• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Beta : Impressions and Discussion

jstevenson said:
-Gun Spawns weren't in the cards, we tried them, but that's not the type of game we want to make.

This makes me sort of sad. :( I think a blend of on-map weapon pickups and loadouts could have worked well. Having say the Carbine, Bullseye, and maybe the Marksman as selectable weapons for your loadouts, but then having the more situational specific/exotic weapons placed in specific spots around the maps. I think the Carbine, Bullseye, and Marksman are all 'general use' enough to be great starter choices with none of them being too overpowered, except for the Marksman potentially.

I think this would have especially worked well with the more 'focused' direction of the multiplayer and would have encouraged more map movement on the smaller maps.

I have to go back and play Rfom. Loved that game. Liked the multiplayer in R2, but wasn't crazy about the SP.

Hey JStevenson, is there any chance we'll ever get Rfom trophies? I was really hoping that would be in the dual pack.

Flunkie

Banned
Just played for the first time.

- Lag and pauses are in full force. Beta, yes; annoying, also yes.
- Get rid of motion blur, Jesus. I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head and turn around and punch me every time I pressed the sprint button or whipped around fast. If I had played any longer, I'd have gotten a headache for sure. Way too much blur. I'm sure that's an easy fix.
- Felt way too unorganized. Just kind of thrown in the matches and chaos ensues. Spawn, headshot by sniper. Spawn, run around a corner, get mowed down instantly. A lot.
- Gameplay is much more herky-jerky than I remember. Aiming (acceleration, really? turned that off) felt choppy. It's gonna sound crazy, but moving feels weird too. Just choppy is the only way I can describe it. Rough.
- Is the FOV different than the previous two? Seems like I'm looking down a hallway.
- Is it just me, or is it way easier to die in R3 compared to the first two?
- Speaking of the first two, I'm on the parallel that I just want RFoM back.

Will continue to play, and I realize that it's just a beta, but those are my initial thoughts.

I loved the single player demo.

VanWinkle

To people thinking R1 looked better, that's just silly. Here's R1 in one of its better areas graphically (in single player, mind you) against a random R3 multiplayer level.

123scj7.jpg
IMGP7726.jpg

If James wants me to delete the R3 image, I can.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
VanWinkle said:
To people thinking R1 looked better, that's just silly. Here's R1 in one of its better areas graphically (in single player, mind you) against a random R3 multiplayer level.

If James wants me to delete the R3 image, I can.

Is that a joke?, outside of the gun the modelling the RFoM pic owns the R3 pic, but from what I've seen of the beta and various videos the particle effects in R3 own most effects in RFoM.

VanWinkle

lowrider007 said:
Is that a joke?, outside of the gun the modelling the RFoM pic owns the R3 pic, but from what I've seen of the beta and various videos the particle effects in R3 own most effects in RFoM.

Really? Care to explain how it graphically "owns" the R3 picture?

delta25

Banned
lowrider007 said:

Go watch gameinformer's 30 minuet preview, there's no way in hell anyone can honestly say that R1 looks better then R3....no freaking way.

Twinduct

I find it crazy that R1's snow is still one of the best, if not the best, weather effect in any FPS game ever. Watching the glass breaking in that youtube vid reminds me how details like that are often missed in modern games.

You know what I would love for next gen? More focus on particle/ physic rendering. I honestly couldn't care less if something is running 30 fps (locked though) and runs at 720p. I want my damn physics sandbox :<

(From Dust Needs to come out sooner)

Loudninja

lowrider007 said:
You are really out of you mind, not in one single way way R1 looks better in R3.I know you love R1 I do too, but saying hyperbolic things like that goes too far.

lowrider007 said:
General environmental modelling, look at the buildings, in fact look at everything.
Again you are very wrong.

Twinduct said:
I find it crazy that R1's snow is still one of the best, if not the best, weather effect in any FPS game ever. Watching the glass breaking in that youtube vid reminds me how details like that are often missed in modern games.

You know what I would love for next gen? More focus on particle/ physic rendering. I honestly couldn't care less if something is running 30 fps (locked though) and runs at 720p. I want my damn physics sandbox :<

(From Dust Needs to come out sooner)
Yep I seen previews state how good R3 weather effects are some of the best.I cant wait too see the snow in R3.

LEGGZZZZ

delta25 said:
Go watch gameinformer's 30 minuet preview, there's no way in hell anyone can honestly say that R1 looks better then R3....no freaking way.

That's what I'm saying. I know people are disappointed in the resolution, but go watch any recent demo of resistance 3 campaign and it shits all over Fall of Man in every department (and rightfully so). They evolved the atmosphere so far ahead of Resistance 1 I thought people would be ecstatic, instead I keep seeing R1>R3 or R2>R3. Starting to think some people are feeling the nostalgia a bit too much, or are just damn delusional.

Yeah, other than the blurriness I'm actually pretty happy with the way the game looks. Both in multiplayer and the campaign. Looks so much better than R2 did.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Loudninja said:
You are really out of you mind, not in one single way way R1 looks better in R3.I know you love R1 I do too, but saying hyperbolic things like that goes too far.

Yep I seen previews state how good R3 weather effects are some of the best.I cat wait too see the snow in R3.

I honest to God wish I could see what your able to see in the R3 image that your finding so amazing, aside from the gun the modelling is better in the RFoM image.

Twinduct

Loudninja said:

Yep I seen previews state how good R3 weather effects are some of the best.I cant wait too see the snow in R3.

Nice :D
Lets hope R2's water doesn't show up or atleast that if it does, it doesn't look like a tarp being blown by wind. I did enjoy the responsiveness of it and on small impacts, it looked really good. Although when the fish boss showed up, it looked all kinds of nasty :p

iratA

jstevenson said:
I'm stoked about you guys playing the Republic of Chad Prison Map, one of my faves, esp. for CTF.

We're going to show another 16p MP map in the near future too.

Sweet. I can't wait to try out some of the other levels.

Oh and this beta reminded me that nothing beats the sound of a Bullseye Tag hiting some poor unsuspecting opponent. ;)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
VanWinkle said:
Really? Care to explain how it graphically "owns" the R3 picture?

Actually I agree with him. In fact they're so close and even if R3 did edge it there, R1 is what 4 years ago now? I'm not trying to complain, because it's a massive upgrade over R2, it's just dissapointing, because RFOM was really an unbelievable start and just had so much potential. Really miss that game :/, but this one isn't that bad so far.

ghostofsparta said:
Most certianly not true. This statement shows me you are not an Rfom junkie. The chimera's huge body/head was easy to aim for and in the end it was very balanced.

First impression cons:

-bad carbine (but better than R2)
-frame rate is bad (understandable since it is a beta, but it worries me since the game is only a couple months away).
-the leapers are dumb and a straight rip off of the dogs in cod.
-I think shields are annoying and stupid and so is cloaking. (spriting+rage was so much better)
-graphics/colors are ugly
-i miss gun spawns
-grenades are better than R2 but still bad. Rfom's target bombs were some of the most fun I've ever had.
Pros:
-honestly, none so far.

I'm going to keep playing and see if it grows on me.

Also sorry James, I know I must seem like a bratty ungrateful teenager but I'm just trying to be honest.

Great everything. R1 developers should start their own company and make another game.

Love this post, couldn't agree with it more. Can we PLEASE get some more talk going about the grenades? The shields/cloak is nowhere near as fun/balanced as chimera vs. human, the Atmosphere and graphics in RFOM were significantly better (IMO and especially for the time), the leapers are a HORRIBLE idea for so many reasons. Bad framerate does not bother me at all as it is the beta. The other things are from a game design standpoint. Again it's definitely a step up from R2, but it's just weird the radical change of direction this series has gone.

Also JS is there anyway to change gun models still? I was hoping we could bring back the original fareye skin. It looked damn good, one of my favorite sniper models.

Loudninja

msdstc said:
Actually I agree with him. In fact they're so close and even if R3 did edge it there, R1 is what 4 years ago now? I'm not trying to complain, because it's a massive upgrade over R2, it's just dissapointing, because RFOM was really an unbelievable start and just had so much potential. Really miss that game :/, but this one isn't that bad so far.
...they are no where near close.

Y2Kev said:
...thinking about the jaggies...

How was R1 so clean? The image is immaculate. Just great art direction?
Yeah, that seems weird to me. Where other games get better aa/ cleaner, this game gets more jaggies. Is it because of resolution?

Seriosly, I already said once or twice. What´s happening with the fingers in this game?. Is so difficult to model a proper finger?. Just copy the one from Resistance 1...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Loudninja said:

Alright well that's your opinion. From a technical standpoint that may be so, but from an art direction/atmosphere standpoint I much prefer RFoM... again it would go RFoM>>>R3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>R2.

edit- also in motion RFoM in motion looked unbelievable. Incrediblly stable and clean, R2 wasn't remotely close, and obviously R3 is yet to come out so can't judge that yet.

Bad framerate? Still so much smoother than Homefront, Medal of Honor and Killzone 3 as the aiming/targeting is much smoother than in the afore-mentioned games. Sure, the stop after you die is super annoying, but by and large and the game runs smoothly.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
RiotPelaaja said:
Bad framerate? Still so much smoother than Homefront, Medal of Honor and Killzone 3 as the aiming/targeting is much smoother than in the afore-mentioned games. Sure, the stop after you die is super annoying, but by and large and the game runs smoothly.

I'd agree with this, but again at the same time if you had played RFoM it was incrediblly fluid. I'm not arguing against this here, just saying those games shouldn't be the ceiling, instead they should always strive to be the best game. This is a beta so I definitely expect that to be cleaned up by release.

Loudninja

msdstc said:
Alright well that's your opinion. From a technical standpoint that may be so, but from an art direction/atmosphere standpoint I much prefer RFoM... again it would go RFoM>>>R3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>R2.

edit- also in motion RFoM in motion looked unbelievable. Incrediblly stable and clean, R2 wasn't remotely close, and obviously R3 is yet to come out so can't judge that yet.
I dont get it, all they things they shown have mcuh more deeper atmosphere than anything in R1.I am talking about the single player not multiplayer.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Loudninja said:
I dont get it, all they things they shown have mcuh more deeper atmosphere than anything in R1.I am talking about the single player not multiplayer.

Again is this not your opinion? I agree some bits in the single player videos have had great atmosphere, which has me amped up for R3. As I've said in my posts multiple times, this is a BETA it has yet to be released, but for now RFOM is well in the lead, we'll see how that changes after I've played the game. Could be better could be worse.

Thrakier

Loudninja said:

Right. R1 has 25% more pixels on screen and better art/modelling. Both use pre baked lighting (R3 in a more complex but less consistent wayn). Aesthetically it's just opionion, but I'm pretty sure who would win that if you tried to make a blind study about it. ;)

Also I encourage you guys to check the "skyboxes" aka the distant background in the beta. Just do it.

NBtoaster

Thrakier said:
Right. R1 has 25% more pixels on screen and better art/modelling. Both use pre baked lighting (R3 in a more complex but less consistent wayn). Aesthetically it's just opionion, but I'm pretty sure who would win that if you tried to make a blind study about it. ;)

Also I encourage you guys to check the "skyboxes" aka the distant background in the beta. Just do it.

Are you just talking about just art or actual tech? Sans resolution and glass, there is no question that R3 has massive upgrades. You should probably revisit RFOM and see how simple and flat the envionments are by today's (and R3's) standards.

