• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime comes out in May. Costs £10 more on Nintendo Switch.

I'm sure Nicalis said in interviews/comments about the added cost of the cart increasing retail costs and gave a $ amount, I can't find the interview right now though.

Producing a cart will always cost more than producing a CD/BD, the latter have manufacturers/pressers in such abundant numbers.

We are talking about cents here, not dollars, let alone 10$

LordKano

Every game apart from Just Dance and Puyo Puyo Tetris :)
Not much else out yet, but I guess that World of Goo may also cost more than the 3.99 EUR they are asking for on other platforms.

Alternative facts?

Just Dance is pricier because it's a late port. Come on now, you know it.
And Puyo Puyo justify his price with some goodies included in the box.

Unless your in Europe, where physical and digital are £10 more for the switch AND there is no bonus goodies with the physical edition.

Vinnk

Every game apart from Just Dance and Puyo Puyo Tetris :)
Not much else out yet, but I guess that World of Goo may also cost more than the 3.99 EUR they are asking for on other platforms.

Alternative facts?

Puyo Puyo has Digital parity with the other versions (at least in the US). The physical is more but most of us are fine with that.

Just Dance 2017 Gold Edition (Includes Just Dance Unlimited subscription) - PS4 $59.99
is comparable to:
Just Dance 2017 Switch (Includes Just Dance Unlimited subscription) Switch $59.99

The only other console World of Goo is on is the Wii and I think it was 15 or 20 dollars. I totally expect it to be that price or lower. It is an established fact that PC games will quickly sell for less than consoles and I do not think anyone is arguing that the price needs to stay consistent for the entire life of a product. World of Goo on PC/Mac launched at $20.

But I could be missing something. I'm not claiming to be an expert.

Shiggy

Rime is also a late port, so it should be pricier? Yeah, that argument doesn't seem very logical. And the retail version of Puyo Puyo Tetris doesn't come with any goodies (the keychain isn't worth 10 USD anyway) in Europe, nor does the digital version. Yet both are 10 EUR more expensive than the PS4 version.

Puyo Puyo has Digital parity with the other versions (at least in the US). The physical is more but most of us are fine with that.

Just Dance 2017 Gold Edition (Includes Just Dance Unlimited subscription) - PS4 $59.99
is comparable to:
Just Dance 2017 Switch (Includes Just Dance Unlimited subscription) Switch $59.99

The only other console World of Goo is on is the Wii and I think it was 15 or 20 dollars. I totally expect it to be that price or lower. It is an established fact that PC games will quickly sell for less than consoles and I do not think anyone is arguing that the price needs to stay consistent for the entire life of a product. World of Goo on PC/Mac launched at $20.

But I could be missing something. I'm not claiming to be an expert.

Puyo Puyo Tetris digitally is 39.99 EUR on Switch in Europe and 29.99 EUR on PS4.

Just Dance 2017 on Switch is 59.99 EUR, on Wii U 49.99 EUR.

World of Goo is 3.99 EUR on Android and 15 EUR on Wii, on PC it's 10 EUR right now. Will it be 3.99 EUR on Switch? Highly doubtful.

Different prices on different platforms do happen. Rime isn't an isolated incidence, and it's not even the only example on Switch.

oti

Banned
This really is a terrible way to start off your Switch library. They could cultivate a whole new audience on Switch, instead they're pushing them away. Doesn't seem very forward thinking.

Forkball

I hope this doesn't become a trend. As someone who owns a PC, I can see myself picking up Switch versions of indie titles over nabbing them on Steam, but not at a significantly higher price.

I hope this doesn't become a trend. As someone who owns a PC, I can see myself picking up Switch versions of indie titles over nabbing them on Steam, but not at a significantly higher price.

watch the game make terrible numbers and the lesson learned be "well, our games don't sell on nintendo platforms"

Muzy72

Banned
Rime is also a late port, so it should be pricier? Yeah, that argument doesn't seem very logical. And the retail version of Puyo Puyo Tetris doesn't come with any goodies (the keychain isn't worth 10 USD anyway) in Europe, nor does the digital version. Yet both are 10 EUR more expensive than the PS4 version.

Puyo Puyo Tetris digitally is 39.99 EUR on Switch in Europe and 29.99 EUR on PS4.

World of Goo is 3.99 EUR on Android and 15 EUR on Wii, on PC it's 10 EUR right now. Will it be 3.99 EUR on Switch? Highly doubtful.

Different prices on different platforms do happen. Rime isn't an isolated incidence, and it's not even the only example on Switch.
Just Dance 2017 was $59.99 on PS4 and Xbox One when it launched, so being $59.99 when it launches on Switch makes sense.

As for Puyo Puyo Tetris, it's doing exactly what Rime SHOULD have done. $39.99 for retail Switch version with extra goodies, $29.99 for digital Switch version and retail/digital on PS4.

Neither of those games are pulling the bullshit Rime is.

Shiggy

Don't compare mobile storefronts to console storefronts. They are two different beasts entirely.

So are PS4 and Switch, so are PC and PS4. That's why we see different prices across the board. No need to make an artificial differentiation now. For a game like World of Goo, using a tablet or the Switch touch screen is basically the same user experience.

Just Dance 2017 was $59.99 on PS4 and Xbox One when it launched, so being $59.99 when it launches on Switch makes sense.

As for Puyo Puyo Tetris, it's doing exactly what Rime SHOULD have done. $40 for retail Switch version with extra goodies, $30 for digital Switch version and retail/digital on PS4.

So where was the outcry when the Wii U version was cheaper for Just Dance?

And for Puyo Puyo Tetris read my post again, you seem to have missed something there or just not read very carefully. It's not the case in Europe.

EDarkness

watch the game make terrible numbers and the lesson learned be "well, our games don't sell on nintendo platforms"

I'd say this has a high probability of happening. There's no way they're gonna take responsibility for this. If it does well, that'll just give them incentive to do this again.

ramparter

Banned
Human resource and little inferno cost 10€ on Wii U,this is how much I expect WoG on Switch. If there's some buy all three discount I'll seriously consider it.

dock

Launching late at an inflated price is so hostile towards your customers.
I'll probably give this game a wide berth on all platforms.

jonno394

So are PS4 and Switch, so are PC and PS4. That's why we see different prices across the board. No need to make an artificial differentiation now. For a game like World of Goo, using a tablet or the Switch touch screen is basically the same user experience..

No, Switch is in the same group as PS4/Xbox One as a console. That's why it's ok to compare them imo, not a mobile device where games are mostly F2p and average game prices are peanuts.

Shiggy

No, Switch is in the same group as PS4/Xbox One as a console. That's why it's ok to compare them imo, not a mobile device where games are mostly F2p and average game prices are peanuts.

Yeah, then it comes down to your artificial grouping scheme then. I certainly don't see why I should pay for a Switch port twice as much as on Android, especially when it's the same experience (which it is in case of World of Goo).

jonno394

Yeah, then it comes down to your artificial grouping scheme then. I certainly don't see why I should pay for a Switch port twice as much as on Android, especially when it's the same experience (which it is in case of World of Goo).

Well your opinion is based on your own artificial grouping scheme.

EDarkness

Yeah...you're not gonna really see mobile pricing on consoles. So if you're expecting that, then you're gonna be disappointed.

PSFan

Are those new higher prices only for AU? Or does every region now have higher pricing?

I was always planning to get this for PS4, and I still was even with the announced Switch version. And I'll still get it for PS4, but probably not at $59.95 US.

Shiggy

Well your opinion is based on your own artificial grouping scheme.

There's no grouping scheme involved. What are you referring to?

Yeah...you're not gonna really see mobile pricing on consoles. So if you're expecting that, then you're gonna be disappointed.

And you won't see universally the same prices across PS4/X1/Switch either. So if you're expecting that, then you're gonna be disappointed.

EDarkness

And you won't see universally the same prices across PS4/X1/Switch either. So if you're expecting that, then you're gonna be disappointed.

It will be mostly even across the board barring some back end deals and sales. So the expectation going forward (at least in the U.S.) is that games released at the same time for multiple systems will generally be priced the same. There will be some outliers and well cartridges vs. discs. Even so, I think it's fair to expect games to be priced the same for different consoles. This is why this thread even exists in the first place.

Shiggy

You saying that because the game is the similar to the mobile experience then it should be the same price as the mobile game.

Yes. Why pay more for exactly the same experience when there's no additional value offered?

It will be mostly even across the board barring some back end deals and sales. So the expectation going forward (at least in the U.S.) is that games released at the same time for multiple systems will generally be priced the same. There will be some outliers and well cartridges vs. discs. Even so, I think it's fair to expect games to be priced the same for different consoles. This is why this thread even exists in the first place.

We shall see. Given that this is already the third example of a Switch game being more expensive, at least in Europe, despite having just launched and not having a big library yet, is a bit worrying.

The reward for getting the game later is having a more expensive game.

Claiming it's not taking advantage of a new released console.. i just dont believe you :(

I don't have a switch yet but i'll be buying it on another platform if i had switch or not.

deleted

Do we already know the digital pricing of the Switch version? I really thought it was 29 Euro digitally.

jonno394

Yes. Why pay more for exactly the same experience when there's no additional value offered?

I agree with you, but if the switch version cost is in line with other console and PC costs, then I can at least understand and accept why they have chosen the price.

a hypothetical multiformat World of Goo should cost the same across current gen consoles and Rime should cost the same across current gen consoles. That's my stance.

Vinnk

So are PS4 and Switch, so are PC and PS4. That's why we see different prices across the board. No need to make an artificial differentiation now. For a game like World of Goo, using a tablet or the Switch touch screen is basically the same user experience.

For the last 20+ pages we have been talking about the console versions. I know you have a point you want to make but the complaint that people are having here, in this thread you are in, is that the same generation console versions of a game are priced differently. We are not seeing different prices across the board for console releases. They are nearly always at parity upon launch.

So where was the outcry when the Wii U version was cheaper for Just Dance?

Just Dance 2017 on the Wii U did not contain the Just Dance Unlimited Features.

And for Puyo Puyo Tetris read my post again, you seem to have missed something there or just not read very carefully. It's not the case in Europe.

I am sorry that Europe is getting a bad deal on digital Puyo. The US is not. When people bring up the price difference for Digital and Physical Puyo they are not talking about the European version. They are trying to disprove the argument that the publisher is being forced to make digital and physical the same price. Maybe in Europe this is in fact the case. In the US it is not.

Harlock

Everytime a friend asks, I suggest PS or Xbox because the echosystem of games is way more cheap than Nintendo. Is not just new games being more expensive, is the old ones not dropping the price. Is kinda of this way since N64. And outside the USA, the prices scale even more.

EDarkness

Because mobile games "can't"/"don't" work with normal price structures. Which sucks and why I'd never release a game on mobile. The fact that people bitched about a damn $10 Mario game with no microtransactions is just insane to me. Anyway, that's a discussion for a different time. Different market, different expectations.

We shall see. Given that this is already the third example of a Switch game being more expensive, at least in Europe, despite having just launched and not having a big library yet, is a bit worrying.

Well, Europe is crazy, too. No idea why they jack things up over there, but hopefully players fight back against that stuff. In the U.S. it's been basically the same across the board. I think that's the expectation and I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way, with the exception of pubs/devs who feel like they should break this mold for whatever reason. I hope those guys are met with low sales just to let them know that this just isn't the right way to do this sort of thing.

Shiggy

Do we already know the digital pricing of the Switch version? I really thought it was 29 Euro digitally.

Munich, February 3 – Deep Silver are delighted to announce preorders are now available for Puyo Puyo™ Tetris® in Europe. The frenzy puzzle mashup will hit the stores in spring 2017. The PlayStation® 4 retail version comes at a price of €29.99 & / £24.99 and the Nintendo Switch™ version at retail and digital €39.99 / £34.99.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...Tetris_Vorbestellung_jetzt_moumlglichnbsp.php

Just Dance 2017 on the Wii U did not contain the Just Dance Unlimited Features.

Are you sure? "Grab your friends and family because it's time to dance! The biggest music video game franchise of all time is back*, with over 60 million units sold**. Just Dance 2017 brings you over 40 new tracks, six game modes, updated content all year long and access to 200+ songs through Just Dance Unlimited! 3-month trial of Just Dance Unlimited included (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, PC Digital)."

http://store.ubi.com/eu/just-dance--2017/5758093aef3aa5461e8b4567.html

I am sorry that Europe is getting a bad deal on digital Puyo. The US is not. When people bring up the price difference for Digital and Physical Puyo they are not talking about the European version. They are trying to disprove the argument that the publisher is being forced to make digital and physical the same price. Maybe in Europe this is in fact the case. In the US it is not.

People try to bring it up as an example that Rime is the only game doing this. So I bring it up as an example that it's not the only game. I recommend reading the context in which things are posted as then you don't need to spend time on such explanations. I am well aware of pricing being different in the US.

Because mobile games "can't"/"don't" work with normal price structures. Which sucks and why I'd never release a game on mobile. The fact that people bitched about a damn $10 Mario game with no microtransactions is just insane to me. Anyway, that's a discussion for a different time. Different market, different expectations.

True, but why would I buy World of Goo on Switch now? It controls best with touch controls anyway. With Rime I at least have the portability factor adding additional value.

EDarkness

Are you sure? "Grab your friends and family because it's time to dance! The biggest music video game franchise of all time is back*, with over 60 million units sold**. Just Dance 2017 brings you over 40 new tracks, six game modes, updated content all year long and access to 200+ songs through Just Dance Unlimited! 3-month trial of Just Dance Unlimited included (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, PC Digital)."

I was curious about this, so I just loaded up the Wii U eShop and Just Dance 2017 is $59.99. Not sure where it's $49.99. Physical disc? If you have a Wii U, it's on the front page of the eShop. Can't miss it.

I can understand the more expensive manufacturing costs associated with the Switch's game cards. That said, if developers want to be taken seriously they should discount the digital version.

Question: does Nintendo charge more royalties and/or have a bigger cut on items sold on the eShop compared to the competition?

Shiggy

I was curious about this, so I just loaded up the Wii U eShop and Just Dance 2017 is $59.99. Not sure where it's $49.99. Physical disc? If you have a Wii U, it's on the front page of the eShop. Can't miss it.

In Europe it launched at 49.99 EUR:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221271489&postcount=173

And Just Dance Unlimited was and still is included too:
What’s more, a three-month trial for Just Dance Unlimited is included with every download and new purchase of Just Dance 2017 on Wii U!
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Just-Dance-2017-1139443.html

Vinnk

Are you sure? "Grab your friends and family because it’s time to dance! The biggest music video game franchise of all time is back*, with over 60 million units sold**. Just Dance 2017 brings you over 40 new tracks, six game modes, updated content all year long and access to 200+ songs through Just Dance Unlimited! 3-month trial of Just Dance Unlimited included (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, PC Digital)."

Yes, I'm sure. I have it.

Here is Just dance 2017 Wii U (Retail 49.99)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GWGXBV0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here is Just Dance Gold Wii U (which does include Just Dance Unlimited) (Retail 59.99)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GWGXBMO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$59.99 is the same price as the Switch version.

Europe might be different. I don't know. But in the US the price is parity.

Shiggy

EDarkness

Interesting. In the U.S. it's the same price on all systems. Not sure what's going on with Europe. I think this sort of thing will be hitting you guys the hardest. In the States there's pretty much price parity unless there's a Wii version with missing features or something...or one of the versions is missing something important. This is the general perception of games releasing on all platforms at the same time. I think this is why Sega included the keychains with the NS version of Puyo Puyo Tetris. It provides at least a little value for paying a higher price. Honestly, I'm okay with that. Throw in some extras and I think it's fine.

ramparter

Banned
Interesting. In the U.S. it's the same price on all systems. Not sure what's going on with Europe. I think this sort of thing will be hitting you guys the hardest. In the States there's pretty much price parity unless there's a Wii version with missing features or something...or one of the versions is missing something important. This is the general perception of games releasing on all platforms at the same time. I think this is why Sega included the keychains with the NS version of Puyo Puyo Tetris. It provides at least a little value for paying a higher price. Honestly, I'm okay with that. Throw in some extras and I think it's fine.
Not fine for digital buyers though. Those knowing will go the us eshop route, but still not fine.

Top Bottom