• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

entremet

In terms of white whales.

No idea.

I tend to collect by ear. I don't keep a list. It's all in my head.

Also if the game is on the Wii VC, which is an excellent way to play retro games in 240p, I won't try to collect it physically.

Peltz

Also if the game is on the Wii VC, which is an excellent way to play retro games in 240p, I won't try to collect it physically.

I ruined this for myself by doing a system transfer to Wii U :*(

So many games down the drain because I didn't know it couldn't output 240p.

Great Battle series player! More people need to try those SFC Great Battle SD games.

You have good taste.

Peltz

nintendo not having a unified account system is some fucked up shit

Yep. I also transfered DSi games to my 3DS like a fool too not realizing how bad they'd look. At least there they allow you to run stuff in native resolution. But I'd take it back if I could to avoid the black borders.

I'm tempted to rebuy Go! Go! Kokopolo on my DSi XL as we speak.

Rich!

Install homebrew on both consoles, use a wad manager to backup your Wii VC titles onto SD then simply reinstall them onto your old Wii.

Boom. Sorted. I've backed up every Wii purchase I've made, digital and physical.

televator

Random ass question: I'm taking all the american racists' advice and going back to Mexico. :p I'm looking to transport a good portion of my gaming goods, but would the TSA let me take soldering tools, various systems, and accessories without suspecting me of trying to build a dirty nuke or something?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ugh. Got in an argument tonight on a local retro game group on Facebook. People talking about "repros" (aka counterfeits) of rare games like Little Samson and Stadium Events. Had somebody suggest that this kind of thing is "okay" because everybody should be cracking open every single game they buy to check the boards anyway. It's always their fault if they get scammed. Some supreme victim-blaming bullshit.

Yes Boss!

Never underestimate the power of classic Wii/VC. Plenty of other options out there but as a legit off-the-shelf source it is worth it having a Wii on hand for that. Plus component out, etc. Prolly worth it to pick up a cheapy Wii and restart a new little catalog of rarities on VC for 240p...things like Ironclad and Alien Soldier and whatnot (most of the TG-16 games still look like shit, though).

Khaz

I'm looking at an MSX2 for about $100, but I know nothing about this machine, except it had the first Metal Gear games and Gradius / Salamander shooters. Should I go for it?

entremet

Ugh. Got in an argument tonight on a local retro game group on Facebook. People talking about "repros" (aka counterfeits) of rare games like Little Samson and Stadium Events. Had somebody suggest that this kind of thing is "okay" because everybody should be cracking open every single game they buy to check the boards anyway. It's always their fault if they get scammed. Some supreme victim-blaming bullshit.

The retro scene has gotten so ugly of late honestly.

I love the games, but the whole scene just irks me. I only buy what I want to play luckily. I'm not into complete sets or getting games just to get them.

IrishNinja

haha damn, for real? that's...wow, that's a gross argument to be making. ive opened all my carts but i don't nearly expect reasonable people to do this.

Seems like they are trapped in their own positive feedback loop. I think it is general consensus that you shouldn't do repros of games that are fully released in areas that you are making the repro for (thus the very fact that what you have exists is proof that it is a repro), and if you do for some reason they should be marked in some way to signify that they are not original. Same thing for reprinted label or cover art.

Because of the people out there that are making counterfeits, as opposed to repros, you should also be opening up every game you get, but that is just to combat a problem, it doesn't make that problem okay.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
"You gotta fake it until you make it" were the words used. Pretty gross.

Teknoman

Anth0ny

I usually play through a Resident Evil or Castlevania every October

but I'm thinking it might be time to really dive into Bloodborne this October. kinda fits the theme.

BTails

Going to be time to clear out those horror/esoteric/creepy/etc. themed games soon.

GAF Plays...31 Nights of Horror...3

Although its a great way to sit down and clear out retro backlogged games, there is also current gen stuff like Until Dawn, Bloodborne, and so forth to get into.

I was just going to PM you next week to see if you were going to run this thread again! I'll definitely be participating, looking to run Rondo of Blood, Clock Tower (SFC), and Splatterhouse 1/2/3... Maybe start the new Vita Corpse Party as well. And of course, like last year I'll be pairing each game with a Pumpkin beer :)

IrishNinja

Going to be time to clear out those horror/esoteric/creepy/etc. themed games soon.

GAF Plays...31 Nights of Horror...3

you know im down! already planning a few titles for this halloween, myself:

Uninvited
Sacred Line
REmake
Alien Isolation
Costume Quest (need to finish it!)

Teknoman

Nice, I was saving Splatterhouse 3 for this, which was a recent flea market pick-up.

I usually play through a Resident Evil or Castlevania every October

but I'm thinking it might be time to really dive into Bloodborne this October. kinda fits the theme.

I was just going to PM you next week to see if you were going to run this thread again! I'll definitely be participating, looking to run Rondo of Blood, Clock Tower (SFC), and Splatterhouse 1/2/3... Maybe start the new Vita Corpse Party as well. And of course, like last year I'll be pairing each game with a Pumpkin beer :)

you know im down! already planning a few titles for this halloween, myself:

Uninvited
Sacred Line
REmake
Alien Isolation
Costume Quest (need to finish it!)

Where is said thread? Also we should have one for retro titles.

I still need to pick up the Splatterhouse games.

The thread wont go up until October the 1st (or at least late September 29th), but if someone wants to make a banner for part 3, that would be great. Each year (heh only been two) someone different makes the banner. Doesn't have to be a work of art, as long as it evokes the feel of the thread. As far as retro only, it'll probably be mainly people playing classic games since there are really more horror titles from past generations... so we'll have everything centered in the one.

Not sure what the others looked like, but here is my attempt.

kc6T5JA.png

I have been playing chrono trigger for the first time recently and I have heard there are a lot of different endings. I only want to play through the game once. Is there anything i should know, sans spoilers, so I don't get a 'bad' ending

There's 13 endings in the game iirc. The most difficult ending is to beat
Lavos
in the beginning. Honestly, if you want to avoid the bad ending, don't die at the final boss. I had to look at a guide to get the ending that I wanted. I played the DS version so I'm not sure if anything is different from the SNES game. Ending wise.

Teknoman

So should we play horror or terror games?

They were so terrifying that now we remember the horror of facing them.

I'm thinking about rolling with:
Monster Party
Splatterhouse 3
Dracula XX
Gargoyle's Quest series (to see I can tackle the trilogy, since I know I wont be able to stick with any normal G&G long enough this time heh)
Maybe D...maybe.

For longer games, I think I might either restart Sweet Home, continue with Fatal Frame 1 (still haven't finished it), start up Silent Hill 1, Extermination, or X-files.

Anyone planning on doing any streams? I know I'm gonna get my capture equipment by then, and if I can figure everything out, I might record and post stuff...but no streaming since my hours will probably be funny. Of course for anyone doing streaming, I can post links in the OP once its up. Or just all around recommended youtube channels, etc.

BTails

Anyone planning on doing any streams? I know I'm gonna get my capture equipment by then, and if I can figure everything out, I might record and post stuff...but no streaming since my hours will probably be funny. Of course for anyone doing streaming, I can post links in the OP once its up. Or just all around recommended youtube channels, etc.

I can stream anything I play on PS4 or Xbone... I may tackle REmake for the first time since it released on Gamecube, or possibly SOMA, though I'm not sure people would want to watch that (spoilers and all). Just beat Alien Isolation, so that's a no go.

Teknoman

I can stream anything I play on PS4 or Xbone... I may tackle REmake for the first time since it released on Gamecube, or possibly SOMA, though I'm not sure people would want to watch that (spoilers and all). Just beat Alien Isolation, so that's a no go.

Anytime is a good time for REmake. I've heard a lot about SOMA, but some people cant take Amnesia devs brand of scary (all those freak out posts heh), so that actually might be a good idea to stream. Fresh for you and everyone else that either doesn't have a good PC or would rather watch the game than play it.

EDIT: Test footage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-99681YRfI

Sucks that the elgato game capture hd cant output 60 fps when set to 1080p, but the majority of stuff i'll probably record wont be 1080p anyway...unless its on WiiU, PS3, or 360 (stuff that doesn't already have a share/record/etc feature). Ended up going with it instead of the startech or micomsoft stuff since I got a refurb one for a decent price. Don't have it set to absolute best settings, so just want to see if theres any strange artifacting or blurriness in general after putting it through Windows Movie Maker then uploading.

IrishNinja

damn....D is an excellent pick, too! might switch something out for that one
also -

me: "im trying to tie up Bloodborne in time to start my october horror game month."
my boy "...so you're wanting to finish a scary game to play scary games, then?"

Mzo

If they're all full collections, there must be a ridiculous number of bad games in that room.

I wonder if they're the majority.

I'd prefer to see something like a carefully pruned bonsai instead of a full dump.

entremet

If they're all full collections, there must be a ridiculous number of bad games in that room.

I'd prefer to see something like a carefully pruned bonsai instead of a full dump.

Same. I never understood complete collection goals.

Peltz

Is it bad that I just really want to play both Luigi's Mansion games in October? That's about as close as I get to the horror genre other than the Souls games and Castlevania.

Resident Evil, Splatterhouse, and Silent Hills never really grabbed me.

Mzo

My friends and I are focusing on horror games for October on our podcast.

I'm currently playing through Corpse Party and will follow it with the first Fatal Frame on the PS2 and Clock Tower on the Sufami.

VVV Mars VG

Yeah I agree, I've never been one for buying crap just to complete a collection, but then I play my games where as some people just collect for the sake of having.

Anth0ny

Holy shit. What a glorious game room.

But I agree with others here that complete collections seems like a waste of space and money. Still, impressive as hell.

that dude has a bunch of lambos

when you're that loaded (dude has to be worth 10s of millions), yolo. I'd go for complete collections at that point too :p

Mzo

that dude has a bunch of lambos

when you're that loaded (dude has to be worth 10s of millions), yolo. I'd go for complete collections at that point too :p

I wouldn't. I'd still only buy the good stuff.

I'd be manufacturing some sick ass modern CRTs for sale and use, though.

Is it bad that I just really want to play both Luigi's Mansion games in October? That's about as close as I get to the horror genre other than the Souls games and Castlevania.

Resident Evil, Splatterhouse, and Silent Hills never really grabbed me.

Ah that's a really good idea; I've been looking for an excuse to give Luigi's Mansion 2 another shot. It's so cute!

Top Bottom