• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays...31 Nights of Horror...2

Miguel81

Party!!!

Kicking off the month by watching Halloween Blu Ray.

Games list:
Alien Isolation - This won't be played until I grab Alien and Aliens on Blu Ray to watch prior.
The Evil Within - Is already making my 7950 anxious, along with it's owner.
Outcast Whistleblower - Played the og a few months back and really enjoyed it. Heavy on the gore too. It's the Friday the 13th to Amnesia TTD's Halloween.
D/D2/Enemy Zero - All but D2 are fairly short, but I really loved Kenji Eno's(RIP) work and his passion for setting up the proper atmosphere was second-to-none.
Overblood - Play this one every year as it has become my guilty pleasure horror game. The mystery/horror angle + Pipo give it it's charm. Must overlook the jank to enjoy!

*The Vanishing of Ethan Carter fits the Autumn/Halloween season like a glove, and Dr Dogg's great shots in the SteamGAF thread are making want to play through it.

BTails

Outcast Whistleblower - Played the og a few months back and really enjoyed it. Heavy on the gore too. It's the Friday the 13th to Amnesia TTD's Halloween.
D/D2/Enemy Zero - All but D2 are fairly short, but I really loved Kenji Eno's(RIP) work and his passion for setting up the proper atmosphere was second-to-none.

Outlast Whistleblower is even better than the original game, in my opinion. In terms of pure visceral horror, you're in for a treat!

Also, I've been meaning to get D2 and Enemy Zero for my Saturn... Unfortunately I haven't found them (CIB) cheap enough yet, as I hear they're both very short. One of these days I'll grab them though.

I'm ready to go after dinner, I'll post my "Night 1" thread a bit later. Happy Halloween Gaming everyone!

Already updating list :)

Removing Resident Evil 4. I.... I just don't really want to play it :/

Instead:

Deadrising_boxart.jpg
The_Evil_Within_boxart.jpg

Worked on Costume Quest tonight and am currently up to the mall. Surprises me how much of a challenge the game can be at times. Also, it's pretty awesome how much humor you can still get across with merely text bubbles and timing. Bravo Double Fine <3

BTails

NIGHT 1...

So tonight, I'm starting light, with Friday the 13th for NES, paired with Pumpkin Pie Spiced Ale by Alley Kay out of Edmonton, AB:

So far, off to a bad start: look at that awful sticker on the cart. I'd grab the Goo-Gone, but I've already poured my beer. Oh well, let's march on.

Some Background...
Wikipedia tells me the game was almost universally derided upon release in February 1989. Not to mention it was published by LJN, who are universally known as one of the worst publishers for the NES.

Well, I like it! I played it a lot when growing up, and the mechanics of the game are a bit deeper than you'd expect at first glance. Also, the internet tells me that it was developed by Atlus (Yes, THAT Atlus). I'm surprised that carts aren't more expensive on eBay because of the "Atlus-Tax", but I guess this one flies under the radar.

But enough, let's START.

P6bCWwV.jpg

First things first: The music sucks. It loops after about 6 seconds, and those seconds aren't anything special. Skip to 0:40 to see what I mean...

You control six camp councillors as they make their way around Camp Crystal Lake, defeating zombies (???), evil crows, and collecting keys, medicine, and better weapons. Every once and a while, an alarm goes off, meaning Jason is attacking either another councillor, or kids. You have a timer to reach Jason (Shown on the pause menu map) by either getting to his location, or switching to the character he's attacking.

When inside buildings (And fighting Jason), the game switches to a behind the back view. You can move left and right, dodge by leaning back and left and right (Crucial to avoid Jason's fists/machete/axe), and of course throw your weapon.

I couldn't not have a picture of Jason for this thread, so I grabbed my phone. But unfortunately every time I pause, I see the map of the camp. Oh well, how hard can it be to quickly snap one?

