• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Was thinking about picking up a few of the collections that came out in the sixth gen, but wonder which version to get. For instance, Capcom Arcade Classic 1&2 exist on both Xbox and PS2, any differences between these? Also, is this a case of Pal-owners getting screwed with 50hz versions, or can I pick up the Pal-versions?

Peltz

I played a Japanese Strider 2 arcade cabinet for the first time last night. Holy shit that game is great.

It just feels so good to play and I actually dig the 2D/3D blend of the graphics. Was it ever given a good port to a console?

If not, I'm going to grab a shitload of quarters and head back there for a proper play through. I really would like to experience an English port if possible, but if not, I've got my Wednesday night planned for this week.

The arcade hardware for that game is very similar to the PS1.

I have the PS1 version and it's totally solid. They even let you do a bunch of "cheat code" stuff in the menu. It's on PSN, complete with authentic backwards discs.

Peltz

Sorry Sixteen...looks like my playthrough of Strider 2 is getting pushed back by a few days. I hope to plan this weekend because I'm pretty much dreaming about that game.

In other developments, I just picked up Gunstar Heroes for Genesis! It's my first time experiencing this game on the original hardware. I grabbed it on eBay for $48 with box but no manual. Multiplayer on expert in this one is way harder and more fun than single player. I Think this game is meant to be chaotic like that.

Playing it is really making me crave Alien Soldier as well. I think I'm going to go with a reproduction (don't judge me too hard, GAF).

IrishNinja

damn, enjoy it man! Gunstar really shot up, shame since i wanted to replace the label on that one...mabye ill luck out at a garage sale one day

I kinda wish the M2 improvements in the 3D Classic got backported the the Genesis game somehow, lol.
Fixed / Free toggle is a gamechanger.

Also, try the GBA sequel if you have the chance. It's got that Earthworm Jim 2 syndrome where every level gotta have a new gimmick, but IMO GSH rocks.

RAIDEN1

How could strafefox miss out Streetfighter 2? The single biggest game changer when it came to one-on-one beat-em-ups?

D.Lo

WTF? $5 brand new non-gratest hits Chrono Cross?

I just had a look and it sells for $100 on ebay.

No postage to Australia, if only I lived in Geenland or Chile or Peru...

Why don't these companies re-release these games for the retro market? Small runs of certain games would make them a nice bunch of free cash.

StevieWhite

So I think I am treating myself to a 3DO for Christmas. Pretty pumped. It's a system I've barely touched. Any titles I should be on the lookout for?

So I think I am treating myself to a 3DO for Christmas. Pretty pumped. It's a system I've barely touched. Any titles I should be on the lookout for?

Star Control 2, Return Fire, and The Incredible Machine are fun

WTF? $5 brand new non-gratest hits Chrono Cross?

Supposedly the S-E store Chrono Cross is a late-print Greatest Hits with a silver bottomed disc (as opposed to e typical black bottomed disk like most PS1 games)
http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/releasedgames/psx_chrono/

IrishNinja

wait so FF origins isn't hot garbage like other 2 collections?

I'm so tempted by the snes models but I really want to hold out for one that supports all the special chips. I am so excited for my n64 one to come!

ehh im debating leaving the DSP chip off; already got pilotwings & mario kart, don't need the rest. i also have super mario RPG, MMX 1/2/3 and others so for the price of the SD2SNES, i can get a super 2, N64 board & have change left!

...someone talk me outta this N64 board before i pull the trigger

Teknoman

ehh im debating leaving the DSP chip off; already got pilotwings & mario kart, don't need the rest. i also have super mario RPG, MMX 1/2/3 and others so for the price of the SD2SNES, i can get a super 2, N64 board & have change left!

Well one thing about Chronicles and Anthology, aside from some dated CG / cool Toriyama anime cutscenes, they're really just the SNES games with load times in so many words.

Origins on the other hand = Upgraded sprites that dont look like something from a flash game / too smoothed, challenging difficulty, and of course high quality CD soundtrack.

The GBA version of 1 & 2 has lower quality graphics (doesnt look bad though) and music, and is much easier. The PSP versions are on two different UMDs and imo look sorta...cheap. I'm not sure how to describe them, but they have a sort of high quality flash game look to them?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I agree with what Teknoman wrote, the GBA-games are too easy, and the PSP-versions look horrible.

But like I wrote above, Final Fantasy IV on Chronicles is not garbage, as it restores the original difficulty, making the game much more enjoyable than the Snes-version. It might not be the best version of the game since the PSP-version exist - but it was for a very long time, at least for us westerners.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
man... not sure what to do.. I have a Sony KV-32FS510... this thing is GODLIKE. you can set the deinterlacer to interlaced content and it will deinterlace on composite and s-video, giving you true 240p (upscaled to 480p) on old consoles.

the problem is it's massive, and as a MODERN TV is basically useless (4:3, no HDMI, no digital tuner, etc). and I don't have a suitable man cave to dedicate to retro console gaming right now. So have to store it...

question I guess I have is... where/what is the best way to store this.. say in the next 3-5 years I end up in a situation where I can actively use it, how can I make sure that it stays in great shape and doesn't rust/rot?

Lucky ! I'm one of the dumb ones that sold off their snes collection and it's just too much to get back into collecting for it considering most of the games can be had cheaper on other systems.

BUY the everdrive64! Then we can trade cool unreleased betas and Rom hacks together and be best friends forever and ever.

Edit: for those concerned about shells, you can always put it in one of your own .

IrishNinja

kept trying to buy it (ff origins) last night after you guys said so, but the store wouldn't let me - id click purchase then see my cart empty. wonder if its sold out?

kept trying to buy it (ff origins) last night after you guys said so, but the store wouldn't let me - id click purchase then see my cart empty. wonder if its sold out?
That seems to be the case. Or their website is having an aneurysm.

Re: Everdrives, I'll probably get a super 2 soon enough, but I'm not sure how badly I want it yet so I'm holding off. The sale isn't super deep so no biggie, I'd say.

Peltz

At Nintendo World near my office in NYC, I saw greatness:
12291246_10101231548957920_4313352697431017147_o.jpg

11230734_10101231548952930_6786704177269405084_o.jpg

12304364_10101231548947940_6264451831564641216_o.jpg

12309551_10101231548942950_6765290275358351637_o.jpg

12265599_10101231548883070_4690972798025745403_o.jpg

12307532_10101231548878080_6728710768961885332_o.jpg

12308004_10101231548873090_832019036935887838_o.jpg

12238220_10101231548868100_5446898538585386799_o.jpg

12307345_10101231548863110_37698975064561912_o.jpg

Sorry I don't have a better camera to capture the majesty that are Shigeru Minamoto's blue prints.

Top Bottom