• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Yes Boss!

Flip that shit.

Don't even sweat it.

(LCD/LED)

Recca!

75FAD8D2-7A98-495F-98C7-203EFE879536.jpg

televator

The cells should hold the gasses in place. I don't think orientation really matters to a plasma. It'd be a pretty stupid design flaw if just tipping the TV FUBAR'd a plasma.

Edit: I wouldn't leave it leaning at an angle against a wall though. That might put stress on the glass and cause issues. Find a way to mount it.

Yes Boss!

The cells should hold the gasses in place. I don't think orientation really matters to a plasma. It'd be a pretty stupid design flaw if just tipping the TV FUBAR'd a plasma.

Also, were not all those airport NEC airport monitors back in day (ten years back) plasma and fully vertical?!?

Laws00

Personally, I don't play burnt games. I worry about making the laser struggle to read CD-R material. These lenses are fragile enough even when used as designed.

I am worried about that but at this point if it happens it happens.

Had a scare with my Dreamcast but I some how fixed it.

I'm more so worried about my Duo-R dying

Personally, I don't play burnt games. I worry about making the laser struggle to read CD-R material. These lenses are fragile enough even when used as designed.
I meant to reply to this earlier but I've see this claimed all the time but I've never seen any proof of it.

I'm not really an expert of compact disc technology, but other than maybe focus distance the CD laser really shouldn't act any differently on a burned disc vs a pressed one. Like maybe if there were more errors the laser assembly would have to move back and forth more frequently and on cheap assemblies like the early PS1s where the sled was made of plastic it would wear down faster? But in that case I'd recommond just putting in a better assembly anyway even without CD-Rs.

In any case, I'm also going to pick up some of the Taiyo Yuden discs (apparently now sold by "CMC Pro" not JVC) mentioned by cyborgnumberblue above; found a store that has them for a good price. Apparently the tight QC they do means the result acts a lot more like a pressed disc.

Got a 32x for $25 and a sega cd model 1 for $60. The model 1 will eject the disc when you push start so it seems like it will need a little work.

what! that's a great deal =)

yeah, the 32x was from a local store and he gave me a good hookup on it. I need to get a model 1 patch cable though it only came with model 2.

The sega CD model 1 was the unit and metal plates only. It's this weird kitschy resale shop near me where all their games are usually overpriced, but he had this model 1 sega cd sitting in the upper storage area for the last year or so. I finally got him to get it out and he tried to say it should be $100 but he had no way to test it so i talked him down to $60.

I don't get my retro DC universal power cable until august or so so i'll have plenty of time to get it working and fixed up. I have a power adapter for the genesis/cd but it adds video interference and seems to be dying.

Bonus is that I caught the guy slipping on a copy of Yakuza 3 for $12 in his shop.

In any case, I'm also going to pick up some of the Taiyo Yuden discs (apparently now sold by "CMC Pro" not JVC) mentioned by cyborgnumberblue above; found a store that has them for a good price. Apparently the tight QC they do means the result acts a lot more like a pressed disc.

Nice, I think they will do the trick for you. Worked for me. PS1 is just a finicky eater.

Burnt games are pretty much a requirement for the original Xbox due to how shitty most of it's DVD drives are.

As long as its not a thompson drive they're about as reliable as a PS2 would be.

Those thompson drives were dying by 2004. The samsungs and other models work fine these days.

post-3067-1068164340.jpg

Timu

As long as its not a thompson drive they're about as reliable as a PS2 would be.

Those thompson drives were dying by 2004. The samsungs and other models work fine these days.

post-3067-1068164340.jpg
Too bad most Xboxs had the shitty Thompson drives. Though I know the Philips and Samsungs are good.

I have two original Xboxes. The first one I got which is one of the two 'better' drive types (a s Samsung maybe? I forget), but its disc drive died after a while. So, I got a cheap Xbox from Goodwill and swapped its disc drive over to the old system... and its drive is a Thomson based on its tray style, and it still works fine. So yeah, the Thomson may be less reliable, but you never know.

Timu

I have two original Xboxes. The first one I got which is one of the two 'better' drive types (a s Samsung maybe? I forget), but its disc drive died after a while. So, I got a cheap Xbox from Goodwill and swapped its disc drive over to the old system... and its drive is a Thomson based on its tray style, and it still works fine. So yeah, the Thomson may be less reliable, but you never know.
In my experience the Samsung drive I had(before my Xbox died) worked better than any Thomson drive I used. I had nothing but disc read errors not only before playing a game, but during a game as well.

Decided to try Star Ocean 2 on the PSP Go until I can get some better CD technology. I'm pretty impressed! The 240p output is good, looks almost identical to what was coming out of my PS1 (color is a bit different, a bit blurry) including the dithering, I can use the DS3 in full with both analogs + L2/R2 (oddly enough by choosing "Digital Mode"), and so far I haven't run into any problems.

Dualshock 3 L2/R2 can seriously suck a bag of dicks, though, I might look into an aftermarket PS3 compatible wireless controller.

For clarity I've run PS1 games on PSP since that was first a thing it's just I've always ran into a) a whole lot of problems with emulator quirks and crashes on anything not from the PS Store and b) small, ghosty screen with two not great options for how to run PS1 games on it.

leroidys

post-3067-1068164340.jpg

Just picked up a 2004 xbox for $7 the other day. It was absolutely covered in dust and grime, but seems to work just fine. My 2001 thompson drive has been dying for like 5 years, so I'm happy to finally have a fully functioning xbox again. Looks like it has the Phillips drive. I'd previously tried to swap a samsung drive from an xbox with a dead PSU, but it wouldn't read anything unfortunately.

post-3067-1068164340.jpg

Not exactly true. The other drives can have problems as well, just not say disc reading problems. I have a Samsung drive and I need to replace all the bands on it because it refuses to open any more, and this is not an uncommon problem.

All of the drives put into the Xbox were pretty cheap offerings, and none of them are ideal.

To add to the thread, I was over by Digital Press this weekend and stopped in to look around. I've been watching ebay prices on Vertical Force and other places and they'd been too high for my liking. DP had it complete and in great condition for 15 bucks.

33699660593_00443a6184_k.jpg

Played it for a little bit but my virtual boy keeps turning itself off, need to figure out what's going on with it.

Serge85

Looking forward for the prices to come down for this. I was looking at the DC Renovation mod and it has a comparison with the GDEMU which says it's not region free where as the DC Rev is, is that still true? not sure how up to date the site is.

The Gdmenu skips the region check, so it's virtually region free.

Managed to snag this on my way to Guardians of the Galaxy. Thanks!

I'm happy you could order one, I got mine last month (with a 128 GB microsd) and it's incredible!.

Tweaked my game setup after a few weeks to what I will use this year. Especially since I added another J360 I feel like it is complete for me. Tons of other stuff in storage but I made this with what I have on hand and use.

Basically a shooter and a moderate retro shrine.

Dude I LOVE your setup. Anymore pictures of it? I'm a schmup newbie. What's involved in running a monitor/screen in Tate? Is it just a setting in game?

Yes Boss!

Dude I LOVE your setup. Anymore pictures of it? I'm a schmup newbie. What's involved in running a monitor/screen in Tate? Is it just a setting in game?

Yeah, most of the new vertical release on console and PC (in fact I can't think of one that doesn't) have a setting to rotate the game image. They mostly let you lock the menu into rotate as well.

I have some more photos as I put it together at my instagram https://instagram.com/arcadestick. I did a video but for some reason it is not uploading to YouTube.

Peltz

Played some Metal Slug at a local arcade this evening. I really need an arcade stick for my PS2.

If you're looking for a cheap option, I really like this one by Namco:

5939381769_720bcddd6d.jpg

It's a surprisingly great stick. It's body is made of metal.

Buttons are pretty good too.

Yes Boss!

People on this saturn facebook group are talking shit about doujindance. Insist that he solders like a 3rd grader.

There are reports his quality has dipped in the last few years. I have not used mine in a couple years but once I get back to it I'm gonna open it up and what it looks like.kinda curious!

I did the RGB mod on my CoreGrafx myself. That was easy enough...reckon it would be easy to do it for a Duo.

televator

Not exactly true. The other drives can have problems as well, just not say disc reading problems. I have a Samsung drive and I need to replace all the bands on it because it refuses to open any more, and this is not an uncommon problem.

All of the drives put into the Xbox were pretty cheap offerings, and none of them are ideal.

To add to the thread, I was over by Digital Press this weekend and stopped in to look around. I've been watching ebay prices on Vertical Force and other places and they'd been too high for my liking. DP had it complete and in great condition for 15 bucks.

33699660593_00443a6184_k.jpg

Played it for a little bit but my virtual boy keeps turning itself off, need to figure out what's going on with it.

AfaIk, theres only one band... I've taken a drive apart completely. You can boil the existing band to revitalize it or just buy a new one for cheap. Either way, it's an easy fix.

entremet

Just came back from Tokyo. Also hit Super Potato. But didn't buy anything. Fun seeing all those retro games in one spot that's not a retro conventions.

This was my first time in Japan, so I was not in rush to get retro wares, just wanted to enjoy it and not think of checklists or what not. Besides, you can get most of those titles on eBay these days.

I did buy some gaming soundtracks at Tower Records. I already ripped those to m computer, but seeing a huge game soundtrack section in a modern music store (both not available in the US) was pretty cool.

Yeah, most of the new vertical release on console and PC (in fact I can't think of one that doesn't) have a setting to rotate the game image. They mostly let you lock the menu into rotate as well.

I have some more photos as I put it together at my instagram https://instagram.com/arcadestick. I did a video but for some reason it is not uploading to YouTube.

Thanks for the link man I enjoyed flipping through it!

Right now I'm mostly packed up for a move but I've still got my PC. If you could name one shooter to get me into the genre, that is on pc and does tate, what would it be?

Yes Boss!

Right now I'm mostly packed up for a move but I've still got my PC. If you could name one shooter to get me into the genre, that is on pc and does tate, what would it be?

I don't so much have PC experience. But if I would recommend one it would be Crimzon Clover.

People on this saturn facebook group are talking shit about doujindance. Insist that he solders like a 3rd grader.

His work is definitely not pretty. He uses a lot of hot glue or 2 part epoxy to hold his solder joints in place and prevent them from breaking. It's not ideal.

AfaIk, theres only one band... I've taken a drive apart completely. You can boil the existing band to revitalize it or just buy a new one for cheap. Either way, it's an easy fix.

I've heard it's super easy and I've been meaning to just order a kit. The ones I've seen on ebay have multiple bands but I guess they're just for multiple drives. (and yeah just watched a video its one band) I've softmodded my Xbox and the plan is to put in like a 250 gig hard drive, fix the band, and rip all my games hopefully next month.

dubc35

I am out of the loop on ps2 regions/compatibility. An NTSC-J ps2 slim will play Japanese games but not USA games, correct? Is this easily modded to play us games, excluding disc swapping?

An NTSC-J ps2 slim will play Japanese games but not USA games, correct?
Right.

Is this easily modded to play us games, excluding disc swapping?

No. You can't easily run discs from other region.

You can install a modchip, but don't unless you want to find one of the two people left in the world that are still good at doing that.

You could run OpenPS2Loader and use a hard drive or SD card to run US games. This requires something like FreeMcBoot to run, which you can just buy preinstalled on a memory card for cheap. But compatibility isn't 100%, especially on a slim where you can't use an internal drive.

I'd recommend Mushihimesama and DoDonPachi Resurrection, both are great Cave shooters.

As many have stated, Crimson Clover is great, too.

I'd also recommend Jamestown, has a ton of different ships and difficulty levels and the mechanics are very well designed. Not sure if it can tate, though.

dubc35

Right.

No. You can't easily run discs from other region.

You can install a modchip, but don't unless you want to find one of the two people left in the world that are still good at doing that.

You could run OpenPS2Loader and use a hard drive or SD card to run US games. This requires something like FreeMcBoot to run, which you can just buy preinstalled on a memory card for cheap. But compatibility isn't 100%, especially on a slim where you can't use an internal drive.
Ok thanks for the reply! I've been following a listing with US games but says it's an NTSC-J console. I'll have to ask for clarification.

Top Bottom