• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rip retail. Amazon beginning Sunday delivery (starting in LA/NY)

At what cost though? I love my Prime membership and all, but you're already working your warehouse employees to the bone with almost zero respect to their own being. Not sure how I feel about bending them over even harder, even if it means greater convenience for myself.

But I guess I'm part of the problem since I pay for Prime.

well if it keep the USPS from completely dying, maybe its not so bad. Don't know long term though.

SaberVulcan

At what cost though? I love my Prime membership and all, but you're already working your warehouse employees to the bone with almost zero respect to their own being. Not sure how I feel about bending them over even harder, even if it means greater convenience for myself.

But I guess I'm part of the problem since I pay for Prime.

I guess this is a known issue I was not privy to, Amazon employees being mistreated? Sucks if so, especially if some are forced now to work Sundays... but as previously said, if this is a deal they made with the USPS its pretty significant given the downward spiral it has been facing.

bjork

Good for consumers, good for Amazon, good for problem-ridden USPS.

Good for bjork, most times I am out on a Sunday at a Best Buy or whatever, I'm disappointed by their selection and wish I'd stayed home and ordered online in the first place.

Fehyd

Banned
I don't think retail will "die" until I can buy on friday and receive it on friday.

Too many times ive needed something immediately and shipping isnt an option. Heck Amazon is part of the reason I have to drive into Boston for decent PC parts.

I don't think retail will "die" until I can buy on friday and receive it on friday.

Too many times ive needed something immediately and shipping isnt an option. Heck Amazon is part of the reason I have to drive into Boston for decent PC parts.

pc parts? Unless its something dire, like parts are broke, amazon was the way to go for no taxes (now there are taxes, newegg still has no tax here).

Kyleoty

Neo Member
How long before Google owns Amazon, Or do they already, LOL

If that is the case I wonder if they will deliver to the Google Car when you are on your way to work.

jcm

The Washington Post's story make it sound like it will be widespread quickly:

The initiative will begin immediately in Los Angeles and New York and spread to the Washington area and much of the rest of the nation next year, Postal Service officials said. The partnership should help the turnaround effort underway at the financially strapped Postal Service, they said.

This is exciting news. Hope it's cheaper than Saturday delivery.

farisr

I'm jelly.

Over here all online retailers/shipments don't do anything on both Saturdays and Sundays. So take for instance the ps4 launch. If you happen to live far away from their warehouses that you don't receive it on friday. You won't be getting a ps4 till at least monday.

I'm pretty much done with retail anyway for most things. I still try to buy clothes in stores because I like to try them on, and I go to Lowes for all my home improvement/maintenance stuff but even that's starting to give way to Amazon.

numble

Oh, don't worry, Amazon is making a TON of money. They just have some very clever financial arrangements and stuff, so they get little taxes and all.
No, tax accounting is different from financial accounting. That's why you'll see Google report billions in profit in its financial statements, but pay very little tax because the accounting to governments is different. Same with other companies. Almost akin to how you can say you make X salary to your friends, but the income reported to the government is lowered via deductions, exemptions, credits, etc.

Aiustis

I am in Ohio and it started yesterday (Sunday).

I saw the USPS carrier come down my road and I thought: "... are they really delivering Killzone on a Sunday?"
They sure were!

Also in Ohio. Someone knocked on my apartment complex door yesterday and said "mail" thought it was a joke at first.

kewlmyc

Retail isn't quite dead. My state is going to start taxing Amazon next year. I can understand why, but it still sucks. Might as well go buy from retail now except for niche products.

This is still big news though.

JLG-

So i'm assuming the USPS + Amazon partnership includes holiday shipping? Because USPS just delivered my Amazon package today and i'm pretty sure today is a postal holiday.

Fucking awesome. I'm in the Los Angeles area btw.
3AQmK.gif

Squalltdx

I had my first Sunday delivery a week ago when I ordered a DS4 controller for my PS3/PC. I thought the date was a mistake at first since I forgot about this thing.

That kind of is game over situation. Good news is, might make other people step their game up.

My opinion, the real winner is the courier.

Zafir

They already have this in the UK, it's been quite good when I've used it.
Err, they do?

Royal Mail deliver on Saturdays, but they certainly don't do Sundays(Excluding the few Sundays they set up to get rid of backlog if something happens).

So i'm assuming the USPS + Amazon partnership includes holiday shipping? Because USPS just delivered my Amazon package today and i'm pretty sure today is a postal holiday.

Fucking awesome. I'm in the Los Angeles area btw.
3AQmK.gif

Depends how it was shipped. There are certain methods that USPS ships for all 365 days which ignores the usual postal holidays. Express mail is one of those methods.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Iywdl2e.jpg

Amazon is the best! Hopefully this comes to Las Vegas as well. Also hoping they eventually get their AmazonFresh to this area one day.

Nevasleep

They already do it in some areas of the UK, but it's expensive as they use "same day couriers".
Err, they do?

Royal Mail deliver on Saturdays, but they certainly don't do Sundays(Excluding the few Sundays they set up to get rid of backlog if something happens).
You need to live near a distribution centre or big city, then you get the option of same day delivery 7 days a week. Royal Mail same day deliver on Sundays.

Top Bottom