• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk

Banned
Odysseus said:
Are you out of your mind? Non-gamers being interested in this?

Time to grow a clue: Non-gamers aren't going to care about games, it doesn't matter what you throw at them. Either they are inclined to play or they aren't. And if they ever do get involved, it will be with what is popular, not with what is gimmicky. You want the market to grow? Enjoy your PS3.

You do realise that 40% of ds owners are girls right?

Deku

Banned
Monk said:
You do realise that 40% of ds owners are girls right?

I don't think he does. I made an analogy early to GAF being like the Senate of ROME staffed by nobles and aristocrats speaking austensibly for the people but really only talking about their own narrow interests. 1up was wrong. We're not a sewage canal. We're just a giant elitist talking shop. Actually, the UN might come pretty close too.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The genius of Nintendo lies in the fact that while I'd want to get an X360 for the future of games, it would still be really nice to have a 5-in-1 Nintendo system. So depending on the price of the system and game downloads I might still get a Revolution.

Dave Long

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Yep, because gaming has been fuckin' STELLAR these last 10 years under the Sony Administration, and even the ol' Xduder has been bringin' the hits in.

The point is that good game design doesn't depend on control gimmicks, and the folks who DO look to gimmicks to stave their flagging sense of entertainment probably haven't been into games these last years for reasons of personal pride and company loyalty rather than, I dunno, A LOVE OF THE MEDIUM.

Dude, give it up. Your posts show your firm roots in yesteryear while it's clear the industry is changing every single day. Are you going to hang yourself when some new control method catches on and completely overwhelms the gamepad? It's bound to happen someday. I'll get the condolences card for your wife now if you are this worried.

Good game design is found anywhere game systems exist, regardless of the control method. New control methods however, DO offer the potential for entirely new good game design. They also might bring in new players who previously would have ignored games entirely. I think that's what you're really afraid of, having games that don't match up with your predetermined genre ideals suddenly become popular enough to send those games to the backburner.

Either that or you're just trolling for trolling's sake.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Drinky Crow said:
Kioku, and look how well Castlevania is selling! Man, having those non-gamers buy a DS sure makes it great for the real gamers, eh?

What do I know, you're the smart one.
I get my games, tons of them, amongst various systems. If I want to play some sort of game, I can. It's nice. If I want to rub a dog's ass until my DS melts, I can. And now if I want to wave a wand infront of my TV like a dickhead, I get the opportunity to! Holy shit and if it isn't fun, I'll put it down and stop buying games. When my enjoyment dwindles from gaming, I'll go do something else.
Are you saying that the NDS is gonna turn into unit entirely lacking of actual games? Then I stop buying anything for it because I don't want to, and then I play games on the PSP or for fuck sake's whatever is out. And I'm sure other people will too. And then the non-gamers are happy with their NDS's with their screensavers, and we can all go back to insulting them behind their backs and feeling better about ourselves, right?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
if Sony would have come up with the remote controller, imagine Drinky and Odysseus reaction.

edit: let me add Odysseus too.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
All these people complaining about Nintendo always going for "Gimmicks" should toss their dual shocks and xbox pads out the window. Have fun controlling Halo with 2 d pads :D

Deku

Banned
Error2k4 said:
if Sony would have come up with the remote controller, imagine Drinky's reaction.

Drinky wouldn't react. although he may react now that I've said he wouldn't or would he? That's a pickle, no doubt about it. Now have a candy.

The others on the board though will probably try to avoid giving Nintendo credit.

Merlin

Banned
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but this is exactly what Nintendo have been babbling about for months. They want 'non-gamers' to be able to play it with ease, and what do 99% of people in the developed world know how to use (and are comfortable with)? Exactly, a tv remote.

Red Scarlet

koam said:
Everyone seems to have skipped the most important aspect of this controller.

YOU CAN SHUT OFF THE CONSOLE USING THE CONTROLLER!

I can see that so happening at an inopportune time, go klutz!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Doc Holliday said:
All these people complaining about Nintendo always going for "Gimmicks" should toss their dual shocks and xbox pads out the window. Have fun controlling Halo with 2 d pads :D

:lol If somehow someone made a first person shooter that was playable across all platforms, the Xbox360 players and PS3 players would be absolutely owned by the Revolution players, due to the accuracy and acrobatics allowed by it's controller.

It's true :)

Tellaerin

BuddyC said:
I like that so many are forgetting that Revolution is backwards compatible.

That's all well and good, but I'd like to see new games developed for the system that don't force me to wave my controller around and pretend I'm swinging a sword. :p (What's next, having to somersault around your living room to use the morph ball in Metroid Revolution? :/ ) There's no guarantee that these games will even be playable with a conventional controller, despite the fact that there's a port for one.

GDGF said:
Learning a new control scheme (as long as it is pretty intutitve, and judging by hands on reports this seems to be) is always fun. Were you ever an arcade goer? Remember when a new fighting game would come out, and everyone would rush to it at once, scrambling to be the best on the block? It was a blast.

Yes, but you were building on what you already knew. 'Dude, try a reverse dragon punch with a kick and see if something comes out. No? Shit. Alright, maybe charge back, then forward and a kick?', etc. It wasn't like, 'Oh, a new fighting game - and this one, you have to play by waving a wand around in the air!' Maybe the whole 'levelling the playing field' thing is welcome if you're somebody who does a lot of competitive multiplayer stuff with non-gamer types, but I'm not really into party games, or any other sort of competitive console gaming outside of fighters (PC FPS's are a different story). So all this does for me is to render my acquired skill in single-player games obsolete, effectively turning me into a noob again and forcing me to learn an entirely new method of control before I can begin enjoying whatever Nintendo cooks up next for Metroid, Zelda, etc.

I struggled with a $99 gyration mouse for the PC that absolutely stunk in responsveness and precision for a year. I hardly doubt Nintendo will stuff a better gyration technology in a cheaper controller.

I'm passing on the Rev unless the gyro in the Rev controller surprises me with it's responsiveness and precision (fat chance).

GDGF

Soothsayer
sammy said:
Heh, I remember people having these same negative reactions to Analog sticks :lol

Ain't it the truth!

'Analog is too hard to use in a racing game! Tap tap turning is all I need!'

raYne

Doc Holliday said:
There's a controller with two d-pads now?
Drinky Crow banned? wow
Yes.. yes he is....
fake tag

Deku

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
If Sony had pulled this, I'd be pulling for the Xdude Tree-Sitty as the ONE CONSOLE FUTURE.

What if both Sony and MS pulled this like they did with the Wavebird and analog stick?

I don't understand the Nintendo trolling at all...
Its not like Sony or MS had nothing amazing to keep them busy?

or is hating Nintendo better than what Sony/MS had to offer?

Love them or Hate them NINTENDO OWNS GAF :D

Dracos

Shogmaster said:
I struggled with a $99 gyration mouse for the PC that absolutely stunk in responsveness and precision for a year. I hardly doubt Nintendo will stuff a better gyration technology in a cheaper controller.

I'm passing on the Rev unless the gyro in the Rev controller surprises me with it's responsiveness and precision (fat chance).

Reading is fundamental.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Shogmaster said:

Read the impressions. It sounds incredibly precise, especially for FPS games.

Error

Shogmaster said:

DEMO: BLOCK BUSTER
A firing-range-like contest where two players compete to see who can shoot randomly appearing squares first. Aiming is done by pointing the controller itself at different points on screen, pulling the B trigger to fire.
IMPRESSIONS: A great demonstration of how intuitive the controller can be-pointing it to aim felt perfectly natural, right from the very first second, just like with a light gun. It always shot exactly where it felt like I was aiming, and was incredibly responsive to even slight wrist movements-I barely had to move my hand at all.

ZOMG reading is actually... good and it works!

Odysseus

Banned
Error2k4 said:
if Sony would have come up with the remote controller, imagine Drinky and Odysseus reaction.

edit: let me add Odysseus too.

First of all, I'm closer to an Xbot.

Secondly, it doesn't matter who came up with this one. It is terrible and it's not going to work. The market doesn't care about Nintendo, and it certainly won't change it's mind with this remote controller. But good luck attracting non-gamers to this thing, and I'm sure Sony and Microsoft appreciate Nintendo not even trying to get back the 100+ million people that already care about this particular hobby.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
"waaaaahhhh my arms are going to get tired"

I am le tired :*(

you guys are a bunch of pussies.

OniShiro

Banned
Ah, I see, hadn't noticed :)

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I like the rev controller, I think it can be really cool if properly used in games.

Will Nintendo show any rev game footage at the TGS?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Tellaerin said:
Yes, but you were building on what you already knew. 'Dude, try a reverse dragon punch with a kick and see if something comes out. No? Shit. Alright, maybe charge back, then forward and a kick?', etc. It wasn't like, 'Oh, a new fighting game - and this one, you have to play by waving a wand around in the air!' Maybe the whole 'levelling the playing field' thing is welcome if you're somebody who does a lot of competitive multiplayer stuff with non-gamer types, but I'm not really into party games, or any other sort of competitive console gaming outside of fighters (PC FPS's are a different story). So all this does for me is to render my acquired skill in single-player games obsolete, effectively turning me into a noob again and forcing me to learn an entirely new method of control before I can begin enjoying whatever Nintendo cooks up next for Metroid, Zelda, etc.

You will be building on what you know already, though. The nunchuck controller is nothing more than a 3D mouse. You can use the skills you've learned through countless hours of FPS gaming, but you now have the added benefits of near instantaneous response and greater accuracy. It's not going to be nearly as hard as it seems. You've just got to think it through a bit. :)

Krowley

siege said:
It looks interesting in a I'd like to try it out once sort of way. Defintely not something I'm looking forward to buying though. Nintendo really are a toy maker now - that much is sure.

the system does not look like a toy IMO. it looks sleeker and more high tech than the other two... very "mature" looking system if looks are important..

do you think it's a toy just because you have to move around a little bit to use it... the impressions suggest it is extremly precise and requires tiny movements.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
With this console and controller, you've got possibilties brand new gaming experiences, yet retaining the option for the same old control styles. This system is more versital than any console before it. Nintendo isn't carving out a niche, they've expanding the target audience. I don't get the outrage (I do when considering the source).

Shogmaster said:

ign, gamepsot, 1-up, edge all stated the respone was great and need light wrist flicks they also stated that it felt better than FPS controls on PC.

GDGF

Soothsayer
...and a post from NetMapel showing the new controller's appeal to the neo gamer.

NetMapel said:
While I do have some doubts about the new controller, I thought the idea behind it is very interesting and refreshing. I just showed the video to my two female roommates who aren't really interested in games. Guess what, they were very excited and really love the idea. I can see the whole untapped market Nintendo was talking about now !

neptunes

Yeah, the more you think about it the more you see the potential, it just has to be used right.

Whether or not 3rd party devs use it to it's full potential is still undecided.

How will the next mario play?

Auron

Umm... This controller could be pretty cool. In any case, I think I will finally be able to convince my mom to buy a game system.

Error

Nintendo should use that video showing the controller as a commercial now.

Dracos

So it sounds like Nighttrain was right about what he saw. But he made a few statements as well about there being more than just the controller didn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom