• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Maxpacker

Picked up one of these Hyperkin "Cadet" controllers for NES because I heard good things about them. It's actually really good and doesn't feel cheap and crappy like most of the Hyperkin stuff. The d-pad and buttons feel excellent too, no unintended d-pad presses or anything, and it has a nice 10 foot cord. I tested it on several games and it works just as good or better than a dogbone. The plastic is not quite as robust as the originals but not bad either. You can get wii/wiiU/nes classic version, and a usb pc version also

Sur3NrEh.jpg

nQk0Pagl.jpg

I checked out the internals too, and everything is legit all around inside also.

Peltz

Replaying Metroid Zero Mission, but this time on Hard Mode for the first time. I never realized it, but the game was way too easy on normal. Hard mode should have been the default. It offers a nice challenge and feeling of danger that was part of the original Metroid experience. If a modern journalist were to write up a summary, I'm sure he'd say something along the lines of "a fast paced Souls-like experience." Resource management is also a thing because you have far less ammunition. So every missle and super missle counts that much more.

Normal mode is very unbalanced in comparison. Nothing can kill you because you have far too much life and ammunition on hand. On hard mode, the game is very fast and your reflexes actually get tested. I died against Ridley like 5 times before I beat him this morning, and I don't think I've lost once on a previous playthrough against the same boss.

I'm now in the area before reaching Mother Brain and the swarm of Metroids are absolutely kicking my ass. This is how it should be.

And dare I say, when played this way, Metroid Zero may be the best Metroid game of them all. It's a fast experience. Boss fights take no time, but you can also get wiped out in no time too. So every boss fight in the game feels like a small series of deadly transactions rather than a drawn out act of pattern recognition and laborious repetition. If you get caught taking damage, you're finished in no time. But bosses also have limited health. When you combine this with the fact that your inventory is far more limited, it makes each jump and shot count so much more.

And due to the limited health, navigation requires a lot more precision too. Every drop into the lava and every hit from even the lowliest of foes takes off a considerable amount of life. This actually means that you can die even in the most innocent looking areas if you're not careful.

I highly recommend everyone give it a shot. It takes a good game and elevates it to something very special. And never once does the hard mode feel too hard or unfair.

Replaying Metroid Zero Mission, but this time on Hard Mode for the first time. I never realized it, but the game was way too easy on normal. Hard mode should have been the default. It offers a nice challenge and feeling of danger that was part of the original Metroid experience.

Huh. Don't think I ever played it on hard when I first purchased it and beat it. I am getting closer to getting my GC and GBP hooked into my setup. I think this should be my first game. I just went through Metroid II a few weeks ago and actually quite enjoyed it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I actually got all the endings in Zero Mission back in the day. I never looked up any strategies for the speed runs either. Only thing I ever looked up was the number of items I should get to do the <15% runs.

Retro Fighters are making a new controller that works on the N64 and PC

81ff5945b482f796b71de1cc922f9fea_original.jpg

Retro bit did something similar recently with NES and PC if I remember correctly.

Surprised no one has done this with a replica Saturn controller. I always see folks lamenting how expensive the SLS ones are.

Retro Fighters are making a new controller that works on the N64 and PC

ECY5VAP.jpg

Looks neat I guess but

a) I have no confidence in 3rd party controllers from any company except HORI. Expect a lot of jank.

and most importantly

b) Kickstarter. Ugh.

I hope to be proven wrong cause I need a couple more N64 controllers, and, while I appreciate the 3 prong design for a lot of games on that platform, there are certainly plenty where it's nonsensical.

I remember beating the game once or twice a day every day trying to find new routes to save myself time. I don't have the patience for that now.

I used to be like that. Adult me now completes the game once and looks up the alternate endings on YouTube if I care enough.

Fularu

Banned
Retro bit did something similar recently with NES and PC if I remember correctly.

Surprised no one has done this with a replica Saturn controller. I always see folks lamenting how expensive the SLS ones are.
Because the market is flooded with fake ones for sub10$ a pair. It would be a hard sell

Yeah that's a concern. Hopefully it works out. The WiiU Pro controller turned out fine, for example.

