• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

Cornbread78

BQYfUvB.jpg

Developer(s): Crystal Dynamics
(PS4 Port done by Nixxes Software)
Publisher(s): Square Enix, Microsoft Studios
Platforms: (360/XB1/PS4/Win)
Release date(s:)
Xbox 360, Xbox One: Nov, 10/13, 2015
Microsoft Windows: Jan, 28, 2016
PlayStation 4: October 11, 2016
Genre: Action-adventure
Mode: Single-player, multiplayer Price: 59.99

* PSN Pre-orders included TR:DE

Retail Box Art:
bBPqmvZ.jpg

Artbook Edition
9vDFRlY.jpg

Early Adaptation Bonus:
HMM0TEa.jpg

ynbLKvA.gif

New Modes:
The headline addition is a new story chapter, 'Blood Ties' – which will be playable using PlayStation VR if you so choose. "When Lara's uncle contests ownership of the Manor, Lara must explore the estate to find proof that she is the rightful heir, or lose her birthright and father's secrets for good," the press release reads. An extra mode named 'Lara's Nightmare' will then see you defending the mansion from zombies.

There's more: you'll get all of the previously released DLC out of the box, as well a new co-op mode named Endurance. "Two players must team up to survive the harsh elements by day, as well as lethal threats from enemies by night. Fire takes fuel, food restores health, and every resource must be hunted, collected, or crafted. Battle to the top of the leaderboards, as others try to beat your longest survival run."

Included DLC:
Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch:
- replaces human enemies with ghosts, monsters, and spooky skeletons.

Cold Darkness Awakened:
- it’s a fun and frantic hour-long experience which eschews Tomb Raider’s usual bad-guys-with-guns for a horde of far less predictable subterranean zombies.

Blood Ties:*
The main part of Blood Ties is a non-violent, short gaming experience consisting of lots of listening to audio clips and peering at found objects as the player spends one night exploring a big house.
*<bundled with the PS4 release and being offered as paid $10 DLC (or part of the season pass) for Xbox One and PC>

Story:
It is the sequel to the 2013 video game Tomb Raider, a reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. ... The game's storyline follows Lara Croft as she ventures into Siberia in search of the legendary city of Kitezh, whilst battling a paramilitary organization that intends on beating her to the city's promise of immortality.

Coming PS4K Modes:
- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices
- 1080p high framerate, the game locked at 60 FPS
- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

PS4K vs MaxPC 4K:
dFXMnSU.jpg

Tomb Raider PS4 Pro version vs PC Maxed out 4k screenshot comparison

PS4/PC/XB1
vrypjLP.jpg

Screenshots:
OeWAg5S.jpg

67PMwFA.jpg

FP7dBH6.jpg

SHimsW2.jpg

tUSAI12.jpg

Videos:

Launch Trailer:
20th Anniversary Launch Trailer

Blood Ties Trailer:
Blood Ties Trailer

PSVR Gameplay:
TR PSVR Gameplay

PS4 Endourance Gameplay
https://youtu.be/KU-qAqGXa6o

DF: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC 4K #1:
DF doing their thang

Previous Reviews:
Metacritic:
(PC) 86/100
(XONE) 86/100

Current Reviews:
Metcritic

Related Threads:
Review Thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1291928

PC Performance Thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175642&highlight=tomb+raider

RoTR PC OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1176297&highlight=tomb+raider

RoTR OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137380&highlight=tomb+raider

4NbStpQ.jpg

8TMeIVf.jpg

mbtbnp6.jpg

*Further Updates to be made*

Bought the Xbox one version when it was out just rebought this for PS4. Loved it when I completed it in the 24 charity stream I had. Will be nice to play it more casually now. Does this have a vr mode?

Also from the initial play through this morning it seems much smoother on ps4

ZeroX03

Banned
Already bought on XB1 but never completed and will be rebuying it in December on PS4 for $30 or whatever it drops. Looking forward to it, Neo enhanced to boot.

Is it locked 60fps in one of the graphical modes though? I thought it was unlocked.

JayB1920

Im looking forward to what DF has to say regarding input lag/dead zone. Never had an issue on PC but it was awful on the Xbox One and they said it wasn't a problem on an earlier build of the PS4 version.

For first time players something to make the game more enjoyable is to ignore the extra bloat and collectibles. In the region summary page focus on the more interesting and useful collectibles and side content. Relics, documents, and murals give backstory/lore. Strongboxes give you weapon parts. Missions, tombs, and crypt treasures give you useful skills, rewards and gear. Ignore survival caches, coin caches and challenges as they just kill the pacing and are a pain to do them all. The amount of backtracking to collect survival/coin caches is terrible and challenges are a pain trying to complete them all without using guide. It's infuriating to completely comb through a map only to have coin/survival caches magically form there later on once you find specific backpack or monolith. It really drags the game down trying to collect all that junk and do all the menial tasks.

-You will have more than enough resources to craft with by gathering/hunting so there is no need to collect survival caches.
-You will have more than enough coins to make a few purchases by exploring/doing missions so there is no need to collect coin caches.
-You will have more than enough skill points for any skill you want doing everything else so there is no need to complete challenges.

Another thing I would recommend is turning off Survival instincts all together. Certain skills will make pickups automatically glow gold and traps automatically glow red which completely takes you out of the game and ruins the element of surprise.

dreamfall

Are there any new outfits and skins besides the PS1 Lara? Don't think I can justify a triple dip but I hope the PS4 players enjoy it.

It you liked the Reboot, you'll enjoy this. It's more of the same, but the hubs are a lot more fun to collect everything and it's a lot grander!

Looking forward to checking out the Manor later today, but I'm a little disappointed that the Anniverary Update didn't add DualShock 4 support on PC :(

I've been waiting very patiently for the past year to play this, as I absolutely loved the reboot. I even managed to completely avoid all spoilers. I pre-ordered it the first chance I got, and played through the reboot last week just to refresh my muscle memory.

I played it for about 1.5 hours this morning before work and really enjoyed what I played. Feels like more of the same, which is a good thing in my book. I did not notice any input lag or dead zone, although admittedly I'm not 100% sure what those really are. Everything played responsive for me, and I had no issues with missing jumps or targets.

Can't wait to keep playing!

JayB1920

Anyone who enjoyed the reboot or even those who though it was ok but lacking in puzzles/exploration and tombs should check this game out. They really took a step in the right direction in both the main story tombs and optional tombs. The main story tombs take a step toward the larger scale puzzles of old with multiple steps spread around the level separated by platforming, combat and exploration. The optional Tombs are improved as well with each one being visually distinct and and some have relatively clever puzzles.

AmyS

I thought Crystal Dynamics said in an interview that the higher frame rate mode would have an unlocked frame rate, at about 45 fps, I don't remember reading 60 fps.

Can someone clarify, with sources ?

Nevermind. targetting 60 fps, won't always get there, but north of 45 fps.

MilkBeard

I have the game preordered, I'm pumped to start playing it as soon as I return home (which will be in a few days, unfortunately).

My copy should have arrived today, but I won't be able to play it for a while. I've come so close to finishing 100ft Robot Golf's campaign, it's basically a priority.

Is there a day one 337 patch?

jrush64

Banned
Really loved this game. The lack of all the extremely majorly shitty cliche characters from the first one makes this sooo much better (Reyes and that other guy with glasses... Urgh)

My copy should be arriving by Tomorrow hopefully.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm pretty excited to dive into the new DLC on the Xbox One. I'm always happy to have new Tomb Raider DLC. Nice OT.

GeeTeeCee

I managed to play a little bit earlier today. I'm considering starting a drinking game where you have to take a drink every time a little of Camilla Luddington's Americanised accent sneaks through into Lara's English accent.

Based on the first 15 minutes, this drinking game may kill me.

I've been reading a lot of people saying they are waiting until the game is sub $20 before they buy it....

I might be guilty of this as well...

Yeah its interesting why, with all the DLC (without trying them yet), its a pretty heft package i had no problem paying full price for.

hbkdx12

Whats the deal with all these cards? I'm assuming they're one time consumables and modifiers for the expedition mode?

Literally the first trophy i got was from opening all the gift packs full of cards

Awesome OT... thanks :)

I'm holding my breath now and will wait till I get the PS4 Pro on Nov.10 and this will be the first thing I'll play on it.

Edit:
Wait... ALL the PS4 versions the Disc is put inside the art book!? there's no regular version where the disc in put inside the regular PS4's case?

I've been reading a lot of people saying they are waiting until the game is sub $20 before they buy it....

I might be guilty of this as well...

Definitely.

I believe the overall hurt comes from the fact that Crystal decided to keep the biggest fanbase waiting on the playstation brand for a year.

This paid delay will hurt them even more.

Spinky

Am I stupid or are the classic costumes nowhere to be found? Game was just updated on PC.

EDIT: Yeah never mind I'm stupid, ANOTHER update is downloading now.

I managed to play a little bit earlier today. I'm considering starting a drinking game where you have to take a drink every time a little of Camilla Luddington's Americanised accent sneaks through into Lara's English accent.

Based on the first 15 minutes, this drinking game may kill me.

i don't like her take on the character at all tbh. could be the direction but here weird americanized british doesn't help. it's so bad

seriously don't play that drinking game lol

Amazon messed up and I'm not getting my copy of ROTTR until tomorrow but it's kinda ok 'cause I need to finish Mafia III, will this game ever end.

I think that's the only version.

WHAT THE HELL!!!

Why couldn't they do like The Witcher 3.... why putting the game inside the art book itself instead of a regular PS4 case, that will totally ruin the collection I've worked really hard and LONG years to build.

I'm so pissed and angry and annoyed now :\

If this is not annoyed for you then good for you.... but for ME this is freaking annoying :mad:

If this was first print only then I will wait for a regular version.... serouisly this is so annoying.

This is the only way I'm going to buy the game:

14591700_10157509619430632_1827020812759298253_n.jpg

Other than that... no way in hell I'm going to buy the game.

WHAT THE HELL!!!

Why couldn't they do like The Witcher 3.... why putting the game inside the art book itself instead of a regular PS4 library, that will totally ruin the collection I've worked really hard and LONG years to build.

I'm so pissed and angry and annoyed now :\

If this is not annoyed for you then good for you.... but for ME this is freaking annoying :mad:

If this was first print only then I will wait for a regular version.... serouisly this is so annoying.
Have the same feelings. Hate when they have to put the disc in some artbook bullshit.

Make it separated you cheap guys. Wanted to pick it up when its later cheap anyway.

SURGEdude

Looking forward to replaying this. It was a blast on PC and still fun despite the input lag on XB1. PS4 only owners are in for a treat.

UrbanRats

Can you lock to 30 from withing the game, on pc? It looks like stable 60 aint happening on my rig. (The benchmark claims 50 but it looks like 25).

Bollocks

damn the artbook edition is looking ace, didn't even notice I actually got this, thought I bought the regular version until I unwrapped it.

Top Bottom