• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S2 |OT| Wubba Lubba Dub Dub - Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So an English speaking alien race with an idol TV show is okay, but them visiting Earth in 2015 is where you draw the line?

I think you're missing the point. What we have here is the distinction of implausibility from a plot/writing/drama context vs the distinction of implausibility from a world-building/lore context.

The context that precipitates the main plot in Get Schwifty seems a little too disconnected from the main characters, relative to how the plot is set up in other episodes.

This is entirely separate from the concept of crazy shit happening as part of their universe. This is a staple element of the show.

In other words,

an English speaking alien race with an idol TV show
vs
them visiting Earth in 2015

are different elements. The former being the accepted ridiculousness of the scifi/fantasy lore of this show and the latter being one of the plot devices that drive the story forward.

Don't get the weak episode comments, I enjoyed the entire episode way more than the last. Total Rickall was more nonsense and random then this episode.

Sou Da

Yeah this episode brought the question to the forefront I was hoping the show would avoid for me.

Why isn't the government doing the things Rick is? Why isn't Earth in a Space Age?

Unfortunately I think I already know the answer.

impirius

I wasn't really feeling this episode. The combination of "town gets obsessed with something" and "main characters are suddenly hanging out with famous humans" gave it kind of a latter-day Simpsons vibe. That brings Rick and Morty's average down to an A+ for me

All you guys 'complaining' about the alien heads are way too hard trying to grasp to a bigger picture. While I see your point, I just take an episode like this as the writers playing around with goofy ideas that do not fit in with the style of other episodes, yes, but are just too good to be dropped (guilty pleasure?).

Also, with all the multi-dimensional time travel stuff that is going on in the series, you could easily explain your way out of giant alien heads hitting earth for an Idol TV show.

I'm surprised at people saying this is the worst ep of the show. Season 1, whilst being great, had a few eps that weren't anywhere near the quality of anything in season 2 imo.
Season 2 so far has been an improvement over what was already a brilliant show.

SalvaPot

I liked the episode, the premise was good and the songs are instant classics.

Also did anyone notice how Morty pretty much disobeyed Rick and went on his own for a while? And then when talking to birdperson he learned to have more gate in Rick, you know what that is? Character development. In a series with testicle aliens.

I think this is one of those episodes that are slower because they setup plotpoints to exploit later on.

Stoze

I'm surprised at people saying this is the worst ep of the show. Season 1, whilst being great, had a few eps that weren't anywhere near the quality of anything in season 2 imo.
Season 2 so far has been an improvement over what was already a brilliant show.

I disagree. I re-watched season 1 just before season 2, and I thought this episode was easily the worst of the series. It moved way too fast, was missing the clever jokes, b-plot fell flat, and just wasn't as entertaining as other episodes. Everyone says Anatomy Park was the worst of season 1, and I enjoyed that much more than this episode.

That said the rest of the season has been phenomenal.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They posted the full version of Get Schwifty on facebook: https://soundcloud.com/wmstrecs/get-schwifty-full-track-1

Hello new ringtone.

All you guys 'complaining' about the alien heads are way too hard trying to grasp to a bigger picture. While I see your point, I just take an episode like this as the writers playing around with goofy ideas that do not fit in with the style of other episodes, yes, but are just too good to be dropped (guilty pleasure?).

Also, with all the multi-dimensional time travel stuff that is going on in the series, you could easily explain your way out of giant alien heads hitting earth for an Idol TV show.

Planet that is literally shit, asses and toilet paper trees is OK tho. Giant alien heads? Preposterous.

Kinyou

"You know what I like to eat."
"Don't be gross, Tammy."
Tammy likes it kinky. From the first season

kjgg37s84.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
Yeah this episode brought the question to the forefront I was hoping the show would avoid for me.

Why isn't the government doing the things Rick is? Why isn't Earth in a Space Age?

Unfortunately I think I already know the answer.

Don't think Rick is willing to cooparate with them, and they seemed surprised when he showed up, but i do hope after this ep plotlines about the government trying to snag R&M start happening.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This show is basically Doctor Who to me. And like the Doctor, Rick clearly doesn't want anything to do with the government, And also like Doctor Who, weird stuff happens to Earth sometimes, but life goes on for the average human. Well I guess the Who Earthlings never got Cronenberged.

Squalor

Episode had a ton of quotable, but it didn't hold up well overall.

7/10 by Rick and Morty's ridiculously high standards.

HariKari

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
All of you people that didn't like the episode ought to get schwifty

I don't recall anyone saying that they outright disliked the episode. It was more of a "okay, but not up to the usually high standards of other great episodes".

It seems like most people thought the episode was at least decent.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Tammy likes it kinky. From the first season

kjgg37s84.jpg

So wait considering birdperson doesn't know what Human's eat and she lived there for a while and said she's been eating birdperson's dick..... was the joke that she's been surviving off of birdperson's semen?

PSqueak

Banned
So wait considering birdperson doesn't know what Human's eat and she lived there for a while and said she's been eating birdperson's dick..... was the joke that she's been surviving off of birdperson's semen?

Tammy probably prepares her own food, while bird person doesn't know how to cook for humans.

Geist-

There's never been a bad R&M but this was the worst this season I think. I mean, nothing devastatingly depressing this time? I need my weekly dose of feels!

Good episode. Who does the voice of the president. He sounds very familiar.

Keith David. Also known as Captain Anderson from Mass Effect, and also became a part of the main cast of Community recently as well.

Richie

I'm gonna have to disagree with GAF's consensus (an AV Club's it seems) and say that this was a pretty enjoyable episode, had several laughs all the way through from the absurdity of it all, the subplot allowed for more interaction from the town's secondary characters (which, I was surprised when I realized, hadn't been at all active this season until now). Sure, it didn't reach the series' ridiculously high standards, but anything short of the best episode ever would have paled in comparison to last week's comic masterpiece.

On the critique of the heads appearing out of nowhere...I mean, it's pretty clear they like to select random planets and subject their entire population to their stupid reality show whims. It just so happened that it was Earth's turn. Why would they need a reason to arrive, let alone one that satisfies humans?

My defense and genuine enjoyment of the main body of the episode aside, I didn't care much for that post-credits scene, except for that awesome GAF shouthout.

Weakest episode in the series for me is still Anatomy Park. Great main plot dragged by an uninteresting, boring subplot that doesn't deliver.

So I know a third season has been ordered, so they're probably at least good, but I gotta ask.

How has this show actually been doing ratings wise?

Pachinko

I think the internet got rick drunk after last weeks AMAZING episode and expected it to somehow get topped. Instead we still got a half hour of pretty damn good animated TV by almost any metric. Was it a touch more uneven than most other episodes ? yeah. Was it still funny ? Yeah. I actually ended up watching it twice in a mini marathon at a friends place and it was a bit better on a second viewing.

We can't have a Mr Poopy Butthole episode every week. That's just impossible.

Mariolee

People who liked this episode keep trying to explain why others are so down on this episode, but if these other people have legitimate qualms about the episode why try to explain it away with the problem being we expect too much from this show? If you liked it, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom