• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded |OT| Bound and Rebound

Man, the physics system in this game can be pretty shit sometimes. Boost through a shortcut and at the end of the automated sequence it can just send you careening around the course, doing barrel rolls, 360 flips and land you facing the wrong way. There's nothing you can do, you come out of the sequence aaaaannnnnnnddddddddddd you're fucked. You can try and play catch up the rest of the race but you're usually better off simply restarting. They should've made it so the car is biased to land upright and facing the correct direction after those sequences.

Worse are the weird bits of collision--although this has happened much more rarely than the problem mentioned above--where there's nothing on the track you're driving over, you're not driving into anything, there's no cars around you, you're simply driving on a flat surface and you just pop up.

I'm probably halfway through the game. Cleared four sections of the city and am midway through clearing a fifth section. Mechanically Unbounded is a very fun game but visually it starts to drag. I get that they wanted to reboot the series, and they have mechanically, but I don't understand why they didn't use more of the series visual language when it comes to cars (some paid content aside) and track design. You just seem the same elements getting used and re-used over and over to make up the tracks. There really isn't anything unique, there's no throwbacks to the classic games. It just doesn't look like a Ridge Racer at all and this is magnified when there's some classic Ridge Racer music playing during the race.

I just would have been an easy win for them to include some classic RR visual elements and graft those on to the new mechanics. As it is, after a while, Unbounded just starts to look drab.

Top Bottom