Noap. Answered in that thread as well. Gotta stop doing that. A big problem may have been switching back and forth between the screenpad and pro controller though. Will see if I ever get it in my hands in person though.

Laws00

Tuesday I spent 5 to 6 hours in the basement seperating this Katamari ball of video game controllers and wires into 2 smaller bins.

With that said I don't think I'm going to mess with any of my retro games and systems till I move out the house. Lol most of the stuff is double rubber banded

I think the only thing that I could use is my PS3. All I need is a controller, hdmi, and cord. Not like I'm going to be using my analog sticks for gaming lol

With that done, going to seperate my PS3, and Xbox 360 games into smaller bins too. So that's about 300 something games.

Then I have my wild bin of nes, snes, n64, genesis, DS, Wii, game gear, and gameboy that I need to separate. That's going to be a fun one.

Vespa

5-6 hours?! You must have a ton of controllers and cables. I read somewhere about throwing controllers in a zip lock bag to keep it neat but I've not tried done that yet. I've got everything in see through storage boxes but shit still gets tangled.

5-6 hours?! You must have a ton of controllers and cables. I read somewhere about throwing controllers in a zip lock bag to keep it neat but I've not tried done that yet. I've got everything in see through storage boxes but shit still gets tangled.

Zip locks are my new trick. I make sure to zip them up 99% of the way leaving just enough room for air to escape. That way everything fits nice and snug in my bins without taking up extra room

Laws00

Zip locks are my new trick. I make sure to zip them up 99% of the way leaving just enough room for air to escape. That way everything fits nice and snug in my bins without taking up extra room

I did the ziplock but I don't want to use up stuff that i might need to put random food in. not to mention i did this on whim. it was this or get a hair cut and get dinner. i choose this and didnt eat dinner.......lol

I posted this way back in the beginning of the year.

Added in like 6 wired controllers and 3 AC (block) adapters to this ball.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I did the ziplock but I don't want to use up stuff that i might need to put random food in. not to mention i did this on whim. it was this or get a hair cut and get dinner. i choose this and didnt eat dinner.......lol

I posted this way back in the beginning of the year.

Added in like 6 wired controllers and 3 AC (block) adapters to this ball.

How does that even happen?

IrishNinja

no lie

bring that shit to MIA and i will untangle it, and put em in the respective corners

i don't have many talents but that's one, ill do it while we drink & chat, it's like the only thing i can actually multitask at

okay okay so im drunk, real talk now

10 years or so back i went to a fellow gaffer's apt (not sayin names) who had mad rare shit from a stint working in japan, right

i cleaned dude's apt cause i love dude & he's a slob and fucksake, he had like every disc of panzer saga in different rooms, one might've been used for a coaster...found the PS2 copies of SEGA AGES Phantasy Star collection likewise everywhere but i made it right

i now live with dude & keep shit in check but i didn't realize my tragically low-level superpower until like last year when i literally had a dream about organizing endless bookshelves & accepted that i lowkey love the shit out of organizing things

my philosophy books are in order of era, my vinyl is alphabetical by genre, but my games are genre and then ordered by my favorites like a bad take on High Fidelity that never ends

i'm not really going anywhere with this, except to say: fam if you invite me to your shit & it's a mess PLEASE BELIEVE i will right that wrong, classics of all mediums need to be experienced & accessible, or my soul burns. love y'all~

IrishNinja

i did my BA in philosophy, with a specialization on ethics, philosophy of death & existentialism. it's at least one full shelf but most of that bookcase is varying philosophy or politics shit, the next one over is classic video game mags & the largest/final one is TPBs of comics i sold, i had 10 longboxes of them shits & only kept 1 of stuff not yet reprinted. i have way too many books fam

which is to say: you should cut any hangtabs you're inclined, open every sealed game & experience it, because i have it on no authority at all that this is your only go at existence & frankly you might as well emulate earthbound when you can cause the rules are made up and the points don't matter

also literally no one of merit cares about spine cards

IrishNinja

Why is retro gaf a bunch of lawyers and philosophers

fam

who the fuck else archives classic shit like we do?

like have you ever looked into philosophy books? 99% of them are professors who literally publish to some vanity shit that no one but other phi profs/adjuncts read, just for the chance to rebuke them. no one expects to put up the next Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance because no one's got the experience/worldview/charisma that interesting yet, or they'd just start a cult & be about that life instead

so quietly the same instinct that tells these herbs to care about what fuckin john stuart mill said forever ago tells them hey if you enjoy gaming hit up some SG1000 bullshit no one cares about today either, and next thing you know BAM you're trying to outbid d-Lo on some shit because fuck money

excuse me while i go try to advance a tomato fan translation of Super Famicom Tantei Club II because i've long since accepted this existence is absurd and i'm barely in control of it anyway

fam

who the fuck else archives classic shit like we do?

like have you ever looked into philosophy books? 99% of them are professors who literally publish to some vanity shit that no one but other phi profs/adjuncts read, just for the chance to rebuke them. no one expects to put up the next Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance because no one's got the experience/worldview/charisma that interesting yet, or they'd just start a cult & be about that life instead

so quietly the same instinct that tells these herbs to care about what fuckin john stuart mill said forever ago tells them hey if you enjoy gaming hit up some SG1000 bullshit no one cares about today either, and next thing you know BAM you're trying to outbid d-Lo on some shit because fuck money

excuse me while i go try to advance a tomato fan translation of Super Famicom Tantei Club II because i've long since accepted this existence is absurd and i'm barely in control of it anyway
Unfortunately I'm also getting my BA in philosophy. And perhaps a PhD.

Really though there does seem to be a correlation between philosophers, history lovers, and people enjoy who classic games. Guess it's not terribly surprising once you think about it, but on the surface it's a weird one.

IrishNinja

it's not though; we're all engineered to care about those that came before, to such an extent we literally think those that don't care are somehow less enlightened/etc

like, no matter how drunk i get, i can't escape this perspective: you know how years back there was this false dichotomy about the hardcore vs the casuals? and sometimes it was based on niche shit, or how many games you played...but then a long time ago i made friends with folks who literally only bought one madden/COD/etc type of game each year & made them last and i was almost jelly.

then i realized: my own definition of hardcore was the same i had for hip hop & movies & such: if you're not raiding the crates for gems, but only assuming the newest shit is the best, you're casual as fuck & frankly fuck your life. it's a very narrow definition but i feel it from my sub-cockles.

real talk: if you're doing your PhD in socrates philosophies & hypthesies, be sure to
a) teach
b) write a book (a good one)
c) start a cult
d) write a book and or teach about a cult you started where you got a lot of money for retro games and or ass cause that might be all you get

that's pretty much it. i'm a civil servant cause plato was on that bullshit.

Galdelico

Not sure what's more inspiring. Drunk Irish's posts or Laws' conglomeration of doom. The fact that there's one single wire going somewhere (top left), makes me think that monster can be turned on and come to life all together.

real talk: if you're doing your PhD in socrates philosophies & hypthesies, be sure to
a) teach
b) write a book (a good one)
c) start a cult
d) write a book and or teach about a cult you started where you got a lot of money for retro games and or ass cause that might be all you get

that's pretty much it. i'm a civil servant cause plato was on that bullshit.
more of a post modernist, but I can work on a cult.

Galdelico

you really should

you know all those assholes with YT channels who get randos to buy them rare saturn games? they're doing the same thing

On a serious note, the other day I stumbled on some retro dude's video on YT - 8bitguy, I believe... I didn't know about him - who seems very popular, with loads and loads of subs. Well, this sir basically runs a 'monthly donations' series - along with his main videos - and the amount of stuff he got donated in less than 30 days shocked me. And I'm not talking about crappy, broken stuff... He gets fully complete (and rare in most cases) retro computer sets, among other things, which I figure they must be extremely valuable too, at least in those conditions. That was mind blowing.

IrishNinja

it is, isn't it? for real, get a retro game YT going - one with actual content - and start a patreon. if people don't send you what you want, you can buy it eventually.

i sent mark from Classic Game Room a CIB Genesis copy of Zombies Ate My Neighbors back in like 2013 that he still hasn't reviewed. it's a good hustle.

I work in communication/PR but I have a huge love for history of all kinds and I have recently realized I really love reading about philosophy and ethics.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im a social scientist at university, but also a huge history nerd, which i guess is related to my love of retro gaming.

Top Bottom