• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Pandemic Studios (Confirmed, see post 295)

Sipowicz

Banned
this might seem a little callous but do you think this will turn EA around or do you think they'll have to go further?

i remember they let a lot of people go last year too

Dartastic

Zeenbor said:
One more thing I will say: EA is totally sending Saboteur out to die. And it's a fucking shame. It's easily Pandemic's best game yet. Of course, I am a bit biased having worked on the game for so long. If you were disappointed with Mercs2 and LOTR (who wasn't) and enjoyed previous Pandemic games, give Saboteur a shot.

Gonna pour one out for my homies:

img0853s.jpg

I worked in the Certification department and I've played through the entire thing multiple times. I concur with this statement. The game is good, and I hope people actually play it because it's pretty damn fun.

Tonza

Sucks for people losing their jobs. But I think EA had to do something given how they have been bleeding money.

I just pre-ordered Saboteur because of this thread.

faridmon

now am going to buy it even though I don't buy EA games and i don'tv own any next gen console. although it will be expensive for me.

good luck to anyone in Pandemic, i loved your few first games, but the new ones weren't that good.

It's been said a lot already, but having me say it wont hurt: Condolences go out to all those affected. You gave me so many fun hours with the Battlefront and Destroy all Humans games, and I wish that my purchase of Saboteur would help your situation. Good luck to everyone at Pandemic. You'll be missed.

CTLance

I won't be buying the game, sorry, but I wish all of the now Ex-Pandemic staff a speedy recovery. Fall on your feet and keep running. Good luck.

Haunted

Mario said:
Good luck to all those who lost their jobs :(

Another to add to the list of recent casualties with entries I think are correct from 2007 (if any are incorrect let me know)

Backbone Vancouver
BottleRocket
Castaway Entertainment
EA Chicago (EA)
Ensemble (MS)
Factor 5 US
FASA (MS)
Fizz Factor (Foundation 9 group)
Flagship Studios
FuzzyEyes - not sure on this one
Gamelab
GRiN
Humannature Studio (Nexon)
Ironlore
Locomotive Games (THQ)
Nexon Vancouver (Nexon)
Pandemic Australia (EA)
Pandemic LA (EA)
Paradigm Entertainment (THQ)
Pivotal Games
Pseudo Interactive
Red Tibe
Sandblast Games (THQ)
Shaba Games (Activision)
Stormfront Studios
Transmission Games
Vicarious Visions California (Activision)

Auran and 3D Realms I think have all been reduced to holding companies with just a skeleton crew and sales staff.

Publisher closures include Brash, Empire, Red Mile Entertainment, and Midway (the latter closed Aces Game Studio, Blacksite Studio and Midway Austin in late 2008 through early 2009).

Edit: added a couple, thanks Crazymoogle
Man that list is depressing. :(

XGoldenboyX

Bring back Resurrection :D

Really sad story considering your definitely one of the smartest and talented Programmer I have worked with. Not because you are a dear friend of mine, but because I know how hard you and your team overworked yourselves with copious overtime and sleepless nights on this project.

In an upbeat note, I hope credibility will be given were it merits. This game will turn out pretty good I am sure.

Awesome "goodbye" video from former pandemic developers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmbGWeZrAM

The business behind games is shitty. Those who benefit the most are people who rarely or haven't even made a game in their lives while those who suffer the most are the ones who actually create it.

Talented people will find each other. EA is bleeding talent, that place is becoming toxic for people who are considering a game development career. Why would people consider working there in the future?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Count me in for the day-one Saboteur sales list, even though I'm pretty much done with killing folks in games. And all the best to you guys.

Ravidrath

V_Ben said:
it was only a matter of time:

Demo Video Of Cancelled Pandemic Game - Mercenaries Inc.

http://vimeo.com/7601853?hd=1

looked kinda fun. sucks that it will probably never see the light of day now :-(

Those were the people that were kept and moved to EALA.

...But they might be just taking their design and applying it to the new MoH game? Who knows.

Ravidrath said:
Those were the people that were kept and moved to EALA.

...But they might be just taking their design and applying it to the new MoH game? Who knows.

looks kind of similar to battlefront only with vehicles. Could have been the spiritual next gen successor.

Ravidrath

Ninja Scooter said:
looks kind of similar to battlefront only with vehicles. Could have been the spiritual next gen successor.

Yeah, which is actually why it's kind of a mystery to me that they kept people from that team?

EA already has an MP-focused action series, Battlefield... why would they keep a second one?

I expected them to keep Mercs 3 over this, which is why I can only assume they have something else in store for the team.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Ravidrath said:
Yeah, which is actually why it's kind of a mystery to me that they kept people from that team?

EA already has an MP-focused action series, Battlefield... why would they keep a second one?

I expected them to keep Mercs 3 over this, which is why I can only assume they have something else in store for the team.
This was a separate project from Mercs 3? How many teams did Pandemic have as of closing?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ravidrath said:
Three: Saboteur, Mercenaries 3 and Mercenaries Inc.
It seems there must be a fourth, or at least a prototyping team.

Superannuation said:
Mercenaries Inc.
Developed by Pandemic Studios
Published by Electronic Arts, Inc.
(Platform: PC, PS3 & Xbox360)
Release Date: Cancelled Winter 2009

Legends
Developed by Pandemic Studios
Published by Electronic Arts, Inc.
(Platform: PC, PS3 & Xbox360)
Release Date: Cancelled Summer 2008
http://www.linkedin.com/in/loyaltydivision
Source: http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/254975121/mercenaries-inc-developed-by-pandemic-studios

Unless Legends is Mercs 3 that is.

------

There was also Oddball from Pandemic Brisbane: http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/254916406/a-promotional-video-for-pandemic-brisbanes

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ninja Scooter said:
wasn't there also a team in AU that was working on the Batman game?
Yeah, they were closed earlier. They were also making "The Next Big Thing" (a Wii kart racing game) and the Oddball game linked above.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Ravidrath said:
No, 20 core people from Mercs Inc. were the ones that were moved into EALA.
So…the guy was lying when he said "In the months ahead, we will announce plans for new games based on Pandemic franchises."?

Also, what was Magellan?

I have not got into the saboteur game so far, but considering this is the last game Pandemic makes, I might consider buying it.

Hopefully all those who lost their jobs get back on their feet soon.

Cheers

Ravidrath

cuyahoga said:
So…the guy was lying when he said "In the months ahead, we will announce plans for new games based on Pandemic franchises."?

Also, what was Magellan?

I can't say what the deal with the new Pandemic franchises announcement is about. As in I don't know.

Magellan was the codename for Lord of the Rings: Conquest.

Corto

Dartastic said:
I worked in the Certification department and I've played through the entire thing multiple times. I concur with this statement. The game is good, and I hope people actually play it because it's pretty damn fun.

You and zeenbor rooting for the game even after loosing your jobs is a class act and inspiring to anyone that is involved in some kind of creative work... I sure hope you guys land on your feet and start working real soon. Good Luck!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I should say...not the Mercenaries team...but the Mercenaries 3 design/code/whatever. They can't possibly give up on Mercs3, can they? 2 sold 1.9 million copies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Consoles claims another victim. =/

Reform and bring those ideas to the PC realm away from the silliness of the console rat race.

Johann

Y2Kev said:
I should say...not the Mercenaries team...but the Mercenaries 3 design/code/whatever. They can't possibly give up on Mercs3, can they? 2 sold 1.9 million copies.

I don't think it's completely out of the question but Mercenaries 2 did not meet expectations. EA has other franchises/licenses that have some overlap with Mercenaries or a better return on investment.

Ravidrath

Y2Kev said:

Mercs 2 was a colossal disappointment to EA. The game was in development for 4+ years with a giant team, and frequently had to subsume resources from other teams to make their deadlines. Even then, however, it was 2 years late - it was originally planned to be a PS3 launch title.

Top Bottom