• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retailers: Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition launching on 12/09 + final boxart

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great game for people who havent played it yet.
Still think they should have included Origins as an extra though.

Coxy100

Banned
I feel like the title "Definitive Edition" warrants more content. I love the game and will pick it up on Switch but more stuff would certainly be nice.
This is how I feel too. Saying that the box art is gorgeous so I could be persuaded to double dip...

Shiggy

Like they did on Vita?

fee_786_587_png

Fully agree.

Arthos

Would get this if not for the fact that I played it on the Vita.

Great game. Glad others have a chance to play it!

VanWinkle

I will buy this when it gets cheap. Already bought and adored it on Vita, and on PS4.

I mean, it included the majority of Origins levels, though.

hatchx

Banned
So wait... are the touch screen parts mandatory? Because I want to play this as a console game, not some mobile nonsense.

If you played docked, it will probably work the same way the PS3/360 version did with the reticule.

It kind of sucks, Legends was really something on WiiU with one player controlling platforms and drawing and stuff whole the 2nd player platformed. Now that I think about it, it was probably the best use of asynchronous multiplayer.

If anyone missed Legends though, get this. It's great.

Vinc

Got this on Vita and 360 at launch and it was so damn good. I wish we'd get a proper follow-up. If this had new levels, I'd consider triple dipping.

Most people also don't own a Switch, I mean come on. Game was great on Vita, and will be great here as well, but passing as I have it on 3? platforms I think already.
Dude, I'm not saying it didn't count on the Vita. A great game counts regardless of the system it's on. My point is that it's now coming to a handheld that's more desirable than the Vita and will quickly outsell it. I mean, more people own a Wii U than a Switch right now but it wouldn't exactly be controversial to say that games would be given a second chance on the Switch or will be on a platform that's more relevant and will be more popular. Hell, at one point, more people owned a Wii U than a PS4 but no one would ever point that out because the PS4 was gonna outsell it in like 5 seconds anyways

Your bias is showing. You argument makes no sense and your going in circles. Please continue.
Lol Okay, sure man. I'm not the one having a tough time seeing that the Switch is a more viable platform going forward than the Vita and thus more people would care for the game being on the Switch than the Vita. Same thing for the Wii U. I don't understand how what I'm saying is preposterous or fanboyish but, hey, you do you

yyr

So wait... are the touch screen parts mandatory? Because I want to play this as a console game, not some mobile nonsense.

The Murfy levels were genius, insanely fun to play IMO, and exclusive to the best versions of the game (Wii U and Vita). The touch controls were mandatory on those platforms, but only during those levels. They played best in co-op when you had additional human players, but were a lot of fun in single-player also. And they didn't play like "mobile nonsense." The control scheme and levels were designed for this game specifically, not tacked on or ripped from a mobile game.

I replayed the game on XB1 when it went free with Gold, where touch control was not possible and you simply play the Murfy levels with your chosen character. These levels then felt non-interactive by comparison and were no longer fun at all.

I realize that this is a point of contention for some folks. Some people hate these levels. But I'll never understand why. There was nothing else quite like it, and there might never be again.

As far as this version goes, I'm guessing that the touch controls are unavailable in docked mode (because it's not possible!), and either mandatory or optional in undocked mode. But we'll find out soon enough, I guess. Other than the fact that both the touch and non-touch versions are available, it sounds like the only other new feature is an expanded Kung Foot mode.

maxcriden

You can play levels without Murphy, whose touch gameplay was exclusive to the Wii U

I'm guessing it'll probably have the option to use the awful qte controls from the non-touch versions of the game, so everybody will be happy.

Agreed. Charcra, the levels even if you play them as a console game will have lots of QTE stuff thrown in since they were designed to be played in co-op or if anything in SP to play as touchscreen levels. And they are quite clever and fun.

Edit: yyr says it much more eloquently above!

In for the Origins levels. Legends was fine outside of the awful touch screen levels and the dumpster fire 8-bit levels, but Origins was so good.

THANK you! Yes, exactly. The Legends levels were solid and good in general but the "8-bit" levels (which are anything but) are complete BS.

With that said, the Origins levels are made much easier to 100% -___- and they're missing some of the great ones.

So is Rayman Rocks just a mode that consolidates every rhythm level?

I'm wondering that too. I would hope for more, new rhythm levels but am expecting they'd advertise that more explicitly.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I bet it has one new music level and I, as a supreme sucker, buy the game again, after having the Wii U, PSV and 360 versions already...

I realize that this is a point of contention for some folks. Some people hate these levels. But I'll never understand why. There was nothing else quite like it, and there might never be again.
These were meant to be played with friends so you could coordinate, so it's understandable why many on GAF didn't take to them.

VanWinkle

Yeah, the 8 bit levels were a joke. I think I quit on the last or second to last one.

Murphy levels were good on touchscreens. I enjoyed them. BUT...I hate that they took away from the amount of regular levels we got, since I like this better.

Shiggy

This was one of the key features listed for the PS4 version:
Rayman Rocks!: Jump to the beat of a drum, punch to the bass line, even zip-line during a guitar sustain. Timing and rhythm are the key to beat these maps set to music. See if you have what it takes to become a Platforming Hero.

So probably not a new mode.

oti

Banned
I love this game and I love Rayman. But I won't pay 40€ for it. An slightly updated mini game? Come on.

Did Legends not sell well enough to justify a bonafide sequel? We're on the second round of ports now, right? It's a bit bizzare that there hasn't even been so much as a rumbling about a sequel.

maxcriden

Did Legends not sell well enough to justify a bonafide sequel? We're on the second round of ports now, right? It's a bit bizzare that there hasn't even been so much as a rumbling about a sequel.

I'm curious how it sold as well. I would be thrilled to see another 2D Rayman....

The UbiArt engine is just sitting there.... ;___;

dickroach

I feel this statement is incredibly loaded and unfair. Rayman Legends was a multiplatform title since day 1, but you somehow register this as a "Wii U port". Nice.

it was originally a Wii U exclusive, it's using the Wii U's touch controls, and it's coming to the Switch.
it's clearly a Wii U port. y u angry

flkraven

Man, how many times are the going to release the same Rayman game. Wish they just did a sequel based around the rhythm levels.

Zalman

I'm gonna assume it boils down to Michel Ancel being busy. He's working on BG&E2 and Wild.

Roo

Not even new levels? Meh...
Played the shit out of the Wii U version and this one doesn't offer anything worth double dipping so it'll be an easy pass.

shmoglish

Getting the platinum (the online challenges...) was a pain in the end, but if I ever buy a switch, I am going to buy this game a third (fourth 🤔) time. Amazing Junp and run.

I'm curious how it sold as well. I would be thrilled to see another 2D Rayman....

The UbiArt engine is just sitting there.... ;___;

And if it isn't greenlighted and in serious development before Vivendi sinks its claws in completely, I bet we won't see another one in a long time.

Gonna hurt when they also quietly cancel BG&E2

yyr

To clear all of the 8-bit levels I memorized the timing on the (identical) non-8-bit levels. It was basically like clearing a song in a music game and then clearing it again with tricky mods. I appreciated the challenge, but if I could choose that or entirely new levels, I'd pick the latter.

Murphy levels were good on touchscreens. I enjoyed them. BUT...I hate that they took away from the amount of regular levels we got, since I like this better.

Well, there is no proof that we'd have actually gotten more new levels if either the Murfy levels or the 8-bit levels hadn't been present. Game design and budget are strange beasts, after all, and new levels would likely have required more of both.

it was originally a Wii U exclusive, it's using the Wii U's touch controls, and it's coming to the Switch.
it's clearly a Wii U port. y u angry

It came out on Vita on the same day as Wii U. It's using the same touch controls as Vita. So is it clearly a Vita port?

And if it isn't greenlighted and in serious development before Vivendi sinks its claws in completely, I bet we won't see another one in a long time.

Gonna hurt when they also quietly cancel BG&E2
Please don't say that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for BG&E2, either as a cross-gen game or next gen game

BiggNife

This would be way more tempting if it included Origins. $40 for a game that is regularly on sale for $15 or less on other platforms doesn't work for me.

LordKano

September is way too crowded already, with more interesting games than a four years old port with no new content.

But for those who didn't play it and don't own any other platforms where it released (hard to believe though), it's a wonderful game.

test_account

XP-39C²
The game is definitelly worth the price for those who havnt played or owned the game before, in my opinion. For double (or triple) dippers, i can see that its a bit too much though.

Top Bottom