• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RimWorld out today on Steam Early Access - Colony Manager of Love and Life and Death

ike_

I've never had an issue with the 'lopes. Sniper/ancient survival rifles have the range to incapacitate them at a safe distance, and the explosion usually clears out the rest of the herd.

I'd like future alpha updates to add more dangerous gen-mod animals. Mutated mandrils or something. Oh and new weapon designs. I love a tec9 as much as the next guy, but I don't expect them to be in circulation in 3000 years.

I thought I was being clever by setting up a "stay the hell away" zone in the corner of the map and just letting the self-tamed boomrats starve to death.

Didn't work, when one passed out from starvation a colonist ran out there and "rescued" it. Flipped out when I saw it sleeping in our cloth animal beds next to all our probably pretty flammable huskies.

I wonder what kinds of game-changing features are going to make it into A16.

Water?

Multi-level buildings?

Ethnic cuisine?

The Colony Manager mod is incredible, especially for auto-managing hunting. I hope that gets incorporated somehow like the best of other mods have been.

I wonder what kinds of game-changing features are going to make it into A16.

Water?

Multi-level buildings?

Ethnic cuisine?

I'm pining for the addition of alien colonists, myself. Strong ones to be haulers, psychic ones to mentally buff colonists or debuff enemies, and something fast.

Or just hauling improvements.

I really need to try the colony manager mod.

I could see synthetic/augmented colonists being added in the future. Or even the addition of robotics in general. Given the lore, I'm surprised there isn't really any other than the mechanoids.

I really need to try the colony manager mod.

I could see synthetic/augmented colonists being added in the future. Or even the addition of robotics in general. Given the lore, I'm surprised there isn't really any other than the mechanoids.
I mean, technically augmented colonists are already in, with the different prosthetics and body parts you can replace

I mean, technically augmented colonists are already in, with the different prosthetics and body parts you can replace

True, but there's little difference between them and other colonists. At least that I've found thus far. I was thinking more of people like you'd see in a Deus Ex game.

YjErxOB.jpg

Yeah, this is a huge game-changing update
This update adds a spherical world and the ability to travel across it with multiple caravans, having simultaneous encounters on the way and settling new colonies.
There can now be multiple local maps active at once. For example, you can have your colony running as well, as a group of soldiers attacking an enemy base, at the same time.
Player can now gather up groups of colonists, prisoners, and animals, and form caravans to travel across the world surface. Caravans can settle and form new colonies.

PatchNotes said:
Travel victory
New game ending: A friendly person offers a ship, but it is distant, across the world map. If you travel there, you can escape the planet and complete the game. But, traveling there will take a long time and you'll need to stop at various points to build up supplies or solve problems.

Oh my god it's Oregon Trail + Rimworld! Time to ford some rivers!

I wonder if they have scaled down the raids and stuff because it usually takes my whole colony to hold it off. I believe their size were based on wealth.

You could potentially screw yourself by having too many people gone. Even death areas with turrets aren't unbeatable if you only have like 4 people back home.

I wonder if they've increased the # of colonists you get, or the rate you get them.

Most I've had was 11 or 12. It with the turret mod made defending the base pretty easy against everyone (other than the merc company).

Enco

Oh boy..

I've been watching this game for a while and this update looks amazing.

Will be able to play a Walking Dead type scenario soon I feel. Mod some zombies in + have settlements that you travel to/from + attack other settlements = TWD.

After Rogue One, I'm pining for a Tatooine conversion. Sandpeople, jawas, bandits, Stormtroopers etc.

I'm sure there is one already out there, but I've stuck to the Steam Workshop and it's non-copyright triggering content thus far.

Aaron D.

I wonder if they have scaled down the raids and stuff because it usually takes my whole colony to hold it off. I believe their size were based on wealth.

"- New Peaceful difficulty mode, for players who just want to build stuff. Disables major involuntary threats like raids."

Call me a noob, but I welcome Peaceful mode.

Never was all the interested in fighting off bandits. Just want to build, survive & thrive.

DMTripper

Really hope this game comes up in the steam winter sale. To my knowledge it hasn't been on sale yet. I know I'm tight but I have plenty of games to play so I can wait!

Teletraan1

Banned
"- New Peaceful difficulty mode, for players who just want to build stuff. Disables major involuntary threats like raids."

Call me a noob, but I welcome Peaceful mode.

Never was all the interested in fighting off bandits. Just want to build, survive & thrive.

It is a nice addition if you just want to build. I would like to see them go further and let you customize what types of raids you are subject to. I don't mind the normal raids but once you get going but those sappers are a bit much sometimes. Especially when you don't have enough time to repair what they did and you get pumped again by another raid right away. That is when I had enough and just disabled them in the ini but a menu option would be nice.

Aaron D.

It is a nice addition if you just want to build. I would like to see them go further and let you customize what types of raids you are subject to. I don't mind the normal raids but once you get going but those sappers are a bit much sometimes. Especially when you don't have enough time to repair what they did and you get pumped again by another raid right away. That is when I had enough and just disabled them in the ini.

Yeah, that's a good point. I'd sign up for that as well.

Not interested in bandits, but the occasional target practice with a rabid field mouse would be cool for a kick. :p

Y'all have gone soft.

It's not RimWorld unless your good-at-everything colonist gets headshotted by an illiterate kidnapper and you're left with your video-game designer and ex-pop star who refuse to put out fires or do dumb labour.

Purkake4

Banned
Y'all have gone soft.

It's not RimWorld unless your good-at-everything colonist gets headshotted by an illiterate kidnapper and you're left with your video-game designer and ex-pop star who refuse to put out fires or do dumb labour.
...on the ice shelf biome.

Anno

Best game of 2016 keeps getting better. I hope my A16 beta save keeps working; I just got my colony of tortoise-loving animal handlers to the point that I can unleash a flood of the beasts upon my enemies and I want at least one good turtle mauling before I head into A16 proper.

Chichikov

So not only can I make my prisoners trip balls on acid MKUltra style, I can also get my cat high.
What a time to be alive.

Oh I guess I can also conquer the world with my caravan of roaming death backed up by my (s)ODST reserves that I fire from my home base, but whatever. Cat. High.

Y'all have gone soft.

Some people are just walking containers for future black market organ harvests.

Carl7

Sniper squad against poison ship:

090BDE2DF37530B218A5C6314FECAC4E2F317F14

Unfortunately one of my baby elephants was caught in the crossfire and died. Their pregnancy takes forever, I was so sad.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
havent come arround to trying the new alpha, but im hoping to get this done over christmas. Travel Victory sounds amazing!

News on the new big update
I’m not going to go into detail on exactly what’s coming (that’s what the update videos are for!) But here are some basic notes on things in progress. The update will focus on enriching the content in the world, and create more reasons to use the planet-travel caravan system:

- Roads and rivers across the world (multiple categories of each).
- Redone enemy base generation.
- Enemy AI overhauls. They’ll be harder to cheese in various ways and act more sensibly.
- A new class of incidents that initiate quest opportunities on the world map. These are driven by a new combinatorial “site” system that allows us to create destinations to go to out of multiple “pieces”. This creates more variation than we would get if we just had single quest destinations. Now we can take any “site core” from a library, surround it with “site parts” from another library and the system will generate them all together. So, you could have a core that is a stash of gold, and add on “manhunter animals” and “abandoned turret line” around it, and the map generator will combine those. The number of possible combinations can get large quickly. This update will keep it pretty basic, but for future updates I hope to have larger site part libraries, which will create massive variation.
- People can tend their own wounds now!
- Tons and tons of rebalancing and detailed redesign to make skills matter more, make the economy more coherent and balanced, make animal farming for meat viable, make cannibalism a bit less ho-hum, make surgery not absurd, make room stats matter in a sensible way, make storyteller incidents more varied, and so on.

Based on man-hours, Alpha 17 will probably be the most substantial update yet. RimWorld has become quite a beast in terms of design complexity, so it does take a lot longer now to design and tune things so they integrate into the rest of the game well, don’t overwhelm players with complexity, and don’t create weird exploits or nonsensical outcomes. But, that’s all part of the inherent challenge of designing a tightly-integrated, wholly-procedural colony sim!

Anno

The most substantial update yet? Man. GOTY 2016 keeps on giving.

Mostly I'm looking forward to the AI improvements. Also hopefully some quality of life changes for caravans.

excellent

I dove back into RW a month or so ago, set up an excellent colony, and then forgot about the 'global' features completely and just played it like I always have. They didn't seem like something that I really needed to do, so it was easy to ignore them and focus on getting my illicit narcotics factory up and running.

Anno

A17 is up on the unstable branch of Steam betas if anyone wants to mess around with the new stuff. Here's a short rundown of changes observed by Reddit user UnlimitedLimited:

u/UnlimitedLimited said:
If you want to be spoiled here is a list of all the changes I've found. (This can change at any time)
New Features:
The enemy AI has been improved. They seem to move around more and move again immediately after shooting even if they lose their targets. They will try to stay out of turret range.
New Weapon: Chain Shotgun. An extremely powerful but inaccurate automatic shotgun with pathetic range and fast rate of fire.
Damage: 20 (x3)
Range: 10
Accuracy: 40%-43%
Factions will be angry with your colony if they lose their people even if you didn't caused their deaths or they died by environmental factors (such as fire or temperature).
New Trait:
Wimp: Causes pawns to be downed after being hit once (regardless of damage) Reduces the pain threshold needed to be downed by 65[?]pp. Thanks /u/AllenWL
Enemy base generation has been improved significantly. Building contents will be hidden and they may have batteries, crops, turrets and more...
Special small encounter maps with veins of precious resources can be located using a new mineral scanner. The map however, may contain enemies who guard the resources...
Skilled pawns can dodge attacks based on their melee skill and their moving and sight stats. (Dodging is not possible when wielding ranged weapons). The maximum dodge chance without bionics is 36%, with bionic legs is 50% and with bionic legs and eyes 65%
New type of cover: Smoke provides 70% of cover and can stack with other cover bonuses like sandbags or walls to considerably decrease accuracy.
New drug: Ambrosia. A tasty fruit that increases mood and gives a short "high" but it is slightly addictive. A new incident will cause Ambrosia bushes to appear in the map.
Colonists can tend their own wounds and diseases!
Self tending efficiency x0,7
Pawn's heads are removed graphically if the head is destroyed
Quests:
A faction may request an specific amount of resources/items for delivery. This quest is timed and you will receive a reward when completed.
A faction may request the destruction of an enemy base. A new base will be generated with a new icon. When completed the quest givers will send you drop pods containing items or silver.
Roads and rivers added in the world and local maps
New Research!
Shield Belt: Allows the creation of personal shields.
Long Range Mineral Scanner: Allows the construction of the Mineral Scanner. They detect precious metals within 30 hexes of the world map.
Smoke Pop Belts. Smoke pop belts are a single use clothing item that create a cloud of smoke when a colonist/enemy is hit with a projectile creating cover and preventing turrets from locking onto targets.
Packaged survival meal. Allows the production of meals that can't rot.
Miners can fail to obtain resources if their skill is too low.
You can mass assign colonists to specific areas.
Waypoints can be added in the world map to show the estimated travel time to reach that location.
You can sort columns by skill level in the work tab.
New and updated floors
Wood floor Flammability 0 -> 22
Carpet floor Flammability 0 -> 32
[Stone] Flagstone floors added
Crop growth time increased. Growing heavily nerfed by ~40%.
Rice growth time (days): 2,4 -> 3,0
Corn growth time: 7,3 -> 11,3
Potato growth time: 3,2 -> 6,0
Cotton growth time: 2,7 -> 8,0
Psychoid growth time: 6,8 -> 9,0
Haygrass growth time: 5,0 -> 7,0
Strawberry growth time: 2,7 -> 4,4
New Graphical effects
Water now has reflections.
Caravan pack spot
New sprites for certain items (Like stone chunks)
You can find healroot growing naturally.
NEW HAT!
Bowler hats increase social impact.
Renamed the weapon equipment rack to "shelf"
Healroot:
medical potency 0,4 -> 0,6
Medicine:
medical potency 0,7 -> 1,0
Glitterworld medicine:
medical potency 1,6 -> 2,0
Seasons are now called quadrums and their names have changed
It seems ridiculously easy for wounds to get infected. Treating wounds outside increases the chance of getting an infection even more.
Factions button in new generated maps to check factions and their opinions.
Sun lamp power usage: 1'600Wd -> 2'900W
Sun lamps will be powered off automatically at night.
Injured body parts will now display their efficiency in the health tab.
Trade Caravan request cost increased: 600 -> 1'100 with low opinion, 300 -> 700 with high opinion
Renamed "Hate women" and "Hate men" to Misogynist and Misandrist.
Renamed "Research" to "Intellectual"
When treating wounds, doctors will prioritize the ones that cause more bleeding instead of healing at random.
If more than one colonist attempt to use two autodoors that are next to each other (like an airlock) at the same time, they will be slowed down significantly.
"Outside" is now considered to be a dirty room for cleanliness checks (Infections, operations and food poisoning)
When generating worlds with less than 100% coverage the area of the world that isn't generated will not appear black, instead it will be blue similar to the ocean.
More wild plants appear in the map, making it easier to obtain food early on.
Consciousnesses is not a health factor for most jobs and ranged accuracy. [bug?]
Drug production speed is now affected by the "Intellectual" skill.
Animal handlers with poor skill may fail to obtain milk or wool when shearing animals.
Added an option to hide hats in the colonist bar.

