• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

Buckle

Hoping Beth and Jerry actually don't get back together.

Would be pleasantly surprised if they avoid the cliche and actually stick with the divorce.

A lot of shows play up the "they're so comically bad together they should just seperate" angle but this might be the first one I've seen actually go through with it.

It's what the doctor said in Pickle Rick. Him taking the universe for a ride is him being the master of his own universe, and waiting for it to throw him off is his brain rotting by his own hand.

It's a damn shame that Rick has the ability to create and manufacture millions of utopian societies and this is what he choses to do because he cant reconcile his emotions with his world view

The show doesn't exactly say anything that contradicts Rick though.

Its not like it needs to do that

The universe experiences itself by eating itself.

Doesnt change the emotional response we have of love.

And Rick ultimately fucked up by not loving his people outwardly.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah but he is cool. Pickle Rick!
In that very same episode Rick and Beth reject the one person who's smart enough to actually be able to try to help not oly them but also Rick and Summer. This is while they were ignoring what was pretty much cries for help that both of his grandkids were giving.

I don't know how anyone would want to be like Rick unless they didn't give more than half a second of thought to the show.

That wasn't nessesarily a response to you by the way, merely discussing the point you brought up of the way some people view Rick.

PSqueak

Banned
I don't know how anyone would want to be like Rick unless they didn't give more than half a second of thought to the show.

"this guy is a total piece of shit, like me! but he gets way with everything because he's so smart and his nihilistic world view is because he's smart, therefore i am smart! and just like Rick im justified on my terrible choices, because im smart! PICKLE RICK!"

Basically this is their train of thought.

Rick is a power fantasy through and through. I think it's impossible to deny that actually. He's an unstoppable nigh invincible impossibly smart ubermench, who destroys whatever annoys him without impunity. Sure he's toxic, vulgar, abrasive and depressed, but so are most action heroes.

But most importantly? He's always right. Always. Even when he fucks up and makes things worse, it's for comedic value, and the universe of the show quickly warps to make whatever he messed up completely justified. Any and all misery he suffers is only a temporary stopgap. The show offers no meaningful counterpoint to anything Rick stands for outside of Jerry, and Jerry is a spineless small minded hypocritical dipshit who cowtowed to the aliens when Rick sacrificed himself.

Now, thinking about all this, do you really think the show would stop dead in its tracks to have this character deliver a spiel about his worldview without any counterpoint, and expect your takeaway to be "Rick is totally wrong"? Why? He's not wrong about anything else. How was this speech anymore toxic than Morty's "nothing matters, go watch tv" from interdimensional cable?

Honestly though, there's this video from Lauryn Hill that perfectly highlights the ills behind the phenomena that is Rick

https://www.facebook.com/TianaNicoleBurse/videos/vb.157965077602156/1002824089782913/?type=2&theater

"this guy is a total piece of shit, like me! but he gets way with everything because he's so smart and his nihilistic world view is because he's smart, therefore i am smart! and just like Rick im justified on my terrible choices, because im smart! PICKLE RICK!"

Basically this is their train of thought.

Those people are actually Jerry's

They're the Jerry's of the world who are incapable of doing any meaningful self reflection and reconciling their general shittiness with what's being tackled on camera lol

Thats why Jerry wants to like Rick.

Jerry's lack critical thinking skills and they need the actual ricks of the universe to cover for their asses so they can survive. Rick's pity Jerry's. Because ultimately a Rick could in a another lifetime, be a Jerry.

A rick who pities a rick with no critical thinking skills.

Sociopaths often think they are the smartest people in the room, and are devoted solely to there own needs and pleasures, without empathy. Rick's speech is consistent with his characterization, and I don't read anything more into it than that.

Rick's family is completely fucked up in multiple universes, by his own doing. He abandoned a Beth, Jerry and Summer with a world full of monsters. His own grandson wants to kill him, so he has to wipe his memory to keep him docile. His daughter apparently is a sociopathic murder machine (animal surgery =? Animal mutilation plus the horrific hoof sculpture could have been hints to that).

Rick may be the smartest man in the universe, but he's a complete failure as a human being, and the show is quite clear on that. Edgelords that worship Rick as an ideal clearly lack the critical thinking skills to pick up on that.

Rick has the capacity to care, yet he cant muster up enough empathy to really get to the heart of life. Or deal with his problems head on.

Considering how crazy Beth is, I bet Rick has some strange chemical balance going on in his DNA.

Who is Beth's Mother btw?

Yes, but unless I am blocking something from my memory, the show so far has been smart enough to either show that as a consequence of the sci-fi concepts, especially multiverse travel, which does not bridge directly into our world, or as a consequence of Rick being a drunk idiot, or just as a simple joke in a cartoon.

To me one of the fun aspects of the show is precisely how it plays on ethics in absurd contexts in a way that we can't judge if Rick is good or evil because his enviroment is entirely other. A lot of "wrong" things do become meaningless in the specific context of "what about the universe where Hitler cures cancer?" but you obviously can't apply that to the real world and so it become a fun intellectual ride in a fun intelligent show.

I think what bothers me about Rick's speech in this episode is that is completely lacked anything that is either fun or intelligent. And when you are talking about how it is ok to try to murder people because it is all bullshit anyway, it doesn't come across as a tragic realization (like when Morty does the "let's go watch TV" speech) or as an over the top joke (like Rick's rant in the end of episode 1 of this season), it felt teenager in a way the show has avoided so far.

Humans as a species are sophomores though. We cant escape this reality without working through it together.

Yes, admitting, but not learning. He's in total control of this. The actual revelation comes from Beth, who realizes that her indictments of her father are toothless and impotent (because every indictment of Rick's character is toothless and impotent) and that his way of doing things is best. And it's only after this revelation that Beth earns the right to spend some time with her father. That's the lesson of this episode, and most of the series; Rick may be a shitty person, but he's right. Always right.

Rick's speech at the end was not something to be disagreed with. Rick & Morty very much subscribes to the notion that the universe is inherently meaningless, chaotic, and unfeeling. Only you as the individual have the power to make your own meaning. Rick realizes this, and as such is an ideal.

Again, Morty said this exact same thing to Summer at the end of Interdimensional Cable. Why is Rick saying it supposed to be bad?

Rick is always right sure, but the key to life is not always being right.

Thats what rick shows. you can always be right, but what good is that if you're fucking miserable 24/7? He isnt growing.

Jerry - "Now you're gonna help me, right?"
Morty - "She just did."
Summer - "Yeah, clean up your own mess."

That bit got me good. Otherwise probably my least favorite episode of the season on a first watch. Felt like we got two B plots rather than an A and a B.

How were you not laughing at all the crap Beth had Rick make for her? LOL

Not really on board with retconning Beth into a child murderer.
There's no retconning going on.

Nine more seasons until Rick gets that sauce.

Then and only then will he let the madness end.

He's gonna kill himself for sure

Maximo

Yep, that's what it looked like. The real Beth is probably out 'discovering herself' and when she comes back she'll want to reunite her entire family (including Jerry).

They will probably never reference it again and leave it up to the audience.

MC Safety

Not really on board with retconning Beth into a child murderer.

None of the characters in Rick and Morty season three is remotely likeable.

The revelation that Beth had her own playworld to protect the other children is just the last piece of the puzzle.

I'll watch the show because it's still amusing in places. But it's harder and harder to do so knowing every single one of the characters is rotten. Not flawed, mind, actually rotten.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeh. I feel it'll be similar to Evil Morty. They won't bother referencing it again until they have a use for the plot point. Be it next season or after the next.

Yep, watch out for a masked vigilante saving Morty and Summer later. Scarred Beth who has had multiple run ins with that villain of the week. Make her come back and be a more capable Rick. Writes itself.

Sarcasm

Did I watch the same thing I can not find any info on this Rick speech. I only remember Morty's speech.

Not like it is being answered here anyways.

Buckle

Was pretty happy to finally get a Rick and Beth episode and explore more of the demented dad side of Rick.

Rick treats Morty and Summer like friends he goes to hang out at a bar with 90% of the time but he seems to actually make more effort (even if just a lil bit) in acting more like family around her. Even as screwed up as their relationship still is.

I'm basically just fascinated in anything that explores what Rick's family dynamic was like before he left them for 20 years.

Did I watch the same thing I can not find any info on this Rick speech. I only remember Morty's speech.

Not like it is being answered here anyways.

I think the Rick speech people are talking about comes from this episode, when he's talking to Beth about "being smart"? It didn't seem too far out of the ordinary for it to register for me that much, though.

beat

I just don’t get why people expect a real character arc from the show.

The show has made it clear that through memory erasing, clones and alternate universes none of the characters will ever learn anything from their experiences.

Hell we don’t know if this is C137 Rick we see every episode.

The entire premise of the show is that Rick returned to his family. Sure, he says it’s because he needs Morty's camouflaging brainwaves, but this is Rick. He couldn’t build a brainwave concealing helmet?

rekameohs

Banned
something I can't stand when people start speculating is when based on evidence that can be interpreted many ways they swear up and down based on absolutely nothing their interpretation is correct.
They even go out of their way to tell us that a Beth clone and the real Beth are functionally identical.

They even go out of their way to tell us that a Beth clone and the real Beth are functionally identical.

on both ends of that spectrum.

Like the guy who is now swearing how the reason there is proof is because rick was struggling to say I love you to Beth before, and said it much easier later on because as a clone it doesn't matter.

Like... what?

beat

Still no poopybutthole in season 3 :(
Only 1 episode left
He actually had a non-vocal cameo in the memory episode proposing to morty.
img_0013ulbgu.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Beth is Rick with the albatross of Jerry and her family, as well as her own resentment towards her father. I don't think she has his genius but she does have his mild contempt for everyone around her. Her neurosis comes from the conflict between this and what she feels is the "normal" family structure, which goes back to Rick's parenting or lack thereof.

It's pretty standard stuff you'd encounter in therapy, the idea of "normalcy".

Sblargh

Banned
Speaking of therapy, the only thing that can redeem this whole thing for me is in the context or the characters being told very specifically that they use intelligence to justify sickness and then they go and do that to the letter when being a child serial killer becomes "you are smart".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I want to visit therapist lady again. It definitely feels like finale material for the family to go back there, sans Jerry.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In an infinite multiverse every action, no matter how profoundly good or evil, is infinitely unimportant. This is Rick's reality, and why he is essentially a fucked-up God.

zeemumu

Maybe not.

But the show absolutely makes it clear that we should want to be like Rick.

No, it doesn't. The show makes it absolutely clear that Rick's way of thinking is self-destructive and ultimately a waste of potential, and the toxicity of his way of thinking leaked to his daughter and grandchildren, prompting sociopathic and/or psychotic behavior. We weren't supposed to root for Kratos, we weren't supposed to root for Walter, and we're not supposed to root for Rick.

Oh crap, all the stuff where Mr. Poopybutthole was in the intro of the show, those were bad memories. They were letting us know the whole time.

Top Bottom