• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Game Gear Appreciation Thread: Separating The Men From The Boys

travola-desert.gif

BTails

My brother had the Game Boy and I had the Game Gear... He had the better games, but I'll always have a soft spot for my GG. I must've played hours of "The Majors Pro Baseball" which came with the system.

Jurassic Park on the GG is also super underrated. I loved that game too.

Phthisis

The Power Rangers game was surprisingly good. Played it all the time. I also really enjoyed Sonic Drift 2 as a kart racer.

The Game Gear version of Mega Man was actually published by U.S. Gold, and none of its assets are included in the Mega Man Complete Works (derp) from Udon. It was an amalgamation of levels and bosses from NES Mega Man 4 and 5.

Also, the Game Gear version of Spider-Man X-Men Arcade's Revenge is still to this day the hardest game I've ever played.

Jurassic Park on the GG is also super underrated. I loved that game too.

Yes! That game was stellar. Hard as fuck, too. The last level with all those doors that took you random places, and then when you finally reached the T-Rex, you probably had no life and barely enough napalms.

gelf

That huge disappointment when it ran out of batteries so soon on Christmas Day. I ended up only ever owning two games on the system but I really did love Sonic Chaos. By far the best 8-bit sonic game IMO.

Arkam

You cant put a picture of the Game Gear without the basically required A/C adapter. I really enjoyed my GG, but it never seemed to be as portable as it should have been. Probably spent 90% of my play time next to a wall socket.

AmyS

Ah, Game Gear. The only Sega system I did not own.

I remember reading in EGM that Sega was working on a color handheld. The working name was 'Micro Drive' and would be based on slight enhancement of the Master System. I don't have those EGM scans right now, however, I found these:

Famitsu, 1989. An artist's drawing based on a few specs:

Q2jYWbD.jpg

UK magazine - Near-final design?

9saTCju.jpg

I have never, ever beaten the first boss of Sonic 2 on GameGear. :|

Sonic Triple Trouble was the shit though. So underappreciated.

Also: holy shit @ that "hands" ad. I can't stop laughing.

SegaShack

I definitely want to recommend for people to check out Ristar on Game Gear, it is a completely different game than the Genesis one (has different levels and layouts).

entremet

Collectors should be aware of the capacitor issues. It can be fixed, of course.

There's a screen mod too. The ghosting in the original GG was horrendous.

Great console. Ahead of it's time.

I have never, ever beaten the first boss of Sonic 2 on GameGear. :|

Sonic Triple Trouble was the shit though. So underappreciated.

Also: holy shit @ that "hands" ad. I can't stop laughing.

I stand on the tip of the slope right by the crab and jump away from the bouncing ball hit the wall on the right to bounce back. I do this every time and have no problem.

Huge fan.

My parents told me I could get a Game Gear if I saved up the money myself, so I spent months saving my allowance. When I finally saved up enough to get a used one at my local game shop, I walked in with the cash held proudly in hand. I pointed at the one I wanted through the glass case, and it was at that point that my parents revealed that they were going to buy me the system, and that I had my saved up money to use to get some games!

I walked out with a Blue Game Gear, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Triple Trouble, and immense appreciation for my parents. I recently reminded my mom of this story, but she didn't remember as much as I did.

Unfortunately, during that same visit home, I discovered the screen has died. Has anyone replaced their screens, that could offer some guidance? The sentimental value is such, that I want to repair this one, rather than replace the whole system.

Game Gear was great.

teiresias

I still have mine, but the screen is absolutely intolerable and my AC adapter is pretty much frayed to it's last breathe so there's like no way to really play the thing. Out of the games in the OP, I only owned Dragon Crystal. I always wanted Ax Battler (did that release in the US?) and Defender of Oasis (though I rented this one from Blockbuster at the time).

dukeoflegs

I bought one for $5 but the seller didn't know the capacitors were bad. I need to get that fixed but don't know anyone that can solder.

entremet

For those with 3DSes who want to explore the GG library without buying a legacy hardware, it is on the VC.

Moreover, the GG games on the 3DS VC were done by M2 and they have button mapping!

Putting Nintendo to shame on their own console.

gelf

Anyone have any ideas as to why Sonic Chaos is missing from the 3DS eshop, just about every other notable Sonic GG game is on there.

Khaz

Unfortunately, during that same visit home, I discovered the screen has died. Has anyone replaced their screens, that could offer some guidance? The sentimental value is such, that I want to repair this one, rather than replace the whole system.

It's not the screen, it's the capacitors. They can be changed.

Khaz

Anyone have any ideas as to why Sonic Chaos is missing from the 3DS eshop, just about every other notable Sonic GG game is on there.

For the same reason we never got The GG Shinobi 2: M2 stopped porting Game Gear games to focus on 3D adaptations of arcade and Megadrive games.

The Game Gear has the best game in the Disney/Sega Illusion series. No, not Castle of Illusion (Though the 8-Bit version of it is dope, and a better platformer than the Genesis version)

I'm talking about this motherfucker right here

43526_front.jpg

Fan-fucking-tastic game. Easily my favorite in the series, even over the gorgeous World of Illusion. I saw an ad on the back of a GG box for it as a kid and knew I had to have it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This was a pretty good system, it was cool how i

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sorry, battery died

d+pad

I'm not a fan of the physical GG hardware--that thing is HUGE and requires enough batteries to power a small country--but, man did it have some wonderful games. A few of my faves: The Berlin Wall, Galaga '91, the four Madou Monogatari games, Magical Puzzle Popils, Mappy and Nazo Puyo: Aruru no Roux (and the other Puyo Puyo spinoffs).

cj_iwakura

It's got 2 exclusive Aleste games so it's alright in my book. Neither look or play half bad and do the Aleste Compile shooter series justice. Such an awesome weapon system. Sadly I never got to own one at it's release because I was so anti-portable growing up.

149351-gg-aleste-game-gear-screenshot-first-boss_zpstmvn2zgl.jpg

GG-Aleste-II-Screenshots-11_zpswe9jwt2e.png

images_zpsxaapdvaj.jpg
Wow, had no idea Aleste was on the GG.

Game Gear was such a shitty handheld, I hated mine when I got it and wanted a Game Boy so bad.

I won't lie though looking back it did have some good games on there. Don't know if I would buy another Game Gear for them though.

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
Loved the Game Gear. Lived in Poland at the time and my awesome grandma had bought one for me and sent it to me as a gift. My favorite game was Sonic the Hedgehog, I would reply the first stage over and over for the fastest time. For some reason I also liked the Home Alone game, which I don't think is that great in hindsight.

I eventually got a Game Boy when I came to the States I think and was pretty disappointed. I couldn't believe I went from color to a green screen.

It's not too hard to mod a GameGear to work on any TV through VGA or some other connection: http://etim.net.au/ggtv/ggtv.htm

And if you have a Master Gear Convertor or something similar, you can turn your modded GameGear into a makeshift Master System.

I had a GameGear when I was a kid. I loved it. Those Shinobi games were great.

Mihos

Gold Member
Streets of Rage 1 and 2 were pretty good. I was addicted at the time

I remember playing Mega Man on gamegear, but you had to just jump and hope a platform was there since you couldnt see far ahead. I never finished it. I should still have it laying around somewhere

My gamegear has a broken speaker and then completely stoped working a few years ago, had to recycle it :(

I still own a carry case and the games I had, sonic 1+2, ax battler, shinobi, columns and a few others, somewhere in storage.

Vorg

Banned
That battery life time of 3 to 5 hours in the op is extremely optimistic. It's what killed the system for me. Always knew I could rely on the Gameboy for long lasting gaming sessions in the go. Game Gear, not so much.

Amalthea

Banned
I was stupid enough to use my Megadrive AC cable on my GG so it propably fried some circuits now it always acts as if the d-pad is pressed on left.

Top Bottom