Also there's a fun new Star Wars mod if you want light sabers and force powers and stuff.

Game finally clicked. I had played more than a few times throughout the few years, but I never got too far in. Hadn't played it since December before diving in again recentyl, but an actual tutorial and the improved tooltips were super helpful. Finally got a tiny colony up and running, things are going well...for now

Alpha 17 is out
http://steamcommunity.com/games/294100/announcements/detail/1255788411464683000
This version brings roads and rivers to the world, new world quests, new tools for modders, new combat tools, smarter AI, and rebalancings and adjustments across the whole design.

I'm afraid that this build is not compatible with saved games from previous versions, or mods from previous versions. However, you can continue to use the old version until you're ready to update.

Some of the additions
Roads and rivers
World now generates with roads and rivers
There are five road types: path, dirt road, stone road, ancient asphalt road, ancient asphalt highway
Some roads generate with things alongside, like concrete barriers or ancient lampposts
There are four sizes of river: huge river, large river, river, and creek
Rivers generate more in rainy areas, move towards the sea (ignoring tiny lakes) and merge as appropriate
Rivers and roads generate on local maps as expected.
Stone roads generate using local stone and a new flagstone terrain type.
Visitors, caravans, traders, and raiders tend to arrive and leave on the roads.
World generation is more chronological now. First continents form, then rivers, then an ancient society is shallowly simulated to generate ancient roads, then modern settlements and roads are generated (alongside ancient roads, often).

World quests
New "site parts" world site generation system. It allows assembling together a world destination from several 'parts'. Mixing and matching will allow us to create a huge number of combinations.
New world quest incident: Item stash. An allied faction tells you about a stash of randomly-generated reward items, guarded by a random threat. You can send a caravan to defeat the threat and collect the reward.
New world quest incident: Bandit camp. An allied faction asks you to defeat a bandit camp, and offers you a reward if you do so.
New world quest incident: Caravan request. An allied faction asks you to deliver a particular resource to a particular base in a particular time frame, for a special reward.
New 'long-range mineral scanner' building slowly scans for precious resource lumps nearby in the world. You need to send a caravan to collect them. Lumps may be defended.
New caravan incident: Payment demand. Raiders demand items or slaves from your caravan; if you refuse, they attack.'

AI
AI has more intelligent ranged shot target selection with random elements. Harder to exploit, and looks less dumb, doesn't shoot at chickens as much.
Raider with mega-weapons will now avoid friendly fire
Sapper groups will now choose another sapper if the first one is killed, making them much more persistent.
Sapper groups will now continue digging even while defending from attack.
Animals flee when harmed.
Added a new state to caravan lord job, “bloody exit”, which makes the exit individually, as aggressively as possible. This makes it a bit hard to rob caravans.
Raiders will no longer compulsively attack doors.
Base defense AI is touchier; stealth raids will be much much more difficult (and probably infeasible most of the time).
Doctors now tend heavy bleeding injuries and diseases near lethal severity first.

Anno

I wonder if the disease tending is as rough as in the beta. Frickin' everything got infected unless you have amazing treatment conditions. Can't wait to give the official patch a try!

JC Sera

I wonder if the disease tending is as rough as in the beta. Frickin' everything got infected unless you have amazing treatment conditions. Can't wait to give the official patch a try!
the unstable had multiple patches, mainly tweaking disease tending
its nowhere near as brutal

Top Bottom