• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

Mediking

I finally got to the first campsite! So many cool Lara costumes but I picked the one where she looks like Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn.

jrush64

Banned
God, I love this game sooooo much. It's so gooooood. Didn't even finish the Xbox version cus I needed to play this on PS4.

mulac

Going to Plat this I think - but i keep reading to "wait for PS4 Pro" which I have on preorder...does that mean PS4 current is the non optimal way?

Need me some best possible Lara Action.

Bladenic

How do you swan dive??

Looking at the trophies, no way in hell am I bothering with score attack or whatever.

Edit: finished Baba Yaga, it was aight but if I had paid 10 bucks for this as DLC I wouldn't have been terribly impressed. Otherwise it was good.

hawk2025

I must be living in blissful ignorance because I don't notice this input lag thing at all. Loving the game and having a blast with it. The story is definitely a bit hammy but I'm kinda enjoying the fact that the game doesn't take itself too seriously.

It takes itself VERY seriously. That's precisely the problem with the story.

Despite the very noticeable and distracting input lag/dead zones I find myself really enjoying this. I just hope they find someway to fix that problem cause I know for sure that I would have enjoyed the game a lot more if the controls were more responsive.

I'm pretty much avoiding any full blown combat right now :(

Bladenic

Is it bad that I have no problem with Lara being a mass murderer of people but I hate that you have to kill innocent bunnies and other wildlife?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm kinda getting used to the poor analog controls. Tbh I'm more annoyed by the auto-center camera.

Idk man... why do devs do this shit? At minimum should be a toggle in options.

Please someone tell me that you can disable that highlight skill that you get from one of the tombs. It's killing the immersion of the game for me right now. Please tell me there is an option somewhere to disable it, please.

Wanderer5

Please someone tell me that you can disable that highlight skill that you get from one of the tombs. It's killing the immersion of the game for me right now. Please tell me there is an option somewhere to disable it, please.

Try disabling survival instinct if the option is there. PC version least has two options of the instinct to disable, in which the glow disable option seems to do the trick. Might affect the red glow for the traps that you get too.

Try disabling survival instinct if the option is there. PC version least has two options of the instinct to disable, in which the glow disable option seems to do the trick. Might affect the red glow for the traps that you get too.

But I don't wanna disable the whole survival instinct... :(

I'll try this later and see if it does the trick. If I can switch the SI during the game from options then I might disable it now and then enable it again in some parts that I feel I need it.

But ffs Crystal Dynamics, you should have at least put an option for disabling that one skill.

Reebot

This input lag, wow. Just terrible, and borderline game ruining. How did it ship like this?

I like everything else.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Jesus, what did I just spend my money on? I can't believe how annoying this game is in every conceivable way. Controls are janky, aiming is all over the shop and traversal is so bad I'm really not looking forward to exploring at all. I'm not even going to mention the story, acting, script or pacing.

This input lag, wow. Just terrible, and borderline game ruining. How did it ship like this?

I like everything else.

Jesus, what did I just spend my money on? I can't believe how annoying this game is in every conceivable way. Controls are janky, aiming is all over the shop and traversal is so bad I'm really not looking forward to exploring at all. I'm not even going to mention the story, acting, script or pacing.

Yeah... okay, i'm going to wait a bit.

Mediking

Are we playing the same damn game? This game is awesome and fun!

JJShadow

Input lag/dead zone is quite noticeable, and the story is quite meh, but besides this, I'm 6-7 hours in and I'm really loving it. Tombs are amazing, just completed the second one and cannot wait to find a new one

I really like how the game is far more focused on exploration than the previous one, and I'm finding the pace quite good, mixing both exploration/"chill" moments with shooting and "blowing things up" moments

Cannot wait to get home later to keep playing

You know when the step off the curb but don't realise it and suddenly jar your back? UC4 is the pavement and ROTT is the gutter. Slight exaggeration but my God, I'm so bloody disappointed with this game.

"Slight" exaggeration? I wouldnt call that slight. It is a damn fine game but dont come in expecting the presentation value of UC4.

Mediking

"Slight" exaggeration? I wouldnt call that slight. It is a damn fine game but dont come in expecting the presentation value of UC4.

Rise's cool entrance to Syria at the beginning of the game reminds me of Uncharted 4's amazing Marooned chapter. Both have crazy high presentation value.

Jennipeg

Just started and I appreciate seeing someone climbing in actual climbing gear, and I have no sympathy for Lara possibly falling off a mountain when she knew there was a storm.

The controls don't feel great, i'll adjust but Lara's movement isn't very smooth, i'm not sure if that's lag, animation or camera but I remember it being better in the last game. Like I say i'll get used to it.

I played through once on Xbone, once more on PC, and if I were to get a Pro I would gladly buy this game again and play it a 3rd time. Game is phenomenal.

KORNdoggy

for those that have played this to completion. is there more or less combat than the reboot? and can you bypass most of it via stealth?

Maybe it only works in Chapter Replay Elite? That's what I selected and it worked, I managed to replay the Syria chapter with the Angel of Darkness skin.

It's still not ideal since I assume the cards should be there for any mode, so it's weird that they're completely missing. I really hope they'll patch them in.

oh holy shit, AOD skin!? if I kinda hated TR2013 and adore TR 1-C will I like this game?

oh holy shit, AOD skin!? if I kinda hated TR2013 and adore TR 1-C will I like this game?

As a huge fan of the older games I can say - not really.
It's pretty much a slightly improved TR2013 (more exploration, better puzzles), with a worse combat system due to the awful dead zone and input lag.
If you hated TR2013 I doubt this would change your mind unfortunately.

Poona

Is it bad that I have no problem with Lara being a mass murderer of people but I hate that you have to kill innocent bunnies and other wildlife?

I don't think so. Having humans to shoot at has been the case for like forever in games. So it's taken for what it is, a game. You introduce other things, and it doesn't seem all that good. I have to just tell myself the animals are really some spiritless alien robot monster thing.

As a huge fan of the older games I can say - not really.
It's pretty much a slightly improved TR2013 (more exploration, better puzzles), with a worse combat system due to the awful dead zone and input lag.
If you hated TR2013 I doubt this would change your mind unfortunately.

I just want a spiritual successor to the original games by this point, the controls weren't even that bad, just really specific.

EDIT: in regards to the original games that is. Dead zone issue's and input lag in a game supposedly to do with platforming and shooting... urgh

Took me a few tries, but even with the janky aiming I was able to get the Rotisserie trophy. Feels good and bad (poor chicken).

I wish I had a better handle on the stealth mechanics. Walking through the combat areas (after I inevitably screw up and have to gun my way out) it's clear they put a lot of thought into them.

The dodge-kill mechanic feels...off, compared to 2013. Whenever those shield heavies show up I can never get the timing down. Same with wolves, or any other enemy, really. Maybe it was too easy in 2013? I dunno.

For better or worse it seems like poison arrows are incredibly overpowered and can get you out of most situations. And there have definitely been a few encounters I've accidentally won by kiting enemies around while another chucks grenades behind me, blowing up the pursuers.

I think I'm about 60% or so through the game. Looking forward to finishing it and wrapping up the challenges, tombs and DLC.

KiteGr

I started playing a few hours and realized that the game has a ton of weapons and costumes unlocked.
These are most likely because of the included DLC, but how much of them where part of the original game. Did they accidentally include the "unlock everything" code?
How can I play the game without them for the true experience?

I started playing a few hours and realized that the game has a ton of weapons and costumes unlocked.
These are most likely because of the included DLC, but how much of them where part of the original game. Did they accidentally include the "unlock everything" code?
How can I play the game without them for the true experience?

I looked them up and they're all from the retail-specific preorder DLC from the Xbox One release. So far I've just ignored them and stuck to the default weapons and unlocks (though I accidentally equipped the old western style bolt action rifle in the last fight I had and damn, those preorder weapons are good).

Was hopping onto my 360 copy for the free 10k credits, when I noticed that most of the DLC was free. The Baba Yaga, Endurance, and Cold Darkness stuff included.

Checked the Marketplace page to see them still listed as $10 each. A fortunate glitch people with the 360 version should be jumping at? Or did I miss an announcement?

CyberChulo

I'm not sure that we should assume a patch is coming considering they had a year to fix this issue from the Xbone version lmao

This is true but the Xbone version didn't sell that many. Now it's available to 40+ million customers. If we make enough noise, maybe they'll think about fixing it to meet their 6 million sold goals to be profitable.

C'mon, Shin.... just play it now and have fun. Does having a 1st impression with 4K mean that much to you????

The three modes are “4K Resolution,” “High Frame Rate,” and “Enriched Visuals.” 4K Resolution displays the game at 4K/30 FPS. High Frame Rate pushes frame rate towards 60 at 1080p, while Enriched Visuals includes enhanced graphics in the old 1080p/30 FPS combo.
sauce

two pro modes for 1080p. He just wants to experience the game in a more glorious fashion!

Top Bottom