• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't matter if it's a timed exclusive or not.. Not supporting this bullshit, even if it ends up on PS4 1 year later.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Except it was never announced as a multiplatform game. Find me a press release from square or from a square/eidos employee stating what systems it is going to be on. Yes some gaming sites and retailers posted it for both, but nothing from Square ever stated what systems it was on other than the Xbox logo at the end of the E3 demo.

Now we all can assume it was being made for both (just like those gaming sites and retailers), but we might be wrong. Who knows...

MS at the time of the E3 conference was treating the game as a multiplatform game.

swQle6g.png

Somnia

MS at the time of the E3 conference was treating the game as a multiplatform game.

Uh it was mixed it with all of the 2015 games, they never said "hey this is multiplatform!". Like someone said earlier more than likely a contract had not been finalized yet hence Square never saying anything about platforms.

riotous

Banned
It totally depends on the situation. Silent Hill has a close history with the PS brand, and the franchise has been weak as of late. If Sony helped fund it or worked in collaboration in some capacity it might be different.

The TR one just stinks because it's a franchise that has just never been associated with Xbox in any real way, and just put out a game last year that was on all platforms, only to suddenly be an Xbox exclusive.

This entire concept is a bit biased towards Sony (and Nintendo, and Microsoft if anyone else wants to enter the market)

How is any competitor supposed to enter a market where the consumers treat the product like there is some entitlement simply because of brand history?

In a market where some of the best selling products by far are the ones that are from franchises that existed before you've entered it?

So now a huge swath of all of the available business partners aren't available to you for exclusive agreements because of some "I'm entitled because of history" concept consumers claim right to?

I get some of the complaints here; in general the practice just kind of sucks as a consumer. I own all of these devices and it bothers me as the Xbox One would be my last choice to play the game on.. but we aren't all entitled to game sequels on the devices we buy; and we also have no clue why these deals happen.

In an era of publishers shutting down, developers not getting paid, etc. you'd think we'd be more understanding as gamers of deals that get made that might help these companies out.

So, you're telling me that SE is dumb because they've made a decision that probably makes financial sense, perhaps cutting down development costs, fostering a better relationship with MS, etc, and you're offended because you're a fan and can't play it on a console you own. The sense of entitlement in this thread is ridiculous. SE doesn't owe you shit. They are there to make money, pure and simple. I'm sorry if fanboy jimmies are getting rustled, but no one here can easily suggest that SE is dumb without knowing the actual metrics and deal struck with MS on this. The vitriol here is infuriating.

It makes financial sense to alienate 70% of your fan base.....okay.

Cutting down dev costs, what are you talking about? PS4 and PC SKU's are most likely still in dev. MS simply gave SE money to push the other platform SKU's to a later date.

They didn't help SE with development from what I've read. They aren't publishing it either.

No matter where you go, tombraider forums, youtube, IGN, tumblr or neogaf you will see what gamers and TR fans think of this. Their message is clear.

DynDasE

Neo Member
Åesop;125100719 said:
It doesn't matter if it's a timed exclusive or not.. Not supporting this bullshit, even if it ends up on PS4 1 year later.

Exactly !
I return my favour to MS and SQEX reciprocally.

AniHawk

i'm not sure i understand if the outrage is from a fundamental level or not. are people also up in arms about dreamfall chapters becoming a ps4 exclusive and wild being snatched up by sony?

This entire concept is a bit biased towards Sony (and Nintendo.)

How is any competitor supposed to enter a market where the consumers treat the product like there is some entitlement simply because of brand history?

In a market where some of the best selling products by far are the ones that are from franchises that existed before you've entered it?

So now a huge swath of all of the available business partners aren't available to you for exclusive agreements because of some "I'm entitled because of history" concept consumers claim right to?

I get some of the complaints here; in general the practice just kind of sucks as a consumer. I own all of these devices and it bothers me as the Xbox One would be my last choice to play the game on.. but we aren't all entitled to game sequels on the devices we buy; and we also have no clue why these deals happen.

In an era of publishers shutting down, developers not getting paid, etc. you'd think we'd be more understanding as gamers of deals that get made that might help these companies out.

I agree with everything you said, I'm not trying to paint MS as the bad guy. In fact I don't blame them for trying to secure some big franchises as leverage to gain customers.

I just think it sucks in general when something that has gained a loyal following on a certain platform suddenly becomes unavailable to those consumers. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed TR after playing it on PS4, and looking forward to the sequel before learning of this.

I completely understand why the deal was made - I just don't like it. I also don't like how grossly Sony has been promoting Destiny as "BETTER ON PLAYSTATION". It all rubs me the wrong way.

Swarming101

So, you're telling me that SE is dumb because they've made a decision that probably makes financial sense, perhaps cutting down development costs, fostering a better relationship with MS, etc, and you're offended because you're a fan and can't play it on a console you own. The sense of entitlement in this thread is ridiculous. SE doesn't owe you shit. They are there to make money, pure and simple. I'm sorry if fanboy jimmies are getting rustled, but no one here can easily suggest that SE is dumb without knowing the actual metrics and deal struck with MS on this. The vitriol here is infuriating.

If wanting a game that has always been multiplat to remain multiplat is entitlement then everything and nothing is. You've dropped the bar so low the word no longer has any meaning. Congrats.

Also strange that it's taken less than 24 hours for the XB1 fanboys to so twist the terminology used to discuss gaming that it is now considered 'fanboyish' behaviour to want to play a game in a series that has always been multiplatform, yet wanting that game to only be available on one's own platform (namely, XB1) is not. Coincidental, hmm?

No one knows for sure because Microsoft are such masters at getting a message across.
Which suggests to me it is timed or will also come to at least PC.

If it is fully exclusive they would have no need to dodge questions from the press about their wording etc and could clearly say, yes it is fully exclusive to Xbox.

REALLY smart move by Microsoft, seemingly dumb move by Square-Enix. I wonder how big the truck full of money was?

I wouldn't call it smart yet. We haven't even seen the game yet to have any clear indication on how much of an audience grabber that title would be.

For all we know, Microsoft wasted millions provided by unhappy investors. It's just too early to tell. Aside from Halo, Uncharted, and The Division, we don't know much of the 2015 holiday season lineups currently to make any calls.

This is an interesting new level of desperation from MS.

I enjoyed Tomb Raider (2013) quite a bit but if MS thinks I'm going to buy a Bone just for the sequel they are crazy.

It makes financial sense to alienate 70% of your fan base.....okay.

Cutting down dev costs, what are you talking about? PS4 and PC SKU's are most likely still in dev. MS simply gave SE money to push the other platform SKU's to a later date.

They didn't help SE with development from what I've read. They aren't publishing it either.

No matter where you go, tombraider forums, youtube, IGN, tumblr or neogaf you will see what gamers and TR fans think of this. Their message is clear.

A) Cutting down development costs at a macro level because of the money that's given to SE. It isn't rocket science. Think on that for a second.

B) You read that they didn't help with development? Great, and? Do you want MS to be hands on or off with the project? It doesn't matter regardless because I don't know what the point is here.

C) No matter where you go, people will spout off that anything that doesn't allow them to do what they want without spending more money is inherently "anti-consumer" and other fun words. Go through any thread with exclusives, it's always a fun time. Remember when FF13 went multiplat? People treated it as if SE had murdered their family and that they somehow owed something to Sony and the "fans."

D) Your alienation metric is interesting. Assuming you're using the DE sales, how does that take into account people who do own both consoles but chose the PS4 version? Additionally, how does that take into account people who will a) eventually be XB1 owners and b) people who will get an XB1 for the game itself?

Break down D for me and we can actually get somewhere with this.

If wanting a game that has always been multiplat to remain multiplat is entitlement then everything and nothing is. You've dropped the bar so low the word no longer has any meaning. Congrats.

Also strange that it's taken less than 24 hours for the XB1 fanboys to so twist the terminology used to discuss gaming that it is now considered 'fanboyish' behaviour to want to play a game in a series that has always been multiplatform, yet wanting that game to only be available on one's own platform (namely, XB1) is not. Coincidental, hmm?

Yes. People complaining that they're owed a game on their platform of choice is a sense of entitlement. I am not sure what you're attempting to point out. If you don't see the vitriol of the matter in this, I don't know what to say. Read a dictionary?

Secondly, I don't care if more or less people are able to play the game. What I do care is that companies are given the ability to work within their right to actually broker and calculate the deals that they wish to do. I've owned every PS system, Nintendo system (sans the micro), and Xbox system to date. I'm not here to choose sides. Nor, do I care if a game goes to one side, multi platform, or eventually goes iOS. It isn't my call to make. My call as the consumer is to vote with my wallet, which establishes the precedent for these companies to make decisions. Lambasting S-E or MS for brokering a deal, without knowing more, is ludicrous.

There really shouldn't be any speculation about this at all. It clearly is a timed exclusive. We all know how well Titanfall's exclusivity turned out. Square-Enix completely foregoing sales on the highest-selling next-gen console not only in North America, but especially in Europe? Not. A. Chance.

David___

Banned
we will see once silent hill gets announced as a ps4 exclusive i guess

Why are people expecting it to be exclusive? The teaser is just a more interesting way of revealing a game instead of just announcing it. Its no different when the manufactures have an exclusive marketing deal honestly.

Metallix87

Depending on how much Microsoft paid, it could be a really dumb move by Microsoft and a really smart move by Square Enix.

I don't think there's any way that Microsoft lost on this transaction. Even if it's only timed exclusive for 6 - 12 months, that's still a HUGE title for Microsoft to secure.

Smart? Right... How's Titanfall doing in moving those consoles..? That was supposed to be a bigger game than even Tomb Raider.

Are you saying that was a mistake? Titanfall sold well, and definitely helped the system out.

Xando

It's not so much that TR2013 or TR in general isn't good, but buying exclusive rights to a series that arguably hasn't really been a killer app or a system seller since the PS1 is kind of.. strange, I'd say.
Thats what i thought aswell. TR 2013 wasnt bad by no means but it isnt a killer app.
I thought if MS buys a third party exclusive it will be something like Mass effect 4 or fallout 4.

i'm not sure i understand if the outrage is from a fundamental level or not. are people also up in arms about dreamfall chapters becoming a ps4 exclusive and wild being snatched up by sony?

I'm pretty sure it's

1. On fundamental level / principles primarily
2. TR:DE did really well on PS4 (game drought aside) even pushing 2:1 PS4:XB1
3. TR has always been a PS (& PC) franchise.
4. Also, almost all of the lastest TR games have been multi, have they not?

Soi-Fong

I don't think there's any way that Microsoft lost on this transaction. Even if it's only timed exclusive for 6 - 12 months, that's still a HUGE title for Microsoft to secure.

Are you saying that was a mistake? Titanfall sold well, and definitely helped the system out.

Helped the system out? Yes. Helped the system as much as they wanted? No..

grimmiq

Really?

Can't just hope new writers and up-and-coming developers takeover the franchise instead of condemning thousands of people?

I see that as less likely, if we didn't get an entire generation of Lightning, I'd be more optimistic.

But I'll admit that I'm being over-dramatic..Just getting tired of seeing SE self-destructing and want it to be over.

Sipheren

Banned
Why does the thread title say timed exclusive when Darrell Gallagher seems pretty clear about it being Xbox Exclusive.

Until someone actually says otherwise it should be assumed to be exclusive.

It's a good move for MS, Sony or anyone would do the same if they have half a brain and the money. Exclusives are the only thing that really separates the systems in my view (hardware is nice but in the long run not that important, I drop $600 for games not a pretty box with nothing on it).

From the OP:
As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox.

JC Lately

I was going to wait for the PS+ sale for it anyway if it had come to PS4, so I guess I’m part of the problem S-E wanted to avoid.

If it’s timed I’ll buy it eventually. If it’s a permanent exclusive, oh well. Plenty of other games to play. Considering my back log, Microsoft might have just done me a favor

icespide

Banned
if they had just announced this as an exclusive back at E3 when they unveiled the game I think the actual backlash wouldn't be as bad.

there would still be backlash of course but at least they wouldn't have been cagey about what platforms this will be released on.

the fact of the matter is, intentional or not, people were mislead into thinking this game would be multi-platform

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just struck me that they are trying to avoid directly competing with Uncharted, which lets face it, should do extremely well considering the momentum ND have gained with TLOU.

Most likely its a timed exclusive with an option open for full exclusivity down the line, hence the very specific wording used when talking about the situation.

Either way, the fact that MS are resorting to buying an exclusive for holiday 2015 doesn't fill me with confidence for the rest of their line-up in that period.

Top Bottom