• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

MisterR

I've been reading a lot of people saying they are waiting until the game is sub $20 before they buy it....

I might be guilty of this as well...

From everything I've seen the DLC is lackluster at best. The port doesn't seem like it's anything special. No visual or major performance upgrades and sounds like the input lag is still even there, or at least a large dead zone. So you're paying 60 bucks for a game that you can pick up for 20-25 bucks on Xbox One and that SE has put no special energy into improving or making a true value. Hold out a month and it will be 30 bucks or lower.

firelogic

From everything I've seen the DLC is lackluster at best. The port doesn't seem like it's anything special. No visual or major performance upgrades and sounds like the input lag is still even there, or at least a large dead zone. So you're paying 60 bucks for a game that you can pick up for 20-25 bucks on Xbox One and that SE has put no special energy into improving or making a true value. Hold out a month and it will be 30 bucks or lower.

Yeah I can pick up the XB1 version for $25. But what am I going to play it on? Should I buy an XB1 along with it? I think it's going to cost me more than $60 to do that. Advice please.

MisterR

Yeah I can pick up the XB1 version for $25. But what am I going to play it on? Should I buy an XB1 along with it? I think it's going to cost me more than $60 to do that. Advice please.

Advice is right in the post you responded to, wait a month and get it for a much cheaper price.

Did anyone else pre-order this from game? I received a package with pack of Tomb Raider themed cards (Which I didn't realise was a pre-order bonus), but I didn't actually receive the game itself, or any kind of receipt. The dispatch email was sent at 5:20pm, so it's possible that it may come tomorrow, but it seems weird to send the cards without the game.

Cornbread78

can anyone provide picture of this artbook edition?

GvFOKe0.jpg

Liamc723

WHAT THE HELL!!!

Why couldn't they do like The Witcher 3.... why putting the game inside the art book itself instead of a regular PS4 case, that will totally ruin the collection I've worked really hard and LONG years to build.

I'm so pissed and angry and annoyed now :\

If this is not annoyed for you then good for you.... but for ME this is freaking annoying :mad:

If this was first print only then I will wait for a regular version.... serouisly this is so annoying.

This is the only way I'm going to buy the game:

14591700_10157509619430632_1827020812759298253_n.jpg

Other than that... no way in hell I'm going to buy the game.

That's just plain weird.

Yazuka

So there's is no other version than the artbook version? A damn shame, I do not like editions like that. I just want a regular case for my game.
Guess I really have to wait and hope the release a regular version, is still love to play this game.

I want a normal ps4 case and not this artbook thing that screws up my collection! Give me choice square!!
Yeah! Same here!

SkylineRKR

I don't remember any problems on XB1 except the pretty noticeable input lag. What issues do you have with it?

Huge deadzones making it nearly impossible to line up headshots. I've been playing this game all week and it sucks ass. DF said there isn't input lag etc but I knew something was off. Now I read others dislike it as well. It seems to be more deadzone than input lag though.

Redhood

Read the patch notes.

Additional Season Pass Content
Also at 9:00am PDT we will grant all Season Pass holders the following packs:
Apex Predator Pack
Hope’s Bastion Pack
Remnant Resistance Pack
Sparrowhawk Pack
Tactical Survivor Pack
The Valiant Explorer Pack will also be added to the Season Pass soon.

Thank you SE for making all the Pre-Order DLC free on PC.

1) buy an xb1
2) find something else to play till the price drops
3) pay full price for a year old game :) ...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Im looking forward to what DF has to say regarding input lag/dead zone. Never had an issue on PC but it was awful on the Xbox One and they said it wasn't a problem on an earlier build of the PS4 version.

For first time players something to make the game more enjoyable is to ignore the extra bloat and collectibles. In the region summary page focus on the more interesting and useful collectibles and side content. Relics, documents, and murals give backstory/lore. Strongboxes give you weapon parts. Missions, tombs, and crypt treasures give you useful skills, rewards and gear. Ignore survival caches, coin caches and challenges as they just kill the pacing and are a pain to do them all. The amount of backtracking to collect survival/coin caches is terrible and challenges are a pain trying to complete them all without using guide. It's infuriating to completely comb through a map only to have coin/survival caches magically form there later on once you find specific backpack or monolith. It really drags the game down trying to collect all that junk and do all the menial tasks.

-You will have more than enough resources to craft with by gathering/hunting so there is no need to collect survival caches.
-You will have more than enough coins to make a few purchases by exploring/doing missions so there is no need to collect coin caches.
-You will have more than enough skill points for any skill you want doing everything else so there is no need to complete challenges.

Another thing I would recommend is turning off Survival instincts all together. Certain skills will make pickups automatically glow gold and traps automatically glow red which completely takes you out of the game and ruins the element of surprise.
Im working on coverage now but...it sucks. The dead zone and lag issues are just as they were on Xbox One. I don't know if it changed since the MP demo I played or what but it feels bad. Disappointed.

Eblo

Played the previous game on impulse two months ago, what a pleasant surprise that was. I really look forward to playing this as soon as UPS swings by. Here we go!

Wagram

It's still a shame how this entire thing went down. The game is worth the $60, but I really can't blame people for feeling slighted.

Bladenic

Game is pretty

I'm glad to see they waste no time in beating the fuck out of Lara and getting her wet

Lara was way too calm when
she was crawling in a tight space with scorpions everywhere.

I want a normal ps4 case and not this artbook thing that screws up my collection! Give me choice square!!

So there's is no other version than the artbook version? A damn shame, I do not like editions like that. I just want a regular case for my game.
Guess I really have to wait and hope the release a regular version, is still love to play this game.

Yeah! Same here!
If it's as they mentioned ( Limited Edition Art Book ) and ( Limited Quantities )... then the 2nd print or later on should be available as a regular version, hope it's not that long.

That's just plain weird.
Well forgive us for liking and wanting and caring about different things than you do.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Im working on coverage now but...it sucks. The dead zone and lag issues are just as they were on Xbox One. I don't know if it changed since the MP demo I played or what but it feels bad. Disappointed.
My guess: MP mode has less input lag, as it features less ambitions rendering pipeline. Usually input lag of this scale comes into play when a developer does a rendering pipeline that's more complex than what a hardware should realistically be dealing with, so the time to render frames is simply too long. Killzone 2 and Uncharted 3 come to mind. On the other hand we've seen highgly ambitions rendering games that have much less input lag, so maybe the developer simply doesn't know how to work around issues of this kind. Either way, I think people hoping for a patch that can solve this are hoping in vain because probably something too complex and too drastic would need to be done to make it happen. The only likely 'patch' here for console version will be to play it on PS4Pro in unlocked framerate mode.

The new content on PC (Blood Ties and Lara's Nightmare) has a bad performance on DX12 :/ the framerate drops a lot. But on DX11 runs great! Anyone with the same problem?

Yazuka

Hope it's actually happening...... a regular version......
Yeah, no kidding. I'm on twitter and saying I want one on both Square Enix and the official Tomb Raider account. Some people might think this is lame to complain about something like this, but I want my regular cases for my games. I do not care for special cases or steelbooks.

jett

D-Member
Im looking forward to what DF has to say regarding input lag/dead zone. Never had an issue on PC but it was awful on the Xbox One and they said it wasn't a problem on an earlier build of the PS4 version.

The input lag is absolutely terrible on PC when you lock the framerate to 30. I found it unplayable.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Op missed out the Collectors Edition....don't blame them though.

TripOpt55

Really disappointed to hear there is still lag or deadzone issues. It was my biggest issue with the Xbox One version and I was looking forward to playing the game without dealing with that on PS4 :| Love this game but that was part of the reason I was excited to play it again on PS4 (I don't have a gaming PC, so can't use that option).

rtcn63

For first time players something to make the game more enjoyable is to ignore the extra bloat and collectibles. In the region summary page focus on the more interesting and useful collectibles and side content. Relics, documents, and murals give backstory/lore. Strongboxes give you weapon parts. Missions, tombs, and crypt treasures give you useful skills, rewards and gear. Ignore survival caches, coin caches and challenges as they just kill the pacing and are a pain to do them all. The amount of backtracking to collect survival/coin caches is terrible and challenges are a pain trying to complete them all without using guide. It's infuriating to completely comb through a map only to have coin/survival caches magically form there later on once you find specific backpack or monolith. It really drags the game down trying to collect all that junk and do all the menial tasks.

-You will have more than enough resources to craft with by gathering/hunting so there is no need to collect survival caches.
-You will have more than enough coins to make a few purchases by exploring/doing missions so there is no need to collect coin caches.
-You will have more than enough skill points for any skill you want doing everything else so there is no need to complete challenges.

Another thing I would recommend is turning off Survival instincts all together. Certain skills will make pickups automatically glow gold and traps automatically glow red which completely takes you out of the game and ruins the element of surprise.

Yeah, ROTTR is on the absurdly easy side. The placement of explosive barrels, munitions, crafting material, etc. is explicitly designed for you to mow your way through without need for care. Even on hard (on the original release at least), the game was significantly less of a challenge than the normal difficulty of other shooters like Uncharted. Lara becomes a walking armory very quickly.

Papacheeks

Banned
Anyone buy games from CDKEYS? They have the 20th celebration edition for PC $27.99.

If they are legit I'm diving in!!

Lady Gaia

Played through the opening sequence last night and I'm looking forward to diving in further. I do get the impression that this would have been a bigger "wow!" release last year when I wouldn't be mentally comparing everything to Uncharted 4. It doesn't feel as impressive from a pure technology standpoint and the characters certainly aren't as thoughtfully presented. Then again I'm just getting started and I fully expect the distinct gameplay experience to keep me engaged even if I roll my eyes at the dialogue and storytelling from time to time.

There's still the potential for some jaw-dropping moments here. I'm sure the PS4 Pro enhancements will impress and wish my system was here already. I also wish I had our 4K HDR display on hand and look forward to going through some of these scenes again to see some of dramatic vistas that occur early on. Has anyone started an HDR play-through?

Suspecting what I'm missing may tempt me to temporarily shelve RotTR to focus on other titles in my backlog until November 10th. Xcom 2 has its hooks in me already but a month is a long time...

Top Bottom