• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

meppi

cross posting from the ps2 thread

I accidentally plugged in my Japanese PS2 Slim into my European 220V socket last week, thinking it was my PAL system.
Luckily the system seems to be universal.

Not sure if there are different versions though. Mine has the converter built into the system itself, the cord is just that, without any power brick on it.

Just checked. It's a model 90000. Yet on the back it states that it needs 110-120v. Worked fine in a European 220v socket so a US one should be fine as well I think.

My PAL model 70004 does have an external power brick. And from looking online, most people seem to think this one can be used universally but not the 90000 model, which is weird as mine should have exploded if that was correct.

edit:

Checked the PAL one again and the adapter states 100-240v 50/60 Hz, so that one should be fine as well.

Hows your power? Do you have a backup UPS or some sort of filter you can plug it into? I have Noisy outlets in my house that cause video noise on my consoles!

Although I'm not familiar with the schematics of a CDX a likely culprit would be a failing capacitor. What sort of power adapter does the CDX use? That could be the culrprit as well.

Good call, it was the power. Moved plugs and it worked flawlessly again. Thanks for the suggestion!

Went thrifting. 5 thrift stores. Here's an exhaustive list of gaming stuff I found:

• Several Wii Fit balance boards
  • A really nasty condition Logitech PS2 controller
  • PS AV/composite cables
  • a handful of Xbox 360 games at one store, including two copies of Oblivion but nothing really worth buying
That's it.

I had two more places on my list much further out but I gave up. Thankfully I found some computer parts so it wasn't a total bust but I think I'll go back to my "thrifting in this city sucks" mindset.

Went thrifting. 5 thrift stores. Here's an exhaustive list of gaming stuff I found:

• Several Wii Fit balance boards
  • A really nasty condition Logitech PS2 controller
  • PS AV/composite cables
  • a handful of Xbox 360 games at one store, including two copies of Oblivion but nothing really worth buying
That's it.

I had two more places on my list much further out but I gave up. Thankfully I found some computer parts so it wasn't a total bust but I think I'll go back to my "thrifting in this city sucks" mindset.

I'm lucky that there is a shop within walking distance that stocks retro stuff, but I agree that most places can be a crapshoot.

I just scored Magic Sword and Link to the Past, today, in fact. Cart only, but I'm only really into Super Famicom cases, anyways.

Good call, it was the power. Moved plugs and it worked flawlessly again. Thanks for the suggestion!

Glad it solved your issue! I have that problem in my house. Several of my consoles pick up noise when displayed on a flatscreen or through a capture card but are fine on a crt. I solved the issue by filtering everything through my BVM!

maybe it's an asian market ps2?

I just looked and apparently Hong Kong uses ntsc-j and 220/50.

Wow, watching Hunter X hunter for the first time by a recommendation from some students and there's an episode where the characters are looking for a retro game.

it's so accurate how they are portraying looking for used copies of rare games and sellers online.

Wow, watching Hunter X hunter for the first time by a recommendation from some students and there's an episode where the characters are looking for a retro game.

it's so accurate how they are portraying looking for used copies of rare games and sellers online.

YuYu Hakusho is my favorite shonen anime of all time. The same creator made HxH so this just reminds me I'm overdue for checking it out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
YuYu Hakusho is my favorite shonen anime of all time. The same creator made HxH so this just reminds me I'm overdue for checking it out.

HxH is excellent, and like the YYH anime, there's no filler, despite its 150 episode length. I wish Viz wasn't so damn slow in releasing the BDs, cuz I'd like to go back and watch it again... but, y'know. Prettier this time.

Danny Dudekisser

How do you think us Berserk fans feel?

With HxH, I played it right and waited til the anime finished. Ain't nothing standing in my way then.

TeaJay

HxH is excellent, and like the YYH anime, there's no filler, despite its 150 episode length. I wish Viz wasn't so damn slow in releasing the BDs, cuz I'd like to go back and watch it again... but, y'know. Prettier this time.

To continue this derail; is this the new anime on BD? I remember watching the old series back in the day and I liked it a lot. Is the new one any good?

Danny Dudekisser

To continue this derail; is this the new anime on BD? I remember watching the old series back in the day and I liked it a lot. Is the new one any good?

Yeah, it's the new one. But you'd have to watch it on CrunchyRoll right now, cuz only the first 26 episodes are on BD in the US, so far. The old show from 1999 is highly regarded, I guess, but I thought it was kinda shit. New one is better in every way, and it covers the same material as the original tv show, plus a buncha new stuff.

Fularu

Banned
How do you think us Berserk fans feel?

With HxH, I played it right and waited til the anime finished. Ain't nothing standing in my way then.

The Anime isn't finished, it's just stuck in the Hiatus phase the manga's in.

By the time the "New World" arc is done, I'll have grandkids playing with their own kids

Danny Dudekisser

The Anime isn't finished, it's just stuck in the Hiatus phase the manga's in.

By the time the "New World" arc is done, I'll have grandkids playing with their own kids

It was conclusive enough that I'm comfortable saying "yeah, I'm good."

But you're right. We will be old by the time it's done.

Laws00

Anyone else subscribe to Retro Gamer (the UK mag) in the US? Last year all my issues came like clockwork 3 weeks after they started shipping in the UK. Since January it's been 6 - 8 weeks for an issue to arrive. Is anyone else experiencing the same or has it just been my luck?

Nope. My mom wanted to get me a subscription for xmas and I declined.

Only thing I really get are their bookzines and manual collections. They're really good.

Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero (Satellaview) is getting a cart release this year

tumblr_opub5utci21ug2uiho2_540.jpg
tumblr_opub5utci21ug2uiho3_540.jpg

tumblr_opub5utci21ug2uiho1_540.jpg

http://gonintendo.com/stories/27995...w-title-kaizou-choujin-shubibinman-zero-getti

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0725H9NNR/

dubc35

Retro-ish pickups, my first since black Friday last fall!

Terrible phone pic:

I played a decent amount of Contra back in the day but I don't recall much. I played the first level tonight and look forward to more.

My first entry to the Metal Slug series. I haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it!

Terrible phone pic:

I played a decent amount of Contra back in the day but I don't recall much. I played the first level tonight and look forward to more.

My first entry to the Metal Slug series. I haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it!

run 'n gun fun! cool pickups.

hey retroGAF,
i brought 2 games that i'll post later but had a question. Does anyone know the value of nes stinger new. sealed?

i can't seem to find any references of actual copies being sold.

Spladam

It needs to load even during levels!!!
Oh man that's gross.

Terrible phone pic:

dub, if you have a PC and Steam, do yourself a favor and pick up MS X and MS 3 on Steam, they are GREAT ports, and you can find them cheap on sale. They are pixel and frame perfect emulations as far as I know. I had gift copies of each until last week, would totally have given you one if I still had them.

If you get only one, get Metal Slug 3.

Oh man that's gross.

dub, if you have a PC and Steam, do yourself a favor and pick up MS X and MS 3 on Steam, they are GREAT ports, and you can find them cheap on sale. They are pixel and frame perfect emulations as far as I know. I had gift copies of each until last week, would totally have given you one if I still had them.

Dot emu's neogeo emulator is really bad (sound issues / pitch distortion and input lag as well as frame drops not present in the original hardware), buy the game to support snk but remove the rom from the steam folder and use it in mame for a better experience.

Oh and if you only get one, get the first Metal Slug, 3 is no way near as fun to romp through!

dubc35

Oh man that's gross.

My only PC is a hand me down 2008ish laptop.

I played it for a bit last night and only noticed one loading during the level. There was between levels. I've asked around a bunch and based on my systems it was a psx or ps2.

Spladam

Dot emu's neogeo emulator is really bad (sound issues / pitch distortion and input lag as well as frame drops not present in the original hardware), buy the game to support snk but remove the rom from the steam folder and use it in mame for a better experience.

