• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Driftopia trailer (Free-to-play PSN/PC)

I must be the only person who liked Unbounded, it was the kick in the ass the series needed.

Some of the worst AI rubberbanding I've encountered in any game. Ever. It was just shocking how bad it was.

Apart from that, it was a decent title, but I'd much rather have a proper RR title.

denshuu

Didn't they try a different business model with the Vita Ridge Racer and it failed? Just stick to the formula Namco.

The free to play model at least makes sense as a model. What they did with the Vita was disgusting. 30 bucks for a stripped down version of Ridge Racer 6 with five cars and three tracks. That was it. And if you wanted more tracks, that's three bucks per track. And music is sold separately.

30 bucks. For a game that probably had less content than this free to play game will have.

krae_man

Some of the worst AI rubberbanding I've encountered in any game. Ever. It was just shocking how bad it was.

Apart from that, it was a decent title, but I'd much rather have a proper RR title.

I haven't played Unbounded. Is it worse then Ridge Racer 3DS? Because oh man, that game did not know what to do if you fucked with the rubberbanding.

Later on in the game if you passed first place, it would automatically overtake you again and there was nothing you can do about it. I once forced the AI to try to pass me on the outside and take a turn too wide on one of those turns that narrows. Instead of them losing all their speed for hitting the guardrail. My car instantly stopped and the AI car went around 1/4 of the track at like warp 8.

Another time I was in first and tried to box in the second place car trying to pass me and let third place pass us both to see what happens and I instantly got 180'd and shot 50 feet straight up in the air.

I haven't played Unbounded. Is it worse then Ridge Racer 3DS? Because oh man, that game did not know what to do if you fucked with the rubberbanding.
You should know that Unbounded is Ridge Racer in name only. It plays, looks, and feels nothing like a Ridge Racer game so on that fact alone, even with it's problems, that makes the 3DS game a million times better.

I really liked Unbounded, it took a while to learn what the game wanted from the player in terms of how to drift but once you nailed it the game was great. Definitely in to check this out when it comes out.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
That wasn't what I was hoping for when I came in this thread. Come on Namco, just give us a true sequel to RR7. I really hope they have something planned for this holiday when the new systems come out.

Later on in the game if you passed first place, it would automatically overtake you again and there was nothing you can do about it. I once forced the AI to try to pass me on the outside and take a turn too wide on one of those turns that narrows. Instead of them losing all their speed for hitting the guardrail. My car instantly stopped and the AI car went around 1/4 of the track at like warp 8.

Another time I was in first and tried to box in the second place car trying to pass me and let third place pass us both to see what happens and I instantly got 180'd and shot 50 feet straight up in the air.

I haven't played RR 3DS, but most of what you're describing is pretty much what happens in Unbounded.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Namco go fuck yourselves with this bullshit!!!!! Why the fuck are you guys ruining this precious franchise by putting it in the dirty hands of Bugbear Studios????

I DON'T WANT NO DESTRUCTION DERBY IN MY RIDGE RACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get those ugly ass shitty graphics and these shitty bulky cars out of my Ridge Racer!!!!!!!!! I want Namco Japan back on the RR series God dammit!!!!!!!!!!!! *cries to sleep*

Crying%2BBaby%2BNatural%2BHigh%2Bfor%2BSome%2BMoms.jpg

jett

D-Member
It seems to be a free to play version of Unbounded. Which means not a single fuck will be given by me. Redeem yourselves by announcing Ridge Racer 8 for PS4 at E3.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
There's already a better Ridge Racer on PC. It's called Trackmania 2 Canyon and practically no one plays it. :(

Anyways, this could be alright, I guess. The track creation tools in Unbounded seemed pretty robust and the demo played well enough. It just wasn't inspiring enough for me to want to pay for it.

It's tough these days for a racing game fan who loves drifting.

If Trackmania 2 allowed you to drift properly with a steering wheel and had force feedback support I'd agree with you.

That might be it. Jetpack Joyride isn't on Xbox Live either.

Then again, that Happy Wars game was free to play, wasn't it? I'm not sure.
that and crimson alliance (also ms published), perhaps download size is the issue, last checked, ms is still at 2gb?

meppi

Ah great. They a continuing with the RidgeOut shit.
Do not want! Shitty version of a great franchise is shitty.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

They are nothing alike. RR3DS is more in line with the titles released last gen for PSP/360/PS3. If you liked those games, you would like RR3DS. They problem is that it was a rushed launch title, so it doesn't have the polish it should. The framerate, AI and collision detection all have problems but despite that, it's still a solid title and the best arcade racer on 3DS imo.

RR Unbounded completely changed the controls, physics and objectives of the game. It's probably a closer comparison to the Burnout games.

I don't know why some gave him so much grief over this....I still laugh my arse off, but I understood what compelled him to randomly blurt it out like that.

its the same when you think back to Coooooooooool Boarders! HERE WE GO!

Is obviously that he expected a bigger reaction. He went too enthusiastic with RR on PSP and people there didn't cared and went silent. That's what people made fun off.

krae_man

They are nothing alike. RR3DS is more in line with the titles released last gen for PSP/360/PS3. If you liked those games, you would like RR3DS. They problem is that it was a rushed launch title, so it doesn't have the polish it should. The framerate, AI and collision detection all have problems but despite that, it's still a solid title and the best arcade racer on 3DS imo.

RR Unbounded completely changed the controls, physics and objectives of the game. It's probably a closer comparison to the Burnout games.

Yeah I know it's apparently different. I was more asking about the Rubberbanding.

Top Bottom