KmSNVcT.jpg

Poor Debbie was brutally murdered seconds after this photo was taken... After a brief lifting of my pint of Pumpkin Beer in her memory, it's time to truck onwards with my other 5 councillors.

You can get better and better items by exploring the deep woods, or caves around the camp. Also in the caves is the floating severed head of Jason's mother, who you can defeat for bonus items, such as a better weapon on Day 1, or Jason's mother's sweater on Day 2, which halfs your damage taken.

...Oh yeah, did I mention you have to kill Jason 3 times to win? Yeah, this game takes a while to beat...

At this point in my game, Jason is almost dead the first time. I better enter the caves and get my prize for defeating Jason's mother...

Too bad a few moments after taking this picture, Mark: the fastest, highest jumping, and coolest Camp Councillor, fell down a pit to his instant and permanent demise.

That pretty much ended my run for this night. All and all, it's a fun little game that was/is unjustly shat upon by everyone. It also makes a great companion for the Nightmare on Elm Street game, published by LJN and developed by Rare (Yes, THAT Rare), which in my opinion is even better.

RIP Debbie and Mark.

Ironmask

Never played an horror game in my life, not even something cheap like the first Resident Evil beccause i scaryjump at the slightest creepy thing.

Anyone can reccomend a pussy level videogame to start? I can access any console if that helps

Yager

Banned
Never played an horror game in my life, not even something cheap like the first Resident Evil beccause i scaryjump at the slightest creepy thing.

Anyone can reccomend a pussy level videogame to start? I can access any console if that helps

Amnesia.

junglist

the Horror line up for this month

images

Condemned.jpg

Systemshock2box.jpg

Obviously the Evil within...

I am still not sure about Alien Isolation. I love the idea of the game. But as a fan I have been let down way too many times for the series. I'm just going to wait this one out.

Endesu

Pretty much play horror games all year but I guess this month would be great for clearing out some of the backlog...

Recently finished this after owning it since launch. Not quite up to the Saturn original but still has a fair amount of surreal horror to offer, and was unfairly panned at launch due to its rogue-like tendencies.

Here are my unplayed & unfinished horror games. I will be playing all or most of these for at least an hour or so each. I would like to finish Splatterhouse and Dead Space 2 because I am pretty far into both of those. I'll also sneek in some L4D 1&2.

DF8D777C-C61C-433E-893B-9DE25EDEB7A6.jpg

Teknoman

Would be a nice way to face his fears :p

Well not every horror /creepy game is a survival horror game intended to make you jump. Character action games like DMC series, Castlevania, and so on.

I suppose if you wnat to go the survival route, you can roll with Carrier, Extermination, Deadly Premonition, The Thing, or Cold Fear. I will say that actually being scared or creepy out by surroundings make survival horror games that much more fun. Really absorbs you into the game.

*disclaimer* I dont know much about Cold Fear aside from grabbing it for cheap on PC at a thrift store, so it may have jump moments.

This thread has both reminded me of how many creepy/scary games I've accumulated without playing, and motivated me to jump in to some.

I should probably start with Dead Space (yeah, the first one).

inm8num2

Just want to toss in two recommendations for classic horror-themed games:

Sanitarium (third person point and click) - GOG

Realms of the Haunting (first-person action/adventure) - GOG, Steam

Teknoman

Decided to start with Splatterhouse 2 for now.

So far I really like the music more than the first game (for stages anyway) since it reminds me more of cheesy early 90s / late 80s horror movies...which its pretty much based off anyway.

ijNDxc7cHVz8d.jpg

The difficulty doesnt really seem to be up there with the first game, but im not sure how many stages it has, so my opinion may change.

i4QIAxxSG70Fw.jpg

I will say the enemies are pretty damn nasty, and some of the environments dont make sense (in a good way). Not sure how I went from a modern poltergiest controlled elevator / tunnel section to a swamp though lol.

BTails

That looks awesome Teknko. Does it have any boss fights as awesome as the "haunted room" from number 1?

I really want to grab the Splatterhouse games, but they seem to have shot up in price. Also, I always want the case for Genesis (manual is a bonus, but not needed for my OCD, haha).

Ferrio

Banned
Make sure you catch DansGaming playing Harvester and both Phantasmagorias.

edit: Also whatever he's playing right now looks horrible.

Teknoman

That looks awesome Teknko. Does it have any boss fights as awesome as the "haunted room" from number 1?

I really want to grab the Splatterhouse games, but they seem to have shot up in price. Also, I always want the case for Genesis (manual is a bonus, but not needed for my OCD, haha).

Sorta but its more focused on what is controlling it this time rather than the room itself.

iYkMDZkHW2L5e.jpg

ib2nEDtDXyVPa6.jpg

Gonna take a break since I think I got to what was the last boss, but its at the end of one of those "halls of doom" style levels. I'll make some progress in Fatal Frame.

Chabbles

I downloaded Resi 2 and Siren 1 off psn and played a couple hours of each.. But im in the middle of a playthrough of Metro 2033 Redux, and then Aliens Isolation next week. So they'll have to wait until after The Evil Within..

Miguel81

Fatal Frame 1 is the real deal...good lord.

Wait till you get to the sequel(or have you played it?). The first is good, but Crimson Butterfly is on a whole other level...imo.

Edit:
2ftbYzO.jpg

So I just played some D tonight on ePSXe because I prefer my DS4 to wired DS2. It seemed like a perfect time because I received my new headphones today, and I remember this being a game that scared the bejeezus out of me as a teen back in '97-98.
It still has a great effect on me due to the ambience, perfect music composition to go along with tense moments, and the "jump scares" are so effective. The visual quality is much poorer, of course, than what I had remembered from way back when.
There are some puzzles(it IS a puzzle game), and it's a good thing that enough time has passed for me to have completely forgotten about them.

I'll be playing through some more tomorrow since the save states come in handy. It's still a rec for those out there that don't mind slow-moving games. There are versions for the 3DO/Sega Saturn/PSOne/PC -- PC version is intriguing, but it might be a hassle to get working and the FMV quality might be poor. Oh, and it was also known as D's Diner at one point or other. Here is a sample from youtube.

i'll be playing REmake on the wii for the first time

i wish i could pick up the evil within (i've looked forward to that game since i saw the first gameplay demo) but im pinching pennies for a ps4, im a little more than halfway there though

Started Fatal Frame III over the past two nights. I'm on Hour IV at the moment.

Interesting game so far. It feels a lot like Fatal Frame 1, except split up into "chunks" of horror gameplay separated by "breather" segments, at least here in the early going.

Also, it's notably a lot more cinematic and presentation-heavy than 1 and 2. Consequently, the story seems less abstract and I don't feel like it has lost me...yet.

Teknoman

Wait till you get to the sequel(or have you played it?). The first is good, but Crimson Butterfly is on a whole other level...imo.

Edit:
2ftbYzO.jpg

So I just played some D tonight on ePSXe because I prefer my DS4 to wired DS2. It seemed like a perfect time because I received my new headphones today, and I remember this being a game that scared the bejeezus out of me as a teen back in '97-98.
It still has a great effect on me due to the ambience, perfect music composition to go along with tense moments, and the "jump scares" are so effective. The visual quality is much poorer, of course, than what I had remembered from way back when.
There are some puzzles(it IS a puzzle game), and it's a good thing that enough time has passed for me to have completely forgotten about them.

I'll be playing through some more tomorrow since the save states come in handy. It's still a rec for those out there that don't mind slow-moving games. There are versions for the 3DO/Sega Saturn/PSOne/PC -- PC version is intriguing, but it might be a hassle to get working and the FMV quality might be poor. Oh, and it was also known as D's Diner at one point or other. Here is a sample from youtube.

I have all 3 PS2 releases, and this is the first time i've really sat down with one of them. Havent played 2 or 3 yet.

Miguel81

I have all 3 PS2 releases, and this is the first time i've really sat down with one of them. Havent played 2 or 3 yet.

Hah, I envy you man. Crimson Butterfly is one atmospherically beautiful, disturbing ride of a game. Too bad that it isn't until part 3 that they allowed proper(Left Stick move, Right Stick Aim) control.

I'd been thinking about doing something like this for a while, I didn't know it was an event-type deal people did on here.
I was thinking of:

Outlast
Alien
Silent Hill 2
Fatal Frame 2 Director's Cut

And then go from there if I finish those. I have Silent Hill 3 and 4, Fatal Frame 1, Amnesia, and Dead Space 2 to go back to if I exhaust the first list, so we'll see.

BumRush

Umm, was the PT demo thing supposed to be THAT'S creepy? With headphones on my heart was beating irregularly

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Umm, was the PT demo thing supposed to be THAT'S creepy? With headphones on my heart was beating irregularly
Kojima said, through a translator, that he originally wanted to design the new Silent Hill game--which he is calling Silent Hills--so that it would make you "pee your pants." But after speaking more with del Toro, the pair decided to ramp up the scare-intensity. Now, the studio says you should have an extra pair of pants at the ready when you play the game because, "We are aiming for a game that will make you sh*t your pants."
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-silent-hill-so-scary-youll-sh-t-your-pants-koj/1100-6421718/

Miguel81

D2. This one was released exclusively for the Dreamcast and is unrelated to the original besides the protagonist being a young blonde woman name Laura(not Harris in this one). It has some serious "The Thing" vibes(both the 1950s film and John Carpenter versions). The game is split up between frozen tundra exploration and interiors(FP view w/ limited movement like the original). The battles take place in a stationary(besides L/R triggers turning) FP view and there is leveling progression. They are random and can get quite repetitive. Hunting is available to you on the side to get meat to replenish your health -- sniper rifle for rabbits and various other animals as you progress.

Again, the music is fantastic just like the original. The story is intriguing and gets pretty Warped(hehe) especially near the end. If you're a lover of isolation, creepy frigid environments puzzle-solving, item collecting, and sometimes crazy storytelling then give this one a chance. I've tried this on nullDC, but there are some issues here and there so I'll stick to playing on DC.

Gameboy415

I'd love to play numerous horror games this month but between work, working on my game, and watching daily horror movies for '31 Days of Horror' I don't really have enough time. :(

That said, I'm picking up Alien: Isolation on PS4 this Tuesday and possibly The Evil Within the following week (depending on how long it takes me to finish up Alien).
I'm hoping to play through Five Nights at Freddy's some time this month too, especially considering the fact that I've had a mild fear of animatronic/mascot characters ever since I was a kid, haha.

Teknoman

Rösti;132893501 said:

There is no way you WONT jump from her attack.

Streaming Book of Shadows. Twitch name is the same as my GAF.

Here? http://www.twitch.tv/ramoisdead/profile

D2. This one was released exclusively for the Dreamcast and is unrelated to the original besides the protagonist being a young blonde woman name Laura(not Harris in this one). It has some serious "The Thing" vibes(both the 1950s film and John Carpenter versions). The game is split up between frozen tundra exploration and interiors(FP view w/ limited movement like the original). The battles take place in a stationary(besides L/R triggers turning) FP view and there is leveling progression. They are random and can get quite repetitive. Hunting is available to you on the side to get meat to replenish your health -- sniper rifle for rabbits and various other animals as you progress.

Again, the music is fantastic just like the original. The story is intriguing and gets pretty Warped(hehe) especially near the end. If you're a lover of isolation, creepy frigid environments puzzle-solving, item collecting, and sometimes crazy storytelling then give this one a chance. I've tried this on nullDC, but there are some issues here and there so I'll stick to playing on DC.

I need to play D2 at some point.

I'd love to play numerous horror games this month but between work, working on my game, and watching daily horror movies for '31 Days of Horror' I don't really have enough time. :(

That said, I'm picking up Alien: Isolation on PS4 this Tuesday and possibly The Evil Within the following week (depending on how long it takes me to finish up Alien).
I'm hoping to play through Five Nights at Freddy's some time this month too, especially considering the fact that I've had a mild fear of animatronic/mascot characters ever since I was a kid, haha.

What kind of game are you making?

CJCW

Just finished playing Silent Hill 2 for a couple hours, getting done with the hospital section. I guess I forgot that the nurses can do a lot of damage to you in very little time. One of the best things about my playthrough is that, since it's been so long since I last played it, I've forgotten almost everything that happens in the game, and it all feels new to me.

Mask

I've been playing a lot of Five Night's at Freddy's lately, and it's kinda become my new favorite game to play when I've got nothing else to do.
Simple gameplay, but there's something about it that keeps me coming back. Plus, animatronics scare the shit out of me, even though I live in the UK and have never seen a ChuckECheese.

My go-to games every halloween are Splatterhouse 2 and 3. Almost every halloween, I set up the megadrive and play both to completion.
I've played SH2 so many times now that I can complete the whole thing in one life if I concentrate, but it's still fun, even if the game is heavily pattern based.

PT was a fun experience with headphones on, and the lights off. Nothing like nearly having a heart-attack at 2am!

Next up on my list of Horror games is Alien Isolation, then I'll probably play through the Silent Hill series on PCSX2, then maybe play SCP:Containment Breach some more.

I finished off Dead Space 2 and tried to play Splaterhouse 2010 on 360. That game has some fun things going for it, but maaaan is it unpolished. I'm going to play Dead Island: Riptide instead.

tav7623

I just finished the first game on my list, Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (which I was playing for the very first time) and thought while I'm at it I might as well post my playthrough stats.

Days played: 5
Hours played : 11
Average Playtime: approx 2 hrs a day
Difficulty: Normal
Ending: Normal/
"Crimson Butterfly"
Ranking: E

P.S. I've also updated my OP to reflect this

ugh.... I've restarted Dead Rising waaaay too many times due to not paying attention to the timer.
Well.... at least i'm Lv.40 now.

Outlast is somehow managing to be predictable and creepy at the same time. And more than a little aggravating.

Sneak past guy
do thing
hide in locker
get chased
hide in locker
etc

I'm still enjoying it though.

hiex_

Banned
I've been playing through Outlast in preparation for Alien: Isolation, since I'm a huge baby. I'll be going through The Evil Within when that comes out, and I also want to go back to Silent Hill 2 again sometime.

BTails

I just finished the first game on my list, Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (which I was playing for the very first time) and thought while I'm at it I might as well post my playthrough stats.

Days played: 5
Hours played : 11
Average Playtime: approx 2 hrs a day
Difficulty: Normal
Ending: Normal/
"Crimson Butterfly"
Ranking: E

P.S. I've also updated my OP to reflect this

Good to know I can breeze through this before Evil Within comes out. I'm trying my hardest to finish Assassin's Creed Revelations, which I stupidly started RIGHT before October. I'm about 75% through it when I stopped today, which means I should hopefully get back to GAF plays Horror REAL soon.

Teknoman

If any of you is curious about what the flippin' heck is Sweet Home and why it is a tragedy that it was never localized outside of Japan needs to see this great, and spoiler free, entertaining, (and like every other HVGN video also very informative) review.

PART 1:
http://youtu.be/fw06V-fcjfA

PART 2:
http://youtu.be/CNz93wC7W68

Yeah HVGN is awesome. I think im gonna break into Sweet Home on Wednesday, and continue my exploration of the Himuro Mansion.

Hyunkel6

I will attempt to get past that first corridor in P.T. and finish it.

Honestly, I shut off the game before reaching the end of that corridor. Something is extremely unnerving with this game.

Top Bottom