• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Beta : Impressions and Discussion

Preordered on the assumtion that those pesky 20000013 errors that I've been experiencing will be gone in the retail version. Will I still get the skin and taunt if I haven't really finished a match yet? I did manage to get to level 2 by killing a few guys in every match before I get disconnected :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I really like this so far but the bullseye seems unfair. Why would you use the carbine? The bullseye doesn't even feel light and floaty like in R1 and R2...it just seems like a freaking monster.

Massa

Y2Kev said:
So I really like this so far but the bullseye seems unfair. Why would you use the carbine? The bullseye doesn't even feel light and floaty like in R1 and R2...it just seems like a freaking monster.

The carbine's secondary fire takes a good chunk of health.

Speaking of, a tip for people new to the series is that if you're not using secondary fire for most of your kills you're doing it wrong.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Y2Kev said:

I like the carbine's ironsights and alt fire. I tend to get more headshots with the carbine. But up close the bullseye is better imo.

noonche

Y2Kev said:

Carbine does more damage on headshots. I've found it is particularly good if you like using ironsights. Strapped with marksman, carbine and EMD is the way to go. Shotgun is also a good replacement for the EMD.

Loudninja

Y2Kev said:
The carbine destroys the bulleye if used right.

dralla said:
seaside can be really annoying. I played a team who sat in the second floor of one of the houses and essentially barricaded themselves in with turrets, hedgehogs and shottys and there was not much we could do. They had the lead already too, and had guys sniping out the windows.
In the final game they will not be doing that!They will be crush.

Darkatomz

Achtius said:
I don't like how they change markmans' secondary. Doesn't even seem that useful anymore.
To be fair, the R2 Marksman was CHEAP. You could fire it around corners to get a couple cheap shots in, AND it would tell you the location of the enemy.

But yeah, it's a little sucky right now. I don't see IG making it any better than it is right now unless some gun gets completely redone in the future with patches.

Grinchy

Banned
As if I planned it every time, I seem to always download public betas the day before they end. Oh well, at least I don't have a bandwidth cap.

From the 40 minutes or so that I played I found things that I liked, but overall it felt like a low-res lag-athon. The guns were nice and I agree with the people who say they feel like they have more substance than in previous Resistance games, but I'm just not sure if I'm sold yet. I need to play some chain reaction before the beta ends. That used to be my favorite mode.

Achtius said:
I don't like how they change markmans' secondary. Doesn't even seem that useful anymore.

Toss the secondary turret into an enemy stronghold and it can do a decent chunk of damage and cause confusion. It upgrades to be more powerful with the Lvl. 3 Marksman also.

Got a big kill streak going and got the Aug for the first time today. Was pretty damn fun to use. I got combat armor right after that but the game ended as soon as I got to use it. Damn!

Loudninja

insomniacgames Insomniac Games
Reminder: R3 Beta ends tonight (10pm PST). Jump on now if you haven't to get your free Hale skin and taunt! bit.ly/nHjgBp <36hrs! #fb
19 minutes ago
http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames

Still got awhile to go.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Y2Kev said:
Put on Gunslinger with the Bullseye. You never need iron sights again and you can wreck people from across the map.

JB1981

Massa said:

Speaking of, a tip for people new to the series is that if you're not using secondary fire for most of your kills you're doing it wrong.
I have never ever gotten a kill using the 40mm nade. I can't think of a situation where I'd use the carbine over the bullseye. I started destroy people once I unlocked the bullseye

Massa said:

It's a fucking 40mm GRENADE LAUNCHER, it's not supposed to take a "good chunk" of health, it's supposed to be at least close to a one-hit kill. In single shot form it's completely useless.

Loudninja said:
The carbine destroys the bulleye if used right.

Apparently only you know how to use it because everybody is using it wrong, hell no it couldn't be the weapon damage needing tweaking.

Loudninja

patsu said:
How do I know whether I got the goodies ?
insomniacgames Insomniac Games
The bonuses for playing the beta will be automatically awarded to you in the final game. You just need to have played between Monday and now
38 minutes ago
http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames

patsu

Grinchy said:
As if I planned it every time, I seem to always download public betas the day before they end. Oh well, at least I don't have a bandwidth cap.

From the 40 minutes or so that I played I found things that I liked, but overall it felt like a low-res lag-athon. The guns were nice and I agree with the people who say they feel like they have more substance than in previous Resistance games, but I'm just not sure if I'm sold yet. I need to play some chain reaction before the beta ends. That used to be my favorite mode.

Yap! The lag and occasional jerk can be annoying in the beta. Insomniac should conclude the beta by publishing a list of things that's fixed. I am sure some are concerned over what they experienced in the public beta.

I agree that either the Carbine needs tweaked or the Marksman does. While I can kill with the Carbine, I feel like there's no reason to use it over the Marksman. To me, the Carbine's optimum range should be mid to long-mid range, the Bullseye's sweet spot should be mid to short-mid range, and the Marksman should be most efficient from long to long-mid range. To me though, the Marksman is great from mid range to long range and the Bullseye is great at short range to mid range leaving the Carbine redundant. The 40mm does a good job at differentiating the Carbine from the Bullseye and Marksman, but it's not enough to make me prefer it over the other two.

Ashes

Banned
They nerfed the carbine. Said something about the lack of bullet productions in the main storyline. why that matters in multi-player I do not know.

Grinchy

Banned
ProfessorMoran said:
It's a fucking 40mm GRENADE LAUNCHER, it's not supposed to take a "good chunk" of health, it's supposed to be at least close to a one-hit kill. In single shot form it's completely useless.

Apparently only you know how to use it because everybody is using it wrong, hell no it couldn't be the weapon damage needing tweaking.
In R2, the carbine with its 40mm launcher was one of the worst and most horribly-balanced guns in any FPS ever. (Yes, I'm exagerating, but it was a terrible fucking weapon that made all other weapons pointless to use. I blame that weapon for ruining R2 multi)

That said, I think I actually got a kill with it in the beta after less than an hour of playing but I can't say for sure.

Massa

JB1981 said:
I have never ever gotten a kill using the 40mm nade. I can't think of a situation where I'd use the carbine over the bullseye. I started destroy people once I unlocked the bullseye

Use the 40 as a finisher. If you're in a 1-on-1 battle it makes a helluva difference.

It's a bit easier to use than the Bullseye because with the Bullseye you have to get the first shot perfectly to tag someone. With the carbine you can start shooting first and before they react and get out of your line of sight... BAM, you finish them off.

Works great for me.

Loudninja

Massa said:
Use the 40 as a finisher. If you're in a 1-on-1 battle it makes a helluva difference.

It's a bit easier to use than the Bullseye because with the Bullseye you have to get the first shot perfectly to tag someone. With the carbine you can start shooting first and before they react and get out of your line of sight... BAM, you finish them off.

Works great for me.
Yes people have no idea that the carbine is actually one of the best weapons in multiplayer.

dralla

actually I would say it's hands down the worst. i cant think of a single situation outside of using the 40mm on shields, but even than the Rossmore has a similar secondary fire.

Gaogaogao

is there a way to toggle between marksman with the scope and marksman with iron sights? cause I think I like the hexagon iron sights way more. also, that gun is super powerful, love it.

Loudninja

dralla said:
actually I would say it's hands down the worst. i cant think of a single situation outside of using the 40mm on shields, but even than the Rossmore has a similar secondary fire.
Hahah, it has the best melee attack, a good range and a nice alt.The Rossmore secondary does not compare to the carbine.

Jubs

Atomizer seems a bit op, especially in chain reaction. Atomizer + leapers + turret = rape in chain reaction. Ridiculous. Go into a hot zone, toss a nade, lay down a turret, throw down the atomizer alt-fire, and go to town zapping everyone you see. You die, leapers and turret cleans up. I went like 82-17 over two games doing that.

Darkatomz

With no major changes in sight for the beta, here's my impressions of the beta as of now. I've hit level 20 once and have played maybe 10 hours on top of that. As a preface, I've played and beaten all of the resistance games (R1 is still in my top 5 of the gen), read the first book, and followed the universe outside of the games (ARG, GR, etc). I played the R1 multiplayer for quite some time (it was pretty much the only game I owned for a year since launch, and it was fantastic), and I stuck around for R2 for a while too before I kicked it to the curb. The lack of positives either mean I am indifferent about it, or just haven't noticed it yet.

Gameplay
-Explosives either are too weak, don't register correctly, or just lag heavily. I've seem hedgehogs and frags blow up at feet and the enemy will still live. Also, is the frag slightly stronger than the hedgehog, or is it just me??
-A problem that was in R1 and is here also: fuses for grenades when thrown at your own feet are practically non-existent. Why?
-Leapers are really damn annoying. They block movement, sap at health, prevent regeneration, warp lag everywhere, give away location if you shoot at them, etc. I know you guys keep insisting that less people will use then when we have access to the full range of perks, but can you be sure?
-Spawns are terrible. Without fail, you will constantly spawn in the same general area over and over. If you keep running up against a wall of baddies who will take you out every time for whatever reason from the same area and direction, you can imagine how damn annoying it can be.
-Killstreaks are a little whack. I know the shield and cloak suit different playstyles, but in my mind, one is way better than the other. Also, using either can make it really easy to get the Auger (codename: cheap as hell) and the super soldier.
-Melee is too slow. Yeah, it always has been in the Resistance games, but I feel it takes too long before you can input any other action.
-The invisible glitch. Should be self-explanatory.
-Shotgun is a bit overpowered right now. The range should probably be toned down a little bit.
-The sniper is too cheap. There isn't much to counter a sniper with head-on at a distance, and it's pretty damn powerful. The range is insane too.
-When using the Strapped perk, I have spawned sans my secondary/tertiary weapons on multiple occasions. I think this always happens only when the game begins.

*Does crouching even DO anything for accuracy right now?
*I wish this game relied less on ATS and loadouts... Also, the game should have been as fast and arcade-y as the first.

Maps
*I don't have anything loving or hateful to say about Trainyard or Seaside. Just bring back Bus Yard!

Game Types
-There needs to be a hardcore DM and TDM (no perks at all).
-2 rounds for games is too much. The only thing that messes with this is the 3-kill streak when it comes to humans vs. chimera.

Interface
+I love you guys for doing custom controls. Not enough games do this, and all of the mainstream Resistance games have had it. Bueno!

-The 'vote for map' button is so pointless to have there when it doesn't do anything.
-You can currently move the cursor around to access hidden menus when waiting or setting up games in the lobby.
-It is annoying to have invites from people that you CAN NOT delete...
-When loading games, there should be an image of the map being loaded (or something else) instead of the burning parchment screen thing right now. I'm assuming it's just a placeholder.
-My spot box has disappeared from my screen on more than one occasion when active.
-The respawn screen (with the black bars on the top and bottom, where you can choose to change your loadout and see your stats) obscures what is going on in the game. It's hard to see who kills who when there's a black bar covering it all up.
-The scoreboard comes up funny sometimes when the match is over (misalignments)

*Somewhere in matches, there should be an icon and username that lights up when someone on your team speaks into their mic. Think Halo 2.

General/Other
+The music and comic art is fantastic. Really, bravo Insomniac.

-The weapon wheel takes way too long to come up when holding down triangle to bring it up. Also, you can't strafe anymore when it is on screen like in R1. WTF, bring it back...
-You can't reorder the placement of the weapons on the wheel? Again, this was present in R1, and I see zero reason for it to not be here also.
-Similar to the inability to move when the wheel is up, you can't move when the scoreboard is brought up mid game. This will not do, no it will not.
-You either should be able to do stupid stuff when the game-ending scoreboard appears, or just freeze the characters. It's annoying to be running and panting in place for a while.
-It is hard to pick up weapons on the battlefield. Either that, or it just lags a lot. Also, there is a death lag.

*I don't think you should be able to pick what team you play on. Teams get heavily unbalanced when all of the good players migrate to one faction.

So this wasn't as long as I thought it was going to be (my UC3 one was much longer), but this beta is a lot (and I mean a LOT) rougher than the UC3 beta was, and its much closer to launch. I really hope you guys can iron out all the problems, and at least have the multiplayer in a playable state on day one. I'll throw in more comments as more patches come out.

Well, I haven't really been playing between 2.02 and 2.05, but I've gotten myself back to about level 20, and things are pretty different from when I last played. Updated impressions below.

Gameplay
+Grenades definitely feel more responsive now. But I still feel that the frag is more powerful than the Hedgehog, with a larger radius of effect too. But maybe I wasn't imagining things the first time around? Makes sense, since the Hedgehog can be deployed as a mine and the frag is pretty noticeable. Fuses seem fixed too.
+Did the Auger see-thru-wall range get t reduced? If so, good job.
+Shields (personal and bubble) got less health? Nice. Although they should change colors when they are about to break.
+Melee is great now. Has some lunge, and is faster.

-Leapers are still annoying as shit. I die from them a good number of times too.
-Spawns are still screwy. I can spawn in the same location over and over, and I've been spawn killed (and vice versa) on a few occasions.
-The sniper seems cheaper than EVER, especially with campers and the heal beacon. Good lord Insomniac, this is probably going to be the go-to combo for Deadeye users...
-Turrets are powerful. Too powerful?

*A lot more people using the Carbine these days. I do think it got a little boost. Personally, I'd still use the Bullseye if given a choice, simply because of the ironsight.
*Didn't get a chance to see if they fixed the bug with the Strapped perk.
*No more vision rumble when sprinting. Eh, no big deal either way for me.

Interface
-Pretty much all of the problems that I listed last time, save for the Spotter box and scoreboard, have not been addressed.

General/other
+Lag is gone!
+Getting into matches is SUPER fast. Awesome.
+Picking up weapons works now.

-You can move with the scoreboard on screen now. But, the black background obscures everything on-screen, so what's the point? Fade the bg tint a bit.
-Still can't reorder weapons on the wheel... Also, the bg pointer above applies here too.

JB1981

theAntagonist said:
I agree that either the Carbine needs tweaked or the Marksman does. While I can kill with the Carbine, I feel like there's no reason to use it over the Marksman. To me, the Carbine's optimum range should be mid to long-mid range, the Bullseye's sweet spot should be mid to short-mid range, and the Marksman should be most efficient from long to long-mid range. To me though, the Marksman is great from mid range to long range and the Bullseye is great at short range to mid range leaving the Carbine redundant. The 40mm does a good job at differentiating the Carbine from the Bullseye and Marksman, but it's not enough to make me prefer it over the other two.
My thoughts exactly

I love the Carbine. It's the only gun I really feel like using most of the time. I love it's large clip and I just feel comfortable with it all around.

patsu

Thank you Datkatomz. I think Carbine got a little boost too, but it's hard to confirm since Insomniac has been quiet in this aspect.

It feels like they have been listening to our feedback.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
And with that, my short beta time comes to an end. With what else...a freeze. au revoir Resistance 3.

Cornbread78

BETA was a beast, I too just ended my BETA run with a freeze. I hope those are all gone Tue. I did really well in the beta, I hope I can carry that over, my best game was the 26-4 gamw Patsu walked in on last night. The Bullseye is just a beast!

I better be seeing some clan support ant transferability at launch! no CoD/BFBC tag crap....dedication and commitment is needed, lol

Stantron

I spent a couple hours checking out the beta. Overall good experience. However, I really dislike the way players can run and strafe like a ping pong ball. There's little sense of momentum when changing direction. Lag only makes it worse.

patsu

Yap same here. I went out with a freeze too. They probably terminated the servers and that's it ? Hopefully it's not a new issue.

Top Bottom