• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Khaz

Today I was weak. I just bought a game on eBay to one of these German resellers with overpriced BIN and shipping and stock photos only. And I barely understand German so I hope I won't get screwed and receive like a picture of the game or something, lol.

And I just received it. While not utterly disappointed, I'm not exactly thrilled either. I got Golden Axe Warrior for 35€+shipping instead of BIN ranging from 60 to 100€. The first annoying thing was the shipping, 13€ via FedEx instead of something like 5€ via the regular postal service. FedEx means I could have had it overnight, except the seller took a week to actually send it. And I hate using private shipping services, as they never know where I live (my house is a bitch to find, only the postman knows where it is), but I didn't get any choice. Had to spend 20 minutes on the phone with a pissed off delivery guy to explain where to go.

At least it was in complete condition. They have some trick descriptions, their CIB description being "inkl. Originalverpackung und Anleitung" whereas cartridge + box is "Anleitung meist enthalten". The latter meaning "Usually contain instructions" which should be read as "we know there is no instructions but we'll pretend we don't so we can sell it at a higher price. Don't complain if there's no manual." I got the former, but I could have fallen for the latter easily.

And no picture. It means... sunfade! yay! Thankfully it's only on the spine so I have less of a desire to get another Box just to correct that. But I was quite pissed off when I opened the parcel, especially when the description read "in very good condition".

At least the cartridge works. There was no game saved so it as either never been played or the battery is dead or they opened it to flush the memory (there is no mean to delete saves from within the game). I guess I'll have to leave it on its own for about a week to know if the battery is still good.

tl;dr: avoid over-expensive professional sellers without pictures.

just came across this. is sunshine really that disliked? :lol it fucks up the whole theme
tumblr_n6q0jqp4Nr1swqiquo1_1280.jpg

Teknoman

Probably Zelda 1, finish up S&K, and get back into Gunstar. Got a boss that needs killing on Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer too.

The Super Nintendo is still my most favourite video game console of all time.

I feel like there's something more than nostalgia to why I like it so much. There's something really magical about the SNES or Super Famicom. It had such an amazing game library.

It kind of feels like more than a video game console to me. It's kind of like a symbol of everything I love about video games. I just love the Super Nintendo. It really influenced me and what I always expected and wanted more of out of video games. I learned I love Japanese RPGs, and anime, and manga, all because of the Super Nintendo.

So the Super Nintendo is very special to me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
When you use words like "magical", than it's definitely nostalgia.

In my opinion, nostalgia is only something that operates when you contemplate experiences from the past. Nostalgia does not survive once confronted with present experience. If you are playing something now, and still like it, it isn't because of nostalgia.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
People also tend to forget that, while you can be nostalgic for something, that doesn't necessarily mean that you only enjoy it for that reason. I get nostalgic over playing Super Metroid, but I also enjoy playing it because it's a fantastic game.

I would also describe Xenoblade as being magical.

Renpatsu

Am I preaching to the choir here? I've always felt like I'm a generation behind when it comes to video games despite being so interested in all the fancy new games that are announced or the latest run of consoles. I still have fun playing NES games like Nuts & Milk
or Battle City
and honestly don't think it has much to do with nostalgia and more to do with just finding games whose mechanics I'll enjoy in a timeless fashion.

PREACH.gif

I guess I'm joining the choir.

Khaz

Is it still nostalgia if you enjoy playing games you never knew about on a console you cherished years ago? I can easily see my nostalgia goggles easing me into low-res "ugly" graphics but good gameplay is still good.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nostalgia isn't a bad word. Just because you're nostalgic about something doesn't mean its bad. Absolutely, old games can absolutely be awesome and great and play well and everything.

Just don't get carried away.

The Super Nintendo is still my most favourite video game console of all time.

I feel like there's something more than nostalgia to why I like it so much. There's something really magical about the SNES or Super Famicom. It had such an amazing game library.

It kind of feels like more than a video game console to me. It's kind of like a symbol of everything I love about video games. I just love the Super Nintendo. It really influenced me and what I always expected and wanted more of out of video games. I learned I love Japanese RPGs, and anime, and manga, all because of the Super Nintendo.

So the Super Nintendo is very special to me.

There definitely is something special about the 16-bit era: SNES, Genesis, and TG16 included (Super Nintendo being my favorite of the three, as well). To me, it feels like at that point, sprite-based games were at their peak before polygons dominated the industry. There have been awesome sprite based games since, but I personally believe a good amount of developers had really perfected their art by then. When the market changed, developers had to begin anew, re-teaching themselves the craft.

That's just my take, anyhow.

2173704-nuts3.png
Nuts & Milk

Well, this sure looks cool. How does it play?

IrishNinja

was gonna finish SH downpour but i dunno...Mario 64 always looks like fun

also Boss! i never saw that game before..looks fun, even if i don't know what's going on, haha

Yes Boss!

also Boss! i never saw that game before..looks fun, even if i don't know what's going on, haha

It is fun, you gotta retrieve the pieces of a gun that go to the houses, while avoiding the enemies, in order while the Ollie Ollie Oxen Free monster at the top gets closer to your girlfriend...can't dilly-dally. Once you get the gun assembled then it becomes a very slow space invaders type "shoot the saucer" think to kill him and get your girlfriend. Then it gets harder for the next levels...more pieces, less time, etc. Honestly don't really know if it is a good game but was one of my favorites from my childhood!

There's a thread like this? Retro-enthusiast reporting in.

My copy of Chou Aniki on PS1 came in a few days ago, and I'd recommend this game to anyone willing to experience probably one of the most fucked up games ever (or fucking weirdest ever).

I love this kind of stuff though, if anyone knows weird or even something weirder than Chou Aniki, let me know.

Rydeen

I love this kind of stuff though, if anyone knows weird or even something weirder than Chou Aniki, let me know.
Check out:

Trio The Punch, a bizarre beat em up platformer from Data East

Zombie Nation, a weird shmup where you play a giant disembodied samurai head.

Monster Party, mildly disturbing NES platform game.

Pu-Li-Ru-La, an insane beat em up that uses live action photographs as background elements.

Also from the same developer as Cho-Aniki is Gynoug / Wings of Wor, which is definitely worth checking out if you like Cho-Aniki.

Check out:

Trio The Punch, a bizarre beat em up platformer from Data East

Zombie Nation, a weird shmup where you play a giant disembodied samurai head.

Monster Party, mildly disturbing NES platform game.

Pu-Li-Ru-La, an insane beat em up that uses live action photographs as background elements.

Also from the same developer as Cho-Aniki is Gynoug / Wings of Wor, which is definitely worth checking out if you like Cho-Aniki.

Thanks a lot dude, I'm pretty busy right now but I've written down all of those names. I'll check them out as soon as I get back home!

Now, this is a thread I can stand by, and proud at that.

A few of my all time favorites:
full1.jpg

49945_front.jpg

dat Zelda 2 clone doe. (and password feature)
200_s.gif

BattleofOlympusNES.jpg

Yes Boss!

Isn't Spelunker kusoge?

Not really, one of the better games to come out back then. The arcade one is pure shit, though. The first one is just pure bliss. The PS3 remake(s) are some of the best games on that service.

No idea why it gets that rap...maybe from folks who can't master the sublime jump, I'm guessing.

Celine

Happy retro gaming weekend Retro-GAF!

What's everyone playing this weekend?
Did a 6-7 hours marathon with friends this past week end.
They tried for the first time a Neo Geo CD, Saturn and PC Engine Duo.

Magician Lord kicked asses, Legendary Axe amused and Elevator Action Returns/Bubble Symphony were the coop games of the day.

There's a thread like this? Retro-enthusiast reporting in.

My copy of Chou Aniki on PS1 came in a few days ago, and I'd recommend this game to anyone willing to experience probably one of the most fucked up games ever (or fucking weirdest ever).

Also check out Bakushou Yoshimoto No Shinkigeki for PC Engine, Incredible Crisis for PS1 and Lack of Love for Dreamcast.

Rich!

Ended up playing through Tony Hawk 3 a few more times today. I have no idea how this game stays fun.

best soundtrack

best maps

best controls (refined 1+2, without the bullshit 4 bought in)

best secrets (fucking darth maul!)

best multiplayer

For me and my mates, the essential games we absolutely have to play whenever we meet up are Mario Kart 64, Timesplitters 2, Smash Bros Melee and Tony Hawks 3.

Renpatsu

Well, this sure looks cool. How does it play?

Very simple platformer. Collect all the fruit. Avoid your enemies, they will never stop in their pursuit. Try to reach your girlfriend at the top of the level.

It's the momentum based physics and pursuit mechanics that I find enjoyable about Nuts & Milk.

Now, this is a thread I can stand by, and proud at that.

A few of my all time favorites:
full1.jpg

I love you. I feel like I'm the only Spelunker fan on the planet.
That game and Dark Souls rocked my world for the last generation. Nothing else comes close.

I sent fan mail to the Spelunker developer asking for a PC version.
Think of the amazing things that could be done with Steam Workshop .. Custom levels.. oh man, it'd be the next little big planet.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
best soundtrack

best maps

best controls (refined 1+2, without the bullshit 4 bought in)

best secrets (fucking darth maul!)

best multiplayer

For me and my mates, the essential games we absolutely have to play whenever we meet up are Mario Kart 64, Timesplitters 2, Smash Bros Melee and Tony Hawks 3.

I'm still on the fence about 4, honestly. I love 2x and 3, but never played 4. Somehow, I feel like it can't possibly live up. But man, after playing through 2x and 3 again this year, it's just shocking how good those games are. Everything about them holds up.

woodypop

Good day at the newsstand Sunday

2EAD0A79-1287-44E7-8C61-5BCDAECDD49C_zpslul5f9kk.jpg

The issue of Retro Gamer is pretty good, with features on Golden Axe, Game Boy, Tekken series,scrolling beat 'em ups, gaming cheats (think Konami code), and more. Very happy with it!

With Collection Vol. 8, I think I'm at the point where I already have all of the original issues it culls material from. But it's still nice to have it all in one volume.

There definitely is something special about the 16-bit era: SNES, Genesis, and TG16 included (Super Nintendo being my favorite of the three, as well). To me, it feels like at that point, sprite-based games were at their peak before polygons dominated the industry. There have been awesome sprite based games since, but I personally believe a good amount of developers had really perfected their art by then. When the market changed, developers had to begin anew, re-teaching themselves the craft.

That's just my take, anyhow.
While the Super Nintendo was my favourite, this does kind of feel a little bit true.

Though maybe it's the fact that there were fewer 2D games for the PlayStation and so forth that makes me notice it more. Though I do think that people tried really hard with 2D in the 16-Bit era, because they didn't have 3D. So had good technology for 2D and also tried their hardest to make beautiful things with it.

Sadly, I'm not much of a big fan of the SEGA Genesis or Mega Drive. But I do like the 16-Bit era and I try to be open minded.

Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Disney's Magical Quest starrring Mickey Mouse, The Great Circus starring Mickey and Minnie, Disney's Magical Quest starring Mickey and Donald, Star Ocean, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Donkey Kong Country: Diddy's Kong Quest, The Zelda of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Panel de Pon, and Kirby Super Star are all beautiful games.

Peagles

Calling Retro LA/NY Gaf!
My brother is taking a trip to NY and then LA, where should he look for some retro games for me? :p

Top Bottom