• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Driftopia trailer (Free-to-play PSN/PC)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't know what they've done with Ridge Racer but it no longer looks like Ridge Racer. It's a shame.

If the franchise wasn't officially dead, it is now.

The last one worth playing was Ridge Racers 2 on PSP, and that didn't even come to North America.

F2P would make a lot of sense for normal Ridge Racer, buuuuuuut this is pretty blatant recycling of Unbounded. On the face of it, anyway.

Domstercool

Looks like they are reusing the unbounded engine to get more money from it. I'm willing to check this out. I liked unbounded.

Still want my true Ridge Racer though! Where are you Ridge Racer 8!

Torgo

Why can't they just do a Ridge Racer game like back in the PS1 days, instead of this derivative bullshit? I'll probably still play it though...

1-D_FTW

looks like unbounded, free is too much to ask

Exactly what I was thinking. Looks like they went and made Unbounded a F2P game. Which isn't appealing, because I'm sure the original has been on sale for 5 dollars, and the demo convinced me it just wasn't worth my time.

Talon

ridge_racer_post.jpg

Ploid 3.0

I will download it on PS2 and PC!! Not all f2p games suck, I'm still playing Path of Exile, Tera, and I hear Planet Side 2 is good. I downloaded Phantasy Star Online 2 yesterday, it's supposed to be interesting.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
There's already a better Ridge Racer on PC. It's called Trackmania 2 Canyon and practically no one plays it. :(

Anyways, this could be alright, I guess. The track creation tools in Unbounded seemed pretty robust and the demo played well enough. It just wasn't inspiring enough for me to want to pay for it.

It's tough these days for a racing game fan who loves drifting.

Driving through regular city grid roads sucks ass. Call me when Ridge Racer gets real race tracks back. This looks like all the other racing games. Fucking depressing.

Skyzard

Banned
Interesting, after their recent Vita release with the dlc model (and shitty single player in comparison to recent games) I thought they'd go more traditional but free-to-play sounds like a great idea.

I only really enjoy Ridge Racer on handhelds these days though tbh - the mechanics are too arcade and simple to bother booting up a system for - unless it's for lots online maybe.

Skyzard

Banned
Oh its based off Unbounded.

Is that a good thing?

Graphics wise- sure, the free-to-play crowd probably won't care too much anyway about the drifting style - I'd like it a little more RR like though. Hopefully they'd have the sense to not make the SP (if there is any) as hard as Unbounded though.

Oh its based off Unbounded.

Is that a good thing?

In practice it's not bad, I just think traditional Ridge Racer fits the F2P model better, especially with Namco's insistence on not making new tracks. They could just release a F2P base game and do microtransactions for decals and shit. IDK.

Top Bottom