• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Yuterald

Been in a total Nintendo mode since E3. Replaying Yoshi's Island (Super Mario Advance 3 - GBA), Virtual Console, on the Wii U...with the (worse?) audio and all. I just got done 100%'ing New Yoshi's Island on 3DS about a month ago and it's been AGES since I've played the OG. I'm like 6 stages in again and it's already way better than I remembered. As much as I liked New Yoshi's Island, it's sort of a turd burger deluxe compared to the SNES game.

Might boot up Mega Man X tonight too...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I haven't played the original Yoshi's Island in 13 years, and I still know it's tha shit. I sold my SNES copy when I bought the GBA version, cuz I thought the GBA version would be better due to the extra stages. Well, that was fucking stupid. I rebought the SNES version a year ago, and I ain't never making that kind of dumbass mistake again.

Yuterald

Yeah, is the regular SNES version available on the vanilla Wii eShop? I feel like it's there, but I can't recall (I may even have already downloaded it before, lol!).

Yeah, is the regular SNES version available on the vanilla Wii eShop? I feel like it's there, but I can't recall (I may even have already downloaded it before, lol!).

No, and it will never be. Nintendo does not own FX chip tech, and are probably too cheap to license it again. Thus they put out the GBA version instead.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
No, and it will never be. Nintendo does not own FX chip tech, and are probably too cheap to license it again. Thus they put out the GBA version instead.

Oh, that's right... I completely forgot they don't own the tech. Man, what a mess.

The GBA version is absolutely no kind of substitute.

brainpann

I think im gonna go abead a buy a neo geo cd. Been looking at them for a while and think i might as well go for it. Its either a Neo Geo CD or an Earthbound cart...

[/spoiler]...been drinking a bit. Alcohol and eBay, lol.
Cant evenget the spoiler right, lol.

Neo geo cd, here i come!!!

I think im gonna go abead a buy a neo geo cd. Been looking at them for a while and think i might as well go for it. Its either a Neo Geo CD or an Earthbound cart...

[/spoiler]...been drinking a bit. Alcohol and eBay, lol.
Cant evenget the spoiler right, lol.

Neo geo cd, here i come!!!
As an owner of a Neo Geo CD, avoid. Or if you must, get the CDZ for improved load times.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
NeoGeo seems like such a pain to collect for no matter how you choose to go about doing it. I'm thinking I'm just gonna buy the PS2 compliations and call it a day, lol.

woodypop

As an owner of a Neo Geo CD, avoid. Or if you must, get the CDZ for improved load times.
Gonna have to chime in here, and disagree a bit. Definitely shoot for a CDZ if possible. But the regular NGCD is fine most of the time. There are a few games (primarily later fighters?) where the load times become very noticeable, but not enough to render the games unplayable. Even when it's an issue, I don't think it occurs often enough to dismiss the standard NGCD entirely.

Mzo

Are any other members of Retro GAF planning to attend the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this year?

I'd love to have some sort of get together happen while I'm there.

woodypop

Are any other members of Retro GAF planning to attend the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this year?

I'd love to have some sort of get together happen while I'm there.
*raises hand*

Wouldn't miss it! (I think I enjoy it even more than PAX)

Slermy

What, Ninja Warriors is crazy expensive now too?

I really need to go through my list of "retro games to buy" and start snapping some up before EVERYTHING gets ridiculous.

brainpann

Gonna have to chime in here, and disagree a bit. Definitely shoot for a CDZ if possible. But the regular NGCD is fine most of the time. There are a few games (primarily later fighters?) where the load times become very noticeable, but not enough to render the games unplayable. Even when it's an issue, I don't think it occurs often enough to dismiss the standard NGCD entirely.

Yeah-i agree. Im not too worried about load times. Doesnt matter though because i still havent pulled the trigger on one yet.

Hey RETRO GAF,

My boxed collection is getting bigger and I think it's time I make some precautionary measures for the sake of protection and longevity.

What are your favorite Plastic Case Box Protectors?
Do you have a favorite seller?

Right now I'm looking at these two sites:

Videogame Box Protectors . com

Retro Protection . com

I believe someone in the NES appreciation thread recommended the latter, and I started with that, but the former site has the Famicom box protectors I also need.

Do you protect your boxes like this, and if so, from where do you buy?

HaL64

Hey RETRO GAF,

My boxed collection is getting bigger and I think it's time I make some precautionary measures for the sake of protection and longevity.

What are your favorite Plastic Case Box Protectors?
Do you have a favorite seller?

Right now I'm looking at these two sites:

Videogame Box Protectors . com

Retro Protection . com

I believe someone in the NES appreciation thread recommended the latter, and I started with that, but the former site has the Famicom box protectors I also need.

Do you protect your boxes like this, and if so, from where do you buy?

I order from both. Retroprotection has slightly roomier snes boxes I've noticed. Which might not be something you want if you don't want to see a couple of millimeters sticking out at the top a bit. It is helpful for sealed games.

The reason I order from both, is sometimes I need certain things the other guy doesn't have. Like Retroprotection sells starfox64 box protectors and many others the other guy doesn't.
Videogameboxprotectors also has the cardboard inserts, the other guy doesn't.

Otherwise, the quality is the same. They even come packaged the same with the same tissue paper between them.

If you only need the plastic protectors, I would stick with videogameboxprotectors. Mainly because of the slightly more snug fit. But you can't go wrong with either.

EDIT:
Here is an example of the difference, the 3 on the left are more roomier than the 1 on the right.
DSC09333.jpg

GulAtiCa

I own too many games. Counting up all my retail games (across all consoles, handhelds, etc), I have 357 retail games on display. Vast majority of those are before the Wii/360/Ps3 era.

IrishNinja

i feel you, man

i'm reprinting just the nintendo (universal game cases for NES, SNES, N64) and a buncha DVD covers, and im sitting on 400+ images, that's before sega-cd/saturn/turbo/etc. really needing a room for this one day.

Do any of you have experience with the various flash carts? I'm looking at the various varieties of the Ever Drive family at stoneagegamer.com.

Khaz

Do any of you have experience with the various flash carts? I'm looking at the various varieties of the Ever Drive family at stoneagegamer.com.

I only heard good feedback about the Everdrives. While not owning one myself, I have been confronted to the many GBA flashcarts. Allowing to put the rom on an SD instead of a proprietary cable/reader, and not having to patch every single game to some other format puts it above everything that ever came from China. They are professionally done, although by a single guy in Ukraine, and the support seem very good with frequent firmware updates. He also have a website with a forum where user can ask for support, report bugs and suggest ameliorations. I know I'll get his products for the Famicom and Super Famicom once I get the consoles. (I'm not starting another collection. Not again.)

Many other stores sell them, and because Krikzz only makes the boards he allows the resellers to make their own cartridges, stickers, boxes, etc. It makes for a good variety of prices and products and some healthy competition between the resellers. Stoneagegamer for example is more expensive but they make a complete product with box, manual, etc.

List of resellers:
http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=7

brainpann

Everdrives are great-cant really beat them. I also have an sd2snes but tbh, i dont think the price is justified, atm. It will play games that the everdrive cant but you might just be better off with the everdrive. However, i love my sd2snes and am reallyglad i bought it.

I order from both. Retroprotection has slightly roomier snes boxes I've noticed. Which might not be something you want if you don't want to see a couple of millimeters sticking out at the top a bit. It is helpful for sealed games.

The reason I order from both, is sometimes I need certain things the other guy doesn't have. Like Retroprotection sells starfox64 box protectors and many others the other guy doesn't.
Videogameboxprotectors also has the cardboard inserts, the other guy doesn't.

Otherwise, the quality is the same. They even come packaged the same with the same tissue paper between them.

If you only need the plastic protectors, I would stick with videogameboxprotectors. Mainly because of the slightly more snug fit. But you can't go wrong with either.

EDIT:
Here is an example of the difference, the 3 on the left are more roomier than the 1 on the right.
DSC09333.jpg

Thanks, pal.

Sooo.... I just pulled the trigger on 150 dollars of protectors and things at Videogameboxprotectors.

Better to get it over with I suppose :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Any there any gaffers that are particularly knowledgeable about pong machines? I'm thinking that I would like one. Kinda of looking for one of the ones that might have the original Pong branding, reliable, at a reasonable market price?

Mzo

I've been stuck on Game and Watch Gallery 4. I don't think I will ever be able to 5-star classic Fire D=

Already unlocked everything. I should move on.

Yuterald

I'm mad considering replaying Alundra, Suikoden and Vandal Hearts. Today is the first day of summer and I think it would be unwise not to set aside some nostalgic playthroughs. I played them to death back in the day, but I'm feeling a bit burned out/lost with current gen gaming. I have all this new shit to play that I've picked up over the past few months, but I don't feel like playing any of them, ha! I may also throw Panzer Dragoon II and Legend of Oasis into the mix...

Khaz

After another Gaffer described how bullshit it was, I had to order and play Choplifter on the Master System. I'll probably be spending my weekend on that level 3.

Yuterald

Well, I cleared Panzer Dragoon II lol! Here's a shitty phone pic of the rank/score I got (took the picture when the countdown was at 0 lol!) Not too bad after not having played the game in many, many years. Had to use a lot of continues though... =/

KexatVk.jpg

Speaking of which, did this game have unlimited play? I used about 5 or 6 to clear the game. I played through the original PD less than a year ago and I recall only having 3 credits, maybe? I read the manual real fast before playing and it said to unlock the Pandora's Box you have to clear the game in one run. Looks like that ain't happening any time soon!

Man, The Unexpected Enemy is like my favorite PD track ever. The final boss was such a boner though. I must have used half of my continues on that guy. His second form was killing my wrist too. You could never lock-on to the guy with that shit trail of water particles behind him, ha! Felt good booting that up. Exactly what I need this afternoon!

GulAtiCa

Mine Atari 7800 & ColicoVision came today and yesterday!

I am now up to 27 unique consoles. This number exludes duplicates and handheld systems.

meppi

Spelunky is the best. Be sure to check out the M2 Collection on J-PS3. Incredible set.

Oh I forgot about that one.

Bought Spelunker HD a couple of months ago and noticed that purchasing it got me a discount for the Spelunker Collection. :)

And as a fantastic bonus, when I opened the Japanese store I noticed that the first couple of Arcade Archives games had been released for the PS4!
Just bought Bomb Jack and Rygar. :D

For people interested in these or the other 3 (Crazy Climber, Exciting Hour and Ninja kun Majono Bouken), search for アーケードアーカイブス in the Japanese PSN store.

Here's what I ordered..

Assembled the dust covers and paired them with loose carts. I'll have to order some more.

Here are my boxed NES games. I realize some of these are shit. They aren't from my original collection, but acquired from my cousin. I left Sonic 2 in that photo. Oops!

Got out my boxed famicom games (some of them aren't pictured, as they have custom box sizes that won't fit in any of the protectors. Also, the Namcot games for example, have their own genesis like cases.. Very nice. Sunsoft games too.
I'll have to show off my cartridges sometime. I've got hundreds and hundreds of games in loose cart form. Boxed is definitely nicer, but when I started my collection in Japan, I picked up my games in the junk section. Almost always got everything for 105-315yen.

All of these Superfamicom games, I got for the same 105-315yen prices. In fact, most of these were the former. I didnt go out of my way to get any of these, just picked them up as I found them. That's why I have some multiples. Hard to not purchase a CIB Chrono Trigger when it's only 1 dollar.

I bought N64 and SNES box proctectors too, but realized I actually have no boxed SNES games, and but a single boxed N64 game. Looks like I'll have to expand my collection...

My boxed Japanese N64 games and Gameboy games don't fit any of these protectors, so they'll have to wait till another day.

I also got manual protectors for NES, SNES/N64 manuals. I had some loose manuals I slipped into protectors, but I haven't gotten around to getting the ones in the boxes. Not sure I want to actually. We'll see.

Anyway, I LOVE what these box protectors do for these cardboard boxes... They make them look so beautiful and you feel confident in their protection. I highly recommend these to anyone with boxed games. You will feel at ease the moment you put youryour crumbly boxed copy of TROG into a shiny, solid box protector.

Top Bottom