• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

That's tough. It had the benefit of not being managed by Commodore but it also didn't attempt to be an affordable machine like the Amiga. X68000 never really took off in its own market. NEC had a monopoly. How would it have elsewhere?

Fularu

Banned
X68000 did arcade ports better(going by Battle of the Ports).
The X68k had the better arcade ports. It (and by a long shot) doesn't have the best gaming library of the 16 bit computers generation (ST, Amiga, PC98, X68k, etc)

That beeing said I've been trying to get a friend of mine to bring me an X68k from Japan on his next trip sonce freaking forever.

Edit : it should also be noted that the Arcade ports could have been just as good on the Amiga had japanese devs been the ones porting them or at the very least helped the european porting houses do the job.

And when it released the Amiga was one expensive piece of hardware. It took the Amiga 500 and 3 years to get the proce slightly down

The X68k had the better arcade ports. It (and by a long shot) doesn't have the best gaming library of the 16 bit computers generation (ST, Amiga, PC98, X68k, etc)

That beeing said I've been trying to get a friend of mine to bring me an X68k from Japan on his next trip sonce freaking forever.

Edit : it should also be noted that the Arcade ports could have been just as good on the Amiga had japanese devs been the ones porting them or at the very least helped the european porting houses do the job.

And when it released the Amiga was one expensive piece of hardware. It took the Amiga 500 and 3 years to get the proce slightly down

A lot of Japanese developers used X68000 as their development computers. CPS is nearly identical hardware for example.

Good luck bringing one home. I recommend just getting one using Yahoo Auctions and a forwarding service like I did. It will end up costing nearly as much as getting one in Akiba and figuring out how to bring it home.

why feel depressed? you joined the retro party and been picking stuff up lately =) nice recent hauls!
lol
i picked up wonderful 101 thanks to you.
thanks! can't touch your collection size yet. but i think wii U library size is manageable.
for 20 bucks, thought it was pretty good deal with an amiibo.

i was just reading the link to that thread. damn...
that's a nice side by side set up. must've cost a fortune to ship.played some double dragon on your NES RGB, very beautiful =)
[/QUOTE]

Haha, somewhat overblown but just makes me feel like I should be doing something more to pick up stuff.

Does anyone know the difference in editions for Paprium is? Is it just the box it comes in? Will they be official boxes or just cover art difference? Site is kind of confusing.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Paprium looks cool, but I'm waiting to see it on a more reasonable platform... since WaterMelon seems more than happy to port their games to every system under the sun. Cool dudes, though -- I worked with them a while back to bring Pier Solar to a certain undisclosed device a few years back.

Yes Boss!

Does anyone know the difference in editions for Paprium is? Is it just the box it comes in? Will they be official boxes or just cover art difference? Site is kind of confusing.

I was trying to figure out as well. Seems as if it is all just one cart...that fits in the two system shapes. And the cardboard packaging on the limited is bit janky so I went with the cheaper cart.

I was trying to figure out as well. Seems as if it is all just one cart...that fits in the two system shapes. And the cardboard packaging on the limited is bit janky so I went with the cheaper cart.

Yeah, having a flimsier case on the limited is pretty annoying. Would have hoped that's plastic not the regular.

Are cheaper sealed SNES games likely legit or fake? Is there a good way to tell? The amount of $50-$60 F-Zero sealed copies on ebay has me intrigued.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, having a flimsier case on the limited is pretty annoying. Would have hoped that's plastic not the regular.

Are cheaper sealed SNES games likely legit or fake? Is there a good way to tell? The amount of $50-$60 F-Zero sealed copies on ebay has me intrigued.

They're legit. Some games got a much later reprint, which has kept prices down. Super Punch Out is another game that got a reprint along those lines.

They're legit. Some games got a much later reprint, which has kept prices down. Super Punch Out is another game that got a reprint along those lines.

Oh sweet, I'll have to pick some up then.

One more question and I'll stop spamming the thread... Is there a way to fix washed out colors on a LCD? My genesis looks horrible even with playing with the settings. I don't remember my saturn looking that bad but genesis looks super washed out through composite for some reason.

Fularu

Banned

Wait the LE has a cardboard case? wtf

I can'T even cancel my preorder then to get a normal one. 20$ more for a cardboard case instead of plastic? They're crazy. LE's give you more, not less for more.

Wait the LE has a cardboard case? wtf

I can'T even cancel my preorder then to get a normal one. 20$ more for a cardboard case instead of plastic? They're crazy. LE's give you more, not less for more.

I don't know if it's 100% confirmed but that's how they did Pier Solar so it will likely be the same as that if you look at unboxings of the two versions for that.

Me again. As promised, I got to the rest of the haul I was talking about.

This grouping is more games from the late 90's which is my wheel house when it comes to PC gaming. Many of these games probably haven't aged well but I still love'em. Much prefer the Windows 98/XP era of PC gaming to the DOS era. I also added some annotations in this one.

Danny Dudekisser

This grouping is more games from the late 90's which is my wheel house when it comes to PC gaming. Many of these games probably haven't aged well but I still love'em. Much prefer the Windows 98/XP era of PC gaming to the DOS era. I also added some annotations in this one.

There we go -- that's my shit right there.

Some great games in there, and it's giving me flashbacks to when I had SLI'd Voodoo 2s, back in 1999. Good times, man.

I think a lot of the PC games from that era have aged better than you might expect -- we were past the point of stupidly obtuse RPGs, games having shitty art across the board, and most of the myriad tech issues.

I really need to go back and buy/rebuy some of the PC games from back then. If it's out on GOG, I'll stick to that release, but for stuff that either doesn't have a DRM-free digital release or that just won't get a modern release, for whatever reason (ie: No One Lives Forever, probably Heavy Metal FAKK 2), I wanna have the retail copy.

Makes me a bit sad but glad it's getting use and love David!

I think about getting a avs console but at that price I'm ok with just a good emulator and scanline shaders..
i know you sold your nes collection already for the Saturn CIB stuff you're collecting =) i love this RGB NES but it can't touch Saturn stuff. i hope you can post up your collection (or link me to it if you already did)
Sir, you are making some good life choices. I approve.

latest
my man! i'll be seeing you in a few weeks. looking forward to chilling and gaming.

i remember playing Descent alot. i actually liked it on an under powered computer... after getting used to 20fps, just didn't feel right at 60fps. LOL

I had a Tandy 1000SX after my hand-me-down C 64, I loved Karateka, it's one of the games I still have the 5.25 floppy from my childhood. To this day I've never beaten Thexder, despite many hours invested as a kid, but that opening title screen introduced me to Beethoven with it's haunting Moonlight Sonata scene.

Those days with that machine playing games like Ancient Art of War, the Sierra On-line games, Sub Logic's Jet and Flight Simulator, LHX Attack Chopper, the list goes on, those were the best days of my childhood before my family imploded, and I remember them fondly, so I'm rather attached to the early days of PC gaming. Through the ninety's I built a 486DX2 and then bought an off the shelf Pentium that I stuck a Voodoo in, but by that time console gaming was eating up more of my free time than PC gaming.
missed this post. oh man those were the days 486.... i remember waiting for the 686 after watching mission impossible =P

IrishNinja

jesus, i'm not a huge PC gamer but a number of my all-time favorites are in that batch - fantastic haul man!

wazoo

Yes, but this is a combination of hardware, dev money and dev skills.

Take this as an example. Space Harrier was ported to Amiga by 2 guys with no editor materials and only information came from playing that arcade cabinet and the programmer wife filming the running game.

Most arcade ports on Amiga are magical considering how they were handled.

Boner inducing for sure. I really wish I had the space back then to store these boxes. I had about 75% of the games shown at that link... beautiful pickup btw

This Saturn group on Facebook that I'm in has a guy who does really high quality reproductions of unreleased and rare titles. You need a modchip or action replay but I'm tempted to pick up a few. $40 for the entire shining Force 3 saga in English is hard to pass up.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AMoCSales/

kdyQVsY.jpg

JTJup5c.jpg

sPwiP71.jpg

NMx10dR.jpg

That's pretty cool and it's good that they are obvious reproductions. Everyone should play SF3. Do you know if the version of Scenario 1 have a patched ending?

Fularu

Banned
That's pretty cool and it's good that they are obvious reproductions. Everyone should play SF3. Do you know if the version of Scenario 1 have a patched ending?
What do you mean by "patched ending"? The original japanese release had a cliffhanger that was "somewhat" changed in the US/PAL releases, is that what you're refering to?

What do you mean by "patched ending"? The original japanese release had a cliffhanger that was "somewhat" changed in the US/PAL releases, is that what you're refering to?

The original ending was replaced by SoA in a poor attempt to give closure because the rest of the saga wasn't coming out. Shining Force Central released a patch for Sc1 to make it more in line with the rest of the games.

Fularu

Banned
The original ending was replaced by SoA in a poor attempt to give closure because the rest of the saga wasn't coming out. Shining Force Central released a patch for Sc1 to make it more in line with the rest of the games.
Yeah that's what I was referencing

If the triple pack includes translated versions of SF3-2 and SF3-3 I would hasard a guess and say it's also the fanslated version of SF3-1 for consistency.

Only way to know for sure is to ask the guy though

I ended up buying a printer that can print onto CDs and make my own for stuff that gets like fan English translations. Like Ys IV for example, I even printed a nice front and back cd cover for the case and it sits next to my Japanese copy.

This Saturn group on Facebook that I'm in has a guy who does really high quality reproductions of unreleased and rare titles. You need a modchip or action replay but I'm tempted to pick up a few. $40 for the entire shining Force 3 saga in English is hard to pass up.

I wasn't aware Soukyugurentai was rare, I got mine pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

These boot with an Action Replay? I was under the impression that any repro/backup Saturn games would require a backup unlocker cart, which an Action Replay can be reconfigured or flashed as.

Also, since there is an English translation patch available now, anybody with a backup loader can get a cheap Japanese copy of Policenauts and patch it for English pretty easily.

damn... seller on ebay had a secret of mana i wanted but it's too damn nice looking and no seller feedback at all so got me spooked. i was hoping it was a GAF member and do the transaction on here. bummer... i guess i'll keep searching for a mana =)

Spladam

That's an awesome collection there, so many memories. I just picked up the GOG copy of Freespace, I'm gonna mod it up and play through it again sometime in the near future.

My copy of Final Fight is arcade perfect minus one sprite. Amiga's version is a mess.

I would love to get an Amiga. Amiga plus X68000 is the ultimate sixteen bit experience. I swear some days I wake up bitter that Intel is dominant instead of Motorola.

As I once said had the X68000 come out in the west it would have decimated the Amiga...it had the type of arcade ports the Amiga could only dream of, and that too with their respective tech's not being that far off from each other (Amiga launched in '85, X68000 '87)
The X68000 was just too expensive when it launched to be very successful in the west, ¥369,000 when it released in 87. Was watching some commercials for it on youtube a couple of weeks back. Found them.

RAIDEN1

Any fans of Streetfighter Alpha dreams here? How easy is it to get into for a "casual" beat-em-up fan? I'm thinking about downloading it off from the PSN....

Danny Dudekisser

Any fans of Streetfighter Alpha dreams here? How easy is it to get into for a "casual" beat-em-up fan? I'm thinking about downloading it off from the PSN....

The PS1 ports of the SFA games are pretty bad, especially considering the alternatives out there. I've always enjoyed Alpha 1, though Alpha 2 is sooo much better. Mechanically, the two games are very similar, too; unlike the difference from Alpha 2 to Alpha 3 where a ton changed.

The X68000 was just too expensive when it launched to be very successful in the west, ¥369,000 when it released in 87. Was watching some commercials for it on youtube a couple of weeks back. Found them.

I think I read that to get one you would need to order from a catalog and wait for Sharp to build your order. People would send them three grand and not get their computer for months. I doubt Sharp lost much money on the X68000 but they definitely didn't have a business model that had room for success. I think if they were able to reduce the price a bit and sell through electronics stores they may have actually put a dent into NEC's monopoly.

Were those games subject to lots of loading and disk changing? I want to say SF2 was.

Most of the games I have are only a couple disks. There's a few though, notably SF2' that have a lot. With enough RAM and a hard disk image though you can load the whole game in advance and you don't have to worry about it but it's difficult to get a machine with extra RAM. Mine has 8MB and I can play almost any game I throw at it without any trouble.

Peltz

The PS1 ports of the SFA games are pretty bad, especially considering the alternatives out there. I've always enjoyed Alpha 1, though Alpha 2 is sooo much better. Mechanically, the two games are very similar, too; unlike the difference from Alpha 2 to Alpha 3 where a ton changed.

They may suck compared to others, but they're cheap and fun. To me SFA3 on Ps1 is good enough for a quick fix.

^i think i grabbed the alpha anthology for ps2. i think that was ps1 ports but not sure =)

collection addition:
this just came in the mail: Pikmin 3, 2, 1 =)
pkimin 3,2, are sealed. i got them off ebay for 60 shipped which i thought was a pretty good deal.
i also grabbed parasite eve II ps1 a long time ago but forgot to post:
HNb0rGch.jpg

Spladam

I think I read that to get one you would need to order from a catalog and wait for Sharp to build your order. People would send them three grand and not get their computer for months. I doubt Sharp lost much money on the X68000 but they definitely didn't have a business model that had room for success. I think if they were able to reduce the price a bit and sell through electronics stores they may have actually put a dent into NEC's monopoly.

Most of the games I have are only a couple disks. There's a few though, notably SF2' that have a lot. With enough RAM and a hard disk image though you can load the whole game in advance and you don't have to worry about it but it's difficult to get a machine with extra RAM. Mine has 8MB and I can play almost any game I throw at it without any trouble.
Just wondering, how long have you had one and what's the game library like? Is it hard to get games for it now? I don't imagine it would be easy to get the disk images off the internet and transfer them to the floppies for it...

Wow, parasite eve II is that much? It still boggles my mine the prices on some things since I haven't been looking at older games in years and how much some of them have increased. It's funny seeing these things that would go for like $10 because no one wanted them back then and now go for 3-4x that.

Wow, parasite eve II is that much? It still boggles my mine the prices on some things since I haven't been looking at older games in years and how much some of them have increased. It's funny seeing these things that would go for like $10 because no one wanted them back then and now go for 3-4x that.
i think it's about 5-10 bucks less on average. i grabbed it bc i had store credit from a return that i had to burn. i don't think i would pay 35 straight but it's creeping up slowly

Alpha/Zero 2 is probably the best.

The Alpha series are my favorite Street Fighters after III, including 2nd Impact and 3rd Strike.

It's very fast and casual compared to the mainline series. I'd play any Alpha entry over the shit Dimps squatted out in the form of IV and V.

They may suck compared to others, but they're cheap and fun. To me SFA3 on Ps1 is good enough for a quick fix.

The PS1 ports of the SFA games are pretty bad, especially considering the alternatives out there.

This is the first I've heard of this. I've only ever owned the Sega Saturn versions, but I was under the impression that the PS versions were the next best thing?

Just wondering, how long have you had one and what's the game library like? Is it hard to get games for it now? I don't imagine it would be easy to get the disk images off the internet and transfer them to the floppies for it...

I've had mine for almost two years now. The library is a mix of pretty great to run of the mill eroge. eBay is basically useless. Most of the games I own were bought through a yahoo auction proxy service or directly from Japan while on vacation.

As for the disc images, I won't get into too much detail but there is a site that provides a few full hard disk image with basically everything you could want. The hard part is getting a SCSI to SD or compact flash since the X68000 doesn't follow the SCSI standard. If your machine doesn't come with a cable and you aren't skilled in cable manufacturing or know someone who is.

Also, the X68000 always draws power, which means it's likely that you are buying a fire hazard. Fortunately, it's not difficult to replace the internal supply with an ATX connection.

Fularu

Banned
Were those games subject to lots of loading and disk changing? I want to say SF2 was.
They had lots of discs and iirc the x68k uses 5"1/4 floppy discs (which hold even less data than say, 3"1/2 ones).

But the x68k could be equiped with an hdd and many games have installs so the problem ended up beeing rather moot for the few people who got the system.

