• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Anthology isn't 240p (afaik) and Saturn versions are way more expensive and I'm a scrub that doesn't need arcade accurate ports.

If they were cheaper or if I were more of a fan of course I'd grab it on Saturn. But I'm as casual as a street fighter fan as they come.

Anthology is, indeed, 240p. That was one of my test discs of choice when I got my OSSC last year. That shit looks immaculate.

Though yes, I will acknowledge that the Saturn version of Zero 3 is absurdly expensive at this point. I don't think Alpha 2 is that bad (maybe the Alpha 2 Gold version on SF Collection 2 is pricey -- I dunno), but I think Anthology is such a great option for people, regardless of whether they're a casual or crazy fan of the series.

Edit: Actually, I think I misspoke -- the PS2 port is just 480p, but it does look pretty goddamn good.

Alpha 2 on SNES is actually pretty serviceable, from what I've gathered. Impressive that they actually got it working on the system without completely destroying it.

I was just confused because I hadn't seen or heard the PS versions referred to as "bad" in any sense before. Is there that significant of a difference between the PS and SS versions?

Lots of cut frames of animation in the PS1 versions. I remember the Alpha 3 port being lauded back in the day, but it's more because it's impressive relative to other PS1 fighters than because it's a great port of the arcade game. Sound quality (well, the music, at least), is also better in the Saturn versions.

Fularu

Banned
I doubt it. The X68000 had a similar sound chip to what most Japanese companies were using. Japanese developers were all in on FM synthesis back then so it sounds like the arcade should sound like. Besides, MIDI modules were common for it so with an expansion it could do better sample based audio than a standard Amiga. Also, if they wanted compatibility, they would have had to optimize it for the base Amiga at 7 MHz while the base X68000 was 10 MHz. That means that they would need to cut out sprites, AI, or something else.

The Amiga was a great machine that I can't wait to buy but even with Sega, Capcom, et al, while a great experience no doubt, it still wouldn't be as good.

Err the 68k wasn't handling the sprites. Actually most of the heavy Amiga work was done by Lisa, Paula and Agnus and the paula chip vastly overperforms whatever the CPS-1 arcade board could produce sound wise.

The Agony intro music or Turrican 2's entire soundtrack (to name the first two that pop up right now) sound better than anything I've heard on the x68k or the CPS1 hardware (its derivative).

Edit : Why are we acting like the Dreamcast version of SFA3 doesn'T exist? :p

The Saturn version is actually better, funny enough.

It seems like most of the 2D fighters ported to Dreamcast weren't the best versions of the game. Garou and Last Blade 2 come to mind, same as Alpha/Zero 3.

I played Zero 3 on Saturn recently, and own the Dreamcast version, too. I have to say, the differences in audio/video quality are negligible in my opinion, but I'm going Saturn every time for the 6 button pad, ya feel me?

Peltz

No. I was wrong. I lied. But I'm man enough to admit it :(
You must pay for your transgressions!!! You must play Blinx the Timesweeper for one hour.

Mwahahahaha

(No but seriously that game is terrible. How does it have a fanbase? I was just going through my games and saw it in my kitchen cupboard.... don't ask.)

Fularu

Banned
The Saturn version is actually better, funny enough.

It seems like most of the 2D fighters ported to Dreamcast weren't the best versions of the game. Garou and Last Blade 2 come to mind, same as Alpha/Zero 3.

I played Zero 3 on Saturn recently, and own the Dreamcast version, too. I have to say, the differences in audio/video quality are negligible in my opinion, but I'm going Saturn every time for the 6 button pad, ya feel me?

Well if it's for the saturn pad yes I do, which is why I have a saturn pad adapter for my Dreamcast :p

ok i do have it: yes!
BwGP2Aom.jpg
kg2Dv4om.jpg

going to give it a spin tonight =) thanks guys for the recommendation!

Danny Dudekisser

Hmm... so with my tax refund, I'm looking to finish up my living room (ie: my gaming setup) and have it look not like shit. Still postponing a dedicated retro setup for now, but there's really not a whole lot of need, given that the main setup should be adequate for this stuff. Will be nice to have everything properly set up and ready to take pictures of for the setup thread, though. RetroGAF gotta represent, right?

Danny Dudekisser

I loved Yes Boss!'s recent post

Yes Boss always represents -- dude travels around so much and always seems to have some pretty baller stuff on-hand.

I haven't had a setup to post since 2009, when I was still in undergrad. The pics I took were from my room in my parents' house. Soo... yeah. It's been a while. It was actually a pretty cool setup, but I'd like to think things have improved since then.

David is singlehandedly keeping digital press in business. :D

Really jealous of whoever bought that really sweet turtles in time.
thanks! i just stop by weekl because it's right next to a place a grab dinner. they have a staple: buy 2, get 1 free on ps2 games 18.99 and under deal. tonight i was about to pick up dragon quest VIII, radiata stories and Killer 7 for 15.99 x2 +1 free but the discs were scratched so i passed. definitely some good deals with the constant ps2 stuff coming in. (alpha was part of that deal a while back) each games ends up under 10 bucks.
the turtles is still there but it's $199 so i passed, it's about 150 CIB online.

sometimes Digital Press is lower than ebay but sometimes if they get a hot title they'll raise the price, screw that.

I loved Yes Boss!'s recent post

Yes Boss always represents -- dude travels around so much and always seems to have some pretty baller stuff on-hand.

I haven't had a setup to post since 2009, when I was still in undergrad. The pics I took were from my room in my parents' house. Soo... yeah. It's been a while. It was actually a pretty cool setup, but I'd like to think things have improved since then.
Yes! Boss' set up is some love right there... to travel and still have those things shipped =) good luck on your next set up Chacranajxy

Timu

You must pay for your transgressions!!! You must play Blinx the Timesweeper for one hour.

Mwahahahaha

(No but seriously that game is terrible. How does it have a fanbase? I was just going through my games and saw it in my kitchen cupboard.... don't ask.)
The sequel is better, but yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the 1st game.

Fularu

Banned
To stay on the topic of SFA, I hugely recommend the Saturn version of the game, it comes super cheap with the Street Fighter Collection (less than 30$) and you get 3 games out of it (SSF2, SSF2X and SFZ2')

Yes Boss!

Ha!

Not sure if I would call it baller but definitely always try to surround myself with some choice toys wherever I am! Right now most is still in storage somewhere on the east coast and I think I will leave it there till next year. But did get all my Korea stuff in so having fun unpacking random-ass things. For example:

5E7E7406-ABF0-42FD-AD11-939426F26FCF.jpg

David,

My job pays for it all and I usually move every two years. Just part of the vagabond lifestyle. 😩

thanks! i just stop by weekl because it's right next to a place a grab dinner. they have a staple: buy 2, get 1 free on ps2 games 18.99 and under deal. tonight i was about to pick up dragon quest VIII, radiata stories and Killer 7 for 15.99 x2 +1 free but the discs were scratched so i passed. definitely some good deals with the constant ps2 stuff coming in. (alpha was part of that deal a while back) each games ends up under 10 bucks.
the turtles is still there but it's $199 so i passed, it's about 150 CIB online.

sometimes Digital Press is lower than ebay but sometimes if they get a hot title they'll raise the price, screw that.

Yes! Boss' set up is some love right there... to travel and still have those things shipped =) good luck on your next set up Chacranajxy

Wow, $200 is stupid. I was really close to grabbing the DKC3 they had over the weekend because the price wasn't too bad but yeah that's not even competitive at $200. I was eyeing up the PS2 sale but I think I'm pretty much done with that collection wise except for 2-3 games.

Do people post their collections at all in here? I'm curious to see what everyone has. :D

Fularu

Banned
Wow, $200 is stupid. I was really close to grabbing the DKC3 they had over the weekend because the price wasn't too bad but yeah that's not even competitive at $200. I was eyeing up the PS2 sale but I think I'm pretty much done with that collection wise except for 2-3 games.

Do people post their collections at all in here? I'm curious to see what everyone has. :D

It would take me days

I miss renting games. Yeah, it's less convenient than whatever we have now, but there's a certain value that makes you place on the games you play.

I don't miss renting games, but I do miss renting movies. Part of of the fun was browsing the aisles, picking up snacks, checking the bargain bin for older movies. Now it's just browse whatever online store I have a membership with. Boring..

Spladam

Mwahahahaha
That's fucked up dude, 5 minutes is enough to damage the human brain.
Ha!

Not sure if I would call it baller but definitely always try to surround myself with some choice toys wherever I am! Right now most is still in storage somewhere on the east coast and I think I will leave it there till next year. But did get all my Korea stuff in so having fun unpacking random-ass things. For example:

David,

My job pays for it all and I usually move every two years. Just part of the vagabond lifestyle. 😩
Showoff.

Ha!

David,

My job pays for it all and I usually move every two years. Just part of the vagabond lifestyle. ��
So much going on here, lol

• Metallic Rose DSL
  • Korean-exclusive New 3DS
  • 20th Anniversary PS4 pad
  • Famicom Classic Edition

Damn, I mean, I enjoy the Parasite Eve games (Yes, even The Third Birthday), but the first one is probably the only real classic of the franchise.

I already have all three, and bought them all brand new, so I definitely paid more than $35 for each
oh i think i need to get third birthday, i didn't even know that exists. the name sounds familiar but i don't remember it.

tumblr_oc8fbr2LbW1rkrwaco1_1280.jpg

i love how cheesy this is lol
i think that gamepad is legit =P
Ha!

David,

man, for all the moving, i guess that's a benefit they cover the expenses. still cool you bring your stuff, i think if i move i'll just take a bag of clothes and leave everything at my parents old place =)

Wow, $200 is stupid. I was really close to grabbing the DKC3 they had over the weekend because the price wasn't too bad but yeah that's not even competitive at $200. I was eyeing up the PS2 sale but I think I'm pretty much done with that collection wise except for 2-3 games. :D
yeah, i just check each title on my phone as a browse.

So much going on here, lol

• Metallic Rose DSL
  • Korean-exclusive New 3DS
  • 20th Anniversary PS4 pad
  • Famicom Classic Edition
damn how did you know all that stuff?
didn't even know there's a Korean exclusive n3ds, it looks like the black friday one =)

Saturn version is still better. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I think there was something off about the aspect ratio on the Dreamcast port which made the characters slightly shorter and wider than they were supposed to be.

t

Which Turtles game is this?

I've posted a link to my stuff before

This was my set up and most of my collection from a year ago. Since then we've moved and I've gotten some other retro systems like the Jaguar, hooked up my PS, and swapped 3DOs, also had to lay things out completely different in our new place. Specially with the game collection, most of it has ended up downstairs in our living room but some had to end up in our office. Here's a link though if you want to check out the old photos (haven't taken new ones yet).

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/118175459378372801650/album/6281710113122269809

Err the 68k wasn't handling the sprites. Actually most of the heavy Amiga work was done by Lisa, Paula and Agnus and the paula chip vastly overperforms whatever the CPS-1 arcade board could produce sound wise.

The Agony intro music or Turrican 2's entire soundtrack (to name the first two that pop up right now) sound better than anything I've heard on the x68k or the CPS1 hardware (its derivative).

I'm not super familiar with the Amiga's extra chips but did they handle calculating the positions of sprites or just the drawing of them? The 68k would still have to cycle through all of the objects on screen and calculate things like motion and hit detection right? Like it would accelerate copying data from main memory to the video portion of the memory map but the CPU would still need to tell it which frames to grab and where to put them?

Similarly, the sound chip was capable but it was an 8-bit sampler with a 28KHz sampling rate? It could play great music designed for it but it might not sound as nice simulating an FM synthesizer. It's like the difference between the Genesis and SNES. They're completely different paradigms and there's no guarantee that just because samples are used that it will sound better. They may not have the memory budget to reproduce the audio properly. Similarly, if there's any audio above 14 KHz, the Amiga couldn't reproduce it because of the low sampling rate.

The Amiga 1000 also had a quarter the ram of the lowest model X68000. Later models had 512 KB but it's still not as much. A lot of my Capcom X68000 games require at least 2 MB, that might have been asking too much in the Amiga market.

If Japanese developers were willing to give source files to Amiga developers or do it themselves and they didn't limit the Amiga port to Atari S/T quality, the games would have been a lot better for sure but who knows if they would have been as good as on an X68000.

Danny Dudekisser

Man, what's even left of the old school 3rd party controller companies? Ascii stopped a loooong time ago, Interact is gone, now Mad Catz... is Nyko still around? Naki?

Come to think of it, the only one still standing is Hori. Which is fine by me, because they're the best.

Yes Boss!

Man, what's even left of the old school 3rd party controller companies? Ascii stopped a loooong time ago, Interact is gone, now Mad Catz... is Nyko still around? Naki?

Come to think of it, the only one still standing is Hori. Which is fine by me, because they're the best.

Hori is all that matters anyways!

Here is the Korean N3DS. I remember taking the train to Seoul to the electronics district to specifically pick it up. Pretty useless since it is its own region and the actual Korean carts are a mix of Japanese unlocalized games and stuff that is localized in Hangul and then some just straight unlocalized stuff...and it's own region-locked eShop. I just grabbed it to go with some of my Mario DSs and as an oddity and souvenir of my time living there.

6F063A18-FA36-400D-8E63-504A675E140E.jpg

New Jersey Retro GAFers, if you have any plans on going to AVGC (A Video Game Con) this year today is the last day to buy tickets at their cheapest. Tomorrow the full weekend pass goes up 5 bucks and then after May 31 it goes up 5 bucks again, and then after July it goes up another 5 bucks. After September 8th they go up like another 7.50. (even is september 9th and 10th). So you end up saving 22.50 compared to paying that weekend.

https://www.showclix.com/event/AVideoGameCon2017.

Just thought I would give people a heads up to save some cash.

NDPsycho

Alpha 2 on SNES is actually pretty serviceable, from what I've gathered. Impressive that they actually got it working on the system without completely destroying it.

I agree, impressive for what it was and playable, just need to put up with an annoying pause here and there. Certainly not the best way to play it, but I have fun with it.

Fularu

Banned
I agree, impressive for what it was and playable, just need to put up with an annoying pause here and there. Certainly not the best way to play it, but I have fun with it.

It's also incredibly more expensive than the best home port version, the Saturn one

Timu

You can buy SF0, SF0:2 and Vampire Hunter on eBay right now for less than the price of SF:Alpha on SNES.
That's ebay(which I don't really use much), on amazon the SNES and Saturn versions are around the same price used. CIB might be a different story.

NDPsycho

It's also incredibly more expensive than the best home port version, the Saturn one

I have the Saturn version as well. Cost doesn't change that it is impressive that it's on SNES at all :) I'm not saying anyone should run out and buy it, just that it wasn't unplayable.

RAIDEN1

As going by my original question on the Streetfighter Alpha's....as I am not about to go out and buy a Saturn/Dreamcast/PS2 especially just for one game, and in the absence of any other viable platforms to play it on, (even playing the games on the retro site on the net can be a nightmare, what with the sound and input lag and the fact you can only play it online) then getting the PS-1 ports isn't a bad option to go with, not as if they are conversions on the level of what the Amiga had with Streetfighter 2 and Super Streetfighter..

Last week I ended up getting Garou Mark of the Wolves for PS4...there was something about it that got me interested but little did I realise how technically nuanced it is....for highly expert fighters only!! Not a fighter you can walk into easily...

It's easy to see why the Saturn handled these conversions near flawlessly it was 1992 tech coming to the market in 1995, the saturn was built for the here and now when conceived, yet by the time it came out it was game-over when it came to it's future prospects...

Also it will be interesting to see if Capcom do anything Alpha related for PS4/Xbox One/Switch owners when it come to Alpha and all the others as this year is the 30th anniversary of all things Streetfighter..

D.Lo

I was talking about the US versions!!!=O
The 'Alpha' rebranding ruins the logos and the entire series has a 'Z' motif (look at round introductions in Zero 2). Such a stupid rename.

Also of course Zero 3 on Saturn is the only good port of the CPS2 version of the game. The DC version is a port of the Naomi port, SFZ3 Upper, with changed resolution.

Timu

The 'Alpha' rebranding ruins the logos and the entire series has a 'Z' motif (look at round introductions in Zero 2). Such a stupid rename.

Also of course Zero 3 on Saturn is the only good port of the CPS2 version of the game. The DC version is a port of the Naomi port, SFZ3 Upper, with changed resolution.
Huh, ok. Shame about the price of the Saturn version though.

Long boxes are garbage.
Some people love them.

Personally I'm into jewel cases more.

While Upper is a port to Naomi hardware, the version released on Dreamcast, saikyo dojo, or whatever is based on the original CPS II game, I think. I was under the impression the GBA and PS2 and PSP ones were the only home versions​ of Upper, or at least based on it.

Top Bottom