• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

resume tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindekuma

Banned
Couldn't help but go through this old thread after seeing the bump and...yiiiiikes at some of these with the overall design.

Would someone please give me feedback on my resume? I am currently writing my thesis and I am searching for a job. I will graduate on March 2018 but I don’t know if I am too early in the job search?

GPnP5GZM.png

GPnPC8d.png

GPnPUBA.png

Would someone please give me feedback on my resume? I am currently writing my thesis and I am searching for a job. I will graduate on March 2018 but I don’t know if I am too early in the job search?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6u6ij7cu86ok40/cv-english_Document_20171017_113500_1~3.pdf?dl=0

Can't open the file on mobile without the Dropbox app, and I don't know what field you're working in, but 6 months is the upper limit I've seen on applications when I've been looking for post doctoral work. (In roughly the same position as you)

Can't open the file on mobile without the Dropbox app, and I don't know what field you're working in, but 6 months is the upper limit I've seen on applications when I've been looking for post doctoral work. (In roughly the same position as you)

It’s my MSc thesis and it’s in Economics and Finance.
I tried to upload it in a different way so peaople wouldn’t need to open Dropbox, but I don’t know how.

It’s my MSc thesis and it’s in Economics and Finance.
I tried to upload it in a different way so peaople wouldn’t need to open Dropbox, but I don’t know how.

Ok, had a look at it on an actual computer: For a start, you've made a mistake that I suspect you want to fix that I'm putting in email tags so you'll need to quote this to read it.

I don't know much about how they hire in economics, so I can't judge well what is and isn't worth having on your cv. But I do have one suggestion about what I think is a formatting mistake I noticed anyway: The formatting is good, but you're not consistent on how you've ordered things. Most of the sections are by most recent finishing date, which is good, but the Courses, Cases , ... section is the wrong way round.

Ok, had a look at it on an actual computer: For a start, you've made a mistake that I suspect you want to fix that I'm putting in email tags so you'll need to quote this to read it.

I don't know much about how they hire in economics, so I can't judge well what is and isn't worth having on your cv. But I do have one suggestion about what I think is a formatting mistake I noticed anyway: The formatting is good, but you're not consistent on how you've ordered things. Most of the sections are by most recent finishing date, which is good, but the Courses, Cases , ... section is the wrong way round.

Damn, thanks! I did not know you could just highlight and then copy! I have removed it now and will upload a picture. I also oversaw the cases part, thank you for letting me know.

I apologize for the grave digging, but... could someone re-post this layout?

https://imgur.com/v30J0

This is the resume I've been using and have gotten a lot of compliments on it (I wouldn't use it for academic positions, but for jobs and internships it's never after leaving me down).

I actually lost the original Illustrator file (I initially edited it using Inkspace, which is freely available, beforehand) so made a PowerPoint presentation version (it's kind of sad to make your CV in PowerPoint though so I'd keep that on the down-low if anybody wants it):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4yPSMdfyeS_LXZqdFNWV0xTWFk

Don't have it in Word but I'd definitely be interested in a Word or LaTeX file version if anyone has one.

Because it uses non-default fonts it may not display correctly if you download it and try to open it, so here's a list of all fonts in the document that you'll need:

Name - Trajan Pro
Phone/Email/Area - Trajan Pro

Date/Job Title - Myriad Pro Semibold SemiExtende
Job Description - Myriad Pro Light

Education/Experience/etc - Trajan Pro (size 16).

Communication/IT/Personal - Myriad Pro Semibold SemiExtende

Most Illustrator files are a container format that has a PDF inside it. That means you should be able to open Illustrator files in any program that can accept PDF files. You may have to change the extension to .pdf first, and note that this is a feature that can have been disabled by whoever created the file.

I think Inkscape (free) can also open AI files natively.

thespot84

Damn... I don't have adobe suite on my laptop.

Is there any way to convert this template to use in word, or as a word file?

I redid the AI into word a long time ago, just had to find/upload it. Needs a bit of tuning but it's a start. Also don't put education before work experience unless your just graduating:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikhwzvpeu4qymmg/resume2.0_anon.docx?dl=0

I believe the non-standard fonts were droid sans and roboto, available on google fonts for free.

This is the resume I've been using and have gotten a lot of compliments on it (I wouldn't use it for academic positions, but for jobs and internships it's never after leaving me down).

Funny to see how much traction this template got. Glad people dig it.

Big Blue

thats the thing, almost all my jobs are relevant... its just that i've had so many for only working for the past 6 years. and if i dont include something like the lawn business, then there is a couple month gap in employment

No employer is going to raise their eyebrows at a gap of a few months.

thespot84

I think the strength of the design depends on the industry. Even if the design keeps you from getting thrown out (it won't unless it's horrible), that's just a small bump to then be judged on the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom