• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Jamix012

There's no N-Gage thread. While not surprising, I always found the little handheld-phone a little overlooked. It's a shame there's no way to emulate the system that I know of because one of the biggest things holding me back from expanding my collection is that the screen isn't the best thing in the world.

Rich!

Cool setup! It's super cozy.

heh thanks, but it's only temporary. Moving out on Friday. I've been trying to scribble down a plan for the new room at my parents (which coincidentally is the room I used to live in). Problem is, as I've said before, it's tiny. And I'm moving from a house of my own into it, so I have a lot of shit.

With my plans, I've got my 42" TV wall mounted, my massive Secret of Mana poster next to it, my consoles on a 5 tier shelving unit against the wall, a two seater sofa, and my 29" CRT on top of two sets of drawers for my clothes. It's a tight fit, but it'll all work out.

only negative is the flowery wallpaper that's on one wall...

got a two RGB CRT set up going on

There's a good reason why (calibrating the 29" Sony set via service menu). Got it almost perfect now - had SMW running on both via SNES and Wii, and the images are now identical, which is again identical to the reference image I'm using via the PC

hooray! that's dedication, I guess.

I need to learn how to use my TV's service menu calibration. I've managed to get into the service menu, but have no idea what any of the cryptically names settings do.
I just want to straighten the image, it's a bit curvy at certain points on the screen.

Rich!

I need to learn how to use my TV's service menu calibration. I've managed to get into the service menu, but have no idea what any of the cryptically names settings do.
I just want to straighten the image, it's a bit curvy at certain points on the screen.

What TV is it? You should be able to find the service manual online (not the consumer instructions). I found the sony one easily for free, although a lot of sites had it for a cost.

With my Sony CRT, it was a specific four button sequence. Problem is, it was impossible to do with the remote. I had to program my HTC ONE as a remote for it and use that instead.

But now I can access it, I can change horizontal/vertical size and position, bend, pincushion, base colour, base contrast, gain, 16:9 detection (turned that off!), RGB default, etc

What TV is it? You should be able to find the service manual online (not the consumer instructions). I found the sony one easily for free, although a lot of sites had it for a cost.

With my Sony CRT, it was a specific four button sequence. Problem is, it was impossible to do with the remote. I had to program my HTC ONE as a remote for it and use that instead.

But now I can access it, I can change horizontal/vertical size and position, bend, pincushion, base colour, base contrast, gain, 16:9 detection (turned that off!), RGB default, etc

I honestly never thought there would be a specific service manual available online, but I found my model number, searched and a free download was the first result. Thanks for the idea!

Now I just hope I don't break anything..

Rich!

I honestly never thought there would be a specific service manual available online, but I found my model number, searched and a free download was the first result. Thanks for the idea!

Now I just hope I don't break anything..

You will not break anything, I assure you - as long as you write down every single value before you change them (or take photos). If you fuck up, then you can reset it.

Shining

got a two RGB CRT set up going on

There's a good reason why (calibrating the 29" Sony set via service menu). Got it almost perfect now - had SMW running on both via SNES and Wii, and the images are now identical, which is again identical to the reference image I'm using via the PC

hooray! that's dedication, I guess.

Cool setup! It's super cozy.
True that! I'd love to have a small gaming room. I'll be sure to get one once me and the girl move to a bigger place. Actually, my dream of a perfect gaming room is like a small Harry Potterish room under a staircase with a 19" CRT, some wall shelves and a beanbag on the floor :)

IrishNinja

Is that your living room, Irish? If so, your significant other must be hellla cool. My partner's pretty accommodating with the bit of encroaching I do into the common areas (LEGO builds, recent gen systems, Rock Band stuff), but I try to keep the obtrusive retro collection relegated to the game room. So hard though!

Where'd you get that lit SEGA sign from?

heh...fortunately, she's a gamer too, though a sony fangirl who mostly does current or recent gen stuff. her caveat is that posters be framed (which worked out great) and that i leave the living room PC/media hub set up so its easy for her to watch movies/documentaries etc. she helps me keep it neat (cuts out the printed covers for loose PS2 games & UGC stuff etc) and i grab shows she likes watching when i'm at work, so it works out, haha.

the sega light is a seller on ebay who makes em, not too pricey either! one day ill have a house with a classic game room & bar, and ill have that over it.

