• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

catabarez

OK, I want to buy a cable from RCA on ebay that is out of stock. I know she usually sells them as she makes them. Do I need to make an offer in order to initiate a request for one to be made? She asks people to read her FAQ before emailing about offers but for the life of me I cannot find a damn FAQ anywhere on her store pages. Ebay's re-fucking-diculous 1990s web design doesn't help.

What do I need to do?

Monday morning they should be in stock. She closes for the weekend I believe.

Edit: ahh top of the page. So you guys see the latest RetroRGB podcast? Looks like lightgun games will be working on HDTVs soon.

Vespa

Just watched the RGB podcast about the LCD Zapper contraption and the 15ms of lag introduced from the Wiimote is disappointing.

Rirse

Neo Member
If anyone wants to go in on a 100 lot of bitboxes to save some $ I'd be down.

Ok. I'm trying to source what I need to get GBA games on my Gamecube to my PVM. I'll have to slum it in S-video for now. I'm reading that I need to buy one of these and an Action Replay disc,then flash the GBI software to it? Is there a quicker way? I don't want to wait 3 weeks to get that card in.

There was a seller on Amazon who was selling the SD to GC adapter locally that came in after two days, but they are not available now. That probably the best bet for finding one outside of getting the Pal Action Replay/Memory Card Adapter combo.

Conezays

Bah, I feel like such an idiot. I come home to seeing my power light on my PVM (no consoles turned on). I seemingly left the PVM on all week while I was away. My typical OCD care of retro stuff has failed me horribly.

Any tips? Should I avoid using it at all for now?

Yes Boss!

Bah, I feel like such an idiot. I come home to seeing my power light on my PVM (no consoles turned on). I seemingly left the PVM on all week while I was away. My typical OCD care of retro stuff has failed me horribly.

You can basically leave it on all day and for days. Built for that.

Peltz

God, I would love a solution for lightgun games on modern displays. Used to be one of my favorite genres.
I played HotD 2&3 on Wii and field like it was a more than serviceable alternative. There should be more ports of light gun games to modern consoles with pointer controlled peripheral " light guns."

By the way "light gun" styled games are crazy in VR.

bodine1231

They are made to be run 24/7 you are fine. You put,what 150hrs on it? They are made to run 150k+

bodine1231

My little project last night,finally got the Pi running 240p for Mame and GBA (still havent decided to go all in on GCU/GBA). Looks great but I can't seem to figure out how to fill the screen without everything looking wonky.

I still might go the Gamecube route because it'd be nice to remove the Everdrive and continue playing on the go like a retro Switch. And holy shit those Hori controllers are over $100!? If they were like $70 I'd bite, but damn.

BXRv1Rel.jpg

oCwoSbDl.jpg

bobble

My little project last night,finally got the Pi running 240p for Mame and GBA (still havent decided to go all in on GCU/GBA). Looks great but I can't seem to figure out how to fill the screen without everything looking wonky.

details on this if you don't mind!!! (settings, hardware)

I still might go the Gamecube route because it'd be nice to remove the Everdrive and continue playing on the go like a retro Switch. And holy shit those Hori controllers are over $100!? If they were like $70 I'd bite, but damn.
They're not that great to use IMO. I felt the D-pad was too stiff and I didn't appreciate the GCN button array for GBA titles.

I saw someone recommend a SNES controller adapter instead.

Wouldn't a GBA (SP) with that Gamecube link cable be ideal for a retro Switch type of setup like that?

bodine1231

details on this if you don't mind!!! (settings, hardware)

Dubc35's link is what I used. Basically a Pi + VGA666 adapter into a UMSA via SCART from Arcadeforge. RetroRGB has a video in that link with the 240p settings and a video guide.

H3pBC6xl.jpg

I went ahead and purchased everything for GBA/GCU setup. Pal Gamecube,Sd adapter,Pal Scart Gamecube cable and instead of the Hori controller I went with the SNES to GCU from Raphnet. Seems like a better option anyways than the Hori.

catabarez

So I had RCA on ebay replace my Genesis scart cable, I had the old design that people dont suggest anymore. IDK what exactly I should be looking for but is my SNES SCART cable ok? Excuse the hand close ups

Genesis and Master System cables were the only ones that had this issue.

dhonk

Genesis and Master System cables were the only ones that had this issue.

Ahh ok, had no idea. I was just like... these are older scart cables. lol

ALSO: If I mod a SNES Mini with Voultars RGB bypass board and I have Retro Console Accessories' SNES cable from a few years ago... Do I need TTL or not?

Defunkled

Sorry if this has been answered previously in this thread, but should I be wary of anything when using a Framemeister on a 4KHDR TV?

Ruprit

Ahh ok, had no idea. I was just like... these are older scart cables. lol

ALSO: If I mod a SNES Mini with Voultars RGB bypass board and I have Retro Console Accessories' SNES cable from a few years ago... Do I need TTL or not?

I had the same question when I modded my SNES with Voultar's RGB. So, according to the latest Retro Roundtable podcast, there should never be a reason why you would want to short the jumper to output TTL, regardless of whether the cable attenuates for csync.

I modded my SNES a few weeks before that episode aired and I ended up buying a Retro_Console_Accessories csync cable and a Retro Gaming Cables TTL cable. Both output the same quality image, and I never shorted the jumper.

You should be fine.

dhonk

I had the same question when I modded my SNES with Voultar's RGB. So, according to the latest Retro Roundtable podcast, there should never be a reason why you would want to short the jumper to output TTL, regardless of whether the cable attenuates for csync.

