• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays...31 Nights of Horror...2

Teknoman

iowqD90cJBbWs.png

Assuming a new form and crawling back from the depths, it wises fwom its gwave, summoned by humans who wish to pay the horror genre and related games tribute, its the second annual GAF plays 31 nights of horror thread!

October is usually the month where all things horror, creepy, or just all around halloween themed are focused on, from movies to books, so why not games? Now is the time to give those horror tinged games that have been silently rotting away in your backlog a shot, recommend others, revisit ancient ones, or spend some time focused on that new game you just picked up.

Although it isnt set in stone, the main challenge of this thread is to play through as many games that fit the theme as possible before the month ends. As you go, posting experiences, thoughts, images, etc. are definitely encouraged.

The games i'm planning on going with so far are:

Shpic.gif

Sweet Home

An NES RPG that i've never played before, and I figure this would be the perfect time to try it out.

Fatal_Frame_III_camera_gameplay.jpg

Fatal Frame

This one has been haunting my backlog for awhile now. I always start it up, and then end up getting sidetracked by other things...and forget what i'm doing. I'm going to see it through...hopefully lol.

genesis_splatterhouse2_front.png

Splatterhouse 2

I picked this up about a month ago, mostly likely short but with some challenging and nasty battles.

Dracula_x_(j)_front.jpg

Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

It's Rondo of Blood.

With The Evil Within releasing later this month, if its as good as it has the potential to be, that will probably be something i'll try to get into as well.

Visions of fear:

Here's the link to Dan's stream: http://www.twitch.tv/dansgaming
Dan's horror month schedule: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...4Vkg1RVdCZTZyU09takE&hl=en&toomany=true#gid=0

He'll be playing horror themed games (sometimes he plays past recordings) nonstop for the whole month.

It's starting right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/ramoisdead/profile

*Special thanks to Rösti for the thread banner and IrishNinja for getting the ball rolling on the first thread last year.*

I'm gonna attempt to finish ZombiU this month. I'll be watching dans horror month stream quite a bit as well.

Might pick up Alien Isolation depending on how well it's received.

Teknoman

I'm gonna attempt to finish ZombiU this month. I'll be watching dans horror month stream quite a bit as well.

Might pick up Alien Isolation depending on how well it's received.

Mind posting a link to it when it starts?

EDIT: Actually any gaffers streaming anything related, links are welcome. Also screenshots or phone snaps, whatever. Spoiler things when absolutely necessary for surprises.

Well I like the sound of this, so count me in! I just need to figure out what to play... Plus, I'll probably be streaming on Twitch as well, so suggestions are more than welcome.

Maybe I could finally get around to Dead Space...

-MD-

Finishing up RE4 (PC) right now while I wait for the 2 main games I'm playing in October.

Alien: Isolation (PC) on the 7th.
header.jpg

The Evil Within (PC) on the 14th.
header.jpg

Mind posting a link to it when it starts?

EDIT: Actually any gaffers streaming anything related, links are welcome. Also screenshots or phone snaps, whatever. Spoiler things when absolutely necessary for surprises.

Here's the link to Dan's stream: http://www.twitch.tv/dansgaming
Dan's horror month schedule: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...4Vkg1RVdCZTZyU09takE&hl=en&toomany=true#gid=0

He'll be playing horror themed games (sometimes he plays past recordings) nonstop for the whole month.

It's starting right now.

Will GLADLY participate (^___^)

Already doing 31 Days of Horror for the 4th year in a row anyway (yeah i'm a masochist like that!)

Anyway, can't afford any new games this month (IE: no Evil Within), so instead i'm gonna replay stuff as well as work on my backlog. Here's what I had in mind thus far:

Resident-Evil-4-HD-Ultimate-Edition.jpg

Not the actual Ultimate PC Edition though, just the PS3 version. I've only played this once before, which was the original Gamecube version.

48930-resident-evil.jpg

Yup, going back to the very original as well. Not bullshit Director's Cut shite.

header.jpg

Ultimate Halloween simulator and I've actually never finished it. Will check out CQ2 if it indeed drops this month on console

536eda56561ab.gif

Finally legitimately beat Ghouls N' Ghosts a couple years back. Am now going to try Super via the Capcom Classic Collection on PS2. Great version as it removed all the slowdown originally found the SNES one.

14052369208_36d7be225d_b.jpg

If I can get to it, will finally give this series the proper love it deserves. Believe or not, I've actually already purchase the PC version of Metro2033, as well as the PS3 version of Metro Last Light.... but never got around to playing them

I'll post more if I get to it, but these are the primary games for now :)

I'm doing a small horror month with the GF.

Plan to do:

- Alan Wake
- Outlast
- The Evil Within
- Dead Space
- Arkham Asylum
- Silent Hill 3

I wish I had the time to do something cool like this. It's not so much the time spent playing but the time spent planning and securing titles makes it just undoable. Have fun though, guys! Sounds like a blast!

Teknoman

Well you could always replay some favorites.

At any rate, I think Deadly Premonition counts and also there is that new PC indie title that just released that I cant think of the name immediately. The black and white one.

Gonna start and stream Corpse Party: Book of Shadows. I'm up to Chapter 3 and I would love to finish the game this month so I can finally read the previews for Blood Drive.

After that, I have some other horror games I can catch up on.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Costume Quest
REmake
Silent Hill 2
ZombiU
Resident Evil: Nemesis
Resident Evil 0 (maybe)
The Evil Within
Dead Space

I'll be watching a horror movie each night and watching horror themed 'let's plays' on youtube.

F**k yea October!!

hwy_61

Banned
I don't want to advertise here, but October is probably the best month for Giant Bomb videos. Its all because of Patrick Klepek and his Spookin With Scoops feature. You get to watch him get scared shitless. It's pretty great.

BTails

I've been waiting for this thread Tekno! I just started gridning on my Assassin' Creed backlog, so I'll have a slow start to the month, but here's what I'm planning:

Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (Xbox)
The Evil Within (PS4)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Friday the 13th (NES) - I love this game

I might try to throw in some others too. I'll try to post impressions, as well as Pumpkin Beer pairings!

tav7623

I plan on playing (and hopefully beating) the following games

Fatal Frame 2:Crimson Butterfly (PSN/PS3) - FINISHED 10/5/14
Outlast (PC) - started playing this back in August, but decided to hold off until this month to play any further
The Evil Within (PS3) - FINISHED 10/17/14
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (PSN/PS3) - I played this game in the past, but never beaten it.....this year I plan to change that
Infamous: Festival of Blood (PSN/PS3) - FINISHED 10/11/14
REmake (Wii) - I've previously beaten the GameCube version of this game, but due to a recent LTTP thread I decided to revisit this game for the first time in 5 - 6 years
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PS3) - FINISHED 10/20/14

If I can beat these seven games I'll move on to one of the following games: The Suffering (PS2), Onimusha Warlords (PS2), Lollipop Chainsaw (PS3), Zombi U (Wii U), Evil Dead Hail to the King (PS1), Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC), and/or Dead Space 3 (PS3)

Definitely:

oct_01_zps66d262ba.png
oct_02_zps8a18f712.png
oct_03_zps9f7b220b.png

Maybe:

oct_04_zps4bf23c4b.png
oct_05_zps7d22688a.png
oct_06_zps9b4262e7.png

Played Fatal Frame 1 and 2 last October, going to do 3 and 4 this year. Going to start on Fatal Frame 3 tonight.

I'll also do at least one of the games from the "Maybe" list, which ones and how many will depend on time and what my mood is. Also, depends heavily on how Alien Isolation turns out.

IrishNinja

sub'd, much love to teknos

gonna see if i can save up for Evi Within, not sure what other game this year - again, Sweet Home + Corpse Party was an amazing combo for me last year, gonna be heard to top. I was wanting to finally finish REmake but now that's being redone again, of course.

I haven't thought too much about this yet,

but here are a couple to get me started:

Outlast (PC)
outlast-02.jpg

Beetlejuice (NES)
2361167-nes_beetlejuice.jpg

Monster Party (NES)
Monster_Party_Box.JPG

I'm looking to beat Beetlejuice, no matter how shitty it might be.

Ever since P.T. I've been in a Silent Hill mood. Just finished a ten-star rank play through in Silent Hill 3 HD, then on PS2 two days later. Now I'm playing SH4 on PS3 via PSclassics, but I'm not sure if I want to ten-star it.

I really should get back into Fatal Frame.

CJCW

I just finished Corpse Party, like, two weeks ago, so that's out. I might finish up my playthrough of Silent Hill 2 (my first time with it in more than a decade), finish Alan Wake (I think I'm near the end), and maybe start up Fatal Frame 2 or Dino Crisis. Oh, and I'll play Evil Within on Xbone for sure.

I think I need more Horror games.

Zolbrod

Playing Fatal Frame V on my Wii U.
Loving it, but I've always been a fan of the series.
This one's kicking my ass though.

zlCfzSfmFPsunucOtu

Will probably move to The Evil Within, then Bayonetta 2 (she's a witch so it counts!) once I'm done.

I just got RE4 so that's number one on my list. Never played it before.

Next up is to push through Metro (PS4)

Then I'll just follow through with Alien and The Evil Within. Should be a fun month

sp3ctr3

Not oparticularly scary, but still a damn fine game all the same:

1440296046.jpg

RIP Harold Ramis :(

^this for Wii is also on my to-play list this year.

I will also play Zombies Ate My Neighbours, like I do every year, and then I hope to squeeze in some Left 4 Dead sessions.

zerotol

Banned
I bought Outlast yesterday and so far it's pretty good. Some parts remind me of Manhunt which is great because I loved that game and haven't played it in years.

I'm considering The Evil Within for sure.

Wishing I still owned Eternal Darkness.

Anyone know any games with special Halloween events on October 31st like PSO?
I'll wager that The Secret World will have a Halloween event which is always amazing and fun. If they go all out expect a few story/investigation missions or something. I haven't heard for sure though.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Forgot this started today, will make up for it tomorrow.

I have (unfinished)

Dead Space 2
Lone Survivor
Aliens: Colonial Marines

Might have something else here (90% of my collection is overseas)

Am seriously considering Alien but comes out same week as DriveClub and the DC Steelbook Edition is only available for preorder. I can't afford both games this month. :^/

Astral

I just ragequit Resident Evil 2. I ran into that puzzle room with the first licker immune to acid rounds. I don't remember what to do there and I can't do it with that fucker chasing me around. I probably should've just switched to the bowgun but fuck it. You win RE2. I'll play you again later.

There's a handful of games I'd like to play for this however my definite picks are:

Evil Within
System Shock 2
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

I'll have to try and pickup some more stuff to play.

Bulk_Rate

Finished RDR: Undead Nightmare last night. Was much longer than I expected! Good stuffl.

On to Dead Space 2 (just started)
Also on deck for Oct:

5NAF
Finish Outlast (about halfway done now I believe)

That's probably all that my schedule will allow, but if time permits will add RE2; downloaded the PSN version.

Teknoman

I have to figure out what to start with after a long day... I guess either Splatterhouse 2 or Rondo. I want to have a good chunk of time to dedicated to Sweet home and Fatal Frame.

Top Bottom