• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I think that's an issue with PAL MvC2 itself, rather than you or your equipment, but someone more knowledgeable could probably chime in here.

CHIME! i remember another game on dc also giving me issues on 60hz

def the game ..

Galdelico

After what it's probably been the worst 10 days in my life - went to hospital for a very quick and easy cosmetic surgery, ended up in bed seeing dragons for a week, due to a nasty, unexpected allergic reaction to antibiotics - I'm finally up and running again. And with the gf in another country, I thought the only other reasonable thing to do, in order to celebrate, was to update OSSC's firmware. :D
Quite curious to see if all the new features - and added settings to interlaced video modes - are going to help in any way with the image retention/after flicker issues I've got on my IPS monitor.

Peagles

Lol. How do you get feedback with optical? It's also digital.

Tell us your entire setup exactly.

Well... what do you think their setup is???
Lol

After what it's probably been the worst 10 days in my life - went to hospital for a very quick and easy cosmetic surgery, ended up in bed seeing dragons for a week, due to a nasty, unexpected allergic reaction to antibiotics - I'm finally up and running again. And with the gf in another country, I thought the only other reasonable thing to do, in order to celebrate, was to update OSSC's firmware. :D
Quite curious to see if all the new features - and added settings to interlaced video modes - are going to help in any way with the image retention/after flicker issues I've got on my IPS monitor.

Glad you're on the mend! And lol at celebrating hehe...

Chris_IWS

I can't tell if I'm being dumb with Dreamcast VGA or whether it's my equipment.

I'm running Marvel vs Capcom 2 via VGA to my TV, and when I choose the 60hz option (I'm in the UK so it's PAL) - the screen turns blank and I only get sound.

If I select 50hz it works fine and I get a picture.

I know my TV accepts a 60hz signal as the majority of my collection is NTSC. Also I have played other Dreamcast games in 60hz mode via VGA and they work absolutely fine.

It's really puzzling.

After a bit of research, it seems 60Hz mode doesn't work properly over VGA in the PAL version, unfortunately.

Welp,the old girl finally kicked the bucket. Was playing some Saturn,went to the bathroom and came back and she's not getting power anymore. I'm legit depressed right now,I thought this day wouldnt come for while but its been a great ride. I've been emulating alot anyways but it was always nice knowing I could play the real thing if I needed to. May check Craigslist for a regular CRT on the cheap to hold me over. I bought this PVM 10 years ago for $50 from an FX studio,wont find a deal like that again.

cn3V00zl.jpg

giphy.gif

Sorry to hear about the PVM. Are you located in the U.S. by chance? If so and you're willing to sell, I am willing to pay shipping and buy it from you as is.

Sent you a PM.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is there still really no way to force the Wii to 240p when playing VC N64 games (all other systems work fine). Nothing on the homebrew front?

New VideoGamePerfection Newsletter regarding the OSSC

OSSC 1.6 prototype is here!

The OSSC 1.6 prototype has now arrived courtesy of Markus. We've had a couple of days testing and it's so far so good for the new unit. We had a run-down of the new features in the last newsletter, but in case you missed it here they are again, briefly.

Audio output as standard - No expansion board is required for digital audio output. This saves time and cost for those of you who want audio output, without significantly increasing costs for those who don't need it.

Additional analogue audio inputs - The existing 3.5mm audio connector is usable as an AV1 audio pass through (the same as current OSSCs) or as an AV2 audio input. This is selectable via a miniature switch.

Additional 3.5mm audio input added - For use with AV3. Great for your Dreamcast!

ossc-16-tease-small.jpg

The next batch is coming

We expect to be able to open orders for the next batch very soon. We have not yet confirmed the price of the 1.6 units as we're still waiting for the quotation from our suppliers. We can tell you however that the next batch will have up to 3000 units.

As discussed in our previous newsletters, based on our survey results this will be a pre-pay batch. Customers will be invited to pay for the unit in advance, then the pre-sold units will be shipped as soon as possible after manufacturing is complete.