I remain convinced that had Capcom, Sega or Konami done the porting themselves instead of relying on european shitty porting hiuses with no access to game files and source code, the Amiga versions would have been just as good as the x68k ones, with better sound to boot.

i think it's about 5-10 bucks less on average. i grabbed it bc i had store credit from a return that i had to burn. i don't think i would pay 35 straight but it's creeping up slowly

They all are, my brother was complaining about buying silhouette mirage and how expensive that is now. I have a sealed copy I bought for like $17 including shipping from ebay like 8 years ago because no one cared about that game. It's just incredible to me after I've collected so much and then having to stop while I was in college how much things have changed.

They had lots of discs and iirc the x68k uses 5"1/4 floppy discs (which hold even less data than say, 3"1/2 ones).

But the x68k could be equiped with an hdd and many games have installs so the problem ended up beeing rather moot for the few people who got the system.

I remain convinced that had Capcom, Sega or Konami done the porting themselves instead of relying on european shitty porting hiuses with no access to game files and source code, the Amiga versions would have been just as good as the x68k ones, with better sound to boot.

I doubt it. The X68000 had a similar sound chip to what most Japanese companies were using. Japanese developers were all in on FM synthesis back then so it sounds like the arcade should sound like. Besides, MIDI modules were common for it so with an expansion it could do better sample based audio than a standard Amiga. Also, if they wanted compatibility, they would have had to optimize it for the base Amiga at 7 MHz while the base X68000 was 10 MHz. That means that they would need to cut out sprites, AI, or something else.

The Amiga was a great machine that I can't wait to buy but even with Sega, Capcom, et al, while a great experience no doubt, it still wouldn't be as good.

BTails

Damn, I mean, I enjoy the Parasite Eve games (Yes, even The Third Birthday), but the first one is probably the only real classic of the franchise.

I already have all three, and bought them all brand new, so I definitely paid more than $35 for each

Alpha/Zero 2 is probably the best.
i liked 2 the most. part one had the chain combos (the L ->M ->H or Short -> Forward -> Roundhouse) button combos that are famous in the X-men vs. games.

Sodom was so overpowering in part 1.

part 2 when they were taken out, the only bummer was i used Final Fight Guy and used his classic: punch, punch, punch, elbow, reverse roundhouse kick combo. he was built for those chain combos as his supers are his chain combos powered up. (like ryu's fireball, ken's dragon punch were super powered versions of their moves,

sadly guy was made ineffective and can't do as many chains anymore in alpha 2. even Ken's opening animations are chain combos that are defunct. i think Ken can still do a few minor chains but they definitely made Sfa2 more traditional street fighter but way more balanced.

Danny Dudekisser

This is the first I've heard of this. I've only ever owned the Sega Saturn versions, but I was under the impression that the PS versions were the next best thing?

Well, yeah, but apart from the PS versions, what else is there? The bootleg-ass SNES release?

The PS version isn't bad, taken on its own, but with the Anthology and the Saturn releases out there, why bother? It isn't 1996 anymore.

Peltz

Well, yeah, but apart from the PS versions, what else is there? The bootleg-ass SNES release?

The PS version isn't bad, taken on its own, but with the Anthology and the Saturn releases out there, why bother? It isn't 1996 anymore.
Anthology isn't 240p (afaik) and Saturn versions are way more expensive and I'm a scrub that doesn't need arcade accurate ports.

If they were cheaper or if I were more of a fan of course I'd grab it on Saturn. But I'm as casual as a street fighter fan as they come.

Alpha 2 on SNES is actually pretty serviceable, from what I've gathered. Impressive that they actually got it working on the system without completely destroying it.

I was just confused because I hadn't seen or heard the PS versions referred to as "bad" in any sense before. Is there that significant of a difference between the PS and SS versions?

Anthology isn't 240p (afaik) and Saturn versions are way more expensive and I'm a scrub that doesn't need arcade accurate ports.

If they were cheaper or if I were more of a fan of course I'd grab it on Saturn. But I'm as casual as a street fighter fan as they come.

Are they that much more? I did a cursory search on ebay for Zero 2 on both systems and they seemed to be the same price. The SNES one is mad expensive though.

Top Bottom