So I just had a game of TDM where I went 41-11 across both rounds. I was running the Strapped combat attribute where you can spawn with 2 or 3 weapons. Well, I had the Marksman as my primary and the Rossmore as my secondary. This combo works extremely well as I can pick guys off at range with the Marksman and then when I'm indoors I'll switch to the Rossmore.

I got a 'Serial Kill' which is 4 enemies consecutively within 4 seconds of each other, with the Auger because we'd pushed the other team back into their spawn and I was just mowing people down. I think I probably killed close to ten people with it...

Also, running head on towards another player cloaked and with the Rossmore equipped is so satisfying. I'm sure there were a few pissed people on the receiving end.

MrPliskin

Banned
msdstc said:
Again is this not your opinion? I agree some bits in the single player videos have had great atmosphere, which has me amped up for R3. As I've said in my posts multiple times, this is a BETA it has yet to be released, but for now RFOM is well in the lead, we'll see how that changes after I've played the game. Could be better could be worse.

Please tell me you're not comparing two MP levels to SP content...

That said, the radio broadcasts alone give the R3 MP stages more atmosphere than anything in FoM. Also, if you dont mind spoilers, watch the first 30 minutes. There's good reason the game has been getting praise.

MrPliskin

Banned
Thrakier said:

lol @ better modeling. You're clearly trolling at this point. Also FoM with more consistent baked lighting? K i'll toss it in and do some awesome off-screen caps to prove that wrong. You're nit picking, so I guess I should too. The "lulz" should be epic for a cherry picker like yourself.

MrPliskin

Banned
mysticwhip said:
i don't see how he's 'clearly trolling' but whatever

The games have pretty glaring differences when it comes to modeling, and R3 comes out on top. Character modeling, building complexity, etc. Even small environmental details are better in R3.

Thrakier

Alright guys, whatever. There are some glaring issues with the current R3 engine but I feel like this shouldn't be discussed in heere or at all. Also, some people just don't see them. So we should talk about actual gameplay from now on and that's quite good so far.

French

Banned
I agree with Thrakier, I just replayed R1 a few days ago and it looks better than R3 beta.

R3 is just too blurry on my TV.

Violater

I think the people praising RFOM visuals over R3 should go back and play the MP and stop putting up SP pics. The online graphics with a few exceptions were rough and in many cases dark. This R1 talk is just a distraction, especially since I don't remember this much praise back in 2007.
R3 IMO just needs to turn down the radius which a leaper can follow you, the length of time they can survive and the damage they inflict. In other words nerf the damn things, additionally tone down whatever effect is making me nauseous every time I am running.

Bollocks

jstevenson said:
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Capture the Flag
Breach
Chain Reaction

Number of Maps: TBA - revealed 3 16p so far. There will also be 8 and 4 player maps.

Co-op: Split-screen or Online. Entire campaign. Co-op player is Havenite John Harper. More on this way of playing soon
Holy Shit!
Wasn't so sure but with this info day 1 then :)
Please confirm that all SP trophies can be done in coop as well?
Most of the fun in RE5 came that way

Grrr, really want to play R1 now, alas it's sitting in it's box in my old room in another country :(

I really don't think we can judge the art of R3 having only seen the first 30mins of single player and i really don't think we can compare the gfx of a multiplayer level against the single player of R1, any game infact, tis a bit unfair.

Loudninja

Bollocks said:
Holy Shit!
Wasn't so sure but with this info day 1 then :)
Please confirm that all SP trophies can be done in coop as well?
Most of the fun in RE5 came that way
I am pretty sure that the game will support trophies for co-op.

Hey guys, I don't have a beta code for R3 but I'm very curious about how it plays so I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I have. I'm a pretty big fan of MP shooters so I'm interested in some of the more intricate elements of R3 to see if it will be worth playing over some of the competition this fall. My MP shooter experience this generation comes from the four most recent CoD's, Halo: Reach, Killzone 2 and 3, Resistance 2, and Battlefield: BC2 (my favorite), just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. Alright, on to the questions:

1. How do "killstreaks" work in R3? Does it seem too easy to chain them (think MW2) or do you still feel like you have to work hard for each one? Are there reasonable counters to the killstreaks or are they basically unstoppable death dealing machines? Do you feel like killstreaks are extremely important to the gameplay, as in MW2, or more peripheral to the core gameplay as in MW?

2. How long does it take to kill someone in terms of other MP shooters? Slightly more than CoD would be my guess from what I've seen.

3. Are the spawns random locations on the map as in CoD or are there "bases" or other pre-determined spawn locations as in BC2 or Killzone 2/3?

4. Is there a respawn timer? If so how long is it? Does it vary based on the mode?

5. How does loadout selection work? Are there "perks," and if so do any of them feel overpowered or irritating?

6. Is there any system in place to encourage playing as a squad, like a spawn on squadmate system or a dedicated voice channel for squads?

Sorry if any of these have already been covered!

I honestly haven't read the thread but if anyone has a spare beta code, throw me a PM. Love the first two Resistance games. Definitely my post anticipated PS3 title.

Violater

Hey Jstevenson can you comment on being able to hide the scoreboard after the match is won so you can see the ending sequence.

Wish the guns did more damage. The shotgun and sniper rifles are 1-2 hit kills but every other gun, seems like you need to unload a whole clip into someone for them to fall.

Loudninja

Bumblebeetuna said:
Wish the guns did more damage. The shotgun and sniper rifles are 1-2 hit kills but every other gun, seems like you need to unload a whole clip into someone for them to fall.
Those guns has faster rate of fire and better range so it evens out imo.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Hey guys, I don't have a beta code for R3 but I'm very curious about how it plays so I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I have. I'm a pretty big fan of MP shooters so I'm interested in some of the more intricate elements of R3 to see if it will be worth playing over some of the competition this fall. My MP shooter experience this generation comes from the four most recent CoD's, Halo: Reach, Killzone 2 and 3, Resistance 2, and Battlefield: BC2 (my favorite), just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. Alright, on to the questions:

1. How do "killstreaks" work in R3? Does it seem too easy to chain them (think MW2) or do you still feel like you have to work hard for each one? Are there reasonable counters to the killstreaks or are they basically unstoppable death dealing machines? Do you feel like killstreaks are extremely important to the gameplay, as in MW2, or more peripheral to the core gameplay as in MW?

2. How long does it take to kill someone in terms of other MP shooters? Slightly more than CoD would be my guess from what I've seen.

3. Are the spawns random locations on the map as in CoD or are there "bases" or other pre-determined spawn locations as in BC2 or Killzone 2/3?

4. Is there a respawn timer? If so how long is it? Does it vary based on the mode?

5. How does loadout selection work? Are there "perks," and if so do any of them feel overpowered or irritating?

6. Is there any system in place to encourage playing as a squad, like a spawn on squadmate system or a dedicated voice channel for squads?

Sorry if any of these have already been covered!

1.Killstreaks works the same you get a certain number of kills in a role and you can activate them.There are very reasonable counters to the killstreaks, one that is not in a beta is the EMP grenade that disables all shields and other devices for 6 seconds.I dont feel the killstreaks are really important so far, but they are fun to use and they don't piss me off.

2.You can die quickly if you are not paying attention, but I feel the health is just right.Head shots are key in this game.

3.Spawns are random from what I seen.

4.Yes there is a respawn time, I forgot how long but it is pretty short.You also get automatically respawn in like 40 seconds.

5.The loadout selection works as you imagine you pick a weapon, 2 abilities and 2 passive abilities.None of them so far seem over power to me.

6.I don't know yet remember this is a beta so we only got a small taste so far.

Cornbread78

Man, I can't wait to jump in tomorrow night! I was up in the mountains all weekend and could get on, but that is about to change!

Top Bottom