• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

D.Lo

Thanks for the props SheepyGuy ;)

Not interested in current generation stuff?
There's a Wii U slightly out of shot on top of the right speaker.

But otherwise, not really. I lost interest halfway though last gen and barely finished anything. And this gen is more of exactly the same. The only thing that has grabbed me even on the Wii U is Splatoon.

Modern consoles are just so boring. Boring looking machines (all three of them), same old controllers, same old gameplay. I'd rather play Famicom.

Huggers

D.Lo. That is one awesome setup dude.

Here's mine at present. Thinking of adding a new system soon. Thinking maybe Amiga 1200 or a Neo Geo.

DiLRh9s.jpg

entremet

But otherwise, not really. I lost interest halfway though last gen and barely finished anything. And this gen is more of exactly the same. The only thing that has grabbed me even on the Wii U is Splatoon.

Modern consoles are just so boring. Boring looking machines (all three of them), same old controllers, same old gameplay. I'd rather play Famicom.

I could relate. I'm still enjoying Nintendo stuff.

And the indie community has been great.

But in terms of AAA--ugh. It's just so uninspired, movie wannabe tripe.

I've fallen in love in gaming again by getting into retro stuff I missed first time around.

Shaneus

That's an insane setup D.Lo, especially so considering shipping/finding all that crap and getting it to Australia must have cost a fucking fortune. If I'm ever around Sydney way, I'd definitely love to ogle your gear!

D.Lo

I pay for everything by buying broken consoles and repairing, restoring and selling them, and keeping a few favourites. For example I have spent less than zero net this year on games and hardware.

Though technically that means I have a second job to pay for it all haha!

Khaz

I just got robbed by DHL

I got a game from Venezuela, with a declared value of $28. The seller has paid $4 for shipping. No trick here, this is what I paid the seller. DHL now just asked me 29€ as customs fees: 17€ in VAT, 10€ in handling, 2€ of VAT over handling. VAT is 20%, it should have been 5.6€.

They kept my parcel hostage, I had no choice but to pay the ransom.

D.Lo

Damn that sucks.

I had that with Fedex once (for a much more expensive item, a AU$3000 guitar), but Australia isn't as most countries.

Pay, then yell and scream and mention your local consumer groups/bodies a lot? POst to their facebook etc. Maybe they're refund for a 'courtesy' (hush fee).

Khaz

Nah it's a lost battle already.

And all this for freakin ET 2600 (CIB, that was a good deal I thought), and only to find that my console is dead. Today is a good day.

Peltz

Have you tried the Souls games? They're pretty great.

They're as good as some of the best games I've played on retro systems. And this is coming from a guy who still rocks every generation of consoles and loves them all.

I only recently discovered Demon's Souls for myself and couldn't believe what I was missing.

PS... I just bought a mint Famicom AV with dogbone controllers and 10 games. Looking forward to owning my 3rd Famicom (and fourth NES overall).

Khaz

Thats sucks man, do you collect 2600 games?

I collect to play, it's cool to have the box to put on the shelf, but the console is the greater loss here. It was working fine last week, I think a capacitor has blown up as it still works for a fraction of a second before switching to black and white and audio static.

I was really looking forward to playing this supposedly awful game. I have to say, everything is quite clearly explained in the manuals: it's like it's a terrible, cryptic game if you only have the cartridge. The manual give you all the clues you seem to need, explains all the symbols, and details all the actions that need to be done to complete the game.

entremet

They're as good as some of the best games I've played on retro systems. And this is coming from a guy who still rocks every generation of consoles and loves them all.

I only recently discovered Demon's Souls for myself and couldn't believe what I was missing.

PS... I just bought a mint Famicom AV with dogbone controllers and 10 games. Looking forward to owning my 3rd Famicom (and fourth NES overall).

Demon's Souls is a treat. I would love a remaster for a more stable framerate.

D.Lo

I collect to play, it's cool to have the box to put on the shelf, but the console is the greater loss here. It was working fine last week, I think a capacitor has blown up as it still works for a fraction of a second before switching to black and white and audio static.
If that's all that's gone wrong it's an easy enough fix to it a gobe a 'my first repair' - give it a go!

A bit, maybe I'll give them another go.

I just don't get the appeal the Souls games have. I played the first for a bit, seemed dull, boring and frustrating. Just not my thang I guess. Maybe if I was a young stallion with more time on my hands.

entremet

I just don't get the appeal the Souls games have. I played the first for a bit, seemed dull, boring and frustrating. Just not my thang I guess. Maybe if I was a young stallion with more time on my hands.

It takes some time to click. When it does, it becomes engrossing.

Some people don't really feel it, though. And that's fine.

Timu

I beaten the Souls games...they're great, at 1st it takes a while to get into them but once you do you will be engrossed in it's challenge and the world it presents. Now I have no problems playing those games as I know what to expect.

I always love seeing retro setups. Here's a recent pic of one angle of mine. In the trinitron cabinet is a wii for VC, GameCube for GBP, model 1 genesis with model 2 CD, n64 and a Saturn with a RHEA. A slim and fat ps2 sit off to the side of the tv. I'm hoping to find some sort of tv stand to ditch the trinitron cabinet and put the consoles on proper display. I've also got a 20" pvm I'm toying around with but I honestly prefer the 27fs120 trinitron.

bCk4XQ1.jpg

Everything else is hooked up to modern tv. Xboxone is upstairs doing tv duty.

IrishNinja

^good lookin setup, socksfelloff! still tryin to get good pics of mine

It takes some time to click. When it does, it becomes engrossing.

Some people don't really feel it, though. And that's fine.

yup - i died in the 2nd level of Demons a lot, put it down for a year...friend came by & put on a clinic, loved the series since. when it clicks, there's not much out there like it!

Peltz

I always love seeing retro setups. Here's a recent pic of one angle of mine. In the trinitron cabinet is a wii for VC, GameCube for GBP, model 1 genesis with model 2 CD, n64 and a Saturn with a RHEA. A slim and fat ps2 sit off to the side of the tv. I'm hoping to find some sort of tv stand to ditch the trinitron cabinet and put the consoles on proper display. I've also got a 20" pvm I'm toying around with but I honestly prefer the 27fs120 trinitron.

So jealous of people who have the space for such cool setups. The struggle for space in NYC is too real.

Nicely done. Edit: I especially love how we have the same taste in games.

bCk4XQ1.jpg

This is really nice. I love seeing different setups. 2 sets of Bongos?

Thanks for the compliments guys! I fiddled with my setup for years. This is in my basement and its long, narrow and frustrating. I frequently have friends over for couch coop so its hard to find a friendly setup for 4+ people.

This is really nice. I love seeing different setups. 2 sets of Bongos?

2 sets of bongos for multiplayer donkey konga and uhh...sometimes smash lol.

So jealous of people who have the space for such cool setups. The struggle for space in NYC is too real.

Nicely done. Edit: I especially love how we have the same taste in games

I work in Toronto but I live 45 minutes outside of the city so I can afford to have this space

Here's a few more pics of...less tidier areas. Sorry the pics aren't the greatest

Big ass Lab and my PC. I7 4790k w/ gtx980 that I seem to only use for Netplay Melee lol
rP2ShKU.jpg

dissorganized stuff. I have bins of stuff to go through when I figure out how to get more shelf space.
P6acKpS.jpg

I can't decide where I want to put my money right now. Collection has so many gaping holes I want filled, but only so much cash and time with which to do it. Leaning towards expanding my PSP games, as I've really wanted to do something with my handhelds and the GB collection is pretty well rounded these days.
Lol 'boo hoo I live in the greatest city on earth' ;)
I am trying so hard to make some dig at NYC but lacking the creative energy right now lol. Not a huge fan of NYC.

StevieWhite

You guys all have such clean homes. I would be ashamed to share my miserable retro hovel/tangle of wires. Seriously, I store my Saturn and Sega CD games in my basement bathroom. There's a dehumidifier, though, I'm not a savage.

You guys all have such clean homes. I would be ashamed to share my miserable retro hovel/tangle of wires. Seriously, I store my Saturn and Sega CD games in my basement bathroom. There's a dehumidifier, though, I'm not a savage.

I was going to reply "ditto" up until the last couples sentences. damn. I just have a messy pile of stuff on my desk lol

entremet

Nicely done. Edit: I especially love how we have the same taste in games.

I know that feel, Petlz.

It makes me think more with creativity on how to maximize my space tho lol, without turning off prospective dates!

There's a poster in the setup thread that only has a room to his name and he makes it look amazing stylish. He's not a retro gamer, though. At least on original hardware.

SevenDevils wins the retro setup award.

Sometimes I really want to just ditch the flatscreen and turn downstairs into a full on retro room. We have a nice TV in the living room as well I could still play the newer stuff on.

I'll take some better pics and post in the retro setup thread when I have some more time.

I have one running in my basement 24/7. I would hate to lose my games to disk rot. I think I would cry.

SevenDevils wins the retro setup award.

Sometimes I really want to just ditch the flatscreen and turn downstairs into a full on retro room. We have a nice TV in the living room as well I could still play the newer stuff on.

I'll take some better pics and post in the retro setup thread when I have some more time.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I'm just thankful my wife lets me carve an area out of the basement to do this. The other side, not shown is all of my weight lifting/workout equipment and storage.

I did have everything upstairs run through my flat screen, but this just works better.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I'm just thankful my wife lets me carve an area out of the basement to do this. The other side, not shown is all of my weight lifting/workout equipment and storage.

I did have everything upstairs run through my flat screen, but this just works better.

HA. My basement and Garage are my domain. My garage is where all my workout equipment is though since the basement is pretty small with a 6'5 - 7' ceiling (im 6'4)

Funny how I bought my house long before she ever moved in but I only get the basement and garage lol.

Peltz

Saw this in Brooklyn today in one the coolest, most tagged up parts of town (off the Jefferson stop on the L-Train):

Sorry I suck so bad at panoramic shots. This mural was huge and I didn't have much time or a steady hand. It's not crooked in person.

12370744_10101243457622860_7765751787238749568_o.jpg

12357194_10101243457168770_8310293073672918561_o.jpg

12371192_10101243457348410_2578326961873413860_o.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yes a Mark III. The thing on top is the FM unit.

Well I have a Master System too (PAL, 60Hz modded)

The reasons I use the Mark III instead

1) It looks so awesome. Like a prop from a 70s/80s sci-fi movie

2) FM Audio. Can't like without it once its been experienced with a good amplifier. And like 40 games support it.
3) It's more unique. Everyone asks about it.
4) It's smaller and has controller holders, and along with the Japanese Master System is the most capable model worldwide, with a small converter it can play 99.9% of games worldwide on both card and cart.
5) Mark III controllers are way better than Master System ones, better dpad by far (also compatible so technically can just use those on MS anyway lol)
6) (Almost) all my consoles are Japanese.

Master System is cool looking too, so I keep that one around as well. I love hardware!

I also like to have unique versions. My N64 is an RGB modded Japanese board inside a transparent smoke US shell.

I mean, I also have an SG1000 and an SG1000 II for even more legit Sega fanboyness lol.

Really awesome stuff youve got there, so jelly for that collection! Btw, does all Mark III machines have the FM, or do you need to look for one in particular? Also, how easy is it to get western games to play on the thing?

D.Lo

Really awesome stuff youve got there, so jelly for that collection! Btw, does all Mark III machines have the FM, or do you need to look for one in particular?
FM is an external attachment, it's an accessory. The Japanese Master System has it built in.

I'm convinced it's called the Master System in the west because it was supposed to have the FM unit built in (eg it's the 'Master' version of the Mark III). Or a version was, hence many western games having FM support, even though it was never released in the west. Perhaps the non-FM version was going to be called the Power Base, (or just the 'Sega') and the FM version the 'Master System'. This would make sense of the fact there was no 'Master System' branding on any games for years.

Also, how easy is it to get western games to play on the thing?
Western games all play perfectly with a $17 converter. Cards play with no converter.

I use Japanese games and my home-hacked-up Mark III Everdrive mostly.

I have the Sega Mega Drive, CD, Saturn and Dreamcast. The Mega Drive is pristine.

But this isn't about that it's about the N64.

Me and my best friend used to okay GoldenEye as was the law if you had it! He has got a house and is doing it up and as a house warming gift I am getting him a tin opener (inside joke) and I want to get an N64 for him. Can I ask:

1) what is reliability like and what are the common faults to keep an eye on?

2) what is the best way to connect it to a TV.

3) are the controllers reliable?

Thanks for the responses.

2SeeKU

1) what is reliability like and what are the common faults to keep an eye on?

There's no common faults really. Maybe the power supply but they're replaceable anyway.

2) what is the best way to connect it to a TV.

How much money do you want to spend? There's RGB and even HDMI kits available now. Next best would be through an upscaler like the XRGB-mini. The most affordable option is just to find an S-Video cable. Mind you, it'll look like ass on a HDTV. Go old school and pick up a CRT TV if your friend has the room. They're ridiculously cheap (free in my area) and you can't beat the look of real scanlines.

3) are the controllers reliable?

I own 6 controllers, all analog sticks have been replaced. It's a cheap fix though (maybe $5 per controller).

Top Bottom