• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- RetroUSB AVS - Real Hardware HDMI NES Clone Console

Conezays

I ordered one of these yesterday. I figured it was worth an extra $130 to not deal with the stress of trying to find an NES Mini this holiday.

My NES collection isn't huge, but I have many of my favorites. Having this will definitely motivate me to expand my collection.

Anyone know how long they take to ship?

Congrats! Loving mine...don't hesitate to check out an Everdrive while you're at it. If you're in the US it should take about a couple weeks.

linkboy

Dang, well that's a good question and I wish I'd tried it while I had the thing. Hopefully someone else knows.

I got AVS yesterday (it's awesome). I'll try tomorrow with a Wiimote and the classic controller.

I'll be surprised if it does though.

linkboy

For anyone who is interested, I synch'd my Wiimote up to my AVS using 8bitdo's bluetooth adapter and plugged my SNES classic controller (the one they released via Club Nintendo in Japan).

It works great, buttons map to A and B respectively. It's not the NES controller, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

I love this machine, now if I could only get the two copies of Mario Bros I have to work.

Lynd7

For anyone who is interested, I synch'd my Wiimote up to my AVS using 8bitdo's bluetooth adapter and plugged my SNES classic controller (the one they released via Club Nintendo in Japan).

It works great, buttons map to A and B respectively. It's not the NES controller, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

I love this machine, now if I could only get the two copies of Mario Bros I have to work.

Wow awesome. I didn't think a controller into the Wii Remote would work.

Wonder if SNES or the Genesis will ever see this kind of love ....

Oh man, snes!

Just thinking about it made me pee my pants a little.

Any news on if retroUSB will be doing a SNES or Genesis HDMI console?

Dang. If there was one of these for the SNES I'd jump on it.

$185 is actually more reasonable than I expected, considering the Analogue NT.

Current state of SNES FPGA
https://youtu.be/6yXCgfyMJZo

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I posted this in another thread but I guess I should here also.

Speaking of the AVS, as of last week he's almost sold out of the current run.

liIPRrNl.png

https://twitter.com/retroUSB/status/807213082175041536

Rimshot

81 dollars for shipping with a tracking number and 59 dollars for shipping without a tracking number ;_; To Sweden that is.

Was able to find a friend who wanted one too, made the shipping cost a bit better :)

Dunkley

Game Sack did an episode on the RetroUSB AVS.

They throw a lot of weird stuff at it and were generally really impressed by the results, with the only qualms being the lid with Famicom games, the lack of numbers in the menus and that it doesn't have 1080p output.

Looking however at just what kinda weird stuff they put into the console it's really impressive just how well it manages to handle all sorts of carts both official, unofficial and everything inbetween.

Lettuce

Yeah they should of made the cart flap the same size as the NES original console flap and then they could of moved the Famicom game slot further back (past where the small flap would be) and then have a flap for the Famicom cart slot like the Famicom AV system has, would of be a lot neater

Khaz

Yeah they should of made the cart flap the same size as the NES original console flap and then they could of moved the Famicom game slot further back (past where the small flap would be) and then have a flap for the Famicom cart slot like the Famicom AV system has, would of be a lot neater

Or just have the flap smaller so that it doesn't hang awkwardly on a famicom cart. This design has bothered me since the original announcement.

Pre-Ordered this thing, pretty excited for something paired with an Everdrive to have a good "all in one" setup (that's not an emulator box) for NES / Famicom games without having too many things plugged in, and keeping all of my games in good condition.

Game Sack did an episode on the RetroUSB AVS.

They throw a lot of weird stuff at it and were generally really impressed by the results, with the only qualms being the lid with Famicom games, the lack of numbers in the menus and that it doesn't have 1080p output.

Yeah, they liked it for the most part. People tend to get hung up on the 1080p support but it's not a big deal. 720p is a perfect scale of 240p. You can't get that with 1080p output. I guess if your TV had a shitty scaler then it could be an issue but for most people 720p is as good as you need for NES games.

Also, I noticed that their unit was running beta firmware with palette support so I went looking and installed that firmware myself. The official AVS page doesn't mention or link to the beta firmwares but it's on RetroUSB's site: https://retrousb.com/downloads/

The latest version there is 1.20b7. The official page only has 1.10.

Rimshot

Does anyone have the AVS here that also has a mix of PAL and NTSC games? Does it automatically switch settings depending on the cart? Or are there settings you need to switch in a menu every time?

Galdelico

Does anyone have the AVS here that also has a mix of PAL and NTSC games? Does it automatically switch settings depending on the cart? Or are there settings you need to switch in a menu every time?

I think there's a specific option in the menu, to set the output to 50hz or PAL.

Speaking of PAL... Still no way to order/preorder this thing from Europe, without having to deal with ridiculous customs fees, I guess? U_U

Yeah, they liked it for the most part. People tend to get hung up on the 1080p support but it's not a big deal. 720p is a perfect scale of 240p. You can't get that with 1080p output. I guess if your TV had a shitty scaler then it could be an issue but for most people 720p is as good as you need for NES games.

The problem with 720p is that there's no way to display it integer scaled* on an HDTV with an accurate looking stretch. The image will either be way too skinny (1.0 PAR) or a way too stretched (1.33). With 1080p output you can get a more accurate looking 1.25 or 1.20 stretch integer scale (using either 4x height by 5x width, or 5x height by 6x width, respectively). The 5x by 6x option cuts off 5% of the top/bottom, which is exactly the area of the screen you don't want to see as it's the overscan area on CRTs and has mostly garbage. So you get a screen filling integer scaled image with almost perfect PAR.

* Integer scaling is important for smooth scrolling in many games

And as an added bonus with 1080p you avoid the TVs 720p->1080p upscale, which can introduce lag.

so this is better than the Analogue NT mini? i want to RGB my nes to a BVM so i'm still deciding.

The AVS is cheaper, yes. But the Nt mini adds many significant features. Whether they are important enough to justify the cost is up to you. The AVS only outputs HDMI, so if you want RGB you'll need to either go with modified original hardware or an Nt.

FWIW, I own the AVS and just received an Nt mini. I haven't had a chance to open the Nt mini yet.

NT Mini has the 1080p and RGB output if youre into that, but its also much more expensive.

It adds a ton of other features as well, but I won't list them all here. I'm mainly excited about the 5x height by 6x width output, wireless on/off/reset, ability to access the menu without resetting the game, and user defined color palettes. Having the ability to output RGB, s-video and composite is a nice bonus.

Rimshot

I think there's a specific option in the menu, to set the output to 50hz or PAL.

Speaking of PAL... Still no way to order/preorder this thing from Europe, without having to deal with ridiculous customs fees, I guess? U_U

I think not, just to pull down the pants and get ready to clinch :/

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Posted this in NT Mini thread so I'll post it here as well to see if I can get a different set of opinions:

I keep flip-flopping between the Nt mini and AVS and I'm honestly not sure what to get.

I'm leaning towards the AVS, as It helps that the it's almost a third of the price right now, for one, and I feel like the Nt mini has more features than I'll ever need, use, or even understand how to use.

Does anyone have both that can offer me a bit of sage advice?

For the record, I have a fairly standard 1080p HDTV and don't have a need for RGB output as I don't have display capable of such things.

Posted this in NT Mini thread so I'll post it here as well to see if I can get a different set of opinions:

I keep flip-flopping between the Nt mini and AVS and I'm honestly not sure what to get.

I'm leaning towards the AVS, as It helps that the it's almost a third of the price right now, for one, and I feel like the Nt mini has more features than I'll ever need, use, or even understand how to use.

For the record, I have a fairly standard 1080p HDTV and don't have a need for RGB output as I don't have display capable of such things.

You aren't going to go wrong with the AVS. Of course the Nt mini is a fantastic device, but at triple the cost, the extra features have to be really something you have to be sure you can't live without.

I have a AVS and I love it. I play it on a 4K TV and its a fantastic way to play my old carts.

Rimshot

Depends on when you want the machine I say. I have been waiting forever for the AVS it feels like. The latest update on their Facebook page stated that there was no update. More delays just :(

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Locking Scoreboard behind a forum that doesn't allow immediate account activation is bullshit. I want to start uploading scores NOW, dammit.

Also, I noticed that their unit was running beta firmware with palette support so I went looking and installed that firmware myself. The official AVS page doesn't mention or link to the beta firmwares but it's on RetroUSB's site: https://retrousb.com/downloads/

The latest version there is 1.20b7. The official page only has 1.10.

720p is terrible unless you have a 4k TV.

720p is terrible unless you have a 4k TV.

When I first got the AVS, I was using it on a 1080p 50" Toshiba TV and had zero complaint of how the image looked. I recently bought a 55 LG Oled 4K television, and now want to try it on that machine. The AVS and the Mini NT are both awesome pieces of tech.

When I first got the AVS, I was using it on a 1080p 50" Toshiba TV and had zero complaint of how the image looked. I recently bought a 55 LG Oled 4K television, and now want to try it on that machine. The AVS and the Mini NT are both awesome pieces of tech.

To be fair I just hate what 720p to 1080p does to simulated scanlines because the scale isn't on an integer multiple. Chunky pixel mode looks fine.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So it's been over two weeks since I registered at NintendoAge and I haven't got a response yet. At what point do I just stop waiting and try to register again?

Can anyone suggest the best way to reach RetroUSB about a broken AVS? My power plug just came right off the board. I tried email and Twitter, and have gotten no response

dolabla

Can anyone suggest the best way to reach RetroUSB about a broken AVS? My power plug just came right off the board. I tried email and Twitter, and have gotten no response

How long has it been since you contacted them? Email should work. If I remember correctly, it took them about 2-3 days to respond to me via email. I contacted them last year to exchange my launch unit for one that has the port issue and pin connector issue fixed. It hadn't broken off yet, but it is an inevitable issue so I thought I might ask them if they would exchange it and they agreed.

Krathoon

I just fired up this console today and I had a weird problem getting my carts from Ebay to work. It think the cartridge slot had to be broken in. I kept trying carts and TMNT Arcade cart worked. After that, I tried the carts that didn't work again and they worked. You really have to push on the end of cart in the center to get it in there.

Krathoon

I got Popeye working, that was great. That Ebay cart was pretty funky. I cleaned it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.

Top Bottom