There's no N-Gage thread. While not surprising, I always found the little handheld-phone a little overlooked. It's a shame there's no way to emulate the system that I know of because one of the biggest things holding me back from expanding my collection is that the screen isn't the best thing in the world.

i just saw someone selling their n-gage collection around assemblergames, i think? i was curious about that stuff too, it'd be fun to mess with if someone had one, even as a novelty.

Samer

I am setting up a retro area at my new flat, it's nowhere near finished but I did connect all the power and video cables, now I just need to hook them up to a nice TV and exhibit my retro games somewhere:

KaxOcgQl.jpg

KGNvedZl.jpg

(excuse my reflex on the glass doors :/)

woodypop

I am setting up a retro area at my new flat, it's nowhere near finished but I did connect all the power and video cables, now I just need to hook them up to a nice TV and exhibit my retro games somewhere:

Oooh, nice and clean. =)

Where'd you get those glass display case/shelves that house the consoles?

blurrygil

I've been considering something similar as far as glass display doors go. But I have SO many systems to display, I just don't think I could afford to get it to all look uniform.

Looks fantastic, btw!!

IrishNinja

damn, i was looking at some working designs art & such for a poster sized print one day, but that's a great image & came out really well man!

Rich!

Thanks people

Shame my phone camera sucks. This print looks amazing in person. It really does not look like it came from a computer image, albeit a very high res one.

Pity that the price has risen on Tesco to £24 a print now...I should have snapped up two or three when they were £5!

edit: lol, found a DLSR. try to ignore the glare from the frame - I have some powerful spotlights in this room and as I was using manual focus, the images are slightly out of focus. fuck. ah well:

kick51

Banned
subbed

I play the shit out of some retro stuff on my PS3, but I want to get a NES and Genesis for a bunch of different games.

I also want to learn to solder and work with electronics so I can mess around with these systems. Being able to, say, add different vid outputs to retro consoles seems like a neat skill to have. A soundproofed dreamcast might be a fun project too. Or replacing optical drives on systems made with brittle old CD tech.

when I move out of my current apt and into somewhere more permanent this year, I'm gonna go crazy on broadcast monitors

Thanks people

Shame my phone camera sucks. This print looks amazing in person. It really does not look like it came from a computer image, albeit a very high res one.

Pity that the price has risen on Tesco to £24 a print now...I should have snapped up two or three when they were £5!

edit: lol, found a DLSR. try to ignore the glare from the frame - I have some powerful spotlights in this room and as I was using manual focus, the images are slightly out of focus. fuck. ah well:

Do you have a copy of the image? I need this!

Celine

Hi Retro GAF!
Would a thread about new homebrew projects and demo for old consoles (let's say until the DC or GBA) be appreciated?

EDIT:
The "game" system requiring a SIMS to be activated and the not-so-good control inputs is what put me off.
Couple it up with lack of good software (Colin McRae Rally and Pathway to the Glory are the only games that I would buy if I'll choose to collect for it).

IrishNinja

^absolutely! and funny, as a bonus on a lot i bought off a forum, i got an N-Gage copy of Monkey Ball today...SEALED

considering trades on that one, feel free to PM if you have Outback Joey (i'll consider loose copies)

blurrygil

^absolutely! and funny, as a bonus on a lot i bought off a forum, i got an N-Gage copy of Monkey Ball today...SEALED

considering trades on that one, feel free to PM if you have Outback Joey (i'll consider loose copies)

You'll find quite a number of NIB NGage titles. I have 7 already. :p

kaiju

^there totally isn't, but there should be! you'd prolly get all kindsa members of PC-GAF to take part too.

Alright, well I think I'm gonna start up an OT for this. PC Gaming always gets the shaft but it has one of the most if not THE most extensive gaming libraries out there. This will be epic!

IrishNinja

took some time & $, but the following:

• Genesis
  • Saturn
  • Dreamcast*
  • NES**
  • SNES
  • N64
  • GC***
  • TurboDuo
  • PS1
  • PS2
  • PS3
are all RGB (except for PS3) and region-free, with caveats:
DC - waiting to hear back from a guy on SHMUPs who is offering to modchip region-free as well as mod my VGA box for RGB/VGA directly into XRGB
NES - think ill just get a Gyromite or Pinball with the adapter and cut it in half like Baphomet does, no hurry as i don't have any fami carts yet
GC - i currently use a freeloader disc but gunsmith is looking into installing chips soon
Duo - is being a bitch about discs but im working on it this week

feels good man, i can now throw anything i want at these & they'll look their best. I still have a CD-I coming in from a friend as a sort've novelty, and no hurry on 3DO or Jaguar unless i see a good deal somewhere, Master System is about the only one left this year but ima hopefully find a boxed one & have it FM modded even if @#$%ing Phantasy Star & them won't utilize it. the best part of all of this is never using composite again.

the next 2 projects:
1) get over to kinko's & print out missing genesis covers in better quality/fitted to clamshells
2) collect cleaning products & take Mzo's advice: i intend to open & thoroughly clean every single cart in the next few months so that these nice systems will last FOREVER and boot every time; after all what's the point in building a collection around accessibility if you can't drunkenly boot up Fire Shark before the inclination passes?

Peagles

I finally got all my retro stuff set up properly in the minimal space I have to work with. It's looking real cozy in here now lol. When it's day time again I'll put up some pics. I'm really chuffed with the result though!

klaus

• Filtering: You take the negative details and magnify them while filtering out all positive aspects of a situation.
  • Polarized Thinking: Things are black or white, good or bad. You have to be perfect or you're a failure. There is no middle ground.
  • Overgeneralization: You come to a general conclusion based on a single incident or piece of evidence. If something bad happens once you expect it to happen over and over again.
  • Mind Reading: Without their saying so, you know what people are feeling and why they act the way they do. In particular, you are able to divine how people are feeling toward you.
  • Castastrophizing: You expect disaster. you notice or hear about a problem and start "what if's". What if tragedy strikes? What if it happens to you?"
  • Personalization: Thinking that everything people do or say is some kind of reaction to you. You also compare yourself to others, trying to determine who's smarter, better looking, etc.
  • Control Fallacies: If you feel externally controlled, you see yourself as helpless, a victim of fate. The fallacy of internal control has you responsible for the pain and happiness of everyone around you.
  • Fallacy of Fairness: You feel resentful because you think you know what's fair but other people won't agree with you.
  • Blaming: You hold other people responsible for your pain, or take the other tack and blame yourself for every problem or reversal.
  • Should: You have a list of ironclad rules about how you and other people should act. People who break the rules anger you and you feel guilty if you violate the rules.
  • Emotional Reasoning: You believe that what you feel must be true-automatically. If you feel stupid and boring, then you must be stupid and boring.
  • Fallacy of Change: You expect that other people will change to suit you if you just pressure or cajole them enough. You need to change people because your hope for happiness seem to depend entirely on them.
  • Global Labeling: You generalize one or two qualities into a negative global judgment.
  • Being Right: You are continually on trial to prove that your opinions and actions are correct. Being wrong is unthinkable and you will go to any length to demonstrate your rightness.
  • Heaven's Reward Fallacy: You expect all your sacrifice and self-denial to pay off, as if there were someone keeping score. You feel better when the reward doesn't come

Reads like an almost perfect description of the typical console warrior on GAF :)

Peagles

Okay finally managed to take a snap, crappy camera phone though beware!

I'm super low on space in this apartment. I dream of a bigger setup, but it's the best I can do for now. That's all under my desk. On top I've got my PC monitor and a PVM for the consoles. I'm gonna try find a little basket to go on top of the sub to put all the controllers in.

I ended up putting a Super Famicom motherboard in that US SNES shell so I didn't have to chop up the SFC case (eww) or continue to search for a way to power the funky US SNES. It's just running off the MD1 power supply.

neat. wire-management is a must though, imo.

i didn't think SFC could work in a NA SNES shell. do the power, reset, and eject all function normally?

Peagles

neat. wire-management is a must though, imo.

i didn't think SFC could work SNES shell. do the power, reset, and eject all function normally?

Got any tips? I haven't even attempted it beyond threading through the side because I only got it setup properly just before I took the pic and everythings so spread out. No idea where to even start!

Works fine actually as everything lines up under the hood. Just had to cut a wee bit of plastic out. A PAL board fits in uninhibited though.

Top Bottom