• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- RetroUSB AVS - Real Hardware HDMI NES Clone Console

Rich!

It's probably more costly than we'd like to think it is, and the average consumer is apparently willing to tolerate the faults of stuff like the Genesis "Firecore" clones.

the issue is also in the coding environment required

shit's hard to work with in comparison to modern tech

I don't think this can be said enough.

It's amazing that this is still considered a niche market. Bruh. All of the folks who played this thing are in their 30s and 40s. They still play games. They have disposable income. And you'd be tapping into their childhood.

Can you imagine if Sega released another Sonic or Streets of Rage title on the Genesis? If Yacht Club released a spin off Shovel Knight game on the Super Nintendo? Capcom released a Mega Man game on the NES? People would lose their shit.

They're cartridge systems. They'll last longer than any Playstation or Xbox. Millions of folks have them. WHY aren't there more than 1 or 2 indie developers making games for them? Why isn't Nintendo and Sega capitalizing on upgraded hardware?

I just don't understand...

You are overlooking the amount of time/money it would take for your average consumer to become a retro enthusiast. Most of those people you are describing would probably just prefer a simple solution via emulation/downloading to get their nostalgia fix.

Peltz

No RGB SCART option :-(

Do we know their manufacturing process? Any NES systems being gutted for this venture? Just curious.

FLEABttn

Banned
Is there no option to allow for older connections? I'd like to play something like this on a PVM one of these days if I ever get into retro collecting.

Why no analog RGB in addition to HDMI? I mean, if you're already spending $200 on an NES, seems like a feature you'd want.

It'd increase the BOM for a feature that realistically would not be widely used.

If you're spending $200 on an NES with the intention of playing on a PVM, get an original with an RBG mod; this product isn't for you.

Rich!

Also, in terms of design, the console is based on this:

nintendoworld6.jpg

I can't imagine most customers care about RGB output.
They have to know about it to care about it.

With all of these classic system clones and emulators coming out I'll probably never buy one just because there will always be something better coming soon. It's like I'm in the 90s with computer tech all over again...

Khaz

If it's FPGA based, why would they limit it to NES/Famicom?

Limiting yourself to one system allows a 100% out of the box plug and play compatibility. Even though the innards could do other things than an NES, the thing is designed to use NES and Famicom cartridges, with NES controllers, in a NES-looking shell.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
You are overlooking the amount of time/money it would take for your average consumer to become a retro enthusiast. Most of those people you are describing would probably just prefer a simple solution via emulation/downloading to get their nostalgia fix.

Then you make a console that allows you to also download encrypted game roms.

The point being is that the market is there. I think it is far larger that folks in game publishing are thinking it is. Anytime someone makes a retro game or console of merit, it sells out QUICKLY. This HDMI NES will be gone within a month or two. It's affordable, it connects to modern tvs, and people already have an established library ready to go.

Newer Neo Geo games that have been released in small batches have been swooped up by enthusiast and collector alike. You can't even get games like Crossed Swords 2, XYX or Gunlord for less than $1000 USD.

Super Nintendo games go for hundreds of dollars. Turbo Grafx and Genesis games are quickly climbing to the same price point.

It's ridiculous that no major publisher has tapped the market. The folks who programmed those games back in the day are probably programming directors or development team leaders now. Put together software that allows your C code to be compiled for assembly, and you're off to the races.

What kind of warranty does the console have?

I follow a lot of clone hardware and a common problem is bent pins. Is this RetroUSB's first console?

RedSwirl

I'm gonna have to think about something like this if my NES, SNES, or Genesis croaks, but if I get one I'd try to find one that makes my old games not look like crap or lag like cxrap on modern LCD screens.

One thing I've always wondered about is if any of these clone machines uses integer or nearest neighbor scaling to 1080p.

Thanks for the heads up on this and a fantastic OP.

I'm wrecked with 'this is the last time it'll turn on' paranoia every time I use the old childhood NES, so this could be smart get for me in future.

Will wait for initial impressions/reviews and assess my retro thirst when the time comes.

Link_enfant

This sounds really awesome and interesting.
How could they make it output 720p though? NES hardware is supposed to output 240p maximum, I'm curious to know more about that.

This is slightly off topic, but is there a technical reason for why we aren't seeing SNES systems like this? Is it just a matter of "it will come in time", or is there a different reason?

Back on topic, this looks amazing and I'm definitely thinking about picking one up. I think I may wait until we get some actual reviews first though.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
This is slightly off topic, but is there a technical reason for why we aren't seeing SNES systems like this? Is it just a matter of "it will come in time", or is there a different reason?

Back on topic, this looks amazing and I'm definitely thinking about picking one up. I think I may wait until we get some actual reviews first though.

it's a it will come in time.

indask8

This is a great news, current NOAC's were awful, a bit expensive but still more affordable than the 600$ analogue nes (and without reusing actual nes parts as far as I understand).

Hesemonni

Banned
Ok now this is cool. Adjustable CRT-emulation would've made this perfect.

E: I don't know how to read:

Variable pixel scaling including 1:1 integer mode, 4:3 and 5:3. Optional scanlines with various parameters.

AdamT

I've been refreshing all morning in anticipation. I read on their Twitter they have no plans for a SNES version. I can't imagine how much more complicated that would be and increase in cost for such a unit.

Paskil

Ugh, I hope the preorder isn't a tiny number of units because I might miss the listing if the preorder comes up while I'm in meetings today. I assume no one has any idea on the number of units or time for preorder?

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Is there a technical reason why so many of these type of consoles output at 720p but not at 1080p?

It's amazing that this is still considered a niche market. Bruh. All of the folks who played this thing are in their 30s and 40s. They still play games. They have disposable income. And you'd be tapping into their childhood.
Meh - I fit that demographic, and while I'm interested, I'm not $190 (plus more for games) interested - it's more of a "Hm what's my old school frenemy up to" Facebook-stalking interested. Too many other gaming systems out/coming. It's cool, totally, but not massmarket cool IMO.

Moofers

I've had my eye on this for a while. A bit pricey, but then again you can play everything on it unlike the $60 mini-NES that is locked to just 30 games.

Still haven't made up my mind between the two of them. I like that the retroUSB is the actual real hardware and not emulation. However, the mini-NES comes with a lot of the games I think I'd want to play. Hard to argue with retroUSB's compatibility with an Everdrive though. Decisions decisions...

Dunkley

I admit while the NES Mini and the Analogue NT didn't manage to capture me, this truly does interest me for the complete hardware emulation.

$189 is a great price point too, really am considering getting this.

The OCD in me would love for Nintendo to produce a NES/SNES version of this( no, not the mini with preloaded ROMS). Something about seeing that Nintendo seal adds to the layer of authenticity for me.

dcx4610

Been following this for years now. I can't believe it's finally here. It's a little bit more expensive than I was hoping but for everything it does and being true hardware, it's worth it to me.

Top Bottom