• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded |OT| Bound and Rebound

robot

I made a hack job attempt at Seaside Route 765 called Seaside 76X. It has about as much to do with the original track as this game does with the rest of the series. Maybe it'll come out better as I unlock more tiles. Enjoy!

EDIT: city name is Hyperville

edbrat

This game is hard as fug

not got my copy yet, both mildly excited and slightly intimidated regarding all these reports about difficulty. As long as its not cheap and failure is your fault then that can be v satisfying, if it just kicks my arse all the time and I get nowhere and don't get to see most of the campaign as a result that would be bloody annoying.

Still damn hyped for the online alone, Blur online was crazy fun hope this is along the same lines.

derFeef

The Flatout games were also pretty hard as the rubberbanding was very harsh sometimes It got frustrating very easily.

so, how's the framerate for PS3 version? if it's solid 30 without major problem, I think I'll get this one. you can share tracks etc right?

Bebpo

Banned
The Flatout games were also pretty hard as the rubberbanding was very harsh sometimes It got frustrating very easily.

Yeah, I only played one Flatout game but it was REALLY HARD, one physics bump from a piece of debris or rock could send you the wrong direction and the AI was ruthless, so this does not surprise me. The games were still pretty cool regardless of that.

Does Ridge have difficulty levels?

Haunted

Flatout was pretty unforgiving with the rubberbanding if you were properly racing, but what it evened it out were all the options to fuck up your competitors. Targeting your closest rival early on in a race was effective, especially towards the end of a tournament series.

It's similar to F-Zero in that sense.

newsguy

The difficulty isn't cheap but you're forced to learn tracks and drift flawlessly if you want any chance of placing first (3 stars). I'm realizing that to keep my sanity I have to settle for 2 stars on certain events, which is still very tough. That said, this is Burnout Revenge reincarnated and I couldn't be happier.

I hate it when I drift into a complete 180 going the wrong way. I just can't get the drifting right in this one. Never had that issue in a Ridge Racer before.

Ok, I just noticed this game, and I can't believe this is real.

I've hated the series ever since drift/boost took over, but there was still the imaginative Namco style to consider. This is unrecognizable as RR, nothing remains other than the evil drift/boost + destructo-Burnout. As a new game with no RR-bias, it could be ok and fun, but Ridge Racer as a series and a legacy has officially been nuked from orbit.

I will say though, that track editor looks great. If the gameplay looked a little more engaging to me I might've considered it once it hit the bargain bin.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm enjoying it, as others have said it's tough as nails.

Worth remembering that it's a Power bar, not nitro so it is better used shunting opponents and opening up shortcuts than just boosting.

The handling feels very much like S/S, quite heavy and skiddy round corners. Very rewarding feel.

kanugo

BugBear just tweeted:

BugbearEntertainment ‏ @bugbeargames

PC players with a retail copy already in your hands - you'll need to wait for the Steam version to activate tomorrow. Sorry about the wait.

newsguy

I'm not quite there. I think RR: Unbounded's versions of "Takedowns" don't give you nearly the same feel as Burnout.
Well other than Burnout's car damage model (which remains king IMO) it feels close to me. All the way down to the camera that follows the car you hit. Plus RR lists all the points you're earning as the car destructs. The main difference being that you need to use "power" to takedown opponents quickly.

BigDug13

It sounds like they adopted a bit of how the drift button works in the 3DS version of RR. As you hold the button it puts you into that typical "Ridge Racer drift" state until you let go.

(it's been years since I played RR so maybe that's nothing new, but before 3DS my last RR was the launch PSP title. )

Ha! Only read the first paragraph of that review, and I can already tell the whole review will be dead-on. Can't wait for a REVIEW to tell me how to actually play the game. Sheesh. That wasn't the best of moves, Bugbear...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
drift button sounds retarded. it sounds like you have to use it in conjunction with the braking too, so its not just an easy "press x to slide around corner". why not just stick with a standard e-brake?

the team vvv guy seemed to enjoy the game, and it looks great, but what an odd choice for vehicle control input.

BigDug13

Ha! Only read the first paragraph of that review, and I can already tell the whole review will be dead-on. Can't wait for a REVIEW to tell me how to actually play the game. Sheesh. That wasn't the best of moves, Bugbear...

I feel like Bugbear wasn't really driving the bus on that one. The whole purpose of paying a Publisher is to take care of that crap for you. Or in the case of this one, Namco was contracting out their RR license and had a responsibility to provide the necessary publisher support to ensure its success. That is where they failed.

But yeah, Bugbear should have added a tutorial which was well within their power to do.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
drift button sounds retarded. it sounds like you have to use it in conjunction with the braking too, so its not just an easy "press x to slide around corner". why not just stick with a standard e-brake?

the team vvv guy seemed to enjoy the game, and it looks great, but what an odd choice for vehicle control input.

Yeah, I'd trust someone that loves racers to properly judge this game, rather than the reviewers. The Team VVV guy is always fair.

danmaku

No.

The AI owned me in the right at the beginning of the game in the first race. I'm getting better though.

Is the AI as crazy as in Flatout? I loved how sometimes the CPU pilots freak out and decide to crash into other cars just because. Especially Frank Malkov lol

PaulLFC

Unless there's a PC review up, you're not getting any impressions till tomorrow. Game is Steamworks. Won't be unlocked till tomorrow.
It's Steamworks? Fantastic. I was looking for confirmation on yes/no on this but there didn't seem to be any news.

It's only £22 at Asda so if it's Steamworks that's great.

thank you and holeeeee sheeeeeit! i have been using the drift button like an ebrake. i cannot wait to try playing the way this review states. they could have at least mentioned that in the fucking manual for chrissakes.

The problem I'm finding is that my power bar is rarely filled up and I'm having a hard time filling it. I'm hoping the revelation about the drifting will solve this issue when I sit down to play again tonight.

RedStep

The problem I'm finding is that my power bar is rarely filled up and I'm having a hard time filling it. I'm hoping the revelation about the drifting will solve this issue when I sit down to play again tonight.

I'm getting the hang of it, but man do I miss Burnout: Revenge's system: tap brake to initiate drift, adjust steering and throttle, profit. So easy. No controller-fu needed.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
for those that are able to compare, if i hate the burnout games (mainly for the ultra simplified handling) should i pass on this entirely? i actually like that the cars appear to have a good amount of weight and that there sounds to be a good sized learning curve - two things i didnt find with the burnout series.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
for those that are able to compare, if i hate the burnout games (mainly for the ultra simplified handling) should i pass on this entirely? i actually like that the cars appear to have a good amount of weight and that there sounds to be a good sized learning curve - two things i didnt find with the burnout series.

I dunno if you've played it but the feel of the cars is very, very similar to Split/Second.

Arucardo

I dunno if you've played it but the feel of the cars is very, very similar to Split/Second.

Man, I really enjoyed S/S. The first time I saw a whole cargo plane/jumbo jet crashing down right at me had me with my mouth open. There's very few games that have managed that.

The FlatOut 2/UC are pretty comparable. Heavy feel.

Top Bottom