• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Peagles

Okay cool thanks. I think we have some from PC building, but I don't think it'll make it look tidier because everything's so sprawled out (from top to bottom of the shelf; from side to side with the switch). Maybe I'll just try threading the SCART cables through the holes too and see how that looks. The N64, SNES and GC share a SCART cable though so that one will have to hang still.. More space and an actual entertainment centre would help I'm sure, but for now it's a $10 shoe rack or nothing, lol!

Does anyone know of some people who might be willing to make custom cables for money? Thanks.

What kind of cables do you need? These guys have a lot of different sorts of cables, and they actually seem to manufacture them themselves. Last time I ordered from them, they sent me an email my order would be shipped the next week after the cable had been manufactured.

So you could email them and ask them if they don't have what you need.

Jamix012

What kind of cables do you need? These guys have a lot of different sorts of cables, and they actually seem to manufacture them themselves. Last time I ordered from them, they sent me an email my order would be shipped the next week after the cable had been manufactured.

So you could email them and ask them if they don't have what you need.

Thanks! Will do.

baphomet

Anyone here familiar with commodore 64 stuff? I recently picked one up cib for a very excellent price($20). Went ahead and got an svideo cable, good controller, and one of those SD card drives. Pretty much just wondering what some of the best games are, and if anyone knows anything about jiffydos(like where to buy, and what they hell it does).

Also anything else I should get for it hardware-wise?

tumblr_n3nwrymSoI1qk6v3ao1_400.gif

tumblr_n3nwrymSoI1qk6v3ao2_500.gif

tumblr_n3nwrymSoI1qk6v3ao3_400.gif

this anime robot is my spirit animal

his head is a opa opa thats pretty good
also,
body is rent a hero's costume
fires a virtua cop justifier gun
mega drive controller on the left forearm
saturn controller on the right forearm
AV intelligent terminal looking forehead
virtual-on style saturn backpack
vmu belt
dreamcast swirl chest piece
dreamcast controller shoulder pads

woodypop

Last weekend (April 5th) I went to the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo 2014. It was my first time at this particular show and I had a fantastic time! It was great to see unfamiliar vendors/merchandise, and meet new people. Pics from the event can be seen here and here.

Picked up some odds n' ends:

48F2D4C9-6102-41B8-BFD3-EB00647D2A08_zpsyvein6ht.jpg

Darius II was a last minute purchase. Not a huge fan of the earlier games, but it's one to add to the collection. Pretty happy to finally get a copy of The Terminator CD. The INXS Make My Video is my most sought after of that series, just because I like the band. All I want now is Marky Mark's game--lol. I already have a cart of Saturday Night Slam Masters, but a CIB copy is nice to have. That Dynamite Duke cover is so damned hokey! Recently saw Gargoyles on a YouTube video, and it piqued my interest. Got it for a decent price.

4DA5DB28-32B9-4EFD-975B-9D721A725861_zpsrzwwot2t.jpg

I've always wanted to try the SFII Interactive Movie, but since it's in Japanese, I doubt I'll get very far. Hope to see some cool anime sequences. Samurai Shodown IV for the PS1 can't hold a candle to the Neo Geo version, but I really like to see how the Neo Geo games fare on other systems. I bought KoF 95 just to have the JPN version, as I've already got the US one. And Neo Geo CD Fatal Fury 3 I've heard is a down grade from FF Special, but I didn't have it, and for $10 figured I could give it a whirl.

28AD219E-A332-4D33-A92B-3DBAD4FDD182_zpsyqvnfhgb.jpg

The PC Engince Core I found in a vendor's box of random stuff. Didn't come with power cord or A/V cable, so I'll have to hunt them down. Fatal Fury Special for PC Engine CD added to the collection for $10. Funny story behind the SNES Fatal Fury Special: it was billed as a CIB copy, but when I inspected it, it had the original Fatal Fury cart inside (not Special). So I bought the box/manual/poster for $10, and just a couple days ago got the Special cart off Ebay for $12. Twin Eagle I got just to have another co-op NES shmup, cuz you can never have too many of those.

1FCF1B32-DC58-42D7-BD3E-EE319670EF0E_zpshvd0tm5f.jpg

This SSFII Turbo HD Remix Press Kit I got as a prize for winning the tournament they held. It comes with a Ryu headband, a magnet of Honda's stage, character stickers to put on the magnet, an Udon comic book, a small Chun Li figurine, and a CD-ROM disc with game assets and information.

Had a pretty good time at the show, and it was fun to go on a little vacation. I'll be back again next year. Next up: The Seattle Retro Gaming Expo!

IrishNinja

^he really does, yeah

woody you made off like a bandit man, good haul! Mzo was talking about hitting up the Portland con in the summer/fall/whenever it is, was debating checking that out if i can come up with the $ between now & then, glad to hear the con you hit up was cool too!

JEKKI

^^You guys should totally try to come, Irish! It's scheduled for October 18-19 this year. I'll bring a console or two to play in the hotel, so we'll get no sleep! lol
I wanna go there!

I heard Portland is amazing!

after 2 years of PAX I dont needa visit Seattle any time soon,

unless it's for Piroshki Piroshki

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, that Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle That Defined a Generation book came out today. I'm about 65 pages in, and I can safely recommend it to all of you. It's excellent. It's basically an in-depth look at all the shenanigans going on between Sega and Nintendo in the '90s, and there's a lot of stuff that'll be of particular interest to people who are into old-school gaming. The book is really well-written, too.

It's a bit on the pricey side, but it's 576 pages, so I think it's worth shelling out for.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0062276697/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So, that Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle That Defined a Generation book came out today. I'm about 65 pages in, and I can safely recommend it to all of you. It's excellent. It's basically an in-depth look at all the shenanigans going on between Sega and Nintendo in the '90s, and there's a lot of stuff that'll be of particular interest to people who are into old-school gaming. The book is really well-written, too.

It's a bit on the pricey side, but it's 576 pages, so I think it's worth shelling out for.

About to start mine. Good to hear.

IrishNinja

damn, i'm sleepin on it for the moment so please post up new stuff you guys learn...i'm gonna be all over this sometime soon, just wondering how much is stuff we don't know. don't know how much faith i have in the film project but it could be cool!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
damn, i'm sleepin on it for the moment so please post up new stuff you guys learn...i'm gonna be all over this sometime soon, just wondering how much is stuff we don't know. don't know how much faith i have in the film project but it could be cool!

It's not so much a series of "did you know?" factoids and more of a narrative of all the crazy shit that went down. It's like every single battle that Sega of America and Sega of Japan had is chronicled here, and you get a sense for who the good guys and bad guys were in this industry.

Sorry for the self promotion, but I will be interviewing the author, Blake J. Harris this week if you have any questions for him. You can reply to this or post them in the Back in my Play thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581047

IrishNinja

It's not so much a series of "did you know?" factoids and more of a narrative of all the crazy shit that went down. It's like every single battle that Sega of America and Sega of Japan had is chronicled here, and you get a sense for who the good guys and bad guys were in this industry.

that sounds damn interesting. im gonna be pretty interested in follow-up pieces since everything i read like that - SegaBase etc - has mad accusations of bias on one side or another, again with interviews of Kalinkse contradicting himself and the like.

Do ya'll keep backup consoles and controllers? I mean like if one should fail, you have a another one.

There are guides online how to repair common problems. So far I've only had to replace the lens on my Gamecube and fix my PS2 DRE problem, but nothing that required a replacement console. That said, I do have some spares in some cases where there was a case/model redesign or for multi region gaming.

Shining

Hm, i don't know if i could handle stuff like that. Never tried tho. All i've ever done is soldering some battery sockets on SNES carts.

Replacing the lens is easier than replacing an SRAM save battery in old carts. Unlike the battery swap, there's no soldering involved. Just need a screwdriver (or game bit for Nintendo systems) and all you do is disconnect the original lens enclosure and connect the new one via the ribbon cable.

If you can get a second system for cheap then absolutely get one though. Now that I think about it it probably would have been cheaper to buy a second hand GameCube than the $10 replacement lens.

IrishNinja

im shit at repairing things, so i try to take care off stuff & keep it dust-free where i can, but any backups i had i gave away to friends when they got more into classic gaming. i think i kept a backup model 2 Sega-CD cause i love my 1 but you never know.

Gunsmithx

And this is why when ever I think of getting rid of some of my many extra consoles(I have like 5 gcs) I never do. Always worried I'll need spares one day

Top Bottom