Oh and if you only get one, get the first Metal Slug, 3 is no way near as fun to romp through!

Is MAME better than Kawaks and Nebula for AES now? I have not kept current on the maze of arcade emulators now, and my emulator folder has not changed much in the last year and a half (except for an update to Project 64 I recently found out about). Nebula is what I currently have in the Neo Geo folder (have not fired it up in a while). I have copies of Kawaks and RageX set up in there too.

Just curious.

Is MAME better than Kawaks and Nebula for AES now? I have not kept current on the maze of arcade emulators now, and my emulator folder has not changed much in the last year and a half (except for an update to Project 64 I recently found out about). Nebula is what I currently have in the Neo Geo folder (have not fired it up in a while). I have copies of Kawaks and RageX set up in there too.

Just curious.

Yeah mame is great, I have no experience of AES emulation though, only MVS. Really the only advantage of Kawaks and Nebula nowadays is that they run on a really modest build but if that is a concern then final burn alpha is the best "light" emulator.

Running side by side next to real hardware on my crt's mame is off is a few places but its really damn close, better then any commercial effort I have come across anyway. Hell even the guys at the neogeo foum think mame is good and being such purists (translation: assholes) you would think they would absolutely rip it to pieces!
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?270320-MAME-vs-HARDWARE/page2

meppi

Spent all night last night playing Panzer Dragoon Zwei as well as WipEout XL on Saturn.
It is a bit of a rough port for sure and I think the original held up a bit better on Saturn, but still, it's fully playable and most of all still a ton of fun.
Only had trouble when I got to Odessa Keys on venom. The best I could do was rank 4th place. Will have to get back to that tonight.

Been listening to some more Retro Game Squad while working on magazines and they got me in the mood to play some Dynamite Deka 2 tonight as well. :)
Been a very long time since I played it but hearing about the pirates in crab suits actually working in a seafood diner on the side to be able to fund their pirating certainly got me in the mood to fire it up again. lol

Had an idea as well.
Seeing as how Japanese games tend to get some amazing cover art, I tried to scan in a couple of games and see how they would hold up as wallpapers.
It turns out it fits very well, but what blew my mind was then I selected that folder to use with an animated screensaver that rotates pictures on a 5 second loop. Now that looked brilliant. :D
Guess I'll have to scan in a ton more of these.

Picked up a Playstation today. It came with the box (dual shock version) and is in really good condition. The guy at the retro game store told me it's modded to play burnt games as well so I feel like $70 was a great price for it. I doubt I'll take advantage of the mod chip but it might be nice to not have to risk damaging my real games.

Yeah mame is great, I have no experience of AES emulation though, only MVS. Really the only advantage of Kawaks and Nebula nowadays is that they run on a really modest build but if that is a concern then final burn alpha is the best "light" emulator.

Other than obvious things like the cartridges and modifications for home use (no quarters for instance), the AES and MVS are identical right? So emulation should be the same regardless.

Other than obvious things like the cartridges and modifications for home use (no quarters for instance), the AES and MVS are identical right? So emulation should be the same regardless.

AES mode is only available in mame thanks to the unibios. Without that function a standalone emulator would have to be made using the AES bios and therefore not necessarily be of the same quality as mame.

I was really covering my ass saying that I only have experience of MVS as I don't think there is a dedicated AES emulator but could be wrong. I'm curious to know if the home carts have the MVS code on them in the same way MVS carts contained the home versions.

Fularu

Banned
AES mode is only available in mame thanks to the unibios. Without that function a standalone emulator would have to be made using the AES bios and therefore not necessarily be of the same quality as mame.

I was really covering my ass saying that I only have experience of MVS as I don't think there is a dedicated AES emulator but could be wrong. I'm curious to know if the home carts have the MVS code on them in the same way MVS carts contained the home versions.

AFAIK AES versus MVS is just a different pinset and it's all about the bios of the unit runing them (MVS board bios vs AES board bios). It's the exact same game on both

Top Bottom