• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded |OT| Bound and Rebound

Really? I've played a little bit at a friends place and it's probably one of the easiest racing games I've played recently. You can easily get into first place by the end of the first lap and just stay there.

I've found that if you just try to drive well (take the best line, don't make any mistakes, etc.) you won't get very far. However if you drive like an intelligent asshole (smash through objects to get minor power boost, pull off extended drifts where you can, tail gate, even just bumping opponents, takedow...frag multiple opponents in a row, smash through shortcuts, etc.) and pull off some boost chains early you can stay ahead. Unless you're saving a power boost for a shortcut, or hazard trigger, use it. If a hard turn is down the stretch, use the power boost to boost ahead or take out another car.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn, I'm getting called out a little bit. Now I want to pick this up and try to fraps some footage / help anyone out who is having issues. Winning 5 seconds and above every race was not uncommon. I'm hesitant to buy the game myself because it was a tad easy, I would get out front and then nothing exciting would happen, just a cruise to the finish line. I also did just drive normal, I never focused on taking things out, I just always used my boost when I got it, even during corners. That part is a bad habbit from burnout 3.

What are you guys struggling with? If I could take footage of something in particular to help out, what would it be?

Side note, anyone playing on pc? Is there even anyone online or is it just empty? Thats my biggest fear with spending $50 on it.

Isomac

Only thing I am having problems is some of these time attack events. 3 star times are quite hard...

I just finished one domination race with 15 seconds lead.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Has anyone figured out yet if the fun stuff like Trackmania style loops and tubes from the track editor trailer is in the console versions?

Is the track design / editor in the console versions the gimped edition?

bryanee

Has anyone figured out yet if the fun stuff like Trackmania style loops and tubes from the track editor trailer is in the console versions?

Is the track design / editor in the console versions the gimped edition?

Just came across two tracks with loops and half pipes in the 360 game.

Kai Dracon

Just came across two tracks with loops and half pipes in the 360 game.

Well now. Okay thanks.

I picked up the 360 version this morning and was feeling some buyers remorse, it's not bad but basically a tepid version of Burnout Revenge in the early levels. I was hoping there was going to be a bit more to it...

robot

if ramps and loops aren't available from the start, they will unlock quickly. the first track I made had them...make a track in basic then add them in advanced. they're in every version.

Kai Dracon

if ramps and loops aren't available from the start, they will unlock quickly. the first track I made had them...make a track in basic then add them in advanced. they're in every version.

Ok. The editor trailer made it look as if there must be wide or "blank" track sections to lay down, in order to fit large complex ramp and loop structures in.

Anyone having problems with their preorder DLC code from Gamestop? I just got my preorder and I'm getting an invalid code error when I enter it.

EDIT: PS3 version.

derFeef

The game is not ugly on PC, but I wish there would be some good/better AA options.

64ab052f.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AA is really hit or miss these days. Does RR:U run on a deferred engine? Can you force decent AA from the control panel?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I just had to say that I'm having a blast with this game. For all the hype I had going into this, this has surpassed my expectations. Having come from previous bugbear games, they actually throw a lot of content in their games and it is refreshing to see that this is the case here. Their presentation in this game is top notch and the racing is excellent. AI is tough, but fair. That is all that I could ask for. Also, my name on Steam is icebergisonfire. I'm on the GAF clan but if people want to get a game together or add me to the friends list, send an invite.

UFRA

I'm enjoying the game overall, although drifting is pissing me off.

What are some tips for this? I am able to easily get into a drift and I control myself well during it. However the main problem is I always end up just sliding right to the outside of a corner and end up hitting the walls. It's like I'm not turning at all and just sliding sideways. Sometimes I get it right, but then it feels like I've slowed down too much...or is that how it's done, slowing down somewhat?

Do the tracks/districts begin to vary in style when the game progresses?

I've only done about 7 events in 3 different districts, but each track looks indistinguishable from the last.

Sysgen

I'm enjoying the game overall, although drifting is pissing me off.

What are some tips for this? I am able to easily get into a drift and I control myself well during it. However the main problem is I always end up just sliding right to the outside of a corner and end up hitting the walls. It's like I'm not turning at all and just sliding sideways. Sometimes I get it right, but then it feels like I've slowed down too much...or is that how it's done, slowing down somewhat?

If you're gong too fast, yea you'll go right into the corner and worse if the angle is wrong and if you accelerate too hard in the drift you'll slide the car backwards. Like any other racing game brake -> drift -> feather the accelerator and keep the racing line compensating with of course the analog stick. Where corners have like destructible pillars or fences drift through those.

dethforce

Banned
oh wow - a ridge racer game in which DRIFTING is shit. sorry pals, bugbear should have made whatever flat out game and shouldnt have the chance to fuck up ridge racer.

derFeef

oh wow - a ridge racer game in which DRIFTING is shit. sorry pals, bugbear should have made whatever flat out game and shouldnt have the chance to fuck up ridge racer.

You know that ridge racer was not always about drifting, right? And Namco already "fucked up" ridge racer.
This is at least a good game.

UFRA

If you're gong too fast, yea you'll go right into the corner and worse if the angle is wrong and if you accelerate too hard in the drift you'll slide the car backwards. Like any other racing game brake -> drift -> feather the accelerator and keep the racing line compensating with of course the analog stick. Where corners have like destructible pillars or fences drift through those.

Thanks.

By brake do you mean pressing the "drift button" or literally use the brakes first, then use the drift button (which I assume is their way of calling it an e-brake)?

luffeN

Thanks.

By brake do you mean pressing the "drift button" or literally use the brakes first, then use the drift button (which I assume is their way of calling it an e-brake)?

I go into a tight corner (on 360) with steering, braking with LT and holding down B until the car starts to drift. If you started too late, chances are that you will crash sideways into a wall. If that is bound to happen, try to hit the wall with the left back light of the car, it will bounce you off better compared to hitting the wall with your whole left side.

And if you choose a car with pretty good handling, some of the corners don't need drifting, just brake a little.

derFeef

Man this game is either you dominate because you have nice chains of power, or you straight up lose because there is nothing there for you to gain power...

jett

D-Member
Wasn't the arcade version meant to be a simulator? It had gears and all as far as I can remember. Or am I mixing it up.

Ridge Racer has never been a simulation game. It's always been a straight-up arcade-style racer, where crazy drifting is king. I think I heard what you said in the gamespot review of this game, which was just wrong.

derFeef

Ridge Racer has never been a simulation game. It's always been a straight-up arcade-style racer, where crazy drifting is king. I think I heard what you said in the gamespot review of this game, which was just wrong.

Hm, man, I really have some ridge racer sim arcade cabinet in my mind, don't know why.

derFeef

Just watched the TeamVVV videos and Alan said the same. Maybe it was Namcos marketing or something... I don't know. Back to the game.

Solid07

Banned
Why is everyone making a big deal out of this game?
It's just Split/Second disguised as Ridge Racer.

What's even more sad is that this game isn't even good at DRIFTING. A Ridge Racer game that has horrible drifting. Makes a lot of sense.

:l

derFeef

What's even more sad is that this game isn't even good at DRIFTING. A Ridge Racer game that has horrible drifting. Makes a lot of sense.

I guess people are enjoying it, I certianly do. And the drifting can be very rewarding if you do it right.

Sysgen

How do you figure? Targeted destruction affects no other cars except to help them run the tracker faster not destroy them. The exception is the tanker that sends a shock wave.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

1) It's not just Split Second. There's more technique to the racing here and it isn't simply about blowing stuff up (the shortcuts you create become useful in subsequent laps).

2) The drifting is great, actually, once you learn to handle it. It's very satisfying throwing your car around sharp corners.

I'm having a great time with it. We all know it's not Ridge Racer but as much as I love the real series it HAS become stale. I'm hoping Namco rescues the series down the line, but for now, this is a great little racing game that's worthy of attention.

B-Dex

How do you figure? Targeted destruction affects no other cars except to help them run the tracker faster not destroy them. The exception is the tanker that sends a shock wave.

If you destroy a target you gain more points and do more damage to other cars for a bit afterwards.

Sysgen

If you destroy a target you gain more points and do more damage to other cars for a bit afterwards.

You do more damage because you're using power or the speed that you're going and you're not dropping buildings on people. The two concepts are different. It's not Split Second but a very distant cousin and yea a lot of the user maps are great.

Does anyone know why I seem to be stuck at 59,999 points in the Lower Eastside district (I think that's what it's called)? I am unable to unlock the 60,000 point tier, even though I keep completing lower tier events within the district which should add to my point total, but it never moves beyond 59,999.

The game reminds me of Split/Second, but after seeing the video reviews it looks much different. The environmental destruction looks like it's handled differently. You don't trigger the destruction and destroy other cars like in SS, but you drive through it and run through cars. Is this about right?

Also, the drifting looks smoother and even a simple thing like drifting makes a HUGE different in racing games especially arcade racers. I think I've played a few racing games this gen where the whole game was ruined because of difficult or bad drifting gameplay.

The game also seems more faster than SS. And like others mentioned, the AI seems brutal. But that's alright because I'm a NFS Hot Pursuit survivor! :D

And as for Bug Bear, I'm a big fan. I loved the PSP's version of Sega Rally Revo more than the console one. The tracks were more creative and more fun.

Also, maybe Namco should've just ported this to the Vita instead of experimenting with the horrible DLC thing?

luffeN

The game reminds me of Split/Second, but after seeing the video reviews it looks much different. The environmental destruction looks like it's handled differently. You don't trigger the destruction and destroy other cars like in SS, but you drive through it and run through cars. Is this about right?
There are destroyable trucks with big gastanks which can take out cars, but they are very rare.

Top Bottom