• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TOTP: check the bottom of last for new OSSC firmware
Sincerely, most games look better with the blur on. Ports maybe not but the games you would actually want to play on N64 were designed with it's presence in mind. Text especially tends to look like hot garbage with deblur.
I think a whitelist solution for toggling devour would be nice. It's a major improvement on some games, and just makes it easier to see issues on others.

Really I just think the N64's video is a pain in the dick and I can't be assed

So, there is HDMI for NES and N64. Is there anyone out there working on SNES, or is there a reason it hasn't happened?

I forget who was talking about this in the MLiG stream on Sunday in the chat. I also forget the exact details, but it sounded like it would be significantly more difficult and highly unlikely to see an SNES HDMI kit.

New OSSC firmware:

I'm not at home to confirm if this solves some of the interlaced detection weirdness as has been discussed on shmups but someone will check as its been discussed at some length recently.

Line x3 and x4 for 480i will be interesting to check out.

Personally I don´t think 480i is bad through the OSSC for PS2 (and I´m using component), compared to straight hook-up it is waaay better. Only downside for me really was the flicker, can be distracting at times.

I have a question about modded Mega Drives. There is modder who sells modded PAL Mega Drives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-MEGA-DRIVE-OVERCLOCK-50-60-HZ-JAP-ENG-CONSOLE-ONLY/182555297011

I have bought a Super Famicom before from him and have been quite happy with the results.

However when it comes to Mega Drives switching between 50/60hz modes. Are there any known problems from playing Japanese games on a modded PAL console or forcing PAL games to output 60hz?

I wouldn't mind it if someone made an HDMI mod like those for some old 8-bit PCs. I recently got a VIC-20 and C64, and their video quality is pretty bad. The C64 can do S-Video, but it's still really noisy.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
SNES RGB amps and getting the right model seems to solve all SNES video issues, so there isn't much need.

SNES FPGA clones are in the works, though.

I was thinking of trying to track down a SNES Component cable but at this point maybe I'll just wait for a FPGA solution instead.

Line x3 and x4 for 480i will be interesting to check out.

Personally I don´t think 480i is bad through the OSSC for PS2 (and I´m using component), compared to straight hook-up it is waaay better. Only downside for me really was the flicker, can be distracting at times.
Do report back. My monitor processes 480i pretty passably so I haven't felt particularly lacking in that department, but I'm curious if those features are a meaningful improvement.
I was thinking of trying to track down a SNES Component cable but at this point maybe I'll just wait for a FPGA solution instead.
You'll likely be waiting quite a while. There's one project that I'm thinking of in particular that seems to be making good headway, but it's still lacking whole hardware pieces in the FPGA, and they're the most difficult aspects, so it's a ways off. I wish I knew what forum that was on, I have to pack for travel tomorrow or I'd do a thorough check for you. You might be able to track it down if you google for SNES FPGA, though.

I got my Hi-Def NES. Holy fucking shit. Worth every penny. I have seen things man was never meant to see, and there's no going back.

hyt08PD.jpg

4iEtHi2.jpg

J7CMc3g.jpg

KzDmCqw.jpg

JPlvu7S.jpg

I realized after I took the Kirby pictures that scaling was turned out by default. I don't know what exactly it does, as I don't know shit about shit. But, I liked it better with it off. Looked more "right". Mario and Castlevania are with it off.

Absolutely blows away my XRGB mini. Maybe I could do better, with my XRGB settings, though. I don't know. All I know is, I would kill to have this mod done on SNES. I would seriously pay up to $500 for it. For now, the SNES will live on through the XRGB, though.

EDIT: Oh, random note. I was worried about there being potential issues with my 4k TV fucking with the image. But, seems to be a non-issue. I had no problem with the input lag through the XRGB. But, this seriously feels even better.

TeaJay

That Kirby looks alright but the Mario pic looks way too... flat? for the lack of better term, for my liking, kinda like those awful filters on ZSNES back in the day (Super 2x Sai Eagle engine etc)

Madao

New OSSC firmware:

I'm not at home to confirm if this solves some of the interlaced detection weirdness as has been discussed on shmups but someone will check as its been discussed at some length recently.

good to see an update.

i had that issue. i'll update my OSSC later today and report back (if i don't forget) to see if it was fixed or not.
it triggers very easily when loading homebrew on Wii so i should be able to tell right away if it's fixed or not.

That Kirby looks alright but the Mario pic looks way too... flat? for the lack of better term, for my liking, kinda like those awful filters on ZSNES back in the day (Super 2x Sai Eagle engine etc)

I thought the same thing last night when I clicked back to this thread and saw that up close picture of Mario. It turns out the scaling was still on. Forgot to click the save button. So, the only picture above without it is Castlevania 3. Here it is without it.

Those are with the default color palette. Here it is with Firebrand X's, which I think is more accurate:

The differences are more dramatic not filtered through my camera. The default has super bright colors, which really makes it pop. But, there's obviously something major to be said about accuracy. It does look kind of dull after playing with the default for a while, though.

Those colors and scaling look much better to my eye. Not a fan of the scaling effects in your first pics. Nice to have a new toy to tinker with! Glad you're pleased with it. Keep reporting back to us as you go.

good to see an update.

i had that issue. i'll update my OSSC later today and report back (if i don't forget) to see if it was fixed or not.
it triggers very easily when loading homebrew on Wii so i should be able to tell right away if it's fixed or not.
Yup, that's where I've seen it too. Not a huge issue as I can just flick the power switch to get it to sync, but annoying.

Beginner's question, how does the Framemeister get on with old PAL consoles that output 50Hz?

Goes well. You just have to figure out the ideal settings if you want to include scanlines. I have had a hard time finding different profiles for PAL consoles. Thought the PS2 looked fine but Super Nintendo looks a bit wide and flat.

Man those pictures above is making the wait for the next shipment of Analogue unbearable!

storafötter;239066325 said:
Goes well. You just have to figure out the ideal settings if you want to include scanlines. I have had a hard time finding different profiles for PAL consoles. Thought the PS2 looked fine but Super Nintendo looks a bit wide and flat.

Man those pictures above is making the wait for the next shipment of Analogue unbearable!

Hmm I do like scanlines and I'd mostly be using it for SNES and Mega Drive.

Are there any work arounds, like hardware mods, or is the only real solution buying NTSC consoles and games?

Mainly I just want to know whether a Framemeister is worth the money if you're living in PAL land.

Are there any work arounds, like hardware mods, or is the only real solution buying NTSC consoles and games?

Mainly I just want to know whether a Framemeister is worth the money if you're living in PAL land.

I am using a hardware mod personally for my Super Famicom. Which outputs both 50hz and 60hz. Keep in mind some games run a bit funky when you force its speed to be different. In particular Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart (jumpy "pixels" on the top of the screen). However most games I have tried forcing 60hz mode with, work fine.

There are ebay sellers who do mods for you. I cant vouch for all of them as some might be dodgy about how they make it. There are plenty of people online dedicated to modding.

I am very satisfied with these guys modding of a Super Famicom.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-FAMIC...844973?hash=item4b1819182d:g:f-QAAOSwY3BZJK0l

Pal games play well and look amazing for once on a Super Famicom. You gotta get a Japanese RGB cable though!

I guess the cheapest for you would be finding someone local who can mod your pal Super Nintendo. Mine didnt work at all anymore so I had no qualms with buying a new modded one.

To answer your last question. I am already satisfied with framemeister even if I only have a SNES to show it off with so far. Planning to get a modded Mega Drive soon. It is an amazing device which gives you tons of options. It is fairly cheap to get modded or original NTSC consoles on ebay. It really depends if you are willing to shell out that much for retro gaming. The OSSC is a cheaper alternative but they are not the same things (framemeister giving you more options).

I have decided the scanlines on the framemeister make the screen too dark for me. I thought my RGB NES was having issues. Turning off the scanlines immediately fixed it.

My other issue was it being super noisy. I discovered it was my RGB switch. It was causing insane noise. Those were the main reasons I bought the hidef NES. But, I'm still happy with it. I like to bring it to a couple of my friends houses to play some RBI Baseball, so it'll be easier to travel without the XRGB. Gonna put a blinking light win in the RGB and then sell it.

Overall, I like the hidef more. But, it's really not worth switching over from one to the other unless you're insane like me.

Madao

Yup, that's where I've seen it too. Not a huge issue as I can just flick the power switch to get it to sync, but annoying.

i updated to 0.77 and seems to perform as good as 0.75, meaning no signal detection issue. it was a quick test but seems to be good so far.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is there any known issue with PS2's sound output being finicky? I'm playing the MegaMan X Collection and some of the sound channels are not high enough/mixed correctly (since I know what they're supposed to sound like). The megabuster sfx and energy refill are audible, but clearly not the correct volume. I've tried using optical out and it has the same issue. The Wii VC version and an emulated version played on the Wii on the same TV sounds correct.

I have decided the scanlines on the framemeister make the screen too dark for me. I thought my RGB NES was having issues. Turning off the scanlines immediately fixed it.

My other issue was it being super noisy. I discovered it was my RGB switch. It was causing insane noise. Those were the main reasons I bought the hidef NES. But, I'm still happy with it. I like to bring it to a couple of my friends houses to play some RBI Baseball, so it'll be easier to travel without the XRGB. Gonna put a blinking light win in the RGB and then sell it.

Overall, I like the hidef more. But, it's really not worth switching over from one to the other unless you're insane like me.

PM'd you about this.

JDH

Anyone know what the best solution is for capturing from OSSC in LineTriple mode without a DVDO?

Could be PC or Mac.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
My new component switch, Audio Authority 1154A. I had one of these back in the day when it retailed for $200+. They're on ebay for sub $50 now a days.

wXGvb4V.jpg

televator

That gives me an idea of getting an optical switch. The dust flaps on optical inputs can be flimsy and I broke one off my reciever. That gives me one good optical input left.

Peltz

wtf_is_that_martin_freeman.gif

Reminds me of the third picture. Also, maybe it's just my eyes, but are the scanlines... off? Like every other line is thicker/thinner than the one above/below it?

Even if you remove the filter like your other pics, something about the scaling of the scanlines may need to be adjusted. Are you scaling to 1080p or 720p?

bobble

My new component switch, Audio Authority 1154A. I had one of these back in the day when it retailed for $200+. They're on ebay for sub $50 now a days.

wXGvb4V.jpg

i have the same switch! super solid, well worth the $20 i paid. it'll treat you right.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

wXGvb4V.jpg
Only thing that bothers me is the audio inputs not being next to the video inputs. It's why I like the B version better but those are still crazy expensive.

So, there is HDMI for NES and N64. Is there anyone out there working on SNES, or is there a reason it hasn't happened?

I vaguely remember reading a forum thread somewhere discussing an HDMI SNES mod and the issues surrounding implementing it. Needless to say, most of it was above my pay grade. All I remember was something involving timing issues with all the different elements of the SNES hardware and getting all the relevant data to the HDMI FPGA board. It was suggested that it would be easier to control timings if more of the elements were simulated on the FPGA.

Imo the best bet is a full FPGA SNES implementation. Kevtris, the engineer behind the Hi-Def NES HDMI board and the Analogue NT and NT Mini is working on a SNES implementation which will be part of his Zimba 3000 FPGA console. The Z3K will have cores for SNES/Genesis/TG-16/NeoGeo and any console older/less powerful that Kevtris has an interest/time to implement. To me this will be the holy grail for hi-fidelity retro gaming and preservation. My SNES died due to bad capacitors and with the Z3K on the horizon, investing any money in old hardware that will soon be perfectly simulated in FPGA seems foolish.

Damn PM system. I just tired again. Would probably be interested in your RGB system when you sell it.

Still nothing. Just sent you one. Let me know if you get it and try to respond to it. If that doesn't work I'll just give you my email.

wtf_is_that_martin_freeman.gif

Reminds me of the third picture. Also, maybe it's just my eyes, but are the scanlines... off? Like every other line is thicker/thinner than the one above/below it?

Even if you remove the filter like your other pics, something about the scaling of the scanlines may need to be adjusted. Are you scaling to 1080p or 720p?

1080p. I thought that was normal. Pretty sure the XRGB does something similar. There was one other setting I liked as well, couldn't decide between the two. I'll post up some pics tonight or tomorrow of the different scanlines settings and see what you all think.

Scaling to 1080p makes scan lines something of an ordeal to get right. It's hard to get a configuration on any device which looks ideal.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
storafötter;238692051 said:
I have a question about modded Mega Drives. There is modder who sells modded PAL Mega Drives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-MEGA-DRIVE-OVERCLOCK-50-60-HZ-JAP-ENG-CONSOLE-ONLY/182555297011

I have bought a Super Famicom before from him and have been quite happy with the results.

However when it comes to Mega Drives switching between 50/60hz modes. Are there any known problems from playing Japanese games on a modded PAL console or forcing PAL games to output 60hz?

I have one of these, and Im not that happy with it honestly. Its wired in a way that make it impossible to open and clean or do stuff without having to resolder some wires, which is pretty annoying :(

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Beginner's question, how does the Framemeister get on with old PAL consoles that output 50Hz?

You can do scanlines with pal-consoles, but you need to set another output resolution, People usually use 720p for ntsc sources, but you need to do 576p for pal and the scanlines will look fine.

Since I got my capture device I've been trying to record older games and upload them to YouTube, since it bugs me that the vast majority of retro game footage out there looks like about VHS quality.

But while doing this I've realized just how much compression YouTube does. Poor F-Zero GX gets butchered. Backgrounds on PS1 games loose their sharp pixelated texture look.

Though I will say that I've gained a lot of additional respect for what John does with his DF Retro videos. I can't imagine the amount of work it takes to put those together. Feels like it takes forever just putting together my little 5 minute gameplay only videos.

Madao

i've got some experience with F-Zero GX. you need to upscale to very high resolutions and use insane bitrates so that youtube uses their high resolution processing on the video and it comes out looking good.

example of a 4K encode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom