• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of The Ronin Releases March 22, 2024 | The Game Awards 2023

FrankWza

Well it’s not great right? This isn’t an indie project, it’s a PlayStation production with a big name studio in Team Ninja. It’s AAA, it’s full price. So in 2024, >3y into the generation… I would expect more yes.
Their games are combat focused and a half a gen to not quite a full gen behind graphically. This looks a lot better than Nioh and those games are awesome. Looks like they fixed their fire graphics and that scene in the snow looks nice as well.

John Wick

Wow so excited for this and it's releasing really soon :pie_starstruck: Looks like a more story focused Nioh.

Q1 seems super stacked with TLOU2 Remaster, Yakuza Infinite Wealth, Persona 3 Remake, FF7 Rebirth, GrandBlue Fantasy Relink, Rise of Ronin, Dragon's Dogma 2.
Sony alone will be releasing/publishing a big game each month until April.
I think Sony should step in and try to move a game or two. No point in having too many games in one quarter.

StereoVsn

I think that the fiscal year for a ton of Japanese publishers ends on March 31st.
Do they understand that their customers are not laboring under the same Q4 reporting constraints, and releasing bunch of JRPGs/ARPGs in a 3 month span is kind of dumb?

Some of these games will fail to sell not based on the quality but rather due to the busy release period.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Looks pa3 game thou
Scooby Doo Help GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

LordCBH

Wow so excited for this and it's releasing really soon :pie_starstruck: Looks like a more story focused Nioh.

Q1 seems super stacked with TLOU2 Remaster, Yakuza Infinite Wealth, Persona 3 Remake, FF7 Rebirth, GrandBlue Fantasy Relink, Rise of Ronin, Dragon's Dogma 2.
Sony alone will be releasing/publishing a big game each month until April.

Fuck me I need a bigger SSD in my PS5 to hold all these games….

Hot5pur

This game looked very mid.
Team ninja have just been releasing Ni Oh reskins for the last little while. The latest wo long I thought was really bad.
All this time I just wanted a proper ninja gaiden reimagined for the new generation, but I think the old school character action games are basically done. Games need to be 100h+ RPGs to even stand a chance in today's AAA market.

Hohenheim

Had hoped for a PC version day 1, but since it don't seem like a very technically challenging game I have my fingers crossed for a stable 60fps.
Game looks very promising!

Been waiting for this one! Looks like an awesome hybrid of Sekiro and Ghost of Tsushima, some of favorite games from the previous generation. Sekiro in particular is my GOAT, so I'm really hoping Team Ninja delivers on the combat for this.

I've always wanted a dark, gritty samurai game that takes place during the Bakumatsu. I've dreamed of a game that really captures the atmosphere and tone of Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. Not a big fan of Rurouni Kenshin, but the Trust and Betrayal OVA is one of the best in the genre.

I'll be getting the game day one, but they really fucked up releasing the same day as DD2.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Banned
March is looking like Month of the Year 😂 Rise of the Ronin and Dragons Dogma 2, so damn hyped…Cant come soon enough either

For studios that provide amazing combat, I don't mind mediocre graphics. A game like Ghost of Tushima took Sucker Punch 6 years to develop. Rise of Ronin probably took 3-4 years comparatively. I'm not bothered by that trade off for a studio like Team Ninja
My man. Gameplay over graphics any day of the week.

On that note, art style over graphics, too. Ghost of Tsushima delivered on both in spades.

bender

What time is it?
Still a little concerned about this being open world. Team Ninja has been a little hit-and-miss with their Souls-likes though nothing that would be considered bad. Adding open world to the mix is a tough hill to climb though.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Looks cool but I'll be picking it up in the bargain bin a couple of years down the road. Q1 is pretty stacked for me with DD2, Silent Hill 2 and Eiyuden Chronicles. Maybe I'll even squeeze in another playthrough of TLOU2.

YukiOnna

Pre-orders are up and it looks like Sony will be publishing it in Japan as well.

Pre-orders include Early access to four Combat Styles, including:
  • Hayabusa-ryu for Katana
  • Hayabusa-ryu for Naginata
  • Nioh-ryu for Katana
  • Aisu Kage-ryu for Katana
About

Japan, 1863.

After three centuries of the Tokugawa Shogunate’s oppressive rule, the Black Ships of the West descend upon the nation’s borders and the country falls into a state of turmoil. Amidst the chaos of war, disease and political unrest, a nameless warrior forges their own path, holding the very fate of Japan in their hands.

Key Features

• Shape a Dynamic Story – As a masterless warrior—a Ronin, your destiny is your own. See the story unfold in different ways depending on the choices you make and the characters you ally with along the way. Face critical mission decisions—like whether to assassinate or protect key figures, and shape the course of history through a rich multi-choice system.
  • Engage in Deep Accessible Combat – From the veteran developers of Nioh and Ninja Gaiden, Rise of the Ronin offers deeply engaging yet accessible combat, with layers of complexity suitable for any playstyle. Face your foes with a selection of close-quarters weaponry or engage from afar with authentic period firearms.
  • Explore a Historically-Inspired World – The “Bakumatsu” period heralds the end of the Shogunate as a new era begins and East and West collide. Experience this cultural revolution across an open world where you’ll meet the key figures who’ll shape the course of history, and the ordinary citizens seeking a guiding light in the darkness.
PlayStation 5 Features

Immerse Yourself in 19th century Japan with PlayStation 5 console features.

• Feel the impact of combat with haptic feedback through the DualSense wireless controller.
  • Experience the click of your matchlock rifle’s trigger and more through the DualSense wireless controller’s adaptive triggers.
  • Hear the world around you—from the bustle of the capital’s streets to the tranquil sounds of the countryside with 3D spatial audio. (3D Audio via built-in TV speakers or analogue / USB stereo headphones.)
  • Get straight to the heart of the action with the PlayStation 5 console’s lightning-fast load times.
  • Explore a beautifully-rendered recreation of 19th century Japan in stunning detail.

465ab7297499ee2e8d3d625f9011cd055bd418aa0496fec0.jpg

I'm getting this after beating DD2 at some point. Only thing that worries me is level design, which is by far the weakest point of any Team Ninja game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I didn’t even know Wo Long existed until a few weeks ago. Bought it and played for a few hours before ejecting the disc and filing an Amazon return. It was dreadful. As you say, hopefully this is a return to form for them.
I'm a huge Team Ninja fan and I ended up hating it.

Last edited:
I didn’t even know Wo Long existed until a few weeks ago. Bought it and played for a few hours before ejecting the disc and filing an Amazon return. It was dreadful. As you say, hopefully this is a return to form for them.
Team Ninja has multiple teams. Rise of the Ronin is directed by Nioh 1 and Nioh 2 director, Fumihiko Yasuda. He is the president of Team Ninja. So that, alongside ROTR being Team Ninja's biggest budget ever has me insanely hyped

The outline above about player choices has me concerned though. Team Ninja has never attempted anything like that, not to mention it being open world too. It will be interesting. Easily my most hyped release for the first half of 2024. Nioh combat in an open world format with traversal abilities sounds too perfect. Like I said, hopefully this game can be like Elden Ring for Team Ninja, where it can engage with the mainstream without sacrificing what Team Ninja is amazing at. There should be a demo like every other Team Ninja game sometime early next year

Last edited:

How is it bad? I played the demo and it was similar quality to Nioh and all their recent games.

Top Bottom