• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Jaeger

It's not exactly the same thing, but this still might be relevant to your query. X68000-inspired PC cases for modern PC builds.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150424_699518.html
mi68_x68kcase.jpg

Those are incredibly badass. I need one so bad now.

Is there a way to pre-order?

there's a thread on this, but it seems like it would be a good discussion here--

gamestop has put up their used retro games:
http://www.gamestop.com/collection/...7&sourceID=je6NUbpObpQ-52EcByy7.3fLRjiFOuZ3Bg

overall, not bad. you're taking a gamble on case/instructions with those PS1/DC games. cart prices are good for cart only. some stuff is higher, some lower than other markets. Seems like they knew they couldn't come in guns blazing with ridiculous prices and stayed mostly in line with markets. It seems to me like they're trying to get a little more on cheaper games, while going a little cheaper on expensive ones, actually.

RIP ebgames.com that had lots of retro games way cheaper than ebay ;_;

Khaz

I've never played a James Pond game. The screenshots in the magazines got me intrigued back in the day but that's it. Which one is still cool to play?
[edit] and on which hardware, eh?

brainpann

So, ive decided to buy an Atari Jaguar for my collection and possibly a Jaguar CD addon. Im pretty familiar with what titles are good but any reccomendation for not as well known titles? What is an acceptable price for a system with controller and power adapter? Games i plan on picking up are

Cybermorph -yeah i know itsnot great
Raiden
Tempest
Doom
Aliens VS Predator
Rayman...if i can find it at an acceptable price

My current plan is to pick up a just the system then the cd addon down the road,mostly just as a collectors piece though.

Any other thoughts?

Jaeger

So, ive decided to buy an Atari Jaguar for my collection and possibly a Jaguar CD addon. Im pretty familiar with what titles are good but any reccomendation for not as well known titles? What is an acceptable price for a system with controller and power adapter? Games i plan on picking up are

Cybermorph -yeah i know itsnot great
Raiden
Tempest
Doom
Aliens VS Predator
Rayman...if i can find it at an acceptable price

My current plan is to pick up a just the system then the cd addon down the road,mostly just as a collectors piece though.

Any other thoughts?

I don't know what price would be good, but I literally just saw most of those including the system and two controllers for a really good price earlier today. With clean labels and in great shape.

wondermega

James Pond throwing shade

tumblr_nqkuq8bcpO1ssv2soo1_540.jpg

I remember seeing this ad back in the day and it pissed me off. Why was James in an ice cream parlor? I get that he has a special suit to give him extra abilities (which explains why he can be a fish out of water and still alive) but the suit let's his actual fish body stretch as well? It doesn't make sense!

Seriously I never played the game because the nonsense of the ad confounded me. I was a strange kid.

My latest addition to my Game and Watch collection:

Spitball Sparky. Again like the last few I picked up its in wonderful condition and it'll most likely steal a number of hours from my life as these are so damn addictive...

^wow, that's cool. I've never seen that one before, let alone one that's vertically oriented.

Yeah, its one of the rarer subsets of Game and Watch handhelds - only two different Super Color games were made (this one and Crabgrab). I'm approaching 40/60 G&W handhelds collected now, I want to go after the nice looking table top ones at some stage, but finding them in good condition is fairly hard these days!

woodypop

Came upon this blog post by GAF's own cvxfreak.
http://cvxfreak.tumblr.com/post/124500956287/letting-go-saying-goodbye-to-my-re-collection

Anyone else ever feel like downsizing their collection in a similar fashion?
That's pretty inspiring.

In verrry small steps, I've begun to prune my collection. I wish it was due to an epiphany, like cvxfreak, but my primary motivator right now is a lack of space.

I just unloaded all my DDR games/pads to a co-worker for a cheap price. I dusted them off last week and realized I'd rather play Just Dance than DDR. The games aren't worth the space they're taking up, so out they go.

Also, I think I'm going to start taking my duplicates to conventions/shows to trade with vendors. There's not much sense in having multiples in a library, especially when I can convert them into games I don't yet have.

The main issue I have with my current collecting habits is acquiring games in the remote possibility that I might want to play them in the future, and that it's better to get them now before prices go up even higher. What I need to get better at is seriously considering if I will actually play a game before I blindly make the purchase. Otherwise, I'm wasting both money and space.

Khaz

I've always been intrigued by these massive collections of the same-but-slightly-different things. I can't comprehend them. I try to keep my own collection restricted to the better edition, with the occasional double if there is significant differences in gameplay worth owning both. I don't feel I'm building a museum, or doing essential preservation work, I'm just trying to get interesting games worth playing. I'm a sucker for the alternative ways of playing, and as such I tend to have a lot of joysticks, paddles, lightguns and other stuff, but again they all serve a purpose, which is to be played. Now, granted, most of my collection is barely played, I only have so much time. But at least I have the illusion that they can be played if I so wish.

I started collecting after being tired of having full rom sets on my hard drive. I didn't know what was good or bad in the set and I always felt overwhelmed when I wanted to play something: what game, out of the several thousands in front of me, will properly entertain me? I barely played something for a few minutes at best, switching to yet another rom to test.

With this mindset, I felt a lot of relief when I started using wish lists, on Steam and rfgeneration: I don't own everything that is in my opinion worth owning, and to my great sadness my wish list grows faster than my owned list, but if I ever feel the urge to get them I know they are one click away and a couple of days of wait if I get them on eBay. I have a physical collection, and a virtual collection if you will.

Teknoman

Personally i'd say only keep anything you'd replay, and if it doesnt have a definitive version that the original doesnt have any real difference to.

http://cvxfreak.tumblr.com/post/124500956287/letting-go-saying-goodbye-to-my-re-collection

A great post. I have been de cluttering my basement based on some of these principles (I haven't read the Kondo book but my brain works like that anyway). I'm selling hundreds of CDs, dozens of DVDs and about 50 video game items, mostly NES carts. They've gone up on eBay and I'm going to net about $300 from them after shipping and fees. It's going toward a Framemeister so I can finally finally fucking play the retro games I do have.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Any X68000 owners here? My friend just came across one and is looking for parts/cables... I've seen the Game Sack ep on it but don't know much about it.

Also any PC-FX owners? I'd be interested in one due to the plethora of obscure anime games for it.

Anth0ny

I've also recently had the realization that I don't have enough space for my video game collection as it is, let alone what I want for my collection.

While I never intended to go for complete console sets or anything like that (Well, I briefly considered a full N64 set...), I had a wishlist of at least 600 games that I wanted to pick up at some point.

At some point over the last few months, I said fuck it. I boxed up all the games I don't really want to display and will never play again (hint: anything with EA or Ubisoft on the box), and managed to cut down my wishlist from 600+ to about 40 games that I really want to pick up and play. While I'm sure I will become aware of new, obscure, awesome looking games that I will want to buy in the future, I will try my best to pick it up digitally. If I can't? Fuck it. I'll just replay Banjo Kazooie or something.

What I'm trying to say is... running out of space kinda sucks. But I have to say it was a relief shortening that massive wish list down so far. Do I really need a physical version of Marvel vs. Capcom for the Dreamcast when I already own it on XBLA? Do I need to pick up The World is Not Enough just because it's a Bond game and I loved Goldeneye? I've gotten burned so many times on so called "awesome" western, AAA games from the PS3/360 gen, I don't think I need to play another Assassin's Creed, or Uncharted, or Infamous.

Life is good. Next step is backing up all my shit onto everdrives ;)

Jaeger

Great post. I'm doing more of the same. I just feel I don't need any more of my collection right now. Only so many versions of SF worth anything. I want to collect not only games I love, but games I want to play. And games that have real value. Only a handful of SF titles are worth anything. And owning items of real value is half the fun for me. There are definitely more valuable games I would love to have out there than 10 versions of Champion Edition.

Shaneus

What I'm trying to say is... running out of space kinda sucks. But I have to say it was a relief shortening that massive wish list down so far. Do I really need a physical version of Marvel vs. Capcom for the Dreamcast when I already own it on XBLA? Do I need to pick up The World is Not Enough just because it's a Bond game and I loved Goldeneye? I've gotten burned so many times on so called "awesome" western, AAA games from the PS3/360 gen, I don't think I need to play another Assassin's Creed, or Uncharted, or Infamous.
You think being into retro gaming and running out of space kinda sucks? Imagine being into pinball and living in a one-bedroom unit. I have two machines and one is in my bedroom :/

Anth0ny

You think being into retro gaming and running out of space kinda sucks? Imagine being into pinball and living in a one-bedroom unit. I have two machines and one is in my bedroom :/

Yeah, I can't even imagine collecting any of the bigger stuff, like an arcade cabinet. Luckily, I don't really have any huge attachment to any single arcade cabinet in particular. the only thing that would come close is this, I guess:

oGHyHQr.jpg

It prints pictures. Of POKEMON.

can't emulate that.

kogasu

You could certainly build yourself a bed out of pinball machines. I think three or four right next to each other with a blanket and pillows on top should do the trick. ;D

Honestly though, cool on cvxfreak for doing what he felt he needed and some of you guys too. I'm not at that point yet that my video game library takes up too much space.
(I'm actually more cluttered up with giant music equipment at the moment, and I'm not even trying to build that up lol)
I'm in that boat of buying definitive editions and just games that I'd really play/replay. Even then, I'm sure eventually I'll end up amassing a library that takes up too much space. When that happens, I'll probably go the storage route. I always end up missing games when I sell them. Unless I really just hated the experience heh.

emb

As far as downsizing, I'll definitely need to do that someday. There's way too much fringe stuff that I don't really want, don't want to throw away. Damaged games/accessories, promotional items, boxes/manuals for systems where I go cart only. Little things like that add up a ton, never mind all the other useless junk I keep around for sentimental reasons.

Yeah, I can't even imagine collecting any of the bigger stuff, like an arcade cabinet. Luckily, I don't really have any huge attachment to any single arcade cabinet in particular. the only thing that would come close is this, I guess:

[snip]

It prints pictures. Of POKEMON.

can't emulate that.

I still have my card (superior Charmander version), and I think a page of my stickers somewhere. I can't ever use the stickers because I can't replace them though. D:

I can't imagine collecting pinball or arcade machines. I would like to have a cabinet eventually though. Probably a Street Fighter II or Pac-Man setup, if I had a choice. More likely, I'll come across one in the 500 range that I'm only kinda interested in, and just pull the trigger someday. Even more likely, I'll never actually go for it.

Rondo of Blood, or Battle Garegga (of you had a choice between both for about the same price)?

Garegga consistently sells for over $215, and you should be able to get Rondo for under $150. If you can get Garegga for the current going price of Rondo, do it immediately. Garegga is still at the top of my Saturn want list.

Peagles

Okay, I think I've finally hit the point of collecting fatigue. I'm surrounded by stuff and I'm sick of it. I either need a house or to get rid of some stuff :(

Okay, I think I've finally hit the point of collecting fatigue. I'm surrounded by stuff and I'm sick of it. I either need a house or to get rid of some stuff :(

happens. Probably good to be in the habit of purging your collection of some things you don't really care much for. In theory, you'll eventually have a collection you really care for.

Peagles

Apartment lyfe :(

Rent is astronomical, house prices are even worse. Maybe a good clear out would help fund a house deposit. My Dad did the same with his record collection back before I was born.

I think a big problem would be in trying not to sell anything you would regret, and of course those games and items are normally the high priced ones, so you don't end up making as much money as you hoped. Or you could clear out everything and then may regret it in 10 years when you want them again and the prices are even worse.

Just a situation that I'm happy to not be in. I'm pretty much a black hole when it comes to my vidya games. Once stuff gets to me it loses all value since it will never be sold. Only things that have ever escaped were stolen away. :c

Khaz

The last time I sold something I ended up regretting it and buying it again. It was some cheap mediocre stuff that I thought I would never play again, then ten years after nostalgia kicked in. But yeah, it's a terrible situation to be in.

Apartment lyfe :(

Rent is astronomical, house prices are even worse. Maybe a good clear out would help fund a house deposit. My Dad did the same with his record collection back before I was born.

I just went through a purge. Made a few hundred bucks on eBay. Feels a little better knowing you're getting good $$ for it all.

Top Bottom