• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Peltz

Retro-GAF,

I have a confession: I don't understand video games. There are buttons on the controller, the buttons do things, but how do I play the games? How do I understand them? Should I try to die? Live? When I die it says Game Over. Is the game being over bad?

I have other questions, but I guess I'll just leave it at that for now.

Peer reviewed journal article source
I tried posting in that thread a few times. I honestly think some people there are trolling.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You guys make fun but I kinda felt the same way when Sonic first launched. It wasn't Mario and I hated it because of that. Took me a while to actually like the Genesis Sonic games.

televator

Dude be like:
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Tain

It really, really is. My favorite Sonic game has been the original, and I think Mania tops it from what I've played so far (despite some missteps).

also, those Sega callouts in the game are nice cherries on top.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean, I knew they were on to something when I played the PAX demo last year, but yeah. They really nailed the flow of platforming sections and just moving really fast... and every level I've played so far has brought some unique mechanics to the table and has some real personality.

It's soooo good. And really, there's something special about staying up late on a weekday to play Sonic on my Nintendo.

I got it on the PS4 Pro and dang is that game pretty. Two of the best CRT filters I've ever seen, too. Playing it in 4K with the filters is so strange, but I enjoy it. The soundtrack really blew me away though, especially Press Garden Zone, something super familiar/nostalgic about that melody.

Anyways, anybody check out the newest AVGN? All about Game Boy Accessories. I remember seeing some of these abominations in magazines and at the Sears video game section as a kid. Definitely a trip seeing them in use.

Anth0ny

Retro-GAF, I think we can safely add Sonic Mania to the "Love Letter to Retro Games Hall of Fame".

It stands there with Megaman 9.

BTails

You guys are making it REAL hard for me not to buy Sonic Mania. Having just come back from an expensive vacation, and my daughter starting daycare this week, it's penny counting time for a month or two!

Can't wait to play it though! It looks amazing.

Anth0ny

To be clear, though, it's good on its on merits -- not just because it's a highly-concentrated dose of nostalgia.

Yeah for sure, that's what I mean. Nostalgia ain't enough on its own, it has to be a great game. Megaman 9 and Sonic Mania qualify.

I want to see a new, amazing 8-bit Castlevania with the same type of love poured into it.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah for sure, that's what I mean. Nostalgia ain't enough on its own, it has to be a great game. Megaman 9 and Sonic Mania qualify.

I want to see a new, amazing 8-bit Castlevania with the same type of love poured into it.

I always wished that the Rebirth series that M2 developed for the Wii kept going. Castlevania and Contra Rebirth were both great. I want that concept taken to the next level.

Glowsquid

They're 480p.

Honestly I found Gradius Rebirth and Contra R to be both bad games, between their overreliance on boss and set pieces from the previous games (The first boss of Gradius Rebirth is Big Core, a boss so overused and simplistic that he was made a midboss in every following gradius games besise Nemesis on the game boy, the final boss of Contra Rebirth is the same as Contra 3's but sometimes a bunch of enemies appear from the left of the screen...), art that range from mediocre (Gradius) to awful (Contra), gameplay that simplify or ditches good features from previous sequels for no good reason, ... etc. I could write a novel on how much I dislike these games.

Now to be fair, I don't have everything about the Rebirth games. I like how the 3 loops in Gradius Rebirth have different level layouts and how the difficulties in Contra R sometimes significantly change enemy placement and the properties off boss attack. I also heard Castelvania Rebirth is notably better, but not being a fan of the underlying property and on account of being so badly burned on the other two Rebirth games, I have little incentive try it out.

I seem to recall the Retronauts crew, especially Parish, having some good things to say about the Castlevania game. Not that it was stellar but a decent modern dose of the classic formula.

You guys are making it REAL hard for me not to buy Sonic Mania. Having just come back from an expensive vacation, and my daughter starting daycare this week, it's penny counting time for a month or two!

Can't wait to play it though! It looks amazing.

Just buy it man!!!! It's priced very reasonably and it's an absolutely fantastic game!

I really want to point out, as others have said, that it stands all on its own. It's not just a "great one of those games if you like sonic" its a REALLY GREAT game.

And it has crt filters that aren't dog shit. That alone means your daughter can man up for a few days and fend for herself so you can afford Sonic!

Danny Dudekisser

I'm trying really fucking hard to savor Sonic Mania, though. Sitting around just thinking about the fucking game instead of playing it. It hurts me soul.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
I seem to recall the Retronauts crew, especially Parish, having some good things to say about the Castlevania game. Not that it was stellar but a decent modern dose of the classic formula.
It was a whole lot better than the game it was named after, that's for darned sure.

D.Lo

Alright I went to buy your stupid sonic game using the Russian thing but my card didn't work. And the AU price is insanity.

It was a whole lot better than the game it was named after, that's for darned sure.
Everyone always shits on Castlevania Adventure. I love it, great graphics and music (best on the system at release, and batter than Legends from almost a decade later) and once you get the hang of the controls and enemy patterns you can master it, I can one life the game.

Peagles

Alright I went to buy your stupid sonic game using the Russian thing but my card didn't work. And the AU price is insanity.

Everyone always shits on Castlevania Adventure. I love it, great graphics and music (best on the system at release, and batter than Legends from almost a decade later) and once you get the hang of the controls and enemy patterns you can master it, I can one life the game.

How much is it on the AU store??

Danny Dudekisser

I was delighted to learn that it's easy to game the location on Switch. You can just tell it you live in Montana so you don't have to pay sales tax. Yeah, it's only like $2, and I have the money, but the state of Washington can get deez nutz, as far as I'm concerned.

Laws00

All you guys are sitting there enjoying the new Sonic game and I'm over here waiting for Amazon to deliver my CE.

i double dipped my switch version doesnt come till the 21st or 22nd of this month.

so i bought the ps4 digital version in the mean time lol

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I thought Castlevania Rebirth was awesome when i played it at release, so i would definitely recommend it. And as Jeremy said, way better than the game boy-game for sure.

JapeMincers

Picked up this today from eBay. Took me a lot of searching to find an example as tidy as this. The insert, cart and manual are all in just as good condition.

LSJk30a.jpg

Krelian

Very nice! Too bad about the sticker but maybe it can be removed? I guess it's a bit tricky on cardboard, though. Anyway, Sonic & Knuckles is one of only very few Mega Drive games that I don't have the case for.

Galdelico

All this talk about modern-retro stuff, like those Konami Rebith Wii games and Sonic Mania, reminded me that I'm playing Cursed Castilla EX on my N3DSXL, and I'm loving it. I'm aware I should probably go with a version that supports a proper controller, but so far that's the only one I have access to. It's still surprisingly enjoyable and the game - as simple as it comes - seems pretty much flawless to me.

Very nice! Too bad about the sticker but maybe it can be removed? I guess it's a bit tricky on cardboard, though. Anyway, Sonic & Knuckles is one of only very few Mega Drive games that I don't have the case for.
it can be removed with no damage to the cardboard with lighter fluid.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate

It's sluggish, has poor collision detection/level design/enemy placement, and uses a power-up system unworthy of the name Castlevania. It's not without its merits, and I can see why some people like it. I'd rank it with flawed Castlevania clones like 8 Eyes and Vampire: Master of Darkness.

Kawika

It's sluggish, has poor collision detection/level design/enemy placement, and uses a power-up system unworthy of the name Castlevania. It's not without its merits, and I can see why some people like it. I'd rank it with flawed Castlevania clones like 8 Eyes and Vampire: Master of Darkness.

Speaking of Castlevania, I kind of fell off of the portable castlevanias after the GBA so I remedied that this past week. I hope I enjoy them. Also picked up a DSi XL and a few other games to play on my new DSi

IMG_20170812_132046.jpg

Speaking of GBA. I decided to finish my back light mod and use this shell.

20170809_171715-COLLAGE.jpg

Top Bottom