I modded my SNES a few weeks before that episode aired and I ended up buying a Retro_Console_Accessories csync cable and a Retro Gaming Cables TTL cable. Both output the same quality image, and I never shorted the jumper.

You should be fine.

Much appreciated, thanks

catabarez

Anyone know what kind of PSU the Analogue NT Mini uses? I want to use one of those RetroDC combined adapters for a Famicom and FDS for it if it is compatible.

Jockel

Sorry if this has been answered previously in this thread, but should I be wary of anything when using a Framemeister on a 4KHDR TV?
It's fine. You can try setting the output to 720p, you might get better results. But in general, it's just as sharp as you'd expect (at least on my Sony X800D).

Ragejoy

Neo Member
Are you just feeding a 720p image to your PVM?
The resolutions varied from 480p to 720p the cable converts it from a digital image to analog and just outputs whatever resolution the device is set to i still have some tinkering to do to see if i can get it to do 240p from pc as well

Hey guys I was interested in planning to build a pc to hook up to my bvm 20f1u to watch old tv shows and play some emulators. Any info on what I would need specifically to get it connected to my bvm?

Thanks!

Jockel

Hey guys I was interested in planning to build a pc to hook up to my bvm 20f1u to watch old tv shows and play some emulators. Any info on what I would need specifically to get it connected to my bvm?

Thanks!
Ideally, an HD4000 series GPU and CRT Emudriver. There are VGA to BNC cables, but you have to make sure it carries HSync and VSync.

linko9

Thanks!

I've done this with three separate gpus, with no problems on my 15kHz pvm. One was an nvidia laptop gpu, one a nvidia desktop gpu, and one a AMD desktop gpu. I know people have said they've had problems, but in my experience as long as the card has analog output, it will work. Most recently did it with a GTX 950. These days the analog output is through DVI rather than VGA in almost all cards. Make sure at least one DVI port is DVI-I rather than just DVI-D; you can check visually by ensuring that port has holes for the red pins at the right of this diagram. As far as I know none of the Nvidia 10XX series has analog output, but the 9XX series does.

Then you'll need a DVI to VGA adapter (tiny thing, might even come with your graphics card), and a VGA to 5 BNC connector (R, G, B, Hsync, Vsync) which costs about 10 dollars. Do not get a 4 BNC connector, as this will only have one sync signal, and you need them both. You just get a 2 to 1 bnc combiner/splitter, and put the two sync cables into it.

BNC-180-1.jpg

Now you have the 4 bnc connectors to connect to your monitor. Should be no problems at all running at 720p or 480p, though I have no first-hand experience with this. If you want to run in 240p, you might need an extra step.

If you're lucky, your graphics card will be able to create a custom resolution of 240 by whatever (it's actually good to use a huge number; I use 240x2560 but some use double that), and it will work no problem (this happened for me on my laptop gpu). However you'll probably want to use the CRU tool, and set up the custom resolution through that utility. You might have to play around with the different values for front porch, sync width, etc. until you get a picture that syncs; it can be a bit finicky.

Anyway, if you don't need to do 240p, it should be a breeze; I imagine you could even do it through intel integrated graphics (I haven't gotten this to work with 240p, but it should handle standard resolutions just fine).

bodine1231

Thanks!

Follow the guide below. It's what I used to get groovymame running on my Blast City cabs.

http://http://wavebeam.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-groovycube-diy-console-that-plays.html?m=1

You can also go cheap with a pi3,VGA666 and UMSA for RGB. This might be a better option and easier to get up and running. Scroll up for some links on how to do it.

Madao

i'm gonna get one of those GCVideo adapters soon.
mainly i want to see how it fares vs the official component cable connected to an OSSC.

plus, it can help giving me more options to hook up my stuff.

Has anyone knowledgable been able to get their hands on it? Not being nasty or anything but I wouldn't go to MJR for AV information having seen his setup videos.

His videos always make me cringe but at least he even admits to doing his videos on the fly.

You can tell that he doesn't understand how the adapter works because he talks about input lag.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i recently got this super famicom with a cheap chinese adapter so it works in europe,
i got a rgb cable for my famicon and i hooked it onto my B&O tv .

but somehow i get a lot of noise in the picture,
Esp on the black. It looks like snow,

Anyone know why the hell it looks so bad with an rgb cable ?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
i'm gonna get one of those GCVideo adapters soon.
mainly i want to see how it fares vs the official component cable connected to an OSSC.

plus, it can help giving me more options to hook up my stuff.
Just be careful it doesn't fry you GCN. Read the GCN thread for details.

Jockel

i recently got this super famicom with a cheap chinese adapter so it works in europe,

Assuming your RGB cable isn't super crappy, it could be a bad PSU or busted graphics unit. If you have a Mega Drive 1 PSU, you can use that on the SFC.

I have the GC-video plug and play mentioned in that video and while the quality of the image is great it has come up that the board still has the design issues that were pointed out before it had a wider release. This can lead to the adapter, if knocked a bit out of place or not properly seated in the first place, shorting itself out along with your console.

Regarding the GCVideo by Zeldaxpro: I've heard its not designed very well. A friend of mine tapped his GC by accident while using it – both the HDMI board and the GC are now "fried" and he could smell the electronic short after the fact.

Peagles

Yeh I'm gonna go with power adapter.

I used one of those cheap Chinese adapters once. It actually blew up. Huge bang and smoke and everything just from leaving it plugged in too long after playing. Tripped the power on one side of the apartment lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom