• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

Gxgear

It's so maddening when they force the special day 1 editions on you without a regular case. Guess I"ll return mine and wait.

flattie

Just started playing. Never touched the X1 version so don't know how the controls compare, but they feel awful here. The camera seems to have a noticeable delay between your moving the stick and it responding. Really don't like it. I can deal with large dead zones, but the delayed response just makes controlling Lara feel sluggish.

I don't remember this being an issue in the DE version of the original and remember thoroughly enjoying the controls.

Not a great start but I'll persist and hopefully will adapt to how things are.

Ogni-XR21

Liking it so far, but I've only played maybe 2 hours. Had to come here and post about the deadzone, it's driving me insane. I don't have a problem with input lag, at least I did not notice any yet (playing with aim assist anyway), but that dead zone of the right stick is irritating me every time move the camera.

Is it by design? What the hell were they thinking.

At least the shaky cam seems to be toned down a little this time around.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What are the chances that they add her Legend outfit?

That's the best look aside from her TR2 winter outfit.

Bladenic

This isn't Uncharted 3 levels of shit but it does feel noticeably sluggish compared to TR13. I don't get it, did they play test this and everyone was like "yeah all gud?"

Mediking

Welp... now I'm worried. In class, I got a message that my package was signed for by somebody but I don't recognize the signature.... I REALLY hope the delivery guy just signed it and left it at my doorstep..... but if he/she did... why does the screen say my package was left at a office by somebody named ALSTON????

I'm rushing home now....

I hope to God the delivery guy left my games there OR a very nice neighbor decided to be a hero and signed it and is planning to give it to me.

I'm worried as hell.

dano1

A Sheep
Does anyone know if this game supports HDR on the standard PS4?

I have a 65" Sony 4K with HDR and the lightning looks incredible!!

If it isn't HDR they did an incredible job!! Just wow!

GeeTeeCee

Is the Baba Yaga stuff supposed to be played after the main story, or is it okay to play it during? Because the main menu message at the start of the game suggests that it's folded into the side-mission campaign stuff rather than being its own self-contained thing.

Toa TAK

Banned
So the Blood Ties expansion was pretty neat. Just finished collecting everything. I thought it was a nice compliment to the main game with Lara and her Dad and welcomed that it still keeps with the Tomb Raider theme with
the Manor itself being a crypt with the tomb of Lara's mother in the center.
Is the Baba Yaga stuff supposed to be played after the main story, or is it okay to play it during? Because the main menu message at the start of the game suggests that it's folded into the side-mission campaign stuff rather than being its own self-contained thing.
Exactly. It's a side story during the events of the main game. You can play it as an optional quest while playing the game like normal.

I got this game today and torn between playing it now or waiting for pro next month. Does it support HDR on pro or is it just 4K/effects stuff?

LegendX48

Just started playing. Never touched the X1 version so don't know how the controls compare, but they feel awful here. The camera seems to have a noticeable delay between your moving the stick and it responding. Really don't like it. I can deal with large dead zones, but the delayed response just makes controlling Lara feel sluggish.

I don't remember this being an issue in the DE version of the original and remember thoroughly enjoying the controls.

Not a great start but I'll persist and hopefully will adapt to how things are.

TR 2013 Definitive Edition ran at a higher frame rate which gave more responsive controls. Only played about 20 minutes of the PS4 version of ROTR but the response time/input lag seemed typical of 30fps games to me *shrug*

Played about 4 hours of it and i'm pretty disappointed. The set pieces are tired and predictable, the story is dumb, and worst of all the controls and gunplay feel really off. Combat is just garbage so far. I really liked TR13 so I'm hoping this one just takes a while to find its rhythm.

Archtreyz

When can you start using the classic Lara skins. I have the other pre-order ones, it looks like, I just don't see the PS1 ones.

Welp... now I'm worried. In class, I got a message that my package was signed for by somebody but I don't recognize the signature.... I REALLY hope the delivery guy just signed it and left it at my doorstep..... but if he/she did... why does the screen say my package was left at a office by somebody named ALSTON????

I'm rushing home now....

I hope to God the delivery guy left my games there OR a very nice neighbor decided to be a hero and signed it and is planning to give it to me.

I'm worried as hell.
You should probably call UPS....like...right now.

I know this is the PS4 thread but google isn't giving me anything on this; the XB1 version just popped a 1777MB update. Any news on what it's for?

So for those who've finished Blood Ties,
I'm missing three relics and I have no idea where they are. There's nothing in the menu's saying "Search Croft Manor for this" so I'm assuming I'm missing a whole category.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I've searched all over this damned house and have no idea where these last three could be :<

Anung

Un Rama
Played some of this today and I'm enjoying everything about it apart from the combat. Which feels like a huge downgrade from the first.

Got the game earlier this afternoon and I'm having a pretty good time with it.

Played the first two hours of the single player and although the story is pretty average I am enjoying the gameplay. It plays very similar to TR13DE which means its more of the same which in this case is a good thing.

One issue I've encountered which I know many others have also is the input lag, it's pretty awful and does make shooting feel very sluggish. Hopefully, a patch comes quickly to fix the issue.

I tried to play Co-op with the Endurance mode but the servers weren't having any of it so I just played solo. I really like this mode and actually had a lot of fun playing it. It can be difficult but the card element lets you make it easier or harder in a variety of different ways.

If anyone is interested here's a half hour of solo Endurance with the Classic Bomber Jacket Lara.

https://youtu.be/_fgOcUwE5Fc

Also if you want to see the moment a bear, two wolfs and a guy with a flamethrower jump me at once click this link.

https://youtu.be/_fgOcUwE5Fc?t=26m20s

Katori

Finished Syria and a tiny bit of Siberia, then did Blood Ties. Blood Ties was very cool. I tried to play the zombie thing but I'm not advanced enough with the combat for that yet.

So for those who've finished Blood Ties,
I'm missing three relics and I have no idea where they are. There's nothing in the menu's saying "Search Croft Manor for this" so I'm assuming I'm missing a whole category.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I've searched all over this damned house and have no idea where these last three could be :<

For me, it said "additional relics will unlock as you complete the main campaign". So I'll just go back later.

Almost an hour in. The game still hasn't really start it but I'm enjoying it thus far.

Though I do have a bone to pick with it. What's up with Lara's ass being shoved into our faces every damn minute? Some of the camera angles are just ridiculous. I'm usually not bothered by these sort of stuff but this is seriously getting distracting. I hope once
the game comes back to snowy environment and lesser tight clothing
for this to go away as well.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Not a single review mentions the massive deadzone. Lol get fucked.

BeeDog

Received my copy today and managed to play up to the second base camp. First impressions are quite good; interesting environment, good graphics, amazing facial animation but shitty writing and really bad voice acting. The aiming also does feel a bit off, hard to pull of bow shots I feel.

Bladenic

I wish I could've not killed
the poor guy who's eyes get pushed inward by that dick Konstantin. I tried not to but the explosion killed him, RIP though he was probably blind so. Although I looked at his dead model and his eyes were fine lmao.

I made the mistake of looking at the trees in the far background on the mountain. Yikes.

When can you start using the classic Lara skins. I have the other pre-order ones, it looks like, I just don't see the PS1 ones.

Unfortunately they're locked until you finish the game, then you can use them to explore and get whatever you missed or you can replay chapters using those skins.

I'm not sure if my game is bugged and you're supposed to actually have classic outfits cards to replay chapters, but I didn't get any and the only way to use a classic outfit in replay chapter is to equip it while exploring and then replaying a chapter. That's weird considering other outfits have cards...

WHAT THE HELL!!!

Why couldn't they do like The Witcher 3.... why putting the game inside the art book itself instead of a regular PS4 case, that will totally ruin the collection I've worked really hard and LONG years to build.

I'm so pissed and angry and annoyed now :\

If this is not annoyed for you then good for you.... but for ME this is freaking annoying :mad:

If this was first print only then I will wait for a regular version.... serouisly this is so annoying.

This is the only way I'm going to buy the game:

14591700_10157509619430632_1827020812759298253_n.jpg

Other than that... no way in hell I'm going to buy the game.

Ummmm wow.

I mean, I'll admit I was a bit annoyed when I opened my Amazon package and saw this in a different case....but man. It's not that big of a deal.

Not a single review mentions the massive deadzone. Lol get fucked.

I don't think any reviews for the XB1 version mentioned this either.

It's becoming harder and harder to get accurate info from gaming outlets. It's pretty frustrating .

Hopefully this gets patched, because Nixxes is a god-tier port studio.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Xbox 360 version apparently had no input lag even at 30fps.
360 version used an entirely different, and much simpler rendering setup. Probably a totally different engine actually.

I did not notice any yet (playing with aim assist anyway), but that dead zone of the right stick is irritating me every time move the camera.
What you are experiencing is probably in fact input lag. Here's how you can see if the deadzone is large: move the stick just slightly off center - keep it there - and see if the aim moves. If it does, then the deadzone is not big. The problem with input lag is the aim movement lags behind your thumb movement too much, which creates an illusion that the deadzone is huge, when it probably isn't.

0racle

Played about 4 hours of it and i'm pretty disappointed. The set pieces are tired and predictable, the story is dumb, and worst of all the controls and gunplay feel really off. Combat is just garbage so far. I really liked TR13 so I'm hoping this one just takes a while to find its rhythm.

Crap, I felt that way about the other game too, maybe this is not for me, especially with gow4, fh3 and all the shooters a few weeks away.

Ok yep, time to return.

Wanderer5

Blood Ties was so damn good. It was pretty fun exploring the manor, searching for clues, and figuring out the answers to the puzzles. This type of stuff should appear more in the next game. Also quite a few easter eggs of previous games like the
Venice music and Jade Dragon with mention of Temple of Xian from TR2.

Very nice update so far, and course I couldn't contain myself when I don the TR2 bomber jacket skin.:D Too bad the Valiant Explorer isn't in the PC version yet, but it will.

Top Bottom