• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Teknoman

Saw this in Brooklyn today in one the coolest, most tagged up parts of town (off the Jefferson stop on the L-Train):

Sorry I suck so bad at panoramic shots. This mural was huge and I didn't have much time or a steady hand. It's not crooked in person.

12370744_10101243457622860_7765751787238749568_o.jpg

12357194_10101243457168770_8310293073672918561_o.jpg

12371192_10101243457348410_2578326961873413860_o.jpg

Damn, this is the best thing i've seen in Houston (from a few years back):

mlKBNdl.jpg

On that note. i'm thinking after Xenogears, i'm gonna roll for a more lighthearted RPG. I want to get around to Suikoden I+II but after Xeno, I need to turn things down a notch lol.

Suiko isn't really heavy if that's what you're saying. It's got a lot of light hearted dialogue, and even the heavier segments tend to be relatively even keel. It's really just a very severe villain.

I don't think I've mentioned it, but my game collection passed 5000 games recently. Yeah! :)

As a few notes though, this includes both physical and digital games, and I have a somewhat random rule for how collections or bundles count -- if it's a collection or bundle of games for that platform I count them individually, but if it's a classic collection I count the collection as one game. So the Sega (Genesis) 6-Pak cart counts as six (actually seven) games, but Midway Arcade Treasures for the GC counts as one. I've got reasons for this I don't know if I need to fully explain, but it does make some sense. I mean, if I put some random Humble Bundle name in the list as a title, that means little about what games are actually included; you can't just go look at a boxshot to see what's in it after all. I think it makes sense to include all PC digital bundle titles individually. As for console bundles of games for that system, I have very few of these -- the Genesis 6-Pak is actually one of the only ones -- so that's not too big of a deal. I used to only list the 6-Pak as one game, but changed it to seven recently, to be consistent with how I list PC bundles. But why list each game separately there, but not for MAT, Namco Museum, etc.? I guess I care about whether the games in the collection are available individually for that platform or not. Generally in those classic collections, you can't also get those games individually, so it's only available as a bundle. But in a Genesis 6-Pak, that's all games that are also available on their own carts. I've decided that that difference matters.

I keep a list of my games in a spreadsheet. I used to just use some online lists, but it's nice to have a list I can add more columns and tabs to, and I keep the spreadsheet updated, adding stuff when I get new games. It's a Quattro Pro spreadsheet, though, since I'm a fan of Wordperfect/Quattro Pro, so I don't know if anyone who doesn't have Quattro Pro would ever be able to see the thing... :) I list a bunch of info for eacn game, as I described once (copying over stuff from the list IGN's site exports), adding columns for how much I paid for the game, whether I've beaten it, the genre, etc. There are also a bunch of other tabs, for a list of game console or computer hardware I have, for the number of games I have for each system (with formulas to auto-update the numbers so I don't need to manually add to these each time), etc. I like it. :)

The number of games I have for each platform varies from 1285 for all PC games combined, to 1 for several platforms (two games I have for systems I don't actually own, and my Octopus Game & Watch if you count it). For consoles, the one I have the most for is the Genesis+Sega CD+32X, which just reached 301 games (combined) last week. Not counting addons, I have the most for the PS1 -- 274 games. Even though I dislike that system, it certainly has lots of interesting games.

entremet

How do you guys keep track of digital games?

I wish there was some automated system that could various digital stores including the consoles ones.

Manual entry is annoying.

I don't think I've mentioned it, but my game collection passed 5000 games recently. Yeah! :)

Pretty crazy. ;-) Congrats!

As a few notes though, this includes both physical and digital games, and I have a somewhat random rule for how collections or bundles count -- if it's a collection or bundle of games for that platform I count them individually, but if it's a classic collection I count the collection as one game. So the Sega (Genesis) 6-Pak cart counts as six (actually seven) games, but Midway Arcade Treasures for the GC counts as one. I've got reasons for this I don't know if I need to fully explain, but it does make some sense. I mean, if I put some random Humble Bundle name in the list as a title, that means little about what games are actually included; you can't just go look at a boxshot to see what's in it after all. I think it makes sense to include all PC digital bundle titles individually. As for console bundles of games for that system, I have very few of these -- the Genesis 6-Pak is actually one of the only ones -- so that's not too big of a deal. I used to only list the 6-Pak as one game, but changed it to seven recently, to be consistent with how I list PC bundles. But why list each game separately there, but not for MAT, Namco Museum, etc.? I guess I care about whether the games in the collection are available individually for that platform or not. Generally in those classic collections, you can't also get those games individually, so it's only available as a bundle. But in a Genesis 6-Pak, that's all games that are also available on their own carts. I've decided that that difference matters.

I keep a list of my games in a spreadsheet. I used to just use some online lists, but it's nice to have a list I can add more columns and tabs to, and I keep the spreadsheet updated, adding stuff when I get new games. It's a Quattro Pro spreadsheet, though, since I'm a fan of Wordperfect/Quattro Pro, so I don't know if anyone who doesn't have Quattro Pro would ever be able to see the thing... :) I list a bunch of info for eacn game, as I described once (copying over stuff from the list IGN's site exports), adding columns for how much I paid for the game, whether I've beaten it, the genre, etc. There are also a bunch of other tabs, for a list of game console or computer hardware I have, for the number of games I have for each system (with formulas to auto-update the numbers so I don't need to manually add to these each time), etc. I like it. :)

The number of games I have for each platform varies from 1285 for all PC games combined, to 1 for several platforms (two games I have for systems I don't actually own, and my Octopus Game & Watch if you count it). For consoles, the one I have the most for is the Genesis+Sega CD+32X, which just reached 301 games (combined) last week. Not counting addons, I have the most for the PS1 -- 274 games. Even though I dislike that system, it certainly has lots of interesting games.

I also work with a spreadsheet. Excel though. And I've also added a good number columns with extra information so that I can draw random statistics of my collection when I feel like it, lol.

I do count any compilation or collection as just 1 unit though. That feels the least arbitrary.

And while they are listed in my spreadsheet because they are part of my gaming expenses, I don't really count any of my 227 digital games to my collection. So I'm currently at 1058 physical copies (not counting any spare copies). Which is a really small collection compared to yours. :D

How do you guys keep track of digital games?

I wish there was some automated system that could various digital stores including the consoles ones.
What do you mean, that would list every digital bundle and such, so you can list them as bundles instead of separate titles? Or just something which actually has everything listed? I doubt any site actually isn't missing games. GameFAQs is very comprehensive, but doesn't have everything. MobyGames is maybe better for computer games, but has lots of holes. And sites like IGN are mostly good for US-released physical releases only. Backloggery, of course, is manual-entry only, it doesn't have a database.

Manual entry is annoying.

Yeah, at some point none of the online listing sites are going to have all of the features you want.
Pretty crazy. ;-) Congrats!
Yeah, I have a lot of games now. I've even played most of them some. :p

I also work with a spreadsheet. Excel though. And I've also added a good number columns with extra information so that I can draw random statistics of my collection when I feel like it, lol.
I describe what I do http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147338654&postcount=24 here; I haven't changed my system since. I can't really recommend it because IGN's library is very spotty for imports and older PC games, but anyone with a modern-system, US-released-heavy library will find they have most titles. It's worth emphasizing that IGN's search system is TERRIBLE and to not use it; use a search engine custom search, that might actually find the page you want, if it exists. I wish a better option exists, but do any of the other sites allow you to export to spreadsheet? I mean, GameFAQs has a really nice database, and you can add games to a list, but no export function sadly. Other sites I've tried don't seem to have it either.

Here are the columns I use in my spreadsheet:
Title Platform(s) Publisher IGN Rating My Rating Release Date Genre Purchase Date (Rough Estimate) Notes Contents (complete = game+case(+box if there is one)+manual, not all other extras) Price Finished?

The order of columns is the same as the list IGN exports, but I've changed some -- replaced their useless "collection or wishlist" column with the genre list (I don't keep a wishlist, haven't since the early '00s), added the Notes, Contents, Price, and Finished columns, and redone the formatting in how they list platforms and publishers in a way I like more. When I decided to add the Price tag, oh, last year or something it sure was a lot of work to go back and see what I'd recorded prices for... :p For a lot of stuff I don't have prices or accurate "when I bought it" dates, either. Ah well.

Oh, I do fill in numbers in the My Score column, with my usual "7.5 (aka a C grade) is average" system. They're not final scores or anything though, just 'what I think of the game at the moment I put a number there' things.

I do count any compilation or collection as just 1 unit though. That feels the least arbitrary.
For consoles sure I can see this, but for PC? Between Steam, GOG, Bundle Stars, Humble Bundle, etc., though, listing PC digital bundles only by the bundle name would get confusing fast, and how would you even remember which games are in the bundle unless you list them all in a column or something?

And while they are listed in my spreadsheet because they are part of my gaming expenses, I don't really count any of my 227 digital games to my collection. So I'm currently at 1058 physical copies (not counting any spare copies). Which is a really small collection compared to yours. :D
I've got 737 digital games and 13 games I have DLC for (I don't list DLC separately, I just add a listing if I've bought any DLC for a game), so minus those I've got about 4339 actual physical games. I do count digital games though, mostly -- I don't count Xbox One Games with Gold titles and don't list those games in my collection, both because I don't have an Xbox One (I just have the games because they're there, so why not add them for whenever I do get one?) and also because they require an XBL subscription to be playable, but everything else is in the list.

I've never posted a full set of pictures of my collection online. I've got stuff all over, so it'd need a bunch of pictures if I wanted to cover everything... and it doesn't look pretty, for the most part. I am not one of those people with the well-organized gaming rooms you see in the GAF thread for that kind of thing, for example. Sure, I keep everything organized in that like things are together, but it's not neat. A big chunk of the living room floor is covered with consoles and games for example, my DS games are in some Game Gear cases next to my bed and also on the bedside table, etc. Most stuff is on shelves, but it doesn't all fit, and also I like having some games near the console so I can play stuff without having to go to the shelf or drawer to find the cart or what have you... and then I leave them there even if I haven't touched the game in six months. Heh. There's also a big knot of controller wires in front of my chair. I only keep the necessary number of controllers plugged in (extras are stored away), but that's a lot of wires when you have a bunch of consoles.

As for physical computer games those are a bit more neatly organized in that they're not all over the floor, but there are a few big stacks of jewelcases lined up, in addition to the other jewelcases on some shelves. Then most PC boxes are down in the basement, though I have a few up where I live. Most console boxes are down there too, except for a few scattered around and a box full of some of the more interesting or valuable ones I have upstairs.

Oh, games on shelves are organized, but not alphabetically. Instead I organize games by genre, usually, though for a few systems it's by save type instead. The genre order is kind of random -- the idea is to try to connect genres so that it flows from each one to the next, covering multi-genre games in the process (hopefully). I'll list it below.

... So yeah, it's not exactly the most picture-perfect collection. :p

Genre Order - This is written on an envelope, and this is actually the first time I've written it down on the computer I believe. It's the order it is because I first wrote it up based ion the order of how I wanted my PC games organized based on putting the genres the PC is best at first... then I decided to reorganize my console games using the same order too to be consistent, though I have made additions. The order could change sometime, but I really do like organizing games by genre instead of alphabetical order, I like having similar games together on the shelf!
--
Adventure
-----Action-Adventure
-----Survival Horror
Action-RPG
RPG
Strategy
-----RTS
-----TBS
Sims
-----Building
-----Vehicular
Flight Combat
Racing (see breakdown I sometimes use below)
FPS
Third Person Shooter
Beat 'em Up [including Character Action games as well as classic isometric beat 'em ups]
Arcade Action
-----Ball & Paddle
-----Other
Topdown Action
-----Action-Adventure
-----Run & Gun (Topdown)
Run & Gun (sidescrolling)
Platformer
-----2D [note: I only sometimes use the below organization.]
----------Single Screen Platformer
----------Action-Platformer
----------Platformer (Cartoony, etc.)
----------Other 2D Platformers
-----3D
Shmup/Shmuplikes
-----Light Gun Shooter
-----Rail Shooter
-----Arena (note that these games could go in Run & Gun (Topdown) instead.)
-----Shmup
Fighting
-----2D
-----3D
Pinball
Puzzle/Trvia
Sports
Music
Other

Racing genre order (for the platforms where I actually organize the racing games)
--
Topdown
Kart
Futuristic
Car (Arcade)
Car (Realistic)
Bike/Snowboard

As for how I list PC games on the computer, in the Start Menu the PC games are in genre-based folders, with subfolders for some subgenres -- like for RPG there are Online, RPG - Action, and RPG - Turnbased subfolders. In addition, for when I launch things from Steam, currently I have my Steam Library list broken up into about seven genres, with all games put into one genre or another.

IrishNinja

holy crap, that's detailed! i basically keep my shelves like i keep my everdrives - although i love having horror & a few other sections too

Hy1kQbF.png

entremet

I don't have huge collection, but it's not organized whatsoever.

Well by platform, but that' it. I just put things back in the area with most slack lol.

holy crap, that's detailed! i basically keep my shelves like i keep my everdrives - although i love having horror & a few other sections too

http://i.imgur.com/Hy1kQbF.png[/QUOTE]
Nice. Do you organize your actual physical games by genre too, or only roms? Most people seem to prefer to just sort by genre for any kind of game organization, but I've never liked that...

I'm keeping a spreadsheet that's pretty detailed for my NES collection. I have a single, much less detailed spreadsheet as a running list for most of my other stuff, but it's far from complete.

And, damn ABF ... 5000 games is a helluva lot.

Teknoman

Im gonna start putting games that i'm not playing atm on Backloggery as well. I swear I rebought Resonance of Fate, but cant find it anywhere.

This is how mine is setup using collectorz

8Sq8dyz.png

rwkUINM.png

wmRM8PH.png

I have the same info on my phone so if I'm out in the wild or browsing auction sites, I can check real fast. I also can scan the boxes/CD barcodes and it adds everything in.

IrishNinja

yeah, i frequent backloggery

So...

Whats in the "Man I dont even know folder" lol?

exactly that, haha - usually edutainment or shit i just don't know/care to put elsewhere

Nice. Do you organize your actual physical games by genre too, or only roms? Most people seem to prefer to just sort by genre for any kind of game organization, but I've never liked that...

yup! Mzo & others scolded me for not just putting them alphabetically, but my shelves are set up roughly by genre, and then in my personal order of preference. it makes sense in my mind, though i frequently rerank/arrange them after a few drinks, haha

NDPsycho

This is how mine is setup using collectorz

8Sq8dyz.png

rwkUINM.png

wmRM8PH.png

I have the same info on my phone so if I'm out in the wild or browsing auction sites, I can check real fast. I also can scan the boxes/CD barcodes and it adds everything in.

I love their software. I use the game and comic editions and also the apps on my phone. Easy to use with lots of nice touches like cover searches and links to videos. I do wish there was better automated price checking/tracking, but it's a good value anyway.

yup! Mzo & others scolded me for not just putting them alphabetically, but my shelves are set up roughly by genre, and then in my personal order of preference. it makes sense in my mind, though i frequently rerank/arrange them after a few drinks, haha
In this case at least, you're right and they're wrong, in my opinion. :) I think games look better arranged with other games which are actually similar to them, instead of games which are just random games unrelated to the ones next to them in any way other than the random chance of what their title was...

As for how to sort games within genres, though, eh... I don't know, I often don't really. Of course in a PC they automatically alphabetize stuff, but for physical console games they're often kind of random within a genre. I'm fine with that.

As for preference, for some systems I do have a second row of games behind the front row on the shelf, and I do put games I like more on front and ones I like less behind. Also, the games down on the floor next to the consoles are games I either like more than the ones back on the shelf, or at least are games I am more interested in playing than the ones on the shelf; it's some of both.

IrishNinja

As for preference, for some systems I do have a second row of games behind the front row on the shelf, and I do put games I like more on front and ones I like less behind. Also, the games down on the floor next to the consoles are games I either like more than the ones back on the shelf, or at least are games I am more interested in playing than the ones on the shelf; it's some of both.

ah, see - totally with you on grouping like things, but it's all about accessibility! i was gonna say no way i'd do 2nd rows, but then i don't even have half the games you do, so it's pretty understandable, haha

mr_chun

Is there still a need for a Game Gear thread?

I wouldn't call myself an aficionado necessarily, but I'm certainly an owner/collector/enthusiast. I've made quite a few large threads for other forums, but never here. I'd like to take a crack at it, if it hasn't been done.

brainpann

I wouldn't call myself an aficionado necessarily, but I'm certainly an owner/collector/enthusiast. I've made quite a few large threads for other forums, but never here. I'd like to take a crack at it, if it hasn't been done.

Ive only owned GG stufff for a little over a year but Id be down. Its an awesome little system and deserves some neo love.

D.Lo

I think the Master System thread is suitable, as it is 99% the same system. It's basically a Sega 8-bit thread, also covering the SG1000 and Game Gear.

One of the advantages for Sega of making their handheld a portable Mark III was that they could make a game and release it on Game Gear in Japan, and Master System in Europe, eg Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

mr_chun

I think the Master System thread is suitable, as it is 99% the same system. It's basically a Sega 8-bit thread, also covering the SG1000 and Game Gear.

One of the advantages for Sega of making their handheld a portable Mark III was that they could make a game and release it on Game Gear in Japan, and Master System in Europe, eg Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.
I was asking because the OP of this thread specifically cited the Game Gear as needing its own thread.

Teknoman

So is it possible to buy extra shelf boards for these:

5Oxu3JC.jpg

Its got all those extra spots, but I've never seen additional shelf board sold seperately

Teknoman

crap, is that GG thread not in the OP? meant to put it there!

and tekno, is that an ikea billy bookcase or what

lol I forget the name of it, but its a smaller version of those media shelves you can buy from Walmart.

Mainstays I think? At any rate, the larger one came with more than enough:

qVjhtIi.jpg

EDIT: Which was an actual bookcase now that I think about it...

And I was planning on using the smaller one for just jewel cases:

HYkNWcY.jpg

Unless i'm going to have to do some DIY project. Loose NES/Genesis stuff and a few original box things I just keep in a storage bin for the time being. Pretty easy access.

StevieWhite

Cross-posting from the Saturn thread, but Happy Holidays, guys!

https://youtu.be/WtAw3sCZ_GE

RetroGAF is the best GAF. I've really enjoyed being part of this community over the past year or so - hope you get some quality time with your console of choice over the coming days! Extra thanks for the feedback people have given me on the videos I've posted.

Me, I'll be playing Super Spike V'Ball with my brothers. This is the year we finally take down the US Navy team.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
RetroGAF is, indeed, the best GAF. Everyone knows what they're talking about, and it's one of the rare segments of GAF that doesn't whine about menial bullshit or perceived slights in every single thread. Which is cool!

The clubhouse in my parents' neighborhood in FL apparently has an arcade with Crazy Taxi. I'll be there.

eXistor

I might as well ask here. I'm also at the point where I really need to catalog my collection and I think using a spreadsheet is probably the best option for me. Thing is: I know nothing about making spreadsheets and such, so is there anyone that has a template that I can use? I'd have to catalog about 2000 games, so it's gonna be a hell of a job, but hey it's gotta happen sometime right?

RetroGAF is, indeed, the best GAF. Everyone knows what they're talking about, and it's one of the rare segments of GAF that doesn't whine about menial bullshit or perceived slights in every single thread. Which is cool!

I've said the same thing to other people when talking about retrogaf in comparison to gaf itself. It truly is an oasis. :3

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
<3 retro-GAF. and tekno, that looks great! man those bitboxes are really sharp

maaaaan next time you're out this way-ish, holla!

Breh. I have to drive up to palm beach from Miami when I fly out here. Only flight I can get from Seattle is to Miami, so I'm totally in that area.

Retro Gaf has the best group of people that I have been around in along time. Knowledgeable, helpful, friendly to newcomers & no hidden agendas. I love checking in on these threads daily to see what you cats are up to. Sometimes doing so makes an unbearable day, bearable. Happy Holidays!

Top Bottom