Native HDMI output looks really nice

Is there still really no way to force the Wii to 240p when playing VC N64 games (all other systems work fine). Nothing on the homebrew front?

Nope, not yet unfortunately. I've been searching for an answer to this for a while too:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/forcing-n64-vc-games-into-240p-is-it-possible.428320/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1113#post-6469608

Like I mentioned in those posts, it would probably involve some GXRModeObj trickery to fool the official N64 VC emulator to boot into 240p, despite its rendering target being 480i/p. I wish I knew exactly what was going on under the hood, and if there's a technical reason they chose to prohibit 240p on N64 when most other 240p capable consoles on VC supported it.

Yeah, it was silly that the thing didn't have HDMI from the start. Kind of interesting to see how this thing has developed in the year since I got mine.

IIRC it's issues with the licencing and the hdmi spec requiring HDCP protection on the output.

I'll always take DVI over hdmi personally. Same quality without the bullshit. I run all my retro consoles with analog audio anyways so for me the initial run was perfect.

I had a dream last night that Nintendo was running a campaign to rid the world of RGB out for retro games.

I'm too far gone. I cannot be saved.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
IIRC it's issues with the licencing and the hdmi spec requiring HDCP protection on the output.

I'll always take DVI over hdmi personally. Same quality without the bullshit. I run all my retro consoles with analog audio anyways so for me the initial run was perfect.

Yeah, I didn't run into any issues, personally, either. No handshake issues to deal with. Most people probably don't have a setup that works quite as cleanly with the digital video out and analog audio, though.

I had a dream last night that Nintendo was running a campaign to rid the world of RGB out for retro games.

This is the police. Open up. We know you have Virtual Contraband.

Vespa

This actually happened during the n64 era, well, at least in PAL land. It's weird how the SNES before it had RGB and the Cube after.

Nice that the OSSC has an HDMI output now, not enough for me to sell up my DVI version though. I think the only thing that would tempt me is a version which has the ability to use a frame buffer.

Okay, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Framemeister, and I'm wondering if anyone can tally up every other accessory I'll need. I have a 1080p TV, an A/V Reciever, and a Japanese Sega Saturn (with composite cables only).

So, in addition to the Framemeister, what else do I need?

Narroo

Lol. How do you get feedback with optical? It's also digital.

Tell us your entire setup exactly.

... how do you get feedback over optical?

...Okay, I see the confusion.

The feed back shows up on the video signal, but is due to the analogue audio output that's bundled with the component cables on Playstations.

To be more specific, at least with some, models of PS3, mine being a PS3 Slim, the system has rather strong signal reflections that run down the Audio cables in such a way as to interfere with the video cable, causing ghosting. Interestingly, you can't here interference on the audio line. In fact, the video interference occurs even with analogue audio off, so the likely issue is that the component signal is not isolated from the stereo wires and some fraction is reflecting off the ends of the stereo wires before returning to the component wire.

The end effect is ghosting on the video image, which gets progressively worse as you bump up the resolution outputs. There is a soft fix though: Connecting the Stereo Wires to their grounding. The Stereo Wires are coaxial cables, so either running them through a terminator or just jamming the leads into their shielding will remove most of the Ghosting. That said, I was wondering if there was a better solution.

I think the only better solution is HDMI, honestly. Sounds like a hardware design flaw, and it's almost certainly not worth doing some sort of hardware mod to reroute audio.

eEK!

Neo Member
Okay, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Framemeister, and I'm wondering if anyone can tally up every other accessory I'll need. I have a 1080p TV, an A/V Reciever, and a Japanese Sega Saturn (with composite cables only).

A Saturn RGB cable (Euro-SCART or JP-21) and an adapter for whichever standard you pick.

If you buy the Framemiester from Solaris Japan, I think they sell it with either adapter.

Just on Euro vs JP-21 image quality is the same, but switches are much easier to come by for Euro, so most people stick to Euro, also its important not to confuse them as they send power down different pins, so you can short the Framemeister if you use the wrong adapter.

Vespa

Hmm that sounds like an issue I had with the PS2, the cheap component lead I was using would exhibit ringing/ghosting. Touching the L and R phono ends would reduce it somewhat but not 100%. I ended up buying a better cable which didn't have the issue, speedlink was the brand I think.

televator

...Okay, I see the confusion.

The feed back shows up on the video signal, but is due to the analogue audio output that's bundled with the component cables on Playstations.

To be more specific, at least with some, models of PS3, mine being a PS3 Slim, the system has rather strong signal reflections that run down the Audio cables in such a way as to interfere with the video cable, causing ghosting. Interestingly, you can't here interference on the audio line. In fact, the video interference occurs even with analogue audio off, so the likely issue is that the component signal is not isolated from the stereo wires and some fraction is reflecting off the ends of the stereo wires before returning to the component wire.

The end effect is ghosting on the video image, which gets progressively worse as you bump up the resolution outputs. There is a soft fix though: Connecting the Stereo Wires to their grounding. The Stereo Wires are coaxial cables, so either running them through a terminator or just jamming the leads into their shielding will remove most of the Ghosting. That said, I was wondering if there was a better solution.

Oh, I see. I didn't notice ghosting on my phat PS3 using psychole PS2 cables. How apparent is the artifact on yor setup?

So with this new version, where do we stand on the FM vs OSSC hardware showdown?

And how would you use the audio inputs? It's probably something obvious I'm not thinking about...

They still aren't fairly comparable IMO. They do fundamentally differently processing to the video. Adding HDMI doesn't change much aside from convenience factors.

A Saturn RGB cable (Euro-SCART or JP-21) and an adapter for whichever standard you pick.

If you buy the Framemiester from Solaris Japan, I think they sell it with either adapter.

Just on Euro vs JP-21 image quality is the same, but switches are much easier to come by for Euro, so most people stick to Euro, also its important not to confuse them as they send power down different pins, so you can short the Framemeister if you use the wrong adapter.

Err, can you explain this?

edit: and yes, I was going to get it from Solaris.

SCART and JP-21 annoying feature the same connector but annoyingly different pin-outs. You need to pick a standard and stick with it.

Most people will recommend you go with SCART, the Euro standard, because accessories are more common with it. For example, I have a GSCARTSW which is a switch that automatically switches to whichever system I have turned on. This isn't made for JP-21 users because there's not enough interest.

Originally, I had bought JP-21 cables but it became too annoying to manually change cables all the time so I had to buy a new set.

There are 2 types of RGB connector that look identical externally but have different wirings (and thus are incompatible with eachother). One of them is Japanese JP21, the other is Euro SCART. Generally, it's easier for us westerners to use the european standard for obvious reasons (accessibility of cables, switches, etc. due to proximity).

Narroo

Oh, I see. I didn't notice ghosting on my phat PS3 using psychole PS2 cables. How apparent is the artifact on yor setup?

It depends on the TV and resolution. SD resolution on a CRT is 'almost' unnoticable; it can really only be seen on certain screens.

If you try to crank the resolution up on TV's that accept Analogue HD signals, it becomes unusable.

It depends on the TV and resolution. SD resolution on a CRT is 'almost' unnoticable; it can really only be seen on certain screens.

If you try to crank the resolution up on TV's that accept Analogue HD signals, it becomes unusable.

Why are you using component anyway?

You'll need to also get the Euro SCART cable adapter, since the Framemeister only comes with a JP21 one by default, and then a SCART cable for your Saturn.

Go to this link to read up on the RGB specifics with the Saturn:

http://retrorgb.com/saturn.html

dmix90

OG XBOX games coming back tho.
Best way to play them is still on a CRT :)
Most of the catalogue looks rough as is these days..... upscale that shit to 1080p/4k and you will need a new pair of eyeballs. If they increase native resolution it will actually make things even worse.

I think XBOX games look just fine on my 4K TV. I did a run of Halo 1 recently and have bounced in and out of a bunch of games and (framerate issues in some games aside) they all looked good and played well to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom