• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Rōnin | OT | Gaming Edo Age Forums

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've been clearing out the map and finally went to level up my stats after a couple of hours. I had like 24 skill points waiting for me lol

This game makes it easy to become overleveled really quickly. Might need to bump up the difficulty since I can barely get a couple of hits in on an enemy before they die.

Also, because I'm loving the combat so much, I really hope the devs implement a feature to reset enemy bases
Yea, It's actually getting relatively easy for me too. Granted, I'm way over-leveled so I'm sure it'll balance out at some point but it's nice to dominate for the time being. I am getting better overall though. I mostly dodge now, I realized that it be pretty effective to dodge sideways during longer combos and then parry the last attack. So damn satisfying when it works out and you get that critical hit.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yeah I saw that, especially story missions. Then I’d finish the mission and nothing else was unlocked. Shit is so confusing.
Reading your posts and seeing your profile pic, lmao.

This video probably covers it. I'm not sure what unlocks stances, I have a bunch though. I know leveling up your bond with a character is a factor, and check your other weapons if you haven't already. You may have unlocked stances, just not for the weapon you're using.

YukiOnna

Yea, It's actually getting relatively easy for me too. Granted, I'm way over-leveled so I'm sure it'll balance out at some point but it's nice to dominate for the time being. I am getting better overall though. I mostly dodge now, I realized that it be pretty effective to dodge sideways during longer combos and then parry the last attack. So damn satisfying when it works out and you get that critical hit.
I'm stubborn and still try to parry because it simply looks cool. I do dodge but there's zero blocking from me, lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Game snuck up on me. . GAF consensus?
Im loving it but I can see why it got lower scores. I think reviews focused way too much on visual fidelity though. The game is gorgeous at times and it's damn fun to play. It has a great vibe and I love the combat, stealth, traversal, atmosphere, etc. Game snuck up on me, I did not expect to get this absorbed in it.

I'm stubborn and still try to parry because it simply looks cool. I do dodge but there's zero blocking from me, lol.
This is pretty much how I play, too. I'm stubbornly trying to play this like Sekiro, so I'm only relying on countersparks if I can help it.

I heard a tip from someone else that really helped with this playstyle - you can hold L1 to block and cancel out of it into a counterspark with triangle . Makes things a lot more forgiving if you happen to be late on the timing.

Feels good to play, atmosphere is great, and it's generally just a cozy game to play. Not mind-blowing by any means with some obvious flaws, but nowhere near as bad as reception it got.

Overall it's quite an enjoyable experience, and especially appealing to folks that like Sekiro, Ninja Gaiden, and Ghost of Tsushima. This is most likely why it clicks so well with me.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just FYI,

Hold the options button down on the dual sense in order to access your gestures. Some made me laugh hard last night, gonna be entertaining to spam them in coop.

Had to take a short break from Rebirth (nearing 100 hours clocked!) and all I can say is this game is lit as fuck, see exhibit A:

Tenchu/Sekiro combat vibes in what is clearly a Ghost of Tsushima inspired world, all swaying grass, rolling hills, gorgeous vistas. Loving the combat which feels like a natural evolution of Nioh/Wo Long, loving the stealth too. There is definitely some jank (hello horse animation lol), texture pop-in, weirdness with the framerate but *at times* the game is beautiful.

Anyway, I know this is one I'll be spending a lot of time with once I've finally finished Rebirth/Unicorn Overlord, what a year 2024 is turning out to be, Stellar Blade right around the corner!

Last edited:
It's a ton of fun and it doesn't look nearly as bad as others have said. I'm playing in performance mode and it runs great and the graphics aren't that off putting at all. The combat has a strong ninja gaiden fell to it and the open world has a million things you can find and do if you feel like it. You can get overpowered pretty easily if you do a ton of side stuff between story missions. I'm coming off of beating Sekiro right into this so I find it kind of easy but it is a ton of FUN!!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Had to take a short break from Rebirth (nearing 100 hours clocked!) and all I can say is this game is lit as fuck, see exhibit A:

Tenchu/Sekiro combat vibes in what is clearly a Ghost of Tsushima inspired world, all swaying grass, rolling hills, gorgeous vistas. Loving the combat which feels like a natural evolution of Nioh/Wo Long, loving the stealth too. There is definitely some jank (hello horse animation lol), texture pop-in, weirdness with the framerate but *at times* the game is beautiful.

Anyway, I know this is one I'll be spending a lot of time with once I've finally finished Rebirth/Unicorn Overlord, what a year 2024 is turning out to be, Stellar Blades right around the corner!

Are those the dual sword weapons?

I played with spear/saber for a while and am now on spear/odachi.

I thought at first that you had to stick with your build choice but it seems like that is just to get your build jumpstarted in a specific direction. Seems like you can use any weapon and aren't gatekept from experimenting. I'll probably experiment with different loadouts next time I play.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reached the third region and the frame rate has turned to utter shit.

Nearly non-stop stuttering.

Doesn't look like VRR works for this game at all.

Started my journey, Graphics are not so good but that's a given. I'm completely fine because the gameplay is superb.

Which modes do you prefer playing on. Prioritize FPS, Graphics or Ray Tracing. Note: I don't mind playing my games on 30 fps too. But if the difference is negligible I'll stay on FPS.

GJxp4wAakAA_wIY

GJxp4wTakAAKvpT

Started my journey, Graphics are not so good but that's a given. I'm completely fine because the gameplay is superb.

Which modes do you prefer playing on. Prioritize FPS, Graphics or Ray Tracing. Note: I don't mind playing my games on 30 fps too. But if the difference is negligible I'll stay on FPS.

GJxp4wAakAA_wIY

GJxp4wTakAAKvpT
Call me a heretic, but I prefer the graphics mode since the lower resolutions on performance and RT mode just make the image look too soft on my 55" display. There's a lot of FSR2 artifacting for thin geometry like blades of grass and hair so the lower resolutions do it no favors here.

I also don't mind 30fps since the input lag is minimal for this game, but there are some weird things going on with uneven frame times.

Can't wait to buy this again on PC - DLSS3, 16x anisotropic filtering, 4K resolution, and mods for a dynamic HUD will clean this game up quite nicely. Add in some reshade effects to sprinkle in higher quality AO and the game will be absolutely beautiful. Art direction and color use is already fantastic, just needs a couple of tweaks to smooth out some of the rough edges.

adamsapple

Yeah, doesn't appear to be working unfortunately:

Yeah, I saw that video too.

I understand that sites like DF probably only spend the first couple of hours playing a game to test it, especially for big open world titles like this, but the Kyoto region runs considerably worse than the first region in the game, it's chugging on seemingly empty streets, and the Kyoto map is also the smallest of the three. So it's just baffling and comes off very poorly.

Yeah, I saw that video too.

I understand that sites like DF probably only spend the first couple of hours playing a game to test it, especially for big open world titles like this, but the Kyoto region runs considerably worse than the first region in the game, it's chugging on seemingly empty streets, and the Kyoto map is also the smallest of the three. So it's just baffling and comes off very poorly.
Yeah, I'm still clearing out Yokohama so I've got a ways to go before I make it to Tokyo, but the performance definitely sounds weird if there's little activity going on.

Is there snow in that region? Surprisingly, they've implemented a terrain deformation system so you can leave trails in the snow. I say "surprising" because that's fairly advanced rendering technique and one that is notably expensive.

adamsapple

Yeah, I'm still clearing out Yokohama so I've got a ways to go before I make it to Tokyo, but the performance definitely sounds weird if there's little activity going on.

Is there snow in that region? Surprisingly, they've implemented a terrain deformation system so you can leave trails in the snow. I say "surprising" because that's fairly advanced rendering technique and one that is notably expensive.

No, no snow.

Made this small video which shows a part of what I'm talking about. Definitely seen a lot worse than this capture, but in this you can see frequent stutter as the horse gallops through the street and I pan the camera.

Last edited:
No, no snow.

Made this small video which shows a part of what I'm talking about. Definitely seen a lot worse than this capture, but in this you can see frequent stutter as the horse gallops through the street and I pan the camera.

Woah yeah, that's a pretty noticeable dip. Watching video, the one thing that sticks out to me is how it consistently happens after crossing a boundary of sorts - looks to be something related to asset loading as you move into a new level/area.

Last edited:

Ogbert

You’ll need to incorporate block later in the game, especially when it starts chucking multiple high level mobs at you.

I’ve gone the opposite way and pretty much dropped dodge. As far as I can tell, I think the optimum way to play is with block, counterspark on red or obvious attacks, and then balls out attack with chi pulse.

Still enjoying it.

Loot is a pain in the arse though. Just bucket loads of absolute garbage drops that are drenched in pointless stats. I can’t be arsed with it.

Last edited:
Yeah the game does give you way too much loot. I was shocked at first that you have a TWO THOUSAND count for loot but I guess you need all of that. And so much of it sucks.

Are those the dual sword weapons?

I played with spear/saber for a while and am now on spear/odachi.

I thought at first that you had to stick with your build choice but it seems like that is just to get your build jumpstarted in a specific direction. Seems like you can use any weapon and aren't gatekept from experimenting. I'll probably experiment with different loadouts next time I play.

I started with Dual Swords + Katana but the weapon in the vid is a Sabre I picked up off a soldier, I've been experimenting with all the different weapons 👍

adamsapple

My boy GONZO riding with me all the way to the final battle!

Never letting this dude go.

Yeah the game does give you way too much loot. I was shocked at first that you have a TWO THOUSAND count for loot but I guess you need all of that. And so much of it sucks.

At a point it's just best to use the auto-disassemble (or auto-sell if that's what you prefer) in the settings so you don't have to deal with it.

Last edited:
Call me a heretic, but I prefer the graphics mode since the lower resolutions on performance and RT mode just make the image look too soft on my 55" display. There's a lot of FSR2 artifacting for thin geometry like blades of grass and hair so the lower resolutions do it no favors here.

I also don't mind 30fps since the input lag is minimal for this game, but there are some weird things going on with uneven frame times.

Can't wait to buy this again on PC - DLSS3, 16x anisotropic filtering, 4K resolution, and mods for a dynamic HUD will clean this game up quite nicely. Add in some reshade effects to sprinkle in higher quality AO and the game will be absolutely beautiful. Art direction and color use is already fantastic, just needs a couple of tweaks to smooth out some of the rough edges.

I won't, it's just a preference. I don't feel 'oh, boy my head is spinning after playing on 30 fps, I can't pley anymore, welp' .. I'm playing on a bigger screen and in some games I too prefer graphics mode. This game in particular I started on FPS mode and besides few pop ups I don't feel it's bad. Although it does looks like a PS3 game but that's for a reason I suppose. There's a lot of fast paced combat and animations going on so I don't blame devs much. They might have learned many things and we may get a proper looking game from Team Ninja with the same amazing combat next time.

I might get it on PC too when it arrives after a year, but I preferably choose console.

The combat smacks. It may take time depending on how fast you learn and your skills but when you understands the basics it'll be tough to put down the controller.

Just got to Edo. Took me like 20 tries to beat the first boss of Edo(wont spoil) on Twilight difficulty. I'm really enjoying being able to swap weapons on the fly. In previous Team Ninja games you would have to spend like 30 min changing all your character stats to the weapon you want to use.

Also, I gotta give Team Ninja props for enemy variety. That was one of my biggest concerns, fighting only humans. It is almost overwhelming the various movesets common enemies have. It keeps the gameloop from ever getting stale. Boss fights are not as good as the Nioh games but enemy mobs are fantastic

Last edited:

Crownttano

Blue Demon, Twilight Difficulty in like 30 seconds

This is synced, meaning my equipment level and stats are completely down scaled limited to the mission (20) even tho I'm Player Level 30

Build
Marvelous Sword Saint 3 Pieces
Clear-Headed Samurai 2 Pieces
Master Strategist 3 Pieces

Really starting to get a better understanding of the combat and how I want to approach fights
At first I preferred Wo Long, but now I get it
And honestly I might very well like this back and forth concept more
Focus on Panic

Spent a couple of more hours with it as I push towards the final stretch in Rebirth. Yokohama is a fantastic location, this is such a cool, unexplored time period that really sets Ronin apart from the pack. Character switching was a pleasant surprise, petting cats is dope, glider assassinations ftw. DualSense haptics are on point too, I've said it dozens of times, good force feedback will always elevate a game to the next level and increase immersion/enjoyment, they came through here.

This is another game where I'll be spending a good chunk of my playtime in Photo Mode:

RUtZlVd.jpg
OBCIWdb.jpg
IodfxZO.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone try going the Pro-Shogunate route for act 1? I'm roleplaying as Kenshin, so I'm consistently siding with the Anti-Shogunate faction, but I'm tempted to see what the other side has to offer (Taka romancing option?)

Anyone try going the Pro-Shogunate route for act 1? I'm roleplaying as Kenshin, so I'm consistently siding with the Anti-Shogunate faction, but I'm tempted to see what the other side has to offer (Taka romancing option?)
I would just play both sides to get the most out of the game. You don't have to pick a side until later on in the game

Killer8

I'm 5 hours in at Yokohama and have a feeling this is going to go down as this generation's Days Gone. I can't say that I disagree that the game doesn't do much that's particularly new. It's fairly standard open world fare we've seen dozens of times before. However the combat is extremely satisfying which is no surprise coming from Team Ninja. Comparisons with Ghost of Tsushima is inevitable, and I feel the moment-to-moment gameplay felt more polished in that game, but Ronin's core combat loop is head and shoulders above it.

Ronin is basically the Nioh formula, with Sekiro's parry and guard break systems taken to their conclusion, and stretched out into an open world. People going into it knowing that's what they should be expecting seem to be having a blast - while reviewers wanting a Ghost of Tsushima clone are being left in the dust. Explains the diversion in the journalist and user scores on Metacritic.

The only thing I think the game really needs is PS5 Pro support. If they could get it locked at 60fps with the image quality of the Quality mode coupled with a bit better distant LOD, it would be a looker most of the time.

I’m in the second area now and I’m starting to hit the open world wall. I’m at 20 hours, wonder how much longer I have to go? I hope it’s not as bloated as Days Gone.

Top Bottom