• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

D&D is working. I think the board was loose. Glad it was an easy fix.

QpwRrXF.png

meppi

Starting to get drawn back into my Sega Saturn collection, I ordered a bunch of games this past week.
The first one just came in.

I wouldn't be able to call my collection complete without this gem. ;P

Also got two DS games from Videogamesplus that I missed out on for some reason, even though I have every other entry in the series.

edit. Oh the mailman just dropped by as well. :D

Starting to get drawn back into my Sega Saturn collection, I ordered a bunch of games this past week.
The first one just came in.

I wouldn't be able to call my collection complete without this gem. ;P

I have this too. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to win janken 5 times. It's worse than cat fighting in Yakuza.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I had no idea there was a Mr driller on dreamcast. How does it compare to the gba game?

The GBA games are sequels so they have more characters and game modes.

This is a port of the first arcade game so it's just Susumu and two courses, 500m or 1000m (oh and Survival mode). I would say it's pretty much the definitive version.

D&D is working. I think the board was loose. Glad it was an easy fix.

Nice!

I put so many hours into the Saturn port of that game.

My friends and I (not being able to read Japanese) had almost as much fun making up our own dialogue for the game as actually playing it.

Between D&D Arcade, Shadows Over Mystara, and Guardian Heroes, so many hours lost.

meppi

I have this too. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to win janken 5 times. It's worse than cat fighting in Yakuza.

I have no idea whatsoever. Just got it in so I haven't even tested it out.
Gonna have a go during my vacation next week. ;)

I had no idea there was a Mr driller on dreamcast. How does it compare to the gba game?
It's been a loooong time since I played it on the Dreamcast.
I bought the PAL copy on Sat, September 8, 2001 looking at my list.
From what I remember it was a really great version. Perhaps not the extras and such, but I remember having a ton of fun with it.

is that a shooter or fighter?

It's strip rock paper scissors.

hehehe. :D

Hopefully I'll get my care package delivered tomorrow.
Ordered quite a few Saturn games as well as a couple of Dreamcast ones from VGI.
Nothing crazy. Just a couple of games I wanted to try as well as some games that I had on PAL systems or on a different console but wanted to play on the Sega ones.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finally got my water cooling stuff, which means I now have all the kit that I need for making my computer an absolute fucking monstrosity. I also added up in my head the amount I ultimately spent on shit that has no discernible impact on performance for this, and just kind of cried on the inside.

Finally got my water cooling stuff, which means I now have all the kit that I need for making my computer an absolute fucking monstrosity. I also added up in my head the amount I ultimately spent on shit that has no discernible impact on performance for this, and just kind of cried on the inside.

If we're talking PC stuff now, I was pretty happy to find that my motherboard is in fact not going bad after 6 years. I had a lot of crashes coming out of sleep for the last... 6 months or so, but it's been getting worse lately.

I found out that an upright freezer I have next to my computer desk was really affecting the power consistency on the circuit when its compressor started up and with just a cheap surge protector everything is perfect.

If we're talking PC stuff now, I was pretty happy to find that my motherboard is in fact not going bad after 6 years. I had a lot of crashes coming out of sleep for the last... 6 months or so, but it's been getting worse lately.

I found out that an upright freezer I have next to my computer desk was really affecting the power consistency on the circuit when its compressor started up and with just a cheap surge protector everything is perfect.
In my experience, weird computer hardware problems are related to PSU/power issues at least half the time. Pain in the ass to diagnose though.

KC-Slater

get a quality psu like the below and you will be fine, this one was recommended to me by RGB and unlike others i have used in the past does not get remotely warm even after hours of play.

http://eu.suzohapp.com/product/42PP0606/15-amp-powersupply-

atx are more convenient and safer if you have kids or curious animals roaming about but the adjustability of the 5v on a propper arcade psu makes them a must imho.

Cool, thanks for the info. That's the PSU RGB suggest I pick up as well. My only concern is that in a consolized setup, I'd have to hack apart an extension cord or something in order to plug it into my wall outlet, no?

Cool, thanks for the info. That's the PSU RGB suggest I pick up as well. My only concern is that in a consolized setup, I'd have to hack apart an extension cord or something in order to plug it into my wall outlet, no?

yeah you have to get a plug and strip one end to make the below and attach it to the terminals. where are you based? i know a guy in the uk who could do it for you if you don't have the confidence to do it yourself.

DSC00743+%28Small%29.JPG

KC-Slater

yeah you have to get a plug and strip one end to make the below and attach it to the terminals. where are you based? i know a guy in the uk who could do it for you if you don't have the confidence to do it yourself.

DSC00743+%28Small%29.JPG

Hey, thanks for the photo -- that actually helps a lot! I'm in Toronto, Canada. I reached out to someone on the Arcade-Project forum to put one together, but if it falls through, I may take you up on your recommendation (or maybe try myself...)

I feel confident about my soldering abilities, but when it comes to dealing with wires coming directly into something like a PSU I get cold feet and typically ask for help.

Hey RetroGAF,
just got home, i went to Philly today to see one of my students graduation at Nova. i stopped by two stores while randomly killing time:
Jay St. Videosgames and picked up buy 2 get 3rd 50% off (plus time crisis for 6 bucks) they were all mint condition discs and manual for hang on/astro warrior was mint. i was looking for a complete copy for a while.

and the second stop:
Classic Video Game Junkie: the owner was super friendly and the co-worker took a lot of time to get me prices. i got ninja gaiden for 39 bucks shinobi III cib for 29 and a few misc ps2 titles:

Danny Dudekisser

I absolutely love Way of the Samurai. Can't vouch for any of the sequels, but the first game is such a fun, polished experience. That's another one of those games that I stupidly sold at some point and need to buy back.

IrishNinja

I absolutely love Way of the Samurai. Can't vouch for any of the sequels, but the first game is such a fun, polished experience. That's another one of those games that I stupidly sold at some point and need to buy back.

i have them all - they change setting, and some are better than others (4 is crazy/wacky, 3 was kinda ehhh for me) but 1 is the simplest, purest form of a Yojimbo type game. its only flaw, i thought, was good luck getting the proper ending without a guide...but crazy replay value!

meppi

Got my care package in. :)

8aA9dFD.jpg

faLs0Os.jpg

And some freebies added as well.
No idea what kind of game the one with the monsters is at all besides it looking like a puzzler. Have not seen that one before at all...

ZTx1061.jpg

meppi

Thanks!. I'm really looking forward to this full week vacation. :)

I don't know yet as I haven't booted them up so far.
Popped in Street Fighter Zero 2 last night, plugged in the Virtual Stick and ended up playing till past 1 AM. It's been a very long time since I last played it, but it's such an easy game to slip back into.
Looks gorgeous as well with the framemeister. I wish I had some capture equipment to grab some of this stuff as it looks phenomenal.

FFS Retro Game Supply expects me to ship their broken power supply back to them for a refund.

I'll pay half or more the price of the thing to ship it to france as it cost. Avoid them.

Hey, thanks for the photo -- that actually helps a lot! I'm in Toronto, Canada. I reached out to someone on the Arcade-Project forum to put one together, but if it falls through, I may take you up on your recommendation (or maybe try myself...)

I feel confident about my soldering abilities, but when it comes to dealing with wires coming directly into something like a PSU I get cold feet and typically ask for help.

Yo KC I'm in Toronto and i regularly work on live 600Vac for a living. If you want some help I'd be glad to teach you!

Danny Dudekisser

FFS Retro Game Supply expects me to ship their broken power supply back to them for a refund.

I'll pay half or more the price of the thing to ship it to france as it cost. Avoid them.

Threaten to do a chargeback. If that doesn't work, do a chargeback.

There's no reason to put up with shit.

Glowsquid

Is there any comprehensive site hosting scans of Japanese game manuals? I'm trying to find the Japanese manaul of Robotica/Daedlus on Saturn.

One of my favourite shoot em ups without a doubt. :)
Just finished up a new Sega Saturn magazine if anyone is interested. ;)

Oh and a nice quality cover scan.
damn i want Layer section. nice grabs!!!

sorry that happened to you =/ i had that happen to me for a high priced item from italy. guy wanted me to pay 50+ bucks to ship it back and told me to eat the cost over his mistake.

Threaten to do a chargeback. If that doesn't work, do a chargeback.

There's no reason to put up with shit.
yeah i did the same thing and got my money back.

dubc35

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't see what is wrong with them wanting you to ship it back and pay for it. How do they know it is broken without testing it? Why should they pay to ship it to you and back? This isn't Amazon. That said, after a brief visit to their website, they should have return/refund policy documented so expectations are known. I don't see anything on there; maybe it's in the purchasing process. I'm understanding of your situation so please don't take this as an attack, I've been burned by this situation before as well. It sucks, you have junk on hand and have to pay to send said junk back.

Galdelico

sorry that happened to you =/ i had that happen to me for a high priced item from italy. guy wanted me to pay 50+ bucks to ship it back and told me to eat the cost over his mistake.
Sorry you had to go through that crap.
As an Italian guy myself, I don't know what's going on again with people from my country on eBay. The two worst experiences I've ever had on there happened in recent months, both with sellers from my country. Still can't decide who's been the most awful.
I feel like the general advice of contacting the seller before, and go on and buy only if you get a stellar impression out of it, comes especially recommended, nowadays.

meppi

The weather today was way too beautiful to stay indoors, so I'm spending all afternoon in the garden by the pond.
Didn't feel like reading today and I wanted to play some Neo Turf Masters.
Quickly found out that I couldn't see a thing on my switch with all the sunlight, so I quickly went and had a dig through some unopened packing boxes and pulled out the next best thing. ;)

Had to grab Revenge of the Gator as well once I came across it.

If this weather keeps up, I think I'll go on a bit of a treasure hunt tomorrow and see where my Wonderswan and Namco Wonder Classic is located since I remember absolutely loving that golf game as well.

Good old ancient technology to the rescue! :D

meppi

You can see a GBC screen under the sun? I had no idea.

Absolutely.
Either facing towards the sun and thus having your reflection in the screen still makes it possible to see what's going on.
And with the sun behind you and directly hitting the screen or your shadow blocking the sun a bit, it's still perfectly possible to see everything.
As you can see in the pic actually. The sun is shining very brightly and is hitting the screen head one, and it's still capturing on a photo.

Gonna try my OG GBA tomorrow as the forecast is a 24°C day.
A backlit GBA probably won't work as well I think.

Way of the Samurai 1 is an underrated gem, and Obscure: The Aftermath is a solid horror title too
i started playing Obscure The Aftermath and it's pretty good. i can't believe i never heard of it till i picked it up =)

Sorry you had to go through that crap.
As an Italian guy myself, I don't know what's going on again with people from my country on eBay. The two worst experiences I've ever had on there happened in recent months, both with sellers from my country. Still can't decide who's been the most awful.
I feel like the general advice of contacting the seller before, and go on and buy only if you get a stellar impression out of it, comes especially recommended, nowadays.
i did return the item as the seller told me he would reimburse me for return shipping but when he refused i just went through paypal and got refunded. so far the other time i got something from Italy, it came safe!

meppi

Just got two small packages in the mail from Japan.
Only two more left and then it'll be a while before I order anything else I think. Been a crazy week.

I remember having a ton of fun with Valora Valley Golf back in the 90's when me and my best friend were on vacation at the beach.
Doubt it holds up well nowadays though.
His parents had a caravan and his grandfather gave him his. So we ended up playing games till the early hours every night and going to the arcades in the daytime. :)

Played a ton of Waverace 64 as well there in the summer.
It was the perfect location for it. ;)

It was also there where I got to know Puzzle de Pon R! and the reason why even 15 years later I wanted to have both of those games on my AES even though they never came home.
Bought the MVS carts and had two professional looking conversions made.
Still love those games to death. Really wish we'd get them on other systems as well like the Switch and PS4, but no one ever mentions them so that won't happen. :'(

Khaz

Only about 4.5 hours left before the ZX Spectrum Kickstarter is done! And I'm not trying to scrap some last minute pledges, because the project was actually funded in fewer than two days.

All the stretch goals have been achieved too: now the computer comes with a bigger FPGA, an easier expansion system (slots for RAM and modules / no soldering required), 1MB (!!!) of RAM, a printed manual, an additional controller port, 5 new or remade games, and all that in a pretty box. And the promise of internet software and dev tools for the wireless connection, like a direct link to world of spectrum to download your games directly to the machine, multiplayer gaming or twitter.

The 8bit computer can be augmented with wifi, a real time clock chip (RTC), more RAM, and a Raspberry Pi as a daughterboard. It comes by default with HDMI and RGB out, a keyboard/mouse port, two joysticks ports and an SD card reader, in addition to all the original ZX Spectrum specs.

Oh, and the Next can be retrofitted in an original Spectrum case (with some shell hacking to make room for the new ports).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835143999/zx-spectrum-next/

This isn't a Kickstarter exclusive, the ZX Spectrum Next is expected to be sold normally in online shops. Still if you consider getting one, you may want to get in on the Kickstarter train, as the retail price will be higher. The Kickstarter computers are pretty much sold at cost.

Only about 4.5 hours left before the ZX Spectrum Kickstarter is done! And I'm not trying to scrap some last minute pledges, because the project was actually funded in fewer than two days.

All the stretch goals have been achieved too: now the computer comes with a bigger FPGA, an easier expansion system (slots for RAM and modules / no soldering required), 1MB (!!!) of RAM, a printed manual, an additional controller port, 5 new or remade games, and all that in a pretty box. And the promise of internet software and dev tools for the wireless connection, like a direct link to world of spectrum to download your games directly to the machine, multiplayer gaming or twitter.

The 8bit computer can be augmented with wifi, a real time clock chip (RTC), more RAM, and a Raspberry Pi as a daughterboard. It comes by default with HDMI and RGB out, a keyboard/mouse port, two joysticks ports and an SD card reader, in addition to all the original ZX Spectrum specs.

Oh, and the Next can be retrofitted in an original Spectrum case (with some shell hacking to make room for the new ports).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835143999/zx-spectrum-next/

This isn't a Kickstarter exclusive, the ZX Spectrum Next is expected to be sold normally in online shops. Still if you consider getting one, you may want to get in on the Kickstarter train, as the retail price will be higher. The Kickstarter computers are pretty much sold at cost.

Looks awesome and good job on the pledge goal completion, but I don't know much about the Spectrum. I'll have to Google it.

Top Bottom