• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Or Nihilistic is just not a very technically ambitious studio. Golden Abyss is a first-generation game. Compare PSP's first generation games to Peace Walker or Ghost of Sparta.

perhaps. But there are surely a limited number of passes we're providing Sony here.

- Uncharted -not native res but good looking, so holds out promise
- Everybody's golf. not native res and simple enough that they should have managed it. Oh well, the dev isn't known for pushing the envelope
- Resistance - not a major first party team, handed off to someone else.

Perhaps Sony should have given their major IPs to teams that can push the machine. They need something to showcase what it can do - not another game that gives third parties more excuses to release sub-native games.

Maybe, I don't want to crap this thread up with negative Vita talk, I love the system but something is blatantly holding it back, I suspect cpu, either due to low Mhz rating or restrained use due to battery depletion, practically every 3D game is suffering from frame rate issues and running in non native res, every developer says the system is easy to program on so I'm not sure what else the problem could be, I don't think we're going to see big improvements in the future because there isn't a lot to over come in Vita development like with there was with the PS3 for example.

Yeah, I hope we see more native games in the future...Golden Abyss has atrocious AA or lack of...the game is pretty inconsistant...some stuff looks as good as the first uncharted, other stuff not so much...I am sure the inevitable sequel should be a marked improvement

Still, I personally think Soul Sacrifice, the new sly game, and Gravity Rush look better than anything thus far released.

I'm buying this game 1/2 on the fact I liked R1 and R3 and 1/2 on the fact there is NOTHING else to play on the Vita and it's been collecting dust for me for months

Ein Bear

Another game that isn't native res?

Genuine question, did Sony tone down the specs of the Vita before launch or something? I don't see why you'd make such a beautiful screen when you can't get half of your games running at the resolution to take advantage of it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
got Wipeout and Uncharted at launch, nothing else interests me, Lumines is still fucking $40 and I already own Rayman Origins on PS3

Motorstorm RC, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, Super Stardust Delta, all very good cheap games.

Also Hot Shots Golf, that game is like crack, you don't have to be into golf to enjoy the game, very rewarding and easy to get into.

Another game that isn't native res?

Genuine question, did Sony tone down the specs of the Vita before launch or something? I don't see why you'd make such a beautiful screen when you can't get half of your games running at the resolution to take advantage of it.

it's 2012 and many 360/ps3 don't even run a native 720p

Ein Bear

it's 2012 and many 360/ps3 don't even run a native 720p

Oh yeah, and that's definitely stupid too, I just wondered if there was any reason we were seeing it so regularly on Vita.

So far, all the games that are supposed to be real graphical showcases for the system have run at sub-native res. Even Wipeout only runs at 960 x 544 some of the time, and drops down when it has to.

It's just really disappointing, since when you do play something that runs at native res, it looks so, so beautiful =(

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Am i the only one who thinks that the sky+flames of the japanese cover look like a burning USA flag?

Cudder

Another gaffer gave me a 10$ off pre order code for the game, so I've got it coming! Can't wait, I need something else to play on my Vita!

curious that the Japanese Resistance cover doesn't have the stupid "only on playstation" logo

I remember when Sony said they don't like putting that on covers (during the ps2 era) because that would mean almost all their games would have it, my have times changed

Massa

Oh yeah, and that's definitely stupid too, I just wondered if there was any reason we were seeing it so regularly on Vita.

So far, all the games that are supposed to be real graphical showcases for the system have run at sub-native res. Even Wipeout only runs at 960 x 544 some of the time, and drops down when it has to.

It's just really disappointing, since when you do play something that runs at native res, it looks so, so beautiful =(

Most graphical showcases on the 360 and PS3 also don't run at 1080p.

Ein Bear

Most graphical showcases on the 360 and PS3 also don't run at 1080p.

But this is a handheld, where the screen and it's resolution are fixed parts of the hardware. Surely a better comparison would be to say that no graphical showcase on the GB/GBC/GBA/DS/3DS/PSP have ever ran below their system's native resolution.

But this is a handheld, where the screen and it's resolution are fixed parts of the hardware. Surely a better comparison would be to say that no graphical showcase on the GB/GBC/GBA/DS/3DS/PSP have ever ran below their system's native resolution.

I think there were actually a few 3D games for GBA that were rendered below native resolution. Yes, really.

VanWinkle

I was going to get this game, just to have a FPS on Vita, but I don't know. It just seems like it will be really bad. Sub-native res, uninspired art design, short campaign, barebones multiplayer, and doesn't seem to be a steady 30fps. It's really disappointing, because this should have been a AAA game like Resistance 3. Oh well. I'll play this demo and watch out for reviews.

Cornbread78

where is all.the love here? resistance is a pretty damn good series and to have duel analogs for a handheld fps is pretty exciting on its own

Trevelyan

Banned
where is all.the love here? resistance is a pretty damn good series and to have duel analogs for a handheld fps is pretty exciting on its own

I'll be there day 1. This along with Gravity Rush and Mario Tennis should get me through the summer as far as portable gaming goes. Quite excited for this, even started replaying R3 for it. If anyone else is going to get this, add me on PSN: Trevelyan. Also have Unit 13, Wipeout.. pretty much any sony first party game on the Vita.

VanWinkle

where is all.the love here? resistance is a pretty d*** good series and to have duel analogs for a handheld fps is pretty exciting on its own

I love Resistance, but Sony put it in the hands of a developer with a pretty terrible track record, and they made it barebones and devoid of any exciting or interesting art direction (from what we've seen). That's probably why people aren't too excited.

I mean, I'm glad we're getting an FPS on the Vita, but I sure wish Sony would have put it in the hands of a more capable developer who gave it more care and content. Resistance: Retribution on PSP had more content (single player and multiplayer) than this game. That doesn't bode well.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The lack of levels and how short they are really puts me off, I've always enjoyed the Resistance series but rarely touched the MP experience, so as a whole package for the price it is going I think I will be waiting till it is cheaper.

lantus

As much as I want a new game to play on my Vita, I don't think this is going to be it. I haven't seen anything remarkable about this at all and I'm not a big fan of any of the Resistance games to begin with. I think I'm better off waiting till June for Vita month with Metal Gear, Gravity Rush and Strangers Wrath.

KillGore

As much as I want a new game to play on my Vita, I don't think this is going to be it. I haven't seen anything remarkable about this at all and I'm not a big fan of any of the Resistance games to begin with. I think I'm better off waiting till June for Vita month with Metal Gear, Gravity Rush and Strangers Wrath.

Mother of god, please tell me you're not just assuming things

Mileena

Banned
I was going to get this game, just to have a FPS on Vita, but I don't know. It just seems like it will be really bad. Sub-native res, uninspired art design, short campaign, barebones multiplayer, and doesn't seem to be a steady 30fps. It's really disappointing, because this should have been a AAA game like Resistance 3. Oh well. I'll play this demo and watch out for reviews.

It looks this awful and it's not even a consistent 30fps? Why is Sony releasing this kind of shit?

Strangers Wrath is coming. The dev has even posted photos of it running on the Vita....Will be the first I will be playing so looking forward to it.

Edit: Maybe you meant that it is coming in June, in which case they did say they are close to finish.

To those wondering about the Japanese box, the subtitle of the game in Japan is "America's final resistance" so yeah, it is made to look like an American flag.

Man

Hopefully they have learnt from Unit 13 and it's controlling smoother than videos from last year / early this year would have us believe.

Motorstorm RC, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, Super Stardust Delta, all very good cheap games.

Also Hot Shots Golf, that game is like crack, you don't have to be into golf to enjoy the game, very rewarding and easy to get into.

I have motor storm RC, mutant blobs, and stardust, those are nice PSN titles but I'm talking retail titles

Small number of levels and the game length are enough to put me off this. Makes me wonder what the fuck Nihilisitc were doing all this time. They had an incredibly strong base to build on.

theBishop

Banned
The lack of levels and how short they are really puts me off, I've always enjoyed the Resistance series but rarely touched the MP experience, so as a whole package for the price it is going I think I will be waiting till it is cheaper.

The annoying thing is that this doesn't sound like it has much in common with Resistance MP anyway. The first game supported 40 players and had some really cool objective modes. The 2nd game supported 60 players and had rotating objectives, plus the MMO-inspired coop mode. I only played the R3 beta so I don't know the details.

This is only 8 players, with very barebones modes. Maybe it'll do as Vita's first online fps, but it's disappointing.

theBishop

Banned

it's 3/4-confirmed:

The PlayStation Vita port of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath should be released in late June, according to statements made by Just Add Water CEO Stewart Gilray on the PlayStation Blogcast. "That's my intention," Gilray said. "The QA might say 'noooo' but that's my plan anyway."
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/oddworld-strangers-wrath-vita-munchs-oddysee-hd-both-due-in/

The annoying thing is that this doesn't sound like it has much in common with Resistance MP anyway. The first game supported 40 players and had some really cool objective modes. The 2nd game supported 60 players and had rotating objectives, plus the MMO-inspired coop mode. I only played the R3 beta so I don't know the details.

This is only 8 players, with very barebones modes. Maybe it'll do as Vita's first online fps, but it's disappointing.

Maybe Nihilistic felt death match modes fit more in line with gaming on the go. But I have a feeling it has more to do with offering paid dlc a month from now.

I've never played a Resistance game before - should I before this is released?

Every Resistance game is pretty much its own standalone title it terms of story, gameplay, and atmosphere. I'd personally just start with the first but if your starved to play a new vita title. Check Burning Skies out.

Top Bottom