• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 - VGA Trailer Discussion - September 6th, 2011

Man

Dibbz said:
ra2pua.gif
So incredibly hyped. Looks wonderful.

StateofMind said:
Everything? I guess specifically, it's the lighting that just looks way out there.

Not to mention the pistol is being held at different positions in different videos.

In one it's being hipfired, the other is with the "iron-sights," i.e. probably holding L1 or whatever.

Boss Man

highluxury said:
The hat will wear you.
I hope so. I just don't really trust a lot of those scenes. I loved Resistance: Fall of Man so if IG pulled this off I'm going to be pretty damn happy ontop of my hat's head while I play the game.

highluxury said:
Looks like it was laying on the floor, so I think we can presume it was dead and got carried by the explosion.
Ah, that makes sense I suppose.

Pai Pai Master said:
In one it's being hipfired, the other is with the "iron-sights," i.e. probably holding L1 or whatever.
So does that... I think the pistol is centered throughout most of the video though, I guess that's what threw me off. Usually it's the other way around and you see transitions.

Lince

Banned
Team Klimt said:
They do :)

Plus, standard Chimera will flail around wildly when their heatstacks get punctured - and when they explode they cause grenade-like damage to other characters. If you're a sharpshooter you can have a field day.

:O I see someone has been playing around a bit with those gas canisters in the warehouse of the Corynth River level in Killzone 2...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm fairly indifferent towards R1, didn't play R2, but this looks really great. I like the similarities to Half-Life 2's art direction, the rendering looks new and improved, and the animations look great so far. Definitely gonna play this one.

Sorc3r3r said:
The gif is awesome, but it lacks DOF or something like that.
I mean that the chimera model seems projected on a wall if you are focusing your view at the hand+gun.
Don't know how to explain, but feels odd to me.

BTW weapon wheel = insta-buy for me.

The Long Legs gif above does not have depth of field because the gun is not being "aimed". DOF kicks in when you use iron sights.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wow these visuals are ridiculous. THe more I watch, the more I'm impressed. I don't understand how it can be such a huge leap from the 2nd one.

Loudninja

Hey Team Klimt I am pretty sure I know this but the Hammer is not a situation weapon is it?I can bash chimera skulls whenever I want right?

Dibbz

StateofMind said:
Where did that second exploding chimera on the right come from? It looks like it shoots from the first one's leg or something.
Secondary fire maaaan. Tag an enemy and sonic boooom. There were probably dead bodies all around the floor that got kicked up with that blast.

Ashes

Banned
I hope we don't get bullet sponge ai in this game. Cod had brain dead ai, but I like that they went down quick.
I wonder if Insomniac has settled on how they are going to handle player health. Are they going to return to health bars of 1, or the red screen of 2?
I understand that they are trying to make the experiance more immersive, but then why do they have bullet sponge ai? And I never understood how blood splattered screens made it more immersive or realistic... what is that supposed to be? whose eyes goes red, just when they are about to die? Make the player limp, or slow everything down, like in Vanquish, but why cut to horror movie style cinematography? I'm trying to play here, I can't see shit... :lol

If they are trying to make it more intense or let you know you are dieing, then there's got to be another solution to the problem surely. Because nearly dieing and surviving is a way better, more intensive, satisfying experiance, rather then the blood screen, making it difficult and distracting, leading to death and taking me out the game completely.

Loudninja

RoboPlato said:
There was one in Fall of Man.
Yeah that is right,I don't think I ever used it though.

jstevenson said:
At the current moment, once you get it, it stays in inventory.
Very nice, the Resistance games didn't hav much in the way of melee this way you save ammo as well.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Loudninja said:
Hey Team Klimt I am pretty sure I know this but the Hammer is not a situation weapon is it?I can bash chimera skulls whenever I want right?

At the current moment, once you get it, it stays in inventory.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ashes1396 said:
post Cod:waw?

not sure... but if you ever wondered why the Dragon was Green in RFOM (the original red/orange fire effect was AWESOME too) - then you know. Something to do with holding the device lighting human characters on fire and actively participating... vs doing something like throwing an air fuel grenade or exploding a barrel.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
These animated gif's, are they actual real game footage?

Also I like the muted colour tones, I hope the they stick with that.

-viper-

Banned
lowrider007 said:
These animated gif's, are they actual real game footage?

Also I like the muted colour tones, I hope the they stick with that.
The art direction and style looks incredible. I hope the looks consistently good throughout the campaign.

And I think I'm going on a media blackout on most games now :p

I don't want Kilzone 3, Uncharted 3, Infamous 2, Resistance 3 etc to be ruined! I saw 90% of KZ2 and GOW3 before it was released :\

I had hoped they were leaving the old school photo filter over top the graphics though, but it does look so goood!!! that polish time does wonders eh??!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
jstevenson said:
not sure... but if you ever wondered why the Dragon was Green in RFOM (the original red/orange fire effect was AWESOME too) - then you know. Something to do with holding the device lighting human characters on fire and actively participating... vs doing something like throwing an air fuel grenade or exploding a barrel.
And how do you guys learn about this kind of things?
You send a build to SCEE and they check every European law?
Its like that English Church all over agin. =3

rexor0717

Dibbz said:
:O
That is amazing. If this is representative of the final product, this may be one of the best looking console games I've ever seen. This game is slowly becoming my most anticipated game of next year.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Plus will we get to see a lot of chimeran architecture?, the attention to detail of the alien architecture was stunning in RFoM, sadly it was something that didn't seem to get too much attention in R2.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
jstevenson said:
Didn't see this shot posted earlier in the thread:

Its_Cold.jpg
No Deeplinking Please! XD
Ze Germanz again !

Kaako

Felium Defensor
rexor0717 said:
:O
That is amazing. If this is representative of the final product, this may be one of the best looking console games I've ever seen. This game is slowly becoming my most anticipated game of next year.
Final product? No way bro.
They still have almost a year in development. I'd say they'll probably be polishing like crazy in the last 2-4 months. It shall be freaking glorious.

Find a better host JS, and hook us up with some new shots please. :D

Insomniac more than any other company I have seen go through a final layer of graphical polish the last couple months before release that is just staggering. Expect to be further blown away by the fidelity of the game as we get closer to September.

Hot damn that is a gorgeous shot.

Loudninja

Some PS blog comments
James Stevenson | December 11th, 2010 at 11:40 pm

The gameplay section (which obviously wasn’t live action) was all totally in-engine and real-time. Some of it was with a director’s camera, but if the gun was in Capelli’s hand, that’s us playing the game at Insomniac this past week!

About upgrading Guns
James Stevenson | December 11th, 2010 at 11:42 pm

yeah, they show cosmetic, functional and power differences

About the Hammer
James Stevenson | December 11th, 2010 at 11:45 pm

It completely plays into the story why he ends up in the Arena with only a sledgehammer… stay tuned!

About the footage
James Stevenson | December 11th, 2010 at 11:48 pm

The gameplay section was all 100% real-time, in-engine, running game.

About the Story
James Stevenson | December 12th, 2010 at 9:49 am

In many ways, it’s a best of both worlds. The story is a darker, more focused road trip, but uses the in-engine cinematics that R2 really excelled at. The tone is darker like RFOM, but also has some of that Americana that you saw with the christmas decorations in the flooded city, football stadium, etc.

I think it takes the best of both and combines them.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...irst-gameplay-footage-from-the-vgas/#comments

jstevenson said:
Didn't see this shot posted earlier in the thread:

129227031910526.jpg

are you guys leaving this photo filter effect on for the game? or is this only for the stills you are releasing. Didn't look like this was on the trailer footage?

Love it so much when awesome devs bring their A-game. I liked Resistance 2 personally but understand the complaints-- which I'm sure Insomniac is 100% aware of. This is on the path to greatness.

Top Bottom