• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios working on fucking Donkey Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

This is great news, Donkey Kong Country Returns was one of the best platformers ever made and I'm really happy to see Retro doing another one.

Bladenic

Biggest disappointment of the show. Working on a fucking Donkey Kong game. Nobody gives a shit about Donkey Kong; let Retro go wild. I was so underwhelmed and disappointed by this.

A lot more people care about DK than Metroid lmao.

And LOL at calling this E3 a disappointment for Nintendo. They announced and showed a ton of great looking games. I swear some people can't be pleased no matter what.

I think people know that DKCR was good, that is why they want to see something new from Retro. It is clear there are talented and creative programmers and especially artists at Retro and we aren't really seeing that unfortunately. Metroid Prime was over TEN YEARS AGO. It was a watershed game for Nintendo and that generation. Making a game like that would buy any other developer a long leash to work on whatever they want but instead all Retro has done is 2 more Metroids and a Donkey Kong Country sequel.

I mentioned it here a few months ago, but this is like if Sony had told Naughty Dog to make a new Ape Escape 5 years ago. Yeah, ND are a talented bunch and probably would have rocked the fuck out of Ape Escape, but then we wouldn't have gotten Uncharted or Last of Us. It just seems incredibly short sighted on Nintendo's part. For all we know Retro has a great, original franchise that could help Nintendo make inroads in the West, be it a FPS, action game, RPG, online game, whatever.

Moxx19

Banned
IDC what they make. Whatever Retro touches turns to gold. And its a sequel to one of my favorite 2d platformers ever with water levels. dixie, and david wise doing the score.

I am excite.

Am still pissed about SM3DW though.

PBY

Banned
A lot more people care about DK than Metroid lmao.

And LOL at calling this E3 a disappointment for Nintendo. They announced and showed a ton of great looking games. I swear some people can't be please no matter what.
Nintendo was objectively awful.

This was the best news of the conference for me. I fucking LOVED DKCR so I'll be getting this day 1. There's about 13-14 Wii U titles I'm planning on getting in the next 18 months. Thank you based Reggie

MrT-Tar

Why are people so up in arms? Yes, I would've preferred a Star Fox or Takimaru reboot, but a second DKCR is nothing bad

TedNindo

Part of the problem to me is that this game doesn't seem to have grown as much because of the horsepower.

While a game like Metroid or an original IP had the potential to blow us away with its detailed world and art direction in a way that Donkey Kong just can't. It would have also given us an idea of what the WiiU is capable of when a talented dev that knows how to push hardware makes a game for it.

Metroid Prime still looks good today. The added horsepower in combination with the art direction could have made for a very impressive game that could have even stood out amongst the next gen games that are being shown at E3 right now.

Not only that. But it would have been able to add a lot to the overal atmosphere of a Metroid tittle. And I can think of many different uses of the tablet could be used for in a Metroid game.

Donkey Kong looks great. Don't get me wrong. But it's hard to get excited for another 2D platfomer on a console that is lacking in all kinds of genres BUT 2D platformers.

Zornica

Banned
Are you people sure that this is THE retro game? because it doesn't add up...
All the things we were told about the mysterious game the last couple of years, it just doesn't fit. they made the original dkcr within a few months, the hired lots of people...
are we sure this isn't just a side project?

JeTmAn81

Donkey Kong Country Returns probably sold more copies than the last decade's worth of Metroid games put together, so yeah. More Donkey Kong. I just finished the 3DS remake and definitely wouldn't mind some more of that.

Danielsan

Huge huge disappointment. Donkey Kong is cool and all, but I expected way way more from Retro than just farting out a sequel.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 2? DAVID WISE!? DIXIE KONG? Sign me the hell up, Nintendo. Best possible thing they could have announced for me.

I do feel sorry for Metroid fans, but hey, you guys got three games! And this is just the second for DKC.

This supports full off-screen play? If so, it's a big plus for me. I'm working my way through DKCR3D, and dang, these folks can make platformers.

In terms of this actually pushing Wii U's, though, I fear it's going to be NSMBU all over again.

Are you people sure that this is THE retro game? because it doesn't add up...
All the things we were told about the mysterious game the last couple of years, it just doesn't fit. they made the original dkcr within a few months, the hired lots of people...
are we sure this isn't just a side project?

Maybe the rest of the team is helping on Mario Kart U. Wouldn't surprise me lol.

I don't get it anymore. Does Nintendo just not trust Retro? Is there still baggage left from how ugly things got back in the late 90s/early00s? Unleash them already. How do they have the same pull as Next Level Games? How do they have LESS pull in terms of creating new IP as MonolithSoft?

Maybe the rest of the team is helping on Mario Kart U. Wouldn't surprise me lol.

I don't get it anymore. Does Nintendo just not trust Retro? Is there still baggage left from how ugly things got back in the late 90s/early00s? Unleash them already. How do they have the same pull as Next Level Games? How do they have LESS pull in terms of creating new IP as MonolithSoft?

Why are people acting like Retro making a DKC game is some kind of prison sentence? DKCR was an outstanding game and a sequel makes more sense than a lot of things. And it seems it's something Retro wanted to do. I do hope they make an original franchise some day, but DKCR means more to me than it should.

GamerJM

Banned
Definitely a let down, but the game still looks neat.

One of the biggest problems with the Wii U right now though is that there aren't really any big first-party games, like, something on the scale of Skyward Sword, Galaxy, or the Prime games. Aside from Wind Waker, which is a port/remake thing.

MrT-Tar

But wasn't it Retro's decision to undertake another DKC game?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34554

The link suggests it was Retro's call, not some top down decision from NCL

Also, I wasn't really on gaming sites back then, but was there this much backlash went Metroid Prime 2 was announced?

Rösti;62642621 said:
Appalling news in my opinion. The resources could have been used to produce something original and fresh. Instead, we get something we've already played twice (once on Wii, once on Nintendo 3DS). Where's the innovation, the passion? I'm not impressed.

My sentiments exactly

radcliff

On 3/4/11, Kensuke Tenabe said:

"I wouldn't say we won't do a sequel, but we don't have anything planned at this time."

I wonder if Retro was working on something else but Nintendo asked them to make a quick sequel when sales weren't good and they needed something else for the holidays.

Toxi

Banned
I'm disappointed just because we got no mention of a new Metroid. It seems like Nintendo's leaving that series dead.

As for Rare, I was hoping for something new from them, but Donkey Kong Country Returns was still an amazing game and the sequel will probably be just as good.

Danielsan

You mean like they shat out 2 sequels to Metroid Prime? Yeah.
Well the third one did kind of stink. I'm not saying it will be a great game, but I think retro has more potential and should be allowed to either re imagine a big IP like they did with Prime, or make their own IP.

Monolith, IIRC, was already making Xenoblade when they got bought by Nintendo and were too far in to scrap it. It turned out to be so successful that Nintendo greenlit a sequel.

Why are people acting like Retro making a DKC game is some kind of prison sentence? DKCR was an outstanding game and a sequel makes more sense than a lot of things. And it seems it's something Retro wanted to do. I do hope they make an original franchise some day, but DKCR means more to me than it should.

These are the same people who thought Kamiya was forced against his will to make the Wonderful 101 by Nintendo. There's some weird, illogical people on this site. Try not to think to hard about them.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I get the disappointment that they aren't working on something surprising and epic, but I thought most people really liked DKCR? And what they showed looked really good to me.

I think it's like this:

- DKCR is an amazing game.
- DKC:TF is probably going to be an amazing platformer, especially with David Wise music.
- Retro, in most people's view, is capable of making amazing games of multiple styles.
- Ergo, Retro was a fan favorite pick to create a hypothetical "new game" or new IP to get it off the ground well.

Of course of Retro really has two full teams now, the "bigger" game could be whatever else they're working on.

Daingurse

Dissapointing news and a waste of talent. There is nothing inherently wrong with another Donkey Kong game, the last one was apparently very good. This simply doesn't appeal to me and this won't appeal to a new audience, which the Wii-U desperately needs. Appealing to the hardcore Nintendo base alone will not make this console a success. This is so safe it's sickening.

beril

Wow, people's reactions are weird.

A studio is making a sequel to their most successful game - massive outrage. Sure, a bigger surprise would have great, but that goes for a lot of Nintendo's teams. I'd much rather have this than another Metroid prime, we already got three of those with very little evolution.

I didn't want another Metroid Prime and I didn't want StarTropics. I forgot to not want DKCR.

Oh well, hopefully it doesn't get as stale as NSMB has.

Pyrokai

ITT: I realize people don't want more amazing platformers.

Cue Cartman kills himself video. You guys are all crazy. It's not like it's their last game, Christ. No one was pissed when they announced Metroid Prime 2. My lord.

Green Yoshi

2D again? I liked Donkey Kong 64 a lot more than Donkey Kong Country Returns.

I heard many people left Retro after Metroid Prime 3, dunno if it is true. Sadly, one important developer died a couple of years ago.

Because, in any medium, when we see artists who we consider to be extremely talented, we want to see their own visions and creations. Eventually you want to see a great director make a movie out on their own. Eventually you want to see a great studio work on their own IP. Retro aren't some new kid on the block. They created a masterpiece in a lot of people's eyes 10 years ago and, in those same eyes, paid their dues. Many of us would like to see what they can do when they create a completely new world on their own, because by all accounts, they have the technical and artistic staff to pull off something incredible.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Retro themselves said they had a choice between this and Metroid and they chose this.

This wasn't a "Free Retro! They're being controlled and restricted by Nintendo!" moment. The complaining needs to stop.

Canon

Banned
This is great news, Donkey Kong Country Returns was one of the best platformers ever made and I'm really happy to see Retro doing another one.
This.

You people need to quit your whining. DKC is better than Metroid in both sales (DKCR outsold every Metroid Prime game combined) and quality.

You should've bought Metroid if